Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do we need a WR this off-season?

The only thing that Whalen does not have is speed.  More consist catching the ball than Hilton, Brazill, and Bey. More explosive out of his breaks than them as well (gets separation even when doubled teamed).

IMO, will make a good #1 WR (see Welker and Amendola as examples).

I still want to see what Rogers does, as he has the same abilities as Whalen, but is faster.

Griff is more like Reggie and Reggie is our #1 WR

I get what you are saying here in your analysis and comparisons, but there is a great distinction between what is classically defined as a #1 WR and the comparisons you are making.  Welker may have caught a lot of balls - most on his team - and been the #1 option on a lot of routes, but that doesn't make him a #1 WR in most systems (or even in NE's system).  A #1 receiver is the dimension on your team that places stress on the defense at every level of coverage.  Even Reggie doesn't quite meet this standard in the way he has been used post Manning, but both he and Marvin amply met this definition in their primes and in that scheme.

Griff probably won't ever offer all of those dimensions, just as Welker doesn't.  TY has met this standard in earlier games but doesn't appear to have the same change of direction suddeness that Marvin did (who does?) to go with his top end speed to make a #1 at his size.  Rogers is probably our only true #1 talent physically - we'll see how he develops.  I wouldn't mind having another one....

Guest TeamLoloJones

I am hoping Mr Grigson gives our young Receivers a chance. We may have a #1 WR on our roster now in Rogers or Whalen

I'm with ya...especially with so many other needs to address.

I'm with ya...especially with so many other needs to address.

I'm a Stanford fan.   So, I'm also a Griff Whalen fan.

But what would give anyone the idea that Whalen could be a #1 receiver?!?    I mean....   seriously?!?

This is a guy who has been on the practice squad for some of this year...   who got waived off the active roster once and fortunately not picked up by another team...  and we then reclaimed him for the PS.

In a perfect world now,  he'd be a #5, behind Wayne, Hiltons, DHB (if he had worked out) and Brazil.   

Whalen is not a guy who will threaten a top quality team as the #1 receiver.   Those teams will find a way to take Griff completely out of the game.     The same way teams have taken Hilton out of the game for a few weeks when he was offered up as the #1.

A #1 receiver is someone who should strike fear into an opponent.   Someone they have to plan and account for.   Someone who might even command a double-team.    Griff Whalen doesn't do any of that.    And I say that as a Griff Whalen fan...........

Whalen is not a #1.   Neither is Hilton....   he might someday be a #2,  but he's not there yet.

Luck can make a lot of people look good....    better than they really are....    but he's not a miracle worker.

Just sayin.....

I get what you are saying here in your analysis and comparisons, but there is a great distinction between what is classically defined as a #1 WR and the comparisons you are making.  Welker may have caught a lot of balls - most on his team - and been the #1 option on a lot of routes, but that doesn't make him a #1 WR in most systems (or even in NE's system).  A #1 receiver is the dimension on your team that places stress on the defense at every level of coverage.  Even Reggie doesn't quite meet this standard in the way he has been used post Manning, but both he and Marvin amply met this definition in their primes and in that scheme.

Griff probably won't ever offer all of those dimensions, just as Welker doesn't.  TY has met this standard in earlier games but doesn't appear to have the same change of direction suddeness that Marvin did (who does?) to go with his top end speed to make a #1 at his size.  Rogers is probably our only true #1 talent physically - we'll see how he develops.  I wouldn't mind having another one....

I guess, it is because I'm old school.  I want the #1 WR be the person that is clutch and who the QB goes to in the clutch. IMO, your #1 WR can get separation even when doubled covered.

The younger fans want speed, but unless the WR has explosiveness out of the breaks, they are not going to get open (see Randy Moss, T.O. and Chad Johnson). 

But what would give anyone the idea that Whalen could be a #1 receiver?!?    I mean....   seriously?!?

This is a guy who has been on the practice squad for some of this year...   who got waived off the active roster once and fortunately not picked up by another team...  and we then reclaimed him for the PS.

In a perfect world now,  he'd be a #5, behind Wayne, Hiltons, DHB (if he had worked out) and Brazil.   

Whalen is not a guy who will threaten a top quality team as the #1 receiver.   Those teams will find a way to take Griff completely out of the game.     The same way teams have taken Hilton out of the game for a few weeks when he was offered up as the #1.

A #1 receiver is someone who should strike fear into an opponent.   Someone they have to plan and account for.   Someone who might even command a double-team.    Griff Whalen doesn't do any of that.    And I say that as a Griff Whalen fan...........

Whalen is not a #1.   Neither is Hilton....   he might someday be a #2,  but he's not there yet.

Luck can make a lot of people look good....    better than they really are....    but he's not a miracle worker.

Just sayin.....

Its rogers that's contributing so much to luck's new found success. He's opening up everybody else within the offense, because teams are double and triple teaming da'rick.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Just sayin.....

I was agreeing with the notion of continuing the development of our young WRs.  I wasn't agreeing with the Whalen #1 part.

Reggie Wayne and Griff Whalen were not and are not anything alike. Even coming out of college, while Reggie always had the reputation of not being a burner, he had plenty of speed and athleticism. Certainly more than Griff Whalen did coming out. Reggie is bigger and has better hands. He also had more production in college. That's why Reggie was a first rounder, and Whalen didn't get drafted.

Reggie has made his reputation being a technician, and that's something that Griff has going for him. He can continue to improve his agility and route running, he can work on his hands, he can learn the tricks of the trade and become a very good NFL receiver. But there's a world of difference between him and Reggie Wayne, both physically and otherwise.

And even with Reggie's talents, he's only spent half his career being recognized as a #1 receiver, and that was out of necessity once Marvin got hurt. Reggie is the prototypical possession receiver, and probably one of the best of all time. He has great numbers, partly due to having really good quarterbacking all of his career. He's had great longevity, up until this season (hope with all my being that he can get back and produce for us). He can get open, he knows how to set up defenders to create angles, he catches everything... But he's not what you typically have in mind when you talk about a #1 receiver. That's usually someone who stresses every aspect of the other team's pass defense, who commands and can beat double teams, who is a big time threat in the red zone. Preferably, he's a size mismatch for most DBs. It's a testament to Reggie's hard work and technical ability that he's been able to put up #1 like numbers without being a prototypical #1. It's not a model you want to follow as a team, though.

Griff might develop into a good possession receiver. He's not a #1, though. 

I've always had the understanding that your #1 needs to be fairly big but also athletic.  Da'Rick meets that standard.  

Whalen may develop into a slot possession receiver.  Not a guy that necessarily needs to go deep, but smart enough to run the right routes, to run those routes very well, and to make the catch to get you the first down.

TY I see as a deep burner.  He can do other things but his specialty is stretching the field and making the safety choose between covering TY and covering receivers closer to the LOS.  Typically the safety covers the deep man so they don't get beat over the top.  That leaves receivers closer to the LOS in 1 on 1 coverage.  

TY is going to be limited by his size.  He's just not a guy you could rely upon to win a jump ball.  

Whalen is going to be limited mostly by his speed.  But he can make himself pretty useful by just running great routes and catching the ball when it comes his way.

The problem is we're not in a position to get a #1 receiver this draft.  We don't have a first round pick and our second rounder is going to be at the very bottom.  Unless we find a gem of a pick in rounds 2-4 we're out of luck.  I would much rather us focus on defense this draft.  There are a few areas of real need here...especially in run support and pass rush.  I would love it if we spent a 3rd round on an OLB or DT and followed that up with ILB, S, or CB.  If we do anything on offense I think a late round RB should be found. 

The problem is we're not in a position to get a #1 receiver this draft.  We don't have a first round pick and our second rounder is going to be at the very bottom.  Unless we find a gem of a pick in rounds 2-4 we're out of luck.  I would much rather us focus on defense this draft.  There are a few areas of real need here...especially in run support and pass rush.  I would love it if we spent a 3rd round on an OLB or DT and followed that up with ILB, S, or CB.  If we do anything on offense I think a late round RB should be found. 

This is actually a pretty deep draft for WRs. You can get a pretty good guy at our pick. 

This is actually a pretty deep draft for WRs. You can get a pretty good guy at our pick. 

I've been looking, and I think we can get a pretty good guy at any of our picks. We'll see how things shake up after workouts, but there are a ton of promising receivers in this draft.

Who would you recommend we take and what pick? Keeping in mind we really do need to continue improving our defense.

At receiver I wouod take Donte Moncrief. He reminds me of Anquan Boldin and will have a disappointing 40 time so he should be available at our pi k.

As far as as defense I would look at an ILB like Yawin Smallwood.

It does indeed seem to be a pretty good draft for WR's....

But so was last years....   and I suspect the year before that too...

And it has me wondering....    with so many college teams now throwing the ball more than ever before,  I wonder if it isn't likely that we're going to have good draft's of WR's for years to come.    I don't see a reason why there shouldn't be drafts filled with quality WR's.     Now, some years will be better than others,   it's just hard for me to see anything that looks like a below average year, or bad year for WR's.....    not anymore...

A quality WR can be found in all sorts of rounds,  not just R1....

Just thinking out loud here.....    wondering what others think of this........?

It does indeed seem to be a pretty good draft for WR's....

But so was last years....   and I suspect the year before that too...

And it has me wondering....    with so many college teams now throwing the ball more than ever before,  I wonder if it isn't likely that we're going to have good draft's of WR's for years to come.    I don't see a reason why there shouldn't be drafts filled with quality WR's.     Now, some years will be better than others,   it's just hard for me to see anything that looks like a below average year, or bad year for WR's.....    not anymore...

A quality WR can be found in all sorts of rounds,  not just R1....

Just thinking out loud here.....    wondering what others think of this........?

I agree..there does seem to be a change in college offenses that are geared much more towards fast, spread-out passing offenses. This may lead to more receivers being available every year in the draft, but it also makes you think if the receivers are productive because of the style of offense. Most receivers would be able to catch a pass if wide open or in one-on-one coverage. How would they play when everyone on the field is incredibly fast and strong, and every defender can pressure them on every play?

Also, as a side note: I am thinking that it will become increasingly more difficult to find quality O-linemen. It used to be that the left tackle position was a "premium" position and was paid like it. But now with the diminished difference in pay between the O-line and D-line/OLB/DE I would argue that most large and strong athletes would prefer to play the D-line position. It receives much more notoriety and pays well.

I know we have to plan for Reggie Wayne's retirement but if I look at the roster for next year, we have 5 guys who look like guys we could roll with.

Wayne

Rodgers

Hilton

Whalen

Brazil

Do we have the confidence in this group so as to avoid signing or drafting any WR's??

I don't think we could realistically send Whalen or Rodgers back to the PS next year and not have them signed out from under us by another team.  

Since Wayne could be retiring after 2014, should we draft one and carry 6 on the team?  Especially if we don't know how Wayne is gonna come out of ACL injury.

I think the most difficult thing about all of it is picking which players to play on any given play.  

Especially IMO picking between Rodgers, Hilton and Whalen.  

The fact that Brazzill and Whalen can return punts and kicks makes it easy to justify having a 6th WR if we need.  I don't think we should reach for one in the draft or spend too much for one, but if a steal falls into our laps, why not?

I think Rogers is going to be a stud -- and Whalen and Brazzill and both very serviceable, but it couldn't hurt to add another WR or 2 to see if we can't increase competition and possibly oust one of those guys.

My opinion is we don't need a receiver in the offseason. I think Da'Rick can be a top 10 receiver in the league. We know what TY can do, and he's going to get even better. Reggie is coming back and I believe he can give us one more solid year. Then you have Whalen and Brazil. We should wait until after next season and find Reggie's replacement unless there is a Kennan Allen type sitting there at the end of the second. We need to focus on the O Line and shore up the Defense with the cap space we have.

• 1 month later...

I really don't see us re-signing Bradshaw.  Good RB, but too many injury concerns.  Not worth it if he only makes it through 3 or 4 games in a season.

Bradshaw injury was a neck injury could of happened to anyone,,He is tough and not a puzzy,,,,,,,,,,,,,so I'd love him back he is a veteran w/ SB exp.........strong n fast ,and big,,,,,,,,,,,,I think he'll be back at a good contract price if fact they are talking w/ him on a contract now I believe so am not the ony 1 wanting him bak Colts personal d.oes as well

Bradshaw injury was a neck injury could of happened to anyone,,He is tough and not a puzzy,,,,,,,,,,,,,so I'd love him back he is a veteran w/ SB exp.........strong n fast ,and big,,,,,,,,,,,,I think he'll be back at a good contract price if fact they are talking w/ him on a contract now I believe so am not the ony 1 wanting him bak Colts personal d.oes as well

I didn't mean to question his toughness.  I know he plays hurt.  The problem is that he seems to collect a lot of injuries that you just can't play through.  

Outside of that I like him when he's on the field.  Best pass blocking RB in the league (which is hugely important), good runner between the tackles, great vision, solid hands for catching the football.  He has zero weaknesses to his game, when he's on the field.  

I really think we should draft a WR somewhere in the draft. With which pick depends on what needs we can fill in FA and who falls to us. If we had the opportunity to nab Allen Robinson I'd do it in a heartbeat. There are some other good receivers who should be on the board for us.

I don't think we need to sign a WR in free agency.

The only thing that Whalen does not have is speed.  More consist catching the ball than Hilton, Brazill, and Bey. More explosive out of his breaks than them as well (gets separation even when doubled teamed).

IMO, will make a good #1 WR (see Welker and Amendola as examples).

I still want to see what Rogers does, as he has the same abilities as Whalen, but is faster.

Griff is more like Reggie and Reggie is our #1 WR

Griff is not MORE explosve coming out of his breaks than Ty and Brazil...he wouldnt hve gone undrafted tob egin with...let alone be cut and no team claims him.

I guess my point is i dont see him, by eye test, do we have combine numbers or something besides eye testS? 

Griff is not MORE explosve coming out of his breaks than Ty and Brazil...he wouldnt hve gone undrafted tob egin with...let alone be cut and no team claims him.

I guess my point is i dont see him, by eye test, do we have combine numbers or something besides eye testS? 

Griff's number were average at combine.  As Mike Mayock says, "He has game speed".  Griff is faster out of his cuts than TY or Brazill.  Both of them round their cuts instead of planting and driving out of cut.  That is the reason that TY and Brazill has trouble with double coverage.  If they can not out run the coverage, they are not open.

I didn't mean to question his toughness.  I know he plays hurt.  The problem is that he seems to collect a lot of injuries that you just can't play through.  

Outside of that I like him when he's on the field.  Best pass blocking RB in the league (which is hugely important), good runner between the tackles, great vision, solid hands for catching the football.  He has zero weaknesses to his game, when he's on the field.  

( no offense taken to your comments)--Yes he is tough and I mean u can say that about any player great when they are on the field and knock the guy(s) when they are hurt,,,,,I mean a neck injury is NOTHING to play around with its life threatening most times,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,It was killing Bradshaw not being on the field last year u could see it when he was on the sideline watching the games............He is tough and a true player,,,,,,,,,,Some players just happen to have that affinity to not by any fault of their own at getting hurt a lot,,,,,,,,,,,,,Like there was a forrest ranger who had been hit by lightening 11times,,,,,,,,,,,,,He'll do fine this year if we are smart enough to sign him,Also we better sign Brown he is an exceptional player!!!!