Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do we need a WR this off-season?

I know we have to plan for Reggie Wayne's retirement but if I look at the roster for next year, we have 5 guys who look like guys we could roll with.

Wayne

Rodgers

Hilton

Whalen

Brazil

Do we have the confidence in this group so as to avoid signing or drafting any WR's??

I don't think we could realistically send Whalen or Rodgers back to the PS next year and not have them signed out from under us by another team.  

Since Wayne could be retiring after 2014, should we draft one and carry 6 on the team?  Especially if we don't know how Wayne is gonna come out of ACL injury.

I think the most difficult thing about all of it is picking which players to play on any given play.  

Especially IMO picking between Rodgers, Hilton and Whalen.  

We wont need a WR for 5+ years or until we can't  sign both Rogers or TY before their contract is up. Rogers, T.Y, and Whalen will be the starters next year with Wayne playing the Hines Ward role. As great as Ward was for the Steerlers Wallace, Brown, and Sanders were just too good to bench. Same with Rogers, T.Y, and Whalen who i think have more potential then those Steerlers WR's. Wayne will split time with Whalen in the slot.

The emergence of Rogers and Whalen as viable options

No

I would agree with you on that.  We could hold off on a WR.  

I'd be fine with getting a WR like Maclin, Nicks or Sanders. They shouldn't be as expensive as like Eric Decker. We don't NEED a WR though. We need O-line/O-line depth, pass rush, and secondary help. 

Sort of goes with a pass rush but we could use some help on the D-line or linebackers to help shut down the run.  

with all the cap space this team will have and all the weapons on offense...wayne..hilton..rogers..allen..fleener...trich..ballard..and brown...and whalen..and brazil as back up wrs...and Doyle and saunders as back up TEs....i think it would be a dumb move to get any more offensive weapons..they should use all that money for the o line..and some defensive players...i think we are set on offense....

with all the cap space this team will have and all the weapons on offense...wayne..hilton..rogers..allen..fleener...trich..ballard..and brown...and whalen..and brazil as back up wrs...and Doyle and saunders as back up TEs....i think it would be a dumb move to get any more offensive weapons..they should use all that money for the o line..and some defensive players...i think we are set on offense....

Granted we have talent on the WR front but at times it is up & down,,,,,,,,,We need a fast deep threat,,,,,,who also can be a possession receiver ,I tall guy who can be dangerous in the red zone and strong enough to over power the Dbacks,,,,,,,and jump up & grab the ball away,,,,,,,,,We need to get OLine help and Dline help and definitely a shut down corner,,,,,,,,Our secondary is up and down,,,,,,,,,,we need stability there,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Allen Robinson would look amongst our WR ranks. If not him Cody Hoffman.

Don't get me wrong, I like Rogers,Whalen,Hilton,Brazil etc, but its better to be safe than sorry in case they are flashes in the pan( I don't see them being that but who knows?)

True as I said in other post ,,,,,,,,,,,,We still need that big deep threat who can be a possession receiver ,and also can be tall enough quick enough and strong enough to get us a touchdown in the Red Zone,,,,,,,,,,A receiver who can over power the smaller D-backs and grab the ball away.And has great speed Speed kills as we've all seen against the Rams AKA Tavon Austin how he kicked our  butts

I could see drafting one, just depends who is available when the Colts pick.

Yes if there is a very good viable receiver there at our pick in the draft I do not see us passing on him,,,,,,,,,,Remember years ago Dllas Clark being drafted I was like what the hell are we going afer him for when we had needs at other positions But Polin was thinking a couple years in the future down the road,And he was Very, Correct,,,,,,,,,,That was the right pick and brought the Colts many fruits

I would agree with you on that.  We could hold off on a WR.  

Sort of goes with a pass rush but we could use some help on the D-line or linebackers to help shut down the run.  

Yes we need O-Line and O-line Depth above the WR position We all hope that guy Brown the OLine -man we got from the Patriots who got injured early in the season is back w/us that was a huge loss to our O-Line,,,,,,,,,,,It all deepens on who we pick up via Free Agency,,,,,and who is available at our draft spot,,,,,,,,,,AND REMEBER,,,,,,,no matter how good the guys on the Oline our it takes time for them to gel as a unit it can take 6 weeks or more,,,,,,,,,,,,,,So we have to get out Oling set early and hope & pray for no injuries like this season,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,And just think if we had't lost Dwayne Allen,,,,,,,,,,,But getting Allen back at TE and Wayne Brown Bradshaw  Ballard,,,,will be like getting 5 1st round draft picks,Really!!!! Icing n the cake

Wouldn't make sense to draft a WR,  he's not gonna start over Rogers and T.Y and Whalen and Wayne are the slot WR's.

The emergence of Rogers and Whalen along with sparks of development in Brazill give us greater BPA flexibility in the draft and raise the bar for receivers that you might draft (on the theory that you don't draft a player who doesn't have a realistic shot to beat out those under contract), but it certainly doesn't take receiver off the board altogether, nor has any of the concrete set yet on the future core of Luck's weaponry at WR.  If there is a future #1 on the board, even as early as Rd. 2 or Rd. 3, then I certainly hope Grigs will squeeze the trigger.  

Let's not forget the reality of becoming an established NFL player.  Many have the talent, but few can stand prosperity.  As of now, we have established nothing about Rogers except that he has the talent (and always did).  This locker room has a chance to build winning character in him sustainable for the long term, but you can't count on that and certainly can't let good prospects go by the window....

Guest TeamLoloJones

I do not see us drafting a WR this next off season

I say we still draft a WR if someone in the top tier falls, but we definitely should not reach for one.

I don't see us drafting a WR but I do see us signing a FA WR in the off-season.

I'm not sure management is as sold on Whalen and Brazil as long term answers against top flight competition.   I think both are still question marks.    I don't see the group the OP listed as putting much fear in the mind of any DC we go against.

And with Reggie on the last year of his contract, and coming off a serious injury,  I think signing a solid mid-level type is a wise investment.  Someone who will be with the team for more than 1-year.

Another off-season issue to keep a very close eye on.....

We definitly need another WR, Wayne is coming off an injury, Whalen has emerged somewhat but not enough to say we can rely on him long term........Hilton only shows up when you pop your mouth off to him....sad but true.....Brazill has shown very little....Fleener forgot to board his flight out of Arizona

We definitly need another WR, Wayne is coming off an injury, Whalen has emerged somewhat but not enough to say we can rely on him long term........Hilton only shows up when you pop your mouth off to him....sad but true.....Brazill has shown very little....Fleener forgot to board his flight out of Arizona

Ehh Maybe Hilton only has occasional big games, but he's not very far from getting 1000 yards on the season.  I think he only needs to go for like 72 yards against Jacksonville to have a 1000 yard season.  

Part of that has to do with losing Reggie, but he's still had a fairly solid season.  

I am worried a little bit though about next year.  

Reggie's coming off ACL surgery especially at his age you can't just assume that he'll be back in pro-bowl form.

Rodgers has to stay out of trouble in the off season

Whalen and Rodgers only recently started producing.  I'm not sure how safe it is to assume that they will continue to produce like that.

Ehh Maybe Hilton only has occasional big games, but he's not very far from getting 1000 yards on the season.  I think he only needs to go for like 72 yards against Jacksonville to have a 1000 yard season.  

Part of that has to do with losing Reggie, but he's still had a fairly solid season.  

I am worried a little bit though about next year.  

Reggie's coming off ACL surgery especially at his age you can't just assume that he'll be back in pro-bowl form.

Rodgers has to stay out of trouble in the off season

Whalen and Rodgers only recently started producing.  I'm not sure how safe it is to assume that they will continue to produce like that.

I mean there is alot that goes into it to, receivers dont get open consistently. part of that is route concepts, part of it is just poor route running, Also while Luck makes some great throws he also makes some of the easier throws look difficult do to sometimes having bad ball placement....causing his receivers to sometimes have to dive back for balls, causing his receivers at times to do pirouttes which slows them down to the point by the time they catch the ball and turn back to run upfield the defender or defenders are all over the receiver, But we need another WR that can separate consistently and go up and get the ball, we cant just rely on one of our current undersized WR's to become great route runners so they can get separation

I mean there is alot that goes into it to, receivers dont get open consistently. part of that is route concepts, part of it is just poor route running, Also while Luck makes some great throws he also makes some of the easier throws look difficult do to sometimes having bad ball placement....causing his receivers to sometimes have to dive back for balls, causing his receivers at times to do pirouttes which slows them down to the point by the time they catch the ball and turn back to run upfield the defender or defenders are all over the receiver, But we need another WR that can separate consistently and go up and get the ball, we cant just rely on one of our current undersized WR's to become great route runners so they can get separation

I think with the addition of Rodgers we're not too terribly undersized at receiver.  We could maybe use a bigger receiver in place of Brazil but that's nit picking a bit I think.  

I say yes because this WR class is very good and we should take advantage of it. Plus Reggie wont be around much longer, plus we cant fully depend on Rogers, Whalen, or Brazill just yet. Getting a guy like Allen Robinson or Jarvis Landry in the 2nd would ensure that we have quality weapons for Luck going into the future.

I say yes because this WR class is very good and we should take advantage of it. Plus Reggie wont be around much longer, plus we cant fully depend on Rogers, Whalen, or Brazill just yet. Getting a guy like Allen Robinson or Jarvis Landry in the 2nd would ensure that we have quality weapons for Luck going into the future.

Here is a question though, would there be better options available to us in the 1st round next year then in the 2nd this year?

It depends on whether Rogers could be Reggie's eventual replacement.  It would be good to have a young receiver who could potentially be Reggie's replacement on the team and growing into the role before Reggie retires.  Rogers might be that guy, but it's a tough call.  If this type of receiver drops to where we're picking in the 2nd round (like Keenan Allen did this year), I'd be tempted to take them.

I am hoping Mr Grigson gives our young Receivers a chance. We may have a #1 WR on our roster now in Rogers or Whalen

Whalen does not have the ability to be a #1, maybe Rogers does, but that's still not a given.

It can't hurt to add more weapons for Luck to continue his development.  I'd target Penn State's Robinson in the draft, and sign a vet.

As we have seen, our receivers have potential, but as of right now our corps is below average.

Whalen does not have the ability to be a #1, maybe Rogers does, but that's still not a given.

It can't hurt to add more weapons for Luck to continue his development.  I'd target Penn State's Robinson in the draft, and sign a vet.

As we have seen, our receivers have potential, but as of right now our corps is below average.

The only thing that Whalen does not have is speed.  More consist catching the ball than Hilton, Brazill, and Bey. More explosive out of his breaks than them as well (gets separation even when doubled teamed).

IMO, will make a good #1 WR (see Welker and Amendola as examples).

I still want to see what Rogers does, as he has the same abilities as Whalen, but is faster.

Griff is more like Reggie and Reggie is our #1 WR

We definitely need a wide receiver this off season.  We need someone reliable.  We rank really high in drop passes and no one is really sure about our WR group.  At this point, no one is consistent right now.  We don't have a WR that Avgs 70 or 80 yards a game.  Our 3rd down conversion is really low.  I'm not say we should go out and get a superstar, but a good and reliable receiver. Reggie is getting up there in age and no one knows how well he's gonna be next season.  We really struggle on 3rd w/o reggie, lets not make the same mistake.

Some names:

Riley Cooper: Big, fast and good hands. Looks like a TE, but a Receiver

Eric Decker:  Dunno if he'll be expensive or not.  Manning does make his receivers better.

Jeremy Maclin: Just got of an ACL injury

James Jones:  Unknown, depends if he says with packers

Hakeem Nicks: Suspect

Julian Edelman: Rising star. Yes he's playing with Tom Brady, but he's proving he can get separation, has good hands, good route running, and good run after catch.  Maybe cheap? or they keep him.

We definitely need a wide receiver this off season.  We need someone reliable.  We rank really high in drop passes and no one is really sure about our WR group.  At this point, no one is consistent right now.  We don't have a WR that Avgs 70 or 80 yards a game.  Our 3rd down conversion is really low.  I'm not say we should go out and get a superstar, but a good and reliable receiver. Reggie is getting up there in age and no one knows how well he's gonna be next season.  We really struggle on 3rd w/o reggie, lets not make the same mistake.

Some names:

Riley Cooper: Big, fast and good hands. Looks like a TE, but a Receiver

Eric Decker:  Dunno if he'll be expensive or not.  Manning does make his receivers better.

Jeremy Maclin: Just got of an ACL injury

James Jones:  Unknown, depends if he says with packers

Hakeem Nicks: Suspect

Julian Edelman: Rising star. Yes he's playing with Tom Brady, but he's proving he can get separation, has good hands, good route running, and good run after catch.  Maybe cheap? or they keep him.

If Edelman hits the open market we should consider him.  He's not a big name guy but reliable.  I doubt the market on him would be too expensive.

Decker will likely be expensive, but I really REALLY don't see him leaving Denver.  Manning's system can be so complex that it takes 2 full training camps to fully learn it.  I guarantee Manning doesn't want to bring in someone new next year and believe it or not Denver has more then enough cap space to get the deal done. 

And honestly even if Manning's system was easier to learn, there are no free agent wide receivers out there better then Decker.  They need to use their draft picks to make that defense better.  

Doing nothing they have $10 million in free cap space, enough to sign Decker and their draft picks.

If they wanted to cut Champ Bailey which would be wise considering he has no guaranteed money on his contract and he doesn't seem to have anything left in the tank, they would then have another $10 million in cap space.

So cut Champ and that's $20 million in free cap space.  They could also clear some space by cutting one of their backup TE's like Tamme.  

They could re-sign Decker, draft heavy on defense, and sign a top Free agent defender, most likely a CB.