Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The curious case of Trent Richardson

ReMeDy

After the fumble, we rarely saw Richardson back in the game. The lone time I noticed he was in was for a deception play out of shotgun where Luck took it himself for a big run. Did Chuck Pagano or Pep Hamilton pull the plug?

Going back to the fumble, I was most confused by the play-call. Why run an outside pitch play with Richardson, who is effectively a power back? Seeing him run that play was like watching Neo dodge bullets in slow motion, and fail. If you want to run that play, use Donald Brown.

As for how Trent fumbled the ball, it appeared he was swapping hands with the football. No one forced that fumble; he simply dropped it. I wondered how such a physical beast, like Richardson, could be so inept, when I realized he might share an issue Adrian Peterson had in 2010... His biceps are too big. Yes, that's right. The idea is when the HB's biceps are big, it's harder to wrap your arms around the ball. Peterson is also known for fighting for yards that aren't there -- another common issue shared by Richardson. I know it's only one fumble, but Trent should work on carrying a heavy football during practice, like Peterson did... and less emphasis on gym bicep curls!
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/07/adrian-peterson-hopes-heavy-football-helps-reduce-fumbles/

Trent didn't play much after that, that is true....and despite whether you are for against Trent in terms of talent, ability etc.....I was more concerned that it looked like the fumble really got to him, I mean he looked as confused as a 3 eyed dog in a hub cap factory on a couple of blitz pick ups later in the game.....Whether you think he should be in the game or not the fact is, its Him and Donald to the bitter end, there is no better "choice" out there....no pun intended

Listen, I'm a big fan of Trent Richardson, and think there's plenty of potential with him going forward. He's the running back of the future, no doubt.

Just, right now, with Brown playing the way he is, they shouldn't really put Richardson in, and when he does go in, can he not fumble the ball. You teach kids in high school, in HIGH SCHOOL, to not switch hands when in traffic. That's what he did, he fumbled the ball, and he helped give the Chiefs 7 points. I was extremely disappointed.

I'm definitely not giving up on him, and as I said before, he's the future at running back, and I still think he's going to be a perennial 1000 yard running back in the future, but right now, he doesn't look ready and good. Stick to Brown. I'm very upset at him, and this is coming from a big fan of his.

On that play first of all he tried to do to much to get extra yardage second he shouldn't have tried to switch the ball to his other hand at that moment when he had the Chiefs d on him and around him. he has to protect the ball at that point. Hopefully he can correct his faults running the ball and the Colts find an O line and figure how to use TR better. i want to see what he does next year with a full mini camps OTA and training camp before i give up on him. it seems to me it has taken Donald brown a few years to be productive so we must give TR a chance.

He tried to switch his ball carrying hand in traffic.

Every ball carrier is taught to never do this, not just running backs.\

EDIT: He isn't worth the 1st round pick, but since we have him we might as well try to make him fit in. 

All he's good for is pass blocking, catching a few passes out of the backfield, and a few run plays that have been effective for him.

However outside runs, such as the pitch play he fumbled on. Is something he really shouldn't be doing.. maybe Pep thought he could fool the D?

After the fumble, we rarely saw Richardson back in the game. The lone time I noticed he was in was for a deception play out of shotgun where Luck took it himself for a big run. Did Chuck Pagano or Pep Hamilton pull the plug?

Going back to the fumble, I was most confused by the play-call. Why run an outside pitch play with Richardson, who is effectively a power back? Seeing him run that play was like watching Neo dodge bullets in slow motion, and fail. If you want to run that play, use Donald Brown.

As for how Trent fumbled the ball, it appeared he was swapping hands with the football. No one forced that fumble; he simply dropped it. I wondered how such a physical beast, like Richardson, could be so inept, when I realized he might share an issue Adrian Peterson had in 2010... His biceps are too big. Yes, that's right. The idea is when the HB's biceps are big, it's harder to wrap your arms around the ball. Peterson is also known for fighting for yards that aren't there -- another common issue shared by Richardson. I know it's only one fumble, but Trent should work on carrying a heavy football during practice, like Peterson did... and less emphasis on gym bicep curls!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/07/adrian-peterson-hopes-heavy-football-helps-reduce-fumbles/

He just isn't a terribly heady player. He tried to switch hands at the wrong time. That's not when you switch hands.

Listen, I'm a big fan of Trent Richardson, and think there's plenty of potential with him going forward. He's the running back of the future, no doubt.

Just, right now, with Brown playing the way he is, they shouldn't really put Richardson in, and when he does go in, can he not fumble the ball. You teach kids in high school, in HIGH SCHOOL, to not switch hands when in traffic. That's what he did, he fumbled the ball, and he helped give the Chiefs 7 points. I was extremely disappointed.

I'm definitely not giving up on him, and as I said before, he's the future at running back, and I still think he's going to be a perennial 1000 yard running back in the future, but right now, he doesn't look ready and good. Stick to Brown. I'm very upset at him, and this is coming from a big fan of his.

"He's the running back of the future, no doubt."       WUT, there is a whole lotta doubt there my friend. 

Trent Richard fumble, Donald Brown fumble, and Luck threw 3 int's...players make mistakes.  You don't give up on a talent like Treat Richards.  He didn't return because we were using a faster pace offense that suits Donald Brown better.  Next year we all will see what Trent can do when we have a power run blocking o-line.  Just be patient and stop over-reacting.

I agree 200% because I am one of Trent's biggest supporters but he shouldn't be playing much the rest of the playoffs. Only to give Brown some rest. He needs to take the offseason and learn the playbook, lose some of that muscle and figure out if he really wants to be great or just a back that gets 5-10 carries a game

"He's the running back of the future, no doubt."       WUT, there is a whole lotta doubt there my friend. 

The guy's 23 years old, and the Colts traded a 1st round pick for him. I don't think they plan on making him the backup in future seasons. Plus, the sky's the limit for him. Just because he had an off sophomore season doesn't mean he's garbage. ESPN called him the best RB in the league in 2016. He's got talent and potentail.

So yes, he's the running back of the future. 

The guy's 23 years old, and the Colts traded a 1st round pick for him. I don't think they plan on making him the backup in future seasons. Plus, the sky's the limit for him. Just because he had an off sophomore season doesn't mean he's garbage. ESPN called him the best RB in the league in 2016. He's got talent and potentail.

I hope just because we traded a pick for him that it doesn't make us start him. Best player should be getting majority of carries imo.

What??? How the heck can anybody predict who's the best anything 3 yrs. into the future? Heck Richardson could be out of the league in 2016. Is this a typo on your part, or pure unadulterated nonsense on ESPN's part?

The playcall was utterly ridiculous. Richardson doesn't have the speed nor do we have the proper blocking to be running sweeps/pitches, especially when we motion the outside receiver away from the pitch direction. Not Pep's finest call of the night. 

The fumble was what it was. He was trying to get extra yards on a busted play and tried to switch hands at the wrong time. Young mistake. We didn't use the backs a lot in tonight's game though, so I'm sure he was benched partially because of the fumble, and partially because we had to force the pass so much when we got down by four touchdowns. 

What??? How the heck can anybody predict who's the best anything 3 yrs. into the future? Heck Richardson could be out of the league in 2016. Is this a typo on your part, or pure unadulterated nonsense on ESPN's part?

Take it for what it's worth. ESPN wrote the article, I'm just repeating it. I don't think he'll be the top back in a few years, but just saying, potential is there.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9396408/trent-richardson-leads-top-10-running-backs-2016-nfl

Not happy at all with the fumble, but Donald could have one upped him on the 1 yard line.

These things happen and bounces don't go your way.

Looked like the defender hit his arm as he was trying to switch hands. Not sure though I would have to see a replay.

It was bad fundamentals. It has nothing to do with his biceps. You NEVER switch hands while running through traffic. I sincerely hope the RB coach rips him a new one for that and that he has to sit next week to stew in it. He is a physical beast but he needs to get his head out of his backside and start using it.

Take it for what it's worth. ESPN wrote the article, I'm just repeating it. I don't think he'll be the top back in a few years, but just saying, potential is there.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9396408/trent-richardson-leads-top-10-running-backs-2016-nfl

I don't put much into it at all...if anything! This article was written before this season and I'm willing to bet that this writer would completely redo this prediction after seeing the crap that Richardson brought us this season. I've said before, he'll improve behind a good O-line, but he is not a stud RB at all. He's average at best.

whatever you say, Nostradamus. 

Guest TeamLoloJones

He's actually only 22.

"Going back to the fumble, I was most confused by the play-call. Why run an outside pitch play with Richardson, who is effectively a power back? Seeing him run that play was like watching Neo dodge bullets in slow motion, and fail. If you want to run that play, use Donald Brown"

Thats very predictable and teams would catch on fast...especially the teams in the playoffs....as for the rest...I agree

I dont understand how, this far into the trade, the majority of posters are still defending Trent. I get that the Colts O-line isnt really built for a strong run game, there are injuries and whatnot. But if this guy is as talented as everyone seems to think we would have seen SOMETHING, 1 spectacular run, 1 catch and run, something in the last 8-9 games, whatever it is hes been here. We have seen zip, nothing. Even a number of times on a 3rd and short hes been stuffed, yet he is a "power back"?

I think hes like Heyward-Bey. Somehow he wowed in college (I dont watch college ball, I dont know), was a high draft pick, but when you are playing with the big boys you are just over matched and never live up to the hype. Where is Heyward-Bey now? Special teams. Now if that isnt a fall from grace IDK what is. 

What I knew about Trent before the trade would fit into a thimble. I knew he played at Alabama, was a big name there, was a high draft pick, had "alot of potential" according to the pundits. Well what Ive seen with my own 2 eyes tell me hes average at best. Unless he has the 90s Cowboys O-line in front of him blowing open holes even you and I can run through, I dont think we will ever see this guy do much. Hope Im wrong, but at least Im being realistic with my expectations. 

Trent is good in space. He is a bigger back that has a wiggle to him....he ran behind the most dominant OL college football has ever seen and had holes a truck could fit through...then he could make a move and make a lb miss and stiff arm a tiny cb/s. He looked unbelievable....come to the nfl where even the greatest runners have to see and get through holes that a rat would have problems finding...and they regularly do it. Trent just hasn't learned that yet...he doesn't know how to make himself small/skinny...then big again. Watch Donalds runs when he gets to the hole...and then again after through it. Trent does look better on stretch plays and pitches where his above avg size and speed can make something happen. Hopefully he learns a little more next year but that trade is shaping up to be one of the worst Colts have seen in a long long time. Again...I am hoping he changes....I was actually hoping he would be one of those great post-season backs that chews up yards and salts the clock but switching hands in traffic??? Cancel that. He is now just there to rest Donald...and that is fine...but maybe even Choice would be better if he knew our pass protection. In fact Trent looked lost yesterday on that too...I watched him very closely hoping to see if maybe the post-season would be where he shined....and well..no. All I can say is please please bring in a rb coach that can teach this kid something.

Why do other players get a pass on the "sophomore slump" tag and this guy can't? He was 50 yds shy from being a 1000 yd back last year and had 1300 all purpose yds. Then we get him here, play him the first week of getting here without fully learning the playbook and we treat him like he's the worst RB in the league. Give this guy time people! And I fully believe Trent is not a power back, he's a one-cut back. That's why that play was ran for him because those are the kind of plays he made famous in Alabama. Notice how big Eddie Lacey is and they run that exact same play for him in Green Bay and he's very effective with it because those are the plays they made famous in Alabama. They like to get outside, find an open hole and burst through it. With them running full speed ahead  with their size after they make that one cut, that's what makes them hard to bring down, which makes them look like power backs. And that was only his 2nd or 3rd fumble this season(including time with Cleveland), I wouldn't exactly say he has a fumbling problem yet. At least not one like, say a Steven Ridley.

Let's just cut him. I mean it's his second year and he's on his 3rd coordinator. He's obviously terrible. Let's just be done.

Seriously, guys? It took DB up until now to be appreciated around here. He had Peyton, and still wasn't that great. I say that as one of his biggest supporters coming out. Be patient. I'm not saying Trent will be some Jim Brown, but I think he can be effective when he gets it together. Yes, it was a bad, bad fumble in a big game. However, if it weren't for Luck, Brown's fumble would have been worse.