Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Roughing the passer penalty on 49ers vs Brees...

Paulballs

Im all about protecting the qb to a point, but did anyone else see this? The guy on the 49ers (forget the name) hit Brees HARD, but his arm went right across Brees' shoulder pads which caused Brees' head to jerk forward rather violently. Troy Aikman was saying it was the right call, which I think is bull crap. What did you think?

Im all about protecting the qb to a point, but did anyone else see this? The guy on the 49ers (forget the name) hit Brees HARD, but his arm went right across Brees' shoulder pads which caused Brees' head to jerk forward rather violently. Troy Aikman was saying it was the right call, which I think is bull crap. What did you think?

I was watching when it happened, it was a bad call.  Also, Troy has had too many hits to the head if he thought that call was correct.  I have said for a long time now, most color commentators just say something to be saying something no matter how nonsensical it is.

I missed this part of the game, but we all know how protective the league is when it comes to touching the QB's head. Even if it was at the slightest it was the right call.

The problem is the LB did not touch his head.  He hit Brees across the chest.

Yikes. If that's the case then they possibly just impacted the playoff seeding in a big way.

Probably not, the loss to Carolina meant that San Fran was behind the 8 ball on taking the division from Seattle. It will only become an issue if San Fran beats Seattle when they play again.

I said they might as well hang flags from the qb's belt and thats the only way you can get a sack. Its getting pathetic. 

And yes, Avenged Sevenfold rules.

Lots of quarterbacks getting hurt...it's not that soft. It was just a bad call....like many other calls the refs screw up every week.

You guys have no room to talk considering how many roughing the passer flags constantly get called on Andrew Luck.

When is the last one he's gotten?

Because I can think of at least two instances where Luck got bopped on the head, and no flag was thrown.

Even if Luck got an abnormal amount of RTP calls, which I'm not really sure he does, that doesn't change that the refs blew the call in the game today.

No sarcasm here. A serious question.

Why was Brees bleeding from the mouth if he was tackled around the chest or shoulders?

I think because his face went forward into his face mask on the hit and/or when he hit the ground his helmet rode up and caused it. It was not from the defender hitting him in either the head or face. 

Whatever

When Luck, Manning or Brady get roughing the passer calls, it's not a problem. No one ever brings it up, but lately I have seen many of a time Luck gets hit and you see the flags come and grant the penalty.

Brees gets one, it's a problem and it's totally wrong. Like most the time, it's always brought up how the Saints get calls that go their way in every win, but some how the Colts never get any calls, or the Pats don't, or especially the Denver Manning's who didn't receive one offensive penalty in the entire game last week.

Say what you want to say, I don't care. I could have said a lot about the New England game and all the strange flags that helped the Pats but I didn't. The Saints played very well today, and like it or not, we won.

^@Bogie:  I have no vested interest whatsoever in the 9ers or the Saints. Both are NFC teams so the outcome of the game had no bearing on the Colts. I AM interested in a terrible call being called out, regardless of who its against. Id have said the same thing if it were against Kapernick 

BTW, if you havent seen the hit, here is a gif I found of it. Clearly hit below the neck, across the shoulder pads. 

DrewBreesNeckSuperSloMo.gif

Whatever

When Luck, Manning or Brady get roughing the passer calls, it's not a problem. No one ever brings it up, but lately I have seen many of a time Luck gets hit and you see the flags come and grant the penalty.

Brees gets one, it's a problem and it's totally wrong. Like most the time, it's always brought up how the Saints get calls that go their way in every win, but some how the Colts never get any calls, or the Pats don't, or especially the Denver Manning's who didn't receive one offensive penalty in the entire game last week.

Say what you want to say, I don't care. I could have said a lot about the New England game and all the strange flags that helped the Pats but I didn't. The Saints played very well today, and like it or not, we won.

I don't think many are complaining about the Saints winning. I personally don't give a rip. It was just a bad call, and then I posted in this thread that it was a bad call.

But seriously. Find me a statistic that says Luck gets an abnormal number of RTP calls. You keep bringing it up, and I just find it hard to believe.

Whatever

Um...I was rooting for the Saints and I thought it was a good RTP call, as did the league office, I read.

Why all the Luck hate?? If it's an illegal hit, it's an illegal hit.

^@Bogie:  I have no vested interest whatsoever in the 9ers or the Saints. Both are NFC teams so the outcome of the game had no bearing on the Colts. I AM interested in a terrible call being called out, regardless of who its against. Id have said the same thing if it were against Kapernick 

BTW, if you havent seen the hit, here is a gif I found of it. Clearly hit below the neck, across the shoulder pads. 

DrewBreesNeckSuperSloMo.gif

No, that's a good call.

It happens all the time IMO......

Saints deserved the win too.

Actually, Brees bleeding on that from his mouth kind of sealed that call IMO. I thought it was legit, besides I wanna see the Niners get stomped, beat down, & knocked out the Playoffs anyway. Brees darn near got decapitated. It reminded me of a WWF match where the clothes line maneuver gets used. 

I wonder if Brett Favre will text Drew Brees tomorrow & tell him "now you know what #4 felt like in the NFC Championship game in 2009." LOL! 

Jim Harbaugh complaining that it was a shoulder tackle is beyond ridiculous. But that's what Jim does...moan & groan about zebra calls just like he still does with that NY Giants NFC Championship Game...Sigh...

Drew Brees got lucky because he is just short.  That same hit on Tom or Peyton and it is perfectly good, but because Drew is tiny compared to other linebackers the shoulder pad is at his head level.

Be the letter of the law it was the right call, but I just rolled my eyes at it. It is the same thing when WRs knowingly put their head down when a defender is already in the motion of hitting the WR and the defender gets called for an illegal hit. Collie did that stuff all the time and I was never shocked he got drilled.

With QBs defenders just have to think way to much.  Cannot hit them to low.  Cannot hit them to high.  Better not hit them to hard because it might look worse than what it really is and you will get called.  Heck I was shocked Fletcher did not get flagged for his hit on RG3.

I understand why the NFL does it because the QBs are the face of the franchise and the money makers, but I can understand defenders frustrations as well.

Drew Brees got lucky because he is just short.  That same hit on Tom or Peyton and it is perfectly good, but because Drew is tiny compared to other linebackers the shoulder pad is at his head level.

Be the letter of the law it was the right call, but I just rolled my eyes at it. It is the same thing when WRs knowingly put their head down when a defender is already in the motion of hitting the WR and the defender gets called for an illegal hit. Collie did that stuff all the time and I was never shocked he got drilled.

With QBs defenders just have to think way to much.  Cannot hit them to low.  Cannot hit them to high.  Better not hit them to hard because it might look worse than what it really is and you will get called.  Heck I was shocked Fletcher did not get flagged for his hit on RG3.

I understand why the NFL does it because the QBs are the face of the franchise and the money makers, but I can understand defenders frustrations as well.

It's not that difficult to go a bit lower on a stationary player. This wasn't some band bang play on a receiver....Brooks has no one to blame but himself.