Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Don't like what ifs-but if Freeney

chrisfarley

was still here and we could afford him, might we be REALLY good on "D"?  He is playing linebacker for the Chargers as you know.  He's really playing terrific according to the Chargers.  Here is a good read.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/sep/19/dwight-freeney-chargers-linebacker-corey-liuget/

I realize many threads to this same effect have been put out here but I think this accompanying article (above link) is worth a look. And it's worth to talk about a future hall of famer and former Colt who will be in the circle of honor very soon and what he could be doing for the Colts based on his defensive position for the Chargers.  They REALLY like him.  I think his Hyperbolic Chamber is a smash hit.  It's like a mechanical HGH deployment.

Here are a few of the comments from Charger fans about Freeney:

• Tim Williams · Colorado Technical University
    Dwight you are a flat out stud. I hope you finnally get your chance after all those years with Payton and not being allowed to hit him. We get to play him twice and that should allow you to leave your impression on him. BOLT UP STUD WE ALL LOVE SEEING RECK QBS
  • 1116396_788814273_1648715444_q.jpg
      Binh Q Tran · Top Commenter · University of Iowa
    Freeney is a beast! The miracle is, if he can help keep English on the field this season, we might get a 2-for-1 with this pickup.
  • UlIqmHJn-SK.gif
      Chris Cook · Top Commenter · Orange Glen High
    The lone bright spot of preseason was that Freeney served notice he has come to play , not merely collect a check from a rebuilding team willing to pay him - darn shame Mel isn't rotating in - a secondary needs pressure to succeed , ours probably more than most , so Freeney and Co. are critical in that regard . Should get to Locker at least once .
  • 41641_100000033737612_9781_q.jpg
      Curtis Van de Veld · Top Commenter
    What is the reason Dwight is a legit future hall of famer? He doesn't grandstand and overhype his value, instead he goes about making sure that he is in condition to achieve success every time he plays. From conditioning to diet, Freeney acts like a professional and takes care of business. His influence on the Chargers youth will be memorable years after he stops playing. This was the best off-season talent acquisition the Chargers made - bar none.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TeamLoloJones

was still here and we could afford him, might we be REALLY good on "D"?  He is playing linebacker for the Chargers as you know.  He's really playing terrific according to the Chargers.  Here is a good read.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/sep/19/dwight-freeney-chargers-linebacker-corey-liuget/

I realize many threads to this same effect have been put out here but I think this accompanying article (above link) is worth a look. And it's worth to talk about a future hall of famer and former Colt who will be in the circle of honor very soon and what he could be doing for the Colts based on his defensive position for the Chargers.  They REALLY like him.  I think his Hyperbolic Chamber is a smash hit.  It's like a mechanical HGH deployment.

Dwight you are a flat out stud. I hope you finnally get your chance after all those years with Payton and not being allowed to hit him. We get to play him twice and that should allow you to leave your impression on him. BOLT UP STUD WE ALL LOVE SEEING RECK QBS
    Freeney is a beast! The miracle is, if he can help keep English on the field this season, we might get a 2-for-1 with this pickup.
  • UlIqmHJn-SK.gif
    The lone bright spot of preseason was that Freeney served notice he has come to play , not merely collect a check from a rebuilding team willing to pay him - darn shame Mel isn't rotating in - a secondary needs pressure to succeed , ours probably more than most , so Freeney and Co. are critical in that regard . Should get to Locker at least once .
    What is the reason Dwight is a legit future hall of famer? He doesn't grandstand and overhype his value, instead he goes about making sure that he is in condition to achieve success every time he plays. From conditioning to diet, Freeney acts like a professional and takes care of business. His influence on the Chargers youth will be memorable years after he stops playing. This was the best off-season talent acquisition the Chargers made - bar none.

Our defense would be worse with Dwight in a starting role...I don't understand why some people still don't get it.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Cuz spin move.

You want to spend $6 Million on 0.5 a sack for 3 games? And an enormous liability on anything other than third and long? And is "doing great things" on one of the worst defenses in the league right now?  Ok then.

Guest TeamLoloJones

You all are forgetting that he leads the league in hurries / pressures.  read the article.

You don't get it. He could lead the league in sacks right now and it would not change my opinion.  He cannot play a rush linebacker in a 3-4 defense. Period.

Aren't those basically the same stats everyone is crying about Werner having, and saying he's no good?

#Nostalgia.

Glaring differences though, Freeney is useless against the run with very few years left to play, Werner while not very consistent at all against the run has many years left to improve, Its not apparent that the "run it at Freeney he cant stop it" rule applies. With Werner its about technique and maybe strength and play recognition. Freeney has also played much more I think

Our defense would be worse with Dwight in a starting role...I don't understand why some people still don't get it.

They will get it when we run the ball right at him. 

I Love Dwight, but he is a pure pass rusher and best suited as a RDE on a 4-3 team that scores a lot of points and forces opponents to pass a lot.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Glaring differences though, Freeney is useless against the run with very few years left to play, Werner while not very consistent at all against the run has many years left to improve, Its not apparent that the "run it at Freeney he cant stop it" rule applies. With Werner its about technique and maybe strength and play recognition. Freeney has also played much more I think

You have to factor in $ too.

I think the beauty of Ryan Grigson is his ability to save our team money to find the hidden gems and Pagano's defensive genius to make it all work. I'll take a cheaper yet effective player in Freeman, Werner, etc. any day over a top-dollar DE, like Freeney.

You don't get it. He could lead the league in sacks right now and it would not change my opinion.  He cannot play a rush linebacker in a 3-4 defense. Period.

Not to mention gameplanning for Freeney is not nearly as difficult as what some make it sound like.....Just run it through the hole he creates.....Hard game plan eh?

Guest TeamLoloJones

How much is he making?  I know it's up there but it's not astronomical from what I remember.  Perhaps I'm forgetting and it's more than I think it is.

His cap figure is about 3.5 mil this year and 5+ mil next year.  That would make him our 11th highest paid player this year, and the 4th highest next year.

Guest TeamLoloJones

That's a pretty substantial cap hit. Although we have decent amounts of cap space and hopefully not a lot of dead money.

We have enough older veterans to phase out and replace with young draft picks, like Franklin, Redding, and Mathis.  Next year we do have a lot of cap space, north of 30 mil I beileve and only about 1 mil in dead money, compared to the 8 mil in dead money we have this year.  But we have a lot of one year contracts (DHB, Bradshaw, Franklin) and a few notable players to resign (Vontae, Bethea, McAfee) among others, so we might not have a ton of cash in free agency.  I floated the idea in another thread of cutting down Satele's base salary next year.  He's got a cap hit of 5 milion, with a base salary of 4 mil. That would free up some room.  Also I don't think we will have any rollover this year.

We have enough older veterans to phase out and replace with young draft picks, like Franklin, Redding, and Mathis.  Next year we do have a lot of cap space, north of 30 mil I beileve and only about 1 mil in dead money, compared to the 8 mil in dead money we have this year.  But we have a lot of one year contracts (DHB, Bradshaw, Franklin) and a few notable players to resign (Vontae, Bethea, McAfee) among others, so we might not have a ton of cash in free agency.  I floated the idea in another thread of cutting down Satele's base salary next year.  He's got a cap hit of 5 milion, with a base salary of 4 mil. That would free up some room.  Also I don't think we will have any rollover this year.

I dont look for Franklin  to be back

• UlIqmHJn-SK.gif

Hard to say if we really would or could have signed him. It does appear that we just didn't want him back as I don't think the Colts negotiated with his agent. Playing the "what if game" , Freeney wanted 6 mill per year and that was well over his market value. No way the Colts buckle in to that demand. So Dwight goes out and tests the free market. In most cases that pretty much means he signs with another team. There are a few cases where the player comes back to his original team and signs for much less than his original demand , but usually this is not the case. 

That said . IMO , he would have helped no doubt helped us even if we played him mostly on passing downs. He is for sure putting serious pressure on QB's this year. The stats people are throwing out there don't tell the story. Looks to me that that ankle injury last year probably affected his play all year. His still has some gas left in the tank.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Hard to say if we really would or could have signed him. It does appear that we just didn't want him back as I don't think the Colts negotiated with his agent. Playing the "what if game" , Freeney wanted 6 mill per year and that was well over his market value. No way the Colts buckle in to that demand. So Dwight goes out and tests the free market. In most cases that pretty much means he signs with another team. There are a few cases where the player comes back to his original team and signs for much less than his original demand , but usually this is not the case. 

That said . IMO , he would have helped no doubt helped us even if we played him mostly on passing downs. He is for sure putting serious pressure on QB's this year. The stats people are throwing out there don't tell the story. Looks to me that that ankle injury last year probably affected his play all year. His still has some gas left in the tank.

If he was going to play for 2 million, then yeah I'd want him to stay too.  Otherwise not so much

Money isn't an issue, i remember an interview when DF was a FA and he said he wanted to end his career as a colt and would take any offer from here.
The important thing here is that Grigson, Pagano and Irsay want to create a dinasty from the bases, bringing new players and veterans to coach them. In that point DF didn't get a chance because he didn't fit in our new D-Scheme.

Aren't those basically the same stats everyone is crying about Werner having, and saying he's no good?

#Nostalgia.

The difference is, one is 23 with upside and the other is 33 on the decline.  People can whine about a rookies stats all they want, but he will improve.   Takes more than 3 games to reach your full potential.

Look...I loved Freeney. But we have to admit he was a liability in the run dept. Mathis was a bit more versatile so we kept him. Werner is only a rookie, so give him time. And MOST IMPORTANTLY......Werner did an interview with local sport radio host JMV, who is a big Die Hard fan, and successfully got Werner to say "shoot the glass." a la Hans Gruber....dude gets a two year pass for that alone!!

Money isn't an issue, i remember an interview when DF was a FA and he said he wanted to end his career as a colt and would take any offer from here.

The important thing here is that Grigson, Pagano and Irsay want to create a dinasty from the bases, bringing new players and veterans to coach them. In that point DF didn't get a chance because he didn't fit in our new D-Scheme.

I don't think he said he would have taken ANY offer, but he sounded like he would have given us the home town discount. 

I wanted us to keep him - but not as a starter, as a role player.  People keep saying he can't play OLB.  Well, he wouldn't be playing OLB, he'd be playing DE in our 4-3 when we go into pass defense.  They want to run on him?  Good, let them run on 3rd and long.

Like others have said, it's not how many sacks he has, it's how much pressure he puts on the QB.  At a decent price, he would have been a benefit to the Colts if he would have accepted a role as a situational player. 

I don't see how anyone can disagree with that.