Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson vs. Polian [Merge]

theanarchist

OK, I know he isn't dead. Atleast I don't think so. But after seeing the trade for Trent Richardson I really can't help but think that the former President of Football Operations would be shocked. I like what Grigson did with the team last year. He signed some guys and made some mid to low level trades for guys who needed to prove themselves and it worked out great. He looked like a genius.

After this years draft and some of the trades he's pulling now I have to wonder if Grigson is playing fantasy football. I don't dislike Trent Richardson. I had him on MY fantasy team last year and he had a pretty good year. On paper he's a great running back. Speed, power, hands. I hope like hell that this trade works out. If not this team could go south. Grigson has invested a TON of $ this year. If these moves turn out to be clunkers we are going to be hurting for a long time.

I just cant help but think about the Polian Mantra....Build thru the draft, free agency is a mirage...invest conservatively and wisely. Grigson is throwing $ and draft picks around very freely.

OK, I know he isn't dead. Atleast I don't think so. But after seeing the trade for Trent Richardson I really can't help but think that the former President of Football Operations would be shocked. I like what Grigson did with the team last year. He signed some guys and made some mid to low level trades for guys who needed to prove themselves and it worked out great. He looked like a genius.

After this years draft and some of the trades he's pulling now I have to wonder if Grigson is playing fantasy football. I don't dislike Trent Richardson. I had him on MY fantasy team last year and he had a pretty good year. On paper he's a great running back. Speed, power, hands. I hope like heck that this trade works out. If not this team could go south. Grigson has invested a TON of $ this year. If these moves turn out to be clunkers we are going to be hurting for a long time.

I just cant help but think about the Polian Mantra....Build thru the draft, free agency is a mirage...invest conservatively and wisely. Grigson is throwing $ and draft picks around very freely.

this move is building via the draft. He traded a draft pick for Richardson. His salary is very low compared to getting a high end free agent rb

I think the main goal is still to build through the draft. We had a lot of money that had to be spent and we will still have money next year. The contracts (for the most part) are intelligently structured. I think Grigson is trying to capitalize on the short term success we have had. I personally would have preferred Richardson over anything that would be available at our 2014 draft position......2nd year top 3 pick for crying out loud.

I would assume that Irsay made it clear that he wan't the team improved quickly when Grigson was hired. 

My have things certainly changed... Years came and went with colts fans holding out hope that our gm would make some moves in free agency or via trade, but it simply never happened. Instead we chose to build through the draft and while we did win a championship, the process of getting the roster to that point was less than exciting. Now as only a little over two offseasons have come to pass, our roster has changed dramatically. Trades, signings of free agents and drafting of stud players has me vaguely remembering the polian regime and checking my phone every five minutes to see if grigs has pulled off another deal. This man has ultimately won my respect for his courage to seek out what and who he wants and to pull the trigger to, in the end make this ream elite. I'm thankful for polian in some ways but there isn't anyone else I'd rather have calling the shots for our roster. Grigson for GM executive of the year again anyone???

After this years draft and some of the trades he's pulling now I have to wonder if Grigson is playing fantasy football. I don't dislike Trent Richardson. I had him on MY fantasy team last year and he had a pretty good year. On paper he's a great running back. Speed, power, hands. I hope like heck that this trade works out. If not this team could go south. Grigson has invested a TON of $ this year. If these moves turn out to be clunkers we are going to be hurting for a long time.

LOL.. I happen to remeber that Polian absolutely loved Tret Richardson going into the 2012 draft. So I googled it and here's the first thing I found..

Former Colts GM Bill Polian regards running-back Trent Richardson as equal to Luck and RG3 in his overall value in the upcoming NFL Draft.

Bill Polian is considered a influential and trusted opinion in the NFL and is credited with the turning franchises around such as the Bills (86-93) and Colts (97-2012).  

However Polian’s greatest accomplishment was creating the roster of the Carolina Panthers team that in it’s second year of existence went to the NFC championship game.

While some media talking heads are speculating Richardson’s overall value with little or no knowledge of how the NFL draft operates experts continue to refute their claims of Richardson’s overall draft value.  Polian and many more former NFL scouts, front office people, and real experts who have been in war rooms are making it clear Trent Richardson shouldn’t be passed on in the NFL Draft.

Poiian -  "Richardson is a great kid, a hard worker, a very powerful heavy-duty back, a good blocker, and whose under contract for three and a half more years at a reasonable rate. And Cleveland has paid his signing bonus for what figures to be a first round pick in the 20's. It doesn't compute from Cleveland's standpoint."

Poiian -  "Richardson is a great kid, a hard worker, a very powerful heavy-duty back, a good blocker, and whose under contract for three and a half more years at a reasonable rate. And Cleveland has paid his signing bonus for what figures to be a first round pick in the 20's. It doesn't compute from Cleveland's standpoint."

I think one could say he under contract for 4 more years and be a lot more accurate than one who said 3 1/2 years.

LOL.. I happen to remeber that Polian absolutely loved Tret Richardson going into the 2012 draft. So I googled it and here's the first thing I found..

Former Colts GM Bill Polian regards running-back Trent Richardson as equal to Luck and RG3 in his overall value in the upcoming NFL Draft.

Bill Polian is considered a influential and trusted opinion in the NFL and is credited with the turning franchises around such as the Bills (86-93) and Colts (97-2012).  

However Polian’s greatest accomplishment was creating the roster of the Carolina Panthers team that in it’s second year of existence went to the NFC championship game.

While some media talking heads are speculating Richardson’s overall value with little or no knowledge of how the NFL draft operates experts continue to refute their claims of Richardson’s overall draft value.  Polian and many more former NFL scouts, front office people, and real experts who have been in war rooms are making it clear Trent Richardson shouldn’t be passed on in the NFL Draft.

That first sentence proves that Polian is off his rocker

I can appreciate Polian's approach and the success it had, but I also like Grigs' more aggressive approach.  I always wanted Polian to make more moves during free agency, but he never did.  I like how Grigs is approaching it.  One could make the case that Grigs is signing too many free agents, but we will have to see how they pan out

That first sentence proves that Polian is off his rocker

No argument here. I was tarred and feathered in another forum for saying Polian wrecked our roster before the 2011 season began. I also think he's losing some of his faculties as many of us do with age. 

Comparing a player from fantasy football and real football leaves out what a player brings to the team. In fantasy it's all about what a players does on his own. In real football it is what his effect has on the team. Apples and oranges. Part of the problem with a lot of fans is they combine the two. I play fantasy football and enjoy it as much as anyone but there is a huge difference between fantasy and reality. How many years did AP smoke in fantasy football but yet the Vikings piled up losses? 

I just wrote what he said, but I believe Polian was factoring in that we might sign him to a new contract before he enters his last year. 

I know you were just quoting him . I was pointing out that it's two games short of 4 years. And no he was not referring to any new contracts. Richardson is signed to a 4 year deal with a team option for the 5th. Polian subtracted 2012 and called the two games he's played this year a half year and figured that's 3.5 years. If you want to consider two games a half year then he's right. 

Grigson has stated the draft is the way to build a team.  But we are, unfortunately, in a WIN NOW time.  Grigs can't afford 3-4 years of building.  He has to win now to see the fruit of his efforts.   So my guess will be he brings in veterans now, gets the team doing well, and eventually these players will be replaced with homegrown talent.  Polian did it as well when he first came in.  Not quite as much, but he did it.

And as another person said, it is almost like Richardson is a draft pick.  22 yo potentially premier RBs are hard to come by.

I think it is unfair to compare Grigs to Polian.  It is like comparing Luck to Manning.   Polian is arguably one of the greatest talent evaluators in NFL history.  Grigs has been a GM one year.  But hopefully someday we will put them at the same level.

I love the trade!!!

I think Grigs has pretty much proven himself. His first draft was great, and I'd say his first free agent class has been good, too. Factor in that he has added two potentially elite players in Rich and Davis, I'm happy. I think he has an eye for talent and even though we won't have a first round pick this year, I believe he can find players later in the draft.

My original point was only to make light of the fact that polian wanted to build thru the draft and not make many trades, if at all, and he would have never pulled a trade like this. Good or bad I we won't know for a while. I hope it works out.

Wasn't a bad post but I think you might just be a tad off . If you listen to Polian on sirius.. the link is here , you can hear that he loves this trade. He's hardly "rolling over in his grave." He never could have made a trade like this as these kinds of trades are very rare .... teams don't normally eat 13 million $ signing bonuses after one year. Sounds to me that he would have jumped on this deal in an instant. The trades you normally see are the small ones and the ones involving star players in the last year of their contract.... not stuff like this.

Also Polian had to keep his draft choices as he kept handing out record contracts. He had to fill the last 15 or so roster spots with low pay rookies. There was no cap room for free agents or other teams vets. He no doubt did have confidence in his ability to draft well enough to pull this off. This all went to the dickens when Chris Poilan took over. 

Not to keep picking at you , but the 2nd rounder he traded for Booger during the 2006 season probably enabled us to stop the run and win a SB.

Grigson has stated the draft is the way to build a team.  But we are, unfortunately, in a WIN NOW time.  Grigs can't afford 3-4 years of building.  He has to win now to see the fruit of his efforts.   So my guess will be he brings in veterans now, gets the team doing well, and eventually these players will be replaced with homegrown talent.  Polian did it as well when he first came in.  Not quite as much, but he did it.

And as another person said, it is almost like Richardson is a draft pick.  22 yo potentially premier RBs are hard to come by.

I think it is unfair to compare Grigs to Polian.  It is like comparing Luck to Manning.   Polian is arguably one of the greatest talent evaluators in NFL history.  Grigs has been a GM one year.  But hopefully someday we will put them at the same level.

I love the trade!!!

This is not really like trading any of your "future" away. There are no multiple draft picks in following years involved. If he included a 2015 and 2016 pick , then your right ... he would be trading away some "future stuff to "win now." This is a 23 year old kid with only 1 year of his 5 year contract gone. So all you really are giving up in future years is 1 year of a 1st round player's contract. This is dwarfed by just the fact that Cleveland ate around 10 Million $ in prorated bonus on his contract. So instead of him costing us the "market " rate of about 4.7 mill per year , he's costing us 2.2 mill per year. 

I know you were just quoting him . I was pointing out that it's two games short of 4 years. And no he was not referring to any new contracts. Richardson is signed to a 4 year deal with a team option for the 5th. Polian subtracted 2012 and called the two games he's played this year a half year and figured that's 3.5 years. If you want to consider two games a half year then he's right. 

If you are going to be technical then the new football season starts in March, it is now September, September minus March equals 6 months which is 1/2 a year.

Just sayin'

If you are going to be technical then the new football season starts in March, it is now September, September minus March equals 6 months which is 1/2 a year.

Just sayin'

So if you and I were to split the cost of the NFL ticket (hypothetical as it's not possible) , I'll let you have March through September. 

I'm certainly not a fan of what Polian did his last few years here so my opinion of his opinion is greatly diminished from what it was a few years ago.  That being said with his reluctance to make trades/free agent signings, especially when it involves giving up draft picks, him saying this is a horrible deal for the Browns and good for us means a lot.  

Yup. This deal was only possible thanks to that rookie contract limit they have in place now. No more ridiculous top 3 pick contracts. Ahem. Stafford and Bradford...

That's just it, we are in a different era with the rookie salary cap.

How Grigson fairs remains to be seen. He will strike out along the way but hopefully when the dust settles his moves will pay off.