Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Our Future Center

Dark Superman

Do you all think Satele will be cut following the season?

Does Holmes get the shot or do we bring in a new body?

Colts.com has Holmes listed as 20 pounds heavier than Satele..

But Donald Thomas only at 308? The guy looked huge from what I remember.

Weight is not the be all and end all... you get more push from lower body explosive strength than you do from pure weight.

I don't think anyone can claim a fourth rounder that hasn;t played can be our future at Center, but it is clear Satale isn't either.

I expect Satele to be cut in the off-season, and a vet brought in to at least compete with Holmes for the job.

Weight is not the be all and end all... you get more push from lower body explosive strength than you do from pure weight.

I don't think anyone can claim a fourth rounder that hasn;t played can be our future at Center, but it is clear Satale isn't either.

I expect Satele to be cut in the off-season, and a vet brought in to at least compete with Holmes for the job.

We need a better center. Im all for what you suggest. Cut satele and bring in a veteran to compete for the job

3 games division locked up give him a a chance

Could be an option if he is healthy an knows the playbook and calls correctly. However there is also risk involves in that if it doesn't work, we are tampering with the chemistry of the line heading into the playoffs.

I'm guessing Satele stays on the roster at least til camp.  But I sure hope he's cut before next season.  He's making way too much money for sucking.

No. We keep him that long we have 5 mil of dead money. we cut him after the season and we save 4 mil

Could be an option if he is healthy an knows the playbook and calls correctly. However there is also risk involves in that if it doesn't work, we are tampering with the chemistry of the line heading into the playoffs.

And what chemistry is that? Getting luck killed

Satele definitely will be cut before next season doesn't have the strength to play C. If the Browns franchise Mack Holmes will be the starter next year. I think we should start Holmes now the last 3 games while we already have a playoff spot. Give him some reps he can't be worse then Satele. 

In the end it all comes down to the coaches, Pagano stubbornness not to play any of the rookies over the under achieving veterans is mind boggling. Rogers starting for DHB worked out well, Holmes over Satele could possibly have the same result but he won't even give him a chance.

I'd like to see us draft a versatile interior lineman who could compete for the center job next TC with Holmes, Satele, and McGlynn.  It's too early to give up on Thornton and Holmes, as they were 3rd and 4th rounders, respectively.  Thornton should be good at RG after actually having a TC at his best position.  Thomas will be back, though I wasn't overly impressed with him before he got hurt.  I'd toss in someone like Bryan Stork from Florida State.  He's possibly the top Sr. center in the country, but he's also played guard and tackle.  Mix 'em up and see what configuration is best...

Satele definitely will be cut before next season doesn't have the strength to play C. If the Browns franchise Mack Holmes will be the starter next year. I think we should start Holmes now the last 3 games while we already have a playoff spot. Give him some reps he can't be worse then Satele.

In the end it all comes down to the coaches, Pagano stubbornness not to play any of the rookies over the under achieving veterans is mind boggling. Rogers starting for DHB worked out well, Holmes over Satele could possibly have the same result but he won't even give him a chance.

Ryan Grigson doesn't approve of starting rookie linemen either. Thornton only got in cause of the injuries

I don't see any way satele not geting cut, given his performance and his contract..

I also don't think holmes is our future starting center, since not only he wasn't able to surpass samson on the depth chart but he wasn't even active for the games untill recently..

So it's probablly someone in the fa and/or draft..

Yeah even if we don't get Mack, one would have to think they would sign someone different.  If we hold on to Satele at 5 million for next year there will be a riot.

Guest TeamLoloJones

wow one game.

Thornton is the most physically talented lineman on the team.  Where he's lacking is in the mental aspect of the game.  If he gets time to develop he will be a very solid guard, but he's being overwhelmed right now.

sorry, but your argument is lacking when your supporting claim is one game compared to 12 miserable ones

Well your argument is non-existant when you don't have one.

The pressure is not soley the result of poor line play... it is also largely down to scheme, receivers are taking too long to get open and Luck does not have short options to get rid of the ball.

The fact is this line is not good, but it is all we have, and chemistry is still important even with a poor line.

We get the ball out quicker and give Luck more options and suddenly our line performs.

Go figure.

Grigson actually didn't say that. This is about the 100th time his remark has been taken out of context.

I'm just going by what I read here

@TribStarTJames: @Colts_Comments remember what Grigson said at the combine about not being big on starting rookie offensive linemen?

@OllyDawes: Extended quotes from Ryan Grigson on rookie offensive linemen vs rookie cornerbacks.

Edit: Link didn't work

Thornton is the most physically talented lineman on the team.  Where he's lacking is in the mental aspect of the game.  If he gets time to develop he will be a very solid guard, but he's being overwhelmed right now.

Agreed so hopefully people stop saying that Thornton sucks. Thorntons problem is that he is a rookie and is inexperienced.

Well your argument is non-existant when you don't have one.

The pressure is not soley the result of poor line play... it is also largely down to scheme, receivers are taking too long to get open and Luck does not have short options to get rid of the ball.

The fact is this line is not good, but it is all we have, and chemistry is still important even with a poor line.

We get the ball out quicker and give Luck more options and suddenly our line performs.

Go figure.

There are built in checkdowns quite a bit or receivers out in flats

Players weights on ESPN or NFL are not accurate, because they don't measure the players; teams do. Weights are all pre-season weights from the summer, so it's common to see lots of fluctuation.

Lastly, some players clearly list their weight as lower than it really is. Since when has Vince Wilfork looked 325? He clearly looks like the biggest guy on the field, by far, each game.