Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Just Curious....Let's say we win the Lombardi

ColtsHappy

I am a rabid die-hard colts fan - and have been since I was 6 years old - although then it was Unitas and the Baltimore Colts. Being from Indiana, I was THRILLED when we snagged a team in '84 - and couldn't believe it was my beloved Colts. Apparently I look at fandom differently than most. I think it is ok to bring up a certain amount of constructive criticism to the discussion, and openly express your views and opinions about how they can improve the team. But to me, there is a point where you simply don't appear to be a fan anymore. The negativity you spout becomes "drag energy" and seems to negate the idea that you are a supporter of the team. In my view, fans are loyal and behind the team - regardless of circumstances and outcomes - 100% of the time. There is a purity in always coming from a positive place with your team and to me that is what the 12th man is really all about. I love em when they are 3-13, I love em when they are 2-14 and I love em when they are miraculously 11-5 two years in a row - in what were supposed to be retooling years. It seems like the love-hate relationship we all probably share at times for our beloved Colts is sometimes weighted way too far on the HATE side for some. Does anyone else sense this?

Since I live in New York since 1981 - I get huge doses of know-it-all, fickle, bandwagon, armchair coaches AND quarterbacks - which translates to a pocket full of fair-weather fans of the Giants and the Jets. The ones in my area, and of course, I don't speak for all the fans - are for the most part not versed at all in the fine points of the game and have limited football acumen. They only repeat what they hear or read and can really only discuss in limited detail what the quarterback, receivers and running backs are doing. 

They do nothing but call the coaching staff and players "bums" and worse, even  in the same years the Giants won the super bowl. It was amazing to watch these same bum-callers go out and buy the Giant jerseys after a couple of playoff wins - and finally shut their obnoxious mouths. Suddenly and quite magically - the Giants could do no wrong to them - even though they were cursing and calling for Coughlin and Eli's heads a few short weeks earlier. Suddenly  they couldn't stop talking about how even the lowliest of players was a genuine superstar.  I shouldn't let it bother me, but you know- if you are a Peyton fan you are kind of automatically an Eli fan - and I hated seeing and hearing it. This seems to have become a pet peeve of mine over the years - and I stopped going to the area sports bars for this reason a couple of years ago.

So my question is - if we win the Lombardi - or should I say WHEN we win the Lombardi - will the know-it-all, fickle, bandwagon, armchair coaches and quarterbacks on here hold the rude, harsh and sometimes unwarranted bashing for five minutes? Would they actually man-up and admit they were wrong about Pep, Pags, Grigs and the team? Or would they just disappear for a while and take their medicine in silence?

I posted about how TY reminds me in MANY ways of Marvin, even more so the past couple of games - and man oh man - was I off-base! There is at least a one or two inch difference in height and a full 7 pounds of weight difference! That's HUGE! Shame on me, I am SO off-base!  Of course, if TY catches 5 passes in the post season and gets two touchdowns he will equal Marvin - and already has smoked Marvin in receiving yards, comparing their first two seasons. Could it possibly be that when we think of Marvin we think of Marvin the pro-bowler, in his later years? Marvin the veteran of years and years in the league?  That is the Marvin we all remember. Well, he had to start somewhere, and so does Hilton. Anyone remember Marvin's first two years? Well, look at Hilton and for the most part there it is.  You have to go back to when Marvin was merely a budding star and then you see the light. 

Even with multiple shortcomings - which EVERY super bowl winner has had to some degree - the winners still found a way to win.

Yeah, maybe our OL has some shortcomings but what if we win it all? Suddenly the line was MORE than good enough, right? Suddenly - geeeez our O- line was pretty good, it won the super bowl.

Simple as that.  

It would be great if we could get past our insecurities about the possibility of losing and put ALL of our collective energy and faith into winning - support the team 100% and deal with collective heartbreak if and when the time comes - the purity of that would transform us into REAL 12th men and women. 

Why not us? 

ColtsHappy

Sorry about the rant - but I needed this!

Loved the rant!

From a guy who also followed the Colts since the Unitas days, I'm as proud of the way this organization has been run, from the owner to the coaches, as I've ever been.

I've said it before, people will post things here that I'd hope they'd be too embarrassed to say out loud. I've been called names for stating my opinion. Eventually you know just to put those posters on ignore.

There are a ton of really smart posters here. I learn something every day that helps me understand the team and what's going on.

And I whole heartedly agree -Why Not Us?

I will make my rant short an sweet....we have beaten the BEST teams in the NFL.....all of the best teams (Bengals are good too which we lost) Why not play each game like you have never played before...and go for it!!!!!!!!  60 minutes Saturday....NO LESS!

:HFire:  :HFire:  :HFire:  :HFire:  :HFire:  :HFire:  :burnout:

Lol! That's the best you got?

Hey don't get mad at me, I remember after 2011 the Colts were practically begging people to buy season tickets, even after you drafted Luck. Meanwhile the Texans have sold out every game they've ever played. So what does that say about Indy as a football city?

If you win the Lombardi you may actually be able to sell out your home games.

The Colts have sold out every game since 2003. But I will excuse you ignorance, since you are probably on a drunken bender over your disgraceful Houston Texans. Enjoy that next beer in your letterman's jacket.

BULLS ON PARADE!!!

Hey don't get mad at me, I remember after 2011 the Colts were practically begging people to buy season tickets, even after you drafted Luck. Meanwhile the Texans have sold out every game they've ever played. So what does that say about Indy as a football city?

Yeah, you're not trolling. Nor are you bitter.

What does any of this have to do with this thread? I'm not mad at you, I thought it was funny that your response was to go to ticket sales.

You must know that ticket sales have as much to do with the local economy as the love of the team.

Really though, I don't want to derail this thread with a "who has the better fan base" debate. Start another thread if that's your agenda.

Colta have sold out 137 out of 138 of their last home games. If i am not mistaken Houston have one of the highest gdp per capita in the US. Houston's population is well over twice Indy's whilst the stadiun is only a couple thousand more. Indy is doing more with less.

Have fun being the number 2 team in the AFC south for another eternity. Back in your cave, troll.

For a year or more we knew. You appeared from nowhere when Manning went down, and you won a few games. But then.....you are just bitter. Do not even try and compare your tiddly little franchise to the Colts. Cry yourself to sleep in your JJ Watt pyjamas mate.

Boo your own qb so loud that the team has to go to the silent count : )   Texans players knock the fanbase or lack thereof.  I love what all the support from the Texans fans is doing for the team :thmup:  Keep it up!

I am a rabid die-hard colts fan - and have been since I was 6 years old - although then it was Unitas and the Baltimore Colts. Being from Indiana, I was THRILLED when we snagged a team in '84 - and couldn't believe it was my beloved Colts. Apparently I look at fandom differently than most. I think it is ok to bring up a certain amount of constructive criticism to the discussion, and openly express your views and opinions about how they can improve the team. But to me, there is a point where you simply don't appear to be a fan anymore. The negativity you spout becomes "drag energy" and seems to negate the idea that you are a supporter of the team. In my view, fans are loyal and behind the team - regardless of circumstances and outcomes - 100% of the time. There is a purity in always coming from a positive place with your team and to me that is what the 12th man is really all about. I love em when they are 3-13, I love em when they are 2-14 and I love em when they are miraculously 11-5 two years in a row - in what were supposed to be retooling years. It seems like the love-hate relationship we all probably share at times for our beloved Colts is sometimes weighted way too far on the HATE side for some. Does anyone else sense this?

Since I live in New York since 1981 - I get huge doses of know-it-all, fickle, bandwagon, armchair coaches AND quarterbacks - which translates to a pocket full of fair-weather fans of the Giants and the Jets. The ones in my area, and of course, I don't speak for all the fans - are for the most part not versed at all in the fine points of the game and have limited football acumen. They only repeat what they hear or read and can really only discuss in limited detail what the quarterback, receivers and running backs are doing. 

They do nothing but call the coaching staff and players "bums" and worse, even  in the same years the Giants won the super bowl. It was amazing to watch these same bum-callers go out and buy the Giant jerseys after a couple of playoff wins - and finally shut their obnoxious mouths. Suddenly and quite magically - the Giants could do no wrong to them - even though they were cursing and calling for Coughlin and Eli's heads a few short weeks earlier. Suddenly  they couldn't stop talking about how even the lowliest of players was a genuine superstar.  I shouldn't let it bother me, but you know- if you are a Peyton fan you are kind of automatically an Eli fan - and I hated seeing and hearing it. This seems to have become a pet peeve of mine over the years - and I stopped going to the area sports bars for this reason a couple of years ago.

So my question is - if we win the Lombardi - or should I say WHEN we win the Lombardi - will the know-it-all, fickle, bandwagon, armchair coaches and quarterbacks on here hold the rude, harsh and sometimes unwarranted bashing for five minutes? Would they actually man-up and admit they were wrong about Pep, Pags, Grigs and the team? Or would they just disappear for a while and take their medicine in silence?

I posted about how TY reminds me in MANY ways of Marvin, even more so the past couple of games - and man oh man - was I off-base! There is at least a one or two inch difference in height and a full 7 pounds of weight difference! That's HUGE! Shame on me, I am SO off-base!  Of course, if TY catches 5 passes in the post season and gets two touchdowns he will equal Marvin - and already has smoked Marvin in receiving yards, comparing their first two seasons. Could it possibly be that when we think of Marvin we think of Marvin the pro-bowler, in his later years? Marvin the veteran of years and years in the league?  That is the Marvin we all remember. Well, he had to start somewhere, and so does Hilton. Anyone remember Marvin's first two years? Well, look at Hilton and for the most part there it is.  You have to go back to when Marvin was merely a budding star and then you see the light. 

Even with multiple shortcomings - which EVERY super bowl winner has had to some degree - the winners still found a way to win.

Yeah, maybe our OL has some shortcomings but what if we win it all? Suddenly the line was MORE than good enough, right? Suddenly - geeeez our O- line was pretty good, it won the super bowl.

Simple as that.  

It would be great if we could get past our insecurities about the possibility of losing and put ALL of our collective energy and faith into winning - support the team 100% and deal with collective heartbreak if and when the time comes - the purity of that would transform us into REAL 12th men and women. 

Why not us? 

ColtsHappy

Sorry about the rant - but I needed this!

Totally unnecessary, and an over-reaction. You are being blindsided by a small % of trolls, pretend fans. The vast majority on here are true fans, and that does include being a realist. I found most of your post offensive. I find it odd that so called 'true fans' need to attack fellow fans for not seeing unicorns and rainbows. Get over yourself.

This is so dumb. You can do better. Houston is what the 4th largest city with how many millions of people? 

Where's that annoying type face Quiz uses to remind us of your guys two.. count em 2, AFC south titles.

Colts > texans!   :clap:

Colta have sold out 137 out of 138 of their last home games. If i am not mistaken Houston have one of the highest gdp per capita in the US. Houston's population is well over twice Indy's whilst the stadiun is only a couple thousand more. Indy is doing more with less.

Have fun being the number 2 team in the AFC south for another eternity. Back in your cave, troll.

the metro area of Houston is 6.1m vs Indy's 1.7m

texans fans don't get to watch much January and February football. They have to go to as many games as they can

There is a third option.

Thanks, still over double ;). Put it just reinforces my point. Poor texans fans.

Nice 'escape'. Reminded me of a night a few months ago, when I was out having a beer after work. My lovely wife called, and asked when I'd be home (no pressure btw). I said 'soon'. When I finally got home 6 hours later, she was a tad annoyed, and she didn't buy that 'soon' in Scotland was anything up to 3 days. My wife is English, so I got away with it. But I can't use that again apparently. Geez, it's tough being a husband...

Let's see. On Saturday, there's a Pacers game, an IU game, and a Butler game, all scheduled and planned for BEFORE the NFL released playoff schedules. Plus it's right after the holidays when most folks are light in the pocket.

Go on back home and close the door on your way out. We've got this handled. Worry about your own house.

Totally unnecessary, and an over-reaction. You are being blindsided by a small % of trolls, pretend fans. The vast majority on here are true fans, and that does include being a realist. I found most of your post offensive. I find it odd that so called 'true fans' need to attack fellow fans for not seeing unicorns and rainbows. Get over yourself.

Absolutely, it is directed at the trolls and pretend fans, absolutely. If you are NOT one quite obviously not directed at you. The ones who are supposed to get it will get it.

Get over yourself.

No apologies whatsoever.

We both realize once 18 left there were alot of angry fans some have moved on most embrace 12 with 2 , 11-5 seasons under his belt I would not think there will  not be blackout issues in his future just my opinion of course .

The Texans have sold out every game  congrats that & a buck will get you a cup of coffee  ..   But not in the playoffs where you need to be this time of year to be a real football city . :colts:

Home of the AFC South Division Champ once again & in the Playoffs

Dont confuse him with facts. He's probably is a digruntled Oilers fan. :D

We both realize once 18 left there were alot of angry fans some have moved on most embrace 12 with 2 , 11-5 seasons under his belt I would not think there will  not be blackout issues in his future just my opinion of course .

The Texans have sold out every game  congrats that & a buck will get you a cup of coffee  ..   But not in the playoffs where you need to be this time of year to be a real football city . :colts:

Home of the AFC South Division Champ once again & in the Playoffs

Disagree completely. Just because your team doesn't make the playoffs doesn't mean your city isn't a football city. And vice versa.

Don't be bitter the Texans had a 1 year window to get it done and couldn`t. Told you and Quizboy to enjoy while it lasts because it wouldn't be long. "The Monster" is alive and well..Playoff football! Taking a crack at the city as a non football town really is all you have, the Texans sure arent 

If you win the Lombardi you may actually be able to sell out your home games.

Vance, I respect you as a poster. I do not know if you are a Texas native or not. As many know, I am originally from Indiana. I moved here (Texas) with my family at the age of 9 in 2002. The economy had bottomed out up there. My dad had had a great job in Anderson and on short notice the plant shut down. I imagine that the failing economy may have played a hand in these smaller football markets (GB, Cincy, Indy) selling their tickets. Things are much better economy wise in Texas. I know this from experience. It doesn't say anything about fans. It says more about the NFL being greedy. I bleed blue and white, much like you bleed red and blue. However, if it comes down to feeding our families, or going to an overpriced game that should be on TV, which would you choose?

Well in the history of the Texans they haven't won a game in Indy, so we must be doing something right.

Vance, I respect you as a poster. I do not know if you are a Texas native or not. As many know, I am originally from Indiana. I moved here (Texas) with my family at the age of 9 in 2002. The economy had bottomed out up there. My dad had had a great job in Anderson and on short notice the plant shut down. I imagine that the failing economy may have played a hand in these smaller football markets (GB, Cincy, Indy) selling their tickets. Things are much better economy wise in Texas. I know this from experience. It doesn't say anything about fans. It says more about the NFL being greedy. I bleed blue and white, much like you bleed red and blue. However, if it comes down to feeding our families, or going to an overpriced game that should be on TV, which would you choose?

He is just baiting and trolling. Its hard for those in Indy two attend games of two teams at the top of their respective sports.