Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why doesn't the FO activate Rogers?

AllYouNeedIsLuck

It's not like rookie WR's have to be babied in the NFL. Rookie WR's learn the tricks of the trade pretty soon nowadays. I think he is more talented than Brazill so why not just play him occasionally as the #4 WR (in garbage time, in case of injury, and 4 WR sets) and see what we have in him. 

I understand he may not be as talented on ST as Brazill but as a WR he has to be at the very least slightly better. Not saying Brazill is bad at all but you can tell his upside is not incredibly substantial. There's a lot of talent though in a WR group of Wayne, Hilton, DHB, and Rogers.

Just some food for thought. 

Probably because he is not ready...needs to learn the O, practice the route tree, develop good work habits and practice habits on and off the field.

It would be nice to see the odd pic here and there of Rogers at practice...I keep looking at all the pics on Colts.com and have not seen #16 yet...I will check again today.

Well Im sure at this point he has learned a few of the route concepts in our system, I dont think the coaches would wait till he learned the whole playbook at this point(I figure they would have gave him a set number of plays where his number is called). I also dont think its do to attitude issues either or else he likely would have been released by now. I just dont think they have anywhere to put him right now unless you want to try him as a Return guy, ya cant take out Waye/TY/DHB because they all have much more or all of the playbook down by now, I bet he is just to raw to put out there for the coaches liking in my opinion

I will withhold my take on DHB until the season is over. We are just now getting Hilton going so maybe DHB won't be far behind. If he remains a great blocker, he should pattern his game off of Hines Ward. He was really valuable to the Steelers and that's a good niche to fill on a physical team like we are building.

It's not like rookie WR's have to be babied in the NFL. Rookie WR's learn the tricks of the trade pretty soon nowadays. I think he is more talented than Brazill so why not just play him occasionally as the #4 WR (in garbage time, in case of injury, and 4 WR sets) and see what we have in him. 

I understand he may not be as talented on ST as Brazill but as a WR he has to be at the very least slightly better. Not saying Brazill is bad at all but you can tell his upside is not incredibly substantial. There's a lot of talent though in a WR group of Wayne, Hilton, DHB, and Rogers.

Yes they do. No they don`t. 

He is a slow learner and immature. No guarantee he will ever make it because of his Mental issues.

Brazil has speed and quickness. That he can`t/isn`t developing into a VG route runner is yet to be seen.

Because in this offense you get more production out of a ST player than a 4th WR.

I think the only way he plays this year is injuries. I don't see him being in the team's long term plans like many here do. He has potential, but at this point, he's just a project player who might or might not make it. No reason for the coaching staff to actively seek a way to get him on the field. He's just insurance with upside to them

I hope not but i think the DHB project is over :banana:

:scratch:

So we should play a guy who couldn't make the Bills practice squad a few months ago?

He wasn't great, but he made some clutch catches against SF.  He blocks well and apparently garners enough respect to draw Richard Sherman in coverage.

:scratch:

So we should play a guy who couldn't make the Bills practice squad a few months ago?

He wasn't great, but he made some clutch catches against SF.  He blocks well and apparently garners enough respect to draw Richard Sherman in coverage.

Sherman and Browner stay on their side, much like Davis and Toler. So no...he did not garner enough respect...he simply ran out of the huddle to Shermans side lol.

I like the kid, he has heart.. I just feel like the love is a little strong too for him here. So far he is easily replaceable..Could be interesting to see what happens with Brazill back in the lineup.

Sherman and Browner stay on their side, much like Davis and Toler. So no...he did not garner enough respect...he simply ran out of the huddle to Shermans side lol.

I like the kid, he has heart.. I just feel like the love is a little strong too for him here. So far he is easily replaceable..Could be interesting to see what happens with Brazill back in the lineup.

lol, that explains it.  He's a a split end so far, taking the jam at the line so Wayne and Hilton remain free at flanker and slot respectively.  

He hasn't earned a return yet next year, but he hasn't earned some of the weird random hate he gets either.  I think I was overcompensating.  :D

Man...heard about the famous Whalen all last year and still this year...like he will be the difference maker on this team and now we start in on Rogers. I think I will worry about our guys when the coaches think they are good enough for the 53 man roster...until then....any team can claim them so I don't even consider them Colts.

Man...heard about the famous Whalen all last year and still this year...like he will be the difference maker on this team and now we start in on Rogers. I think I will worry about our guys when the coaches think they are good enough for the 53 man roster...until then....any team can claim them so I don't even consider them Colts.

I agree with that they aren't on the roster because the coaches don't think they are good enough.

However I think the reasons they aren't good enough are different.  Whalen is a borderline talent who is known to work very hard.  Rogers on the other the hand is reported to have the raw talent to be a star WR in the NFL.   It has been reported he has an attitude problem when it comes to working hard.  If those reports are true I have ZERO issue with him having to earn his way on to the roster.  It's probably the best thing he could have to do.  If he gets his attitude problems under control he could be a great find by the Colts. 

Again though, I would agree he's probably not ready yet which is why he's not on the main roster and I fully agree with the idea that's why he's not on the roster.  I would also agree there is a chance he might not ever be ready.