Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson vs. Polian [Merge]

theanarchist

i have reached my like quota, so i have to clutter the thread with the old way of liking a post.

Well thanks. I mean geez , if we play even 1 post season game , that would be 15 out of 17 games. I'm pretty sure we'll pay 7/8ths of his 2013 base salary .. not 50%. How in the heck can anyone assert that we have him for 50% of the 2013 year and not  84% ? Unless you want to say the missed training camp is an issue ? But that's really only around 5 weeks.  But whatever.....

IMO, this would have been a good trade if, we had Reggie's replacement on the roster, the O-line was better, and if our Defense was better.  Through this trade, we have to wait to get a #1 WR, we have to get better through FA on the O-line and have to hope that some late round Defense pick is a sleeper.

I'm certainly not a fan of what Polian did his last few years here so my opinion of his opinion is greatly diminished from what it was a few years ago.  That being said with his reluctance to make trades/free agent signings, especially when it involves giving up draft picks, him saying this is a horrible deal for the Browns and good for us means a lot.  

I think it just simply depends on who is right about Richardson. Polian loved him coming out in 2012. he thought he was an equal talent to Luck and RG3. Cleveland on the other hand must feel that he is not a special talent ... otherwise they would have to be on drugs. If the Colts make the playoffs , IMO Richardson doesn't have to be a great back to make this a good deal for us. However if we end up something like 6-10 , the pick would be around 10-11 and Richardson would need to be more than just a good back.

OK, I know he isn't dead. Atleast I don't think so. But after seeing the trade for Trent Richardson I really can't help but think that the former President of Football Operations would be shocked. I like what Grigson did with the team last year. He signed some guys and made some mid to low level trades for guys who needed to prove themselves and it worked out great. He looked like a genius.

After this years draft and some of the trades he's pulling now I have to wonder if Grigson is playing fantasy football. I don't dislike Trent Richardson. I had him on MY fantasy team last year and he had a pretty good year. On paper he's a great running back. Speed, power, hands. I hope like heck that this trade works out. If not this team could go south. Grigson has invested a TON of $ this year. If these moves turn out to be clunkers we are going to be hurting for a long time.

I just cant help but think about the Polian Mantra....Build thru the draft, free agency is a mirage...invest conservatively and wisely. Grigson is throwing $ and draft picks around very freely.

Uh, what?  Check out Bill Polians 2007-2011 drafts sometime.  Laughably bad.  His mantra was more like "Surround Peyton with a bunch of undersized, marginally talented undrafted free agents, and watch him carry us to 10-11 wins and a first game playoff loss"

Grigson's 2012 draft was better than those 5 drafts of Polians combined.  You don't need to tell him about building thru the draft.

OK, I know he isn't dead. Atleast I don't think so. But after seeing the trade for Trent Richardson I really can't help but think that the former President of Football Operations would be shocked. I like what Grigson did with the team last year. He signed some guys and made some mid to low level trades for guys who needed to prove themselves and it worked out great. He looked like a genius.

After this years draft and some of the trades he's pulling now I have to wonder if Grigson is playing fantasy football. I don't dislike Trent Richardson. I had him on MY fantasy team last year and he had a pretty good year. On paper he's a great running back. Speed, power, hands. I hope like heck that this trade works out. If not this team could go south. Grigson has invested a TON of $ this year. If these moves turn out to be clunkers we are going to be hurting for a long time.

I just cant help but think about the Polian Mantra....Build thru the draft, free agency is a mirage...invest conservatively and wisely. Grigson is throwing $ and draft picks around very freely.

There is just no camparison to their situations.

All Grigson did was use the available Huge cap space on player salaries to fill the roster.

GM`s make commitments to do this every year.

A few contracts we are locked into for 3 years because of the size of the signing bonuses, but mostly just one year commitments because of the signing bonuses.

Quite a good gamble based on the Plethora of guys who are 25-26 and just coming into their own. If they are what he thinks they were he keeps them, if not - Boing.

I give Griggs a 10 on his stratedgy and excecution.

Much mediocrity - busts are found in the first 3 rounds of the draft.

Griggs will soon have much less opportunity to make these moves after we Resign our free agents.

Just thinking about this. Before Polian got fired, late in the 2011 season, he said the Colts needed a massive infusion of talent at major positions. I think this qualifies as a step in that direction. I don't think this is the kind of move Polian would ever have made, but he himself said that this kind of action was needed to help the Colts get back to contending for titles. 

Wasn't a bad post but I think you might just be a tad off . If you listen to Polian on sirius.. the link is here , you can hear that he loves this trade. He's hardly "rolling over in his grave." He never could have made a trade like this as these kinds of trades are very rare .... teams don't normally eat 13 million $ signing bonuses after one year. Sounds to me that he would have jumped on this deal in an instant. The trades you normally see are the small ones and the ones involving star players in the last year of their contract.... not stuff like this.

Also Polian had to keep his draft choices as he kept handing out record contracts. He had to fill the last 15 or so roster spots with low pay rookies. There was no cap room for free agents or other teams vets. He no doubt did have confidence in his ability to draft well enough to pull this off. This all went to the dickens when Chris Poilan took over. 

Not to keep picking at you , but the 2nd rounder he traded for Booger during the 2006 season probably enabled us to stop the run and win a SB.

I don't see it as picking. Good point. Even tho booger only lasted a year he was instrumental down the stretch to the SB win. Good points

Uh, what?  Check out Bill Polians 2007-2011 drafts sometime.  Laughably bad.  His mantra was more like "Surround Peyton with a bunch of undersized, marginally talented undrafted free agents, and watch him carry us to 10-11 wins and a first game playoff loss"

Grigson's 2012 draft was better than those 5 drafts of Polians combined.  You don't need to tell him about building thru the draft.

I understand Polian's last few drafts were bad. But he did say every single off season...Build thru the draft...fill in with undrafted free agents and a low level FA.

I don't agree with how Polian did everything just saying that was his mantra. I did not like the fact that Polian did not invest more into the offensive line toward the end. It hurt the team and it killed the running game we had in the early days. That and Edge wore down and we never really replaced his greatness.

Just thinking about this. Before Polian got fired, late in the 2011 season, he said the Colts needed a massive infusion of talent at major positions. I think this qualifies as a step in that direction. I don't think this is the kind of move Polian would ever have made, but he himself said that this kind of action was needed to help the Colts get back to contending for titles. 

I totally agree with this.

Thanks to Polian's completely incompetent drafting for half a decade before he got fired, we were definitely left in position where we needed an infusion of talent.

Interesting excerpt from http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/75160/the-browns-hit-reset-again-with-an-unprecedented-trade

"This does continue an interesting trend for Grigson. In the past, I've written about how elite general managers like Ted Thompson tend to hoard draft picks during the initial thrust of their rebuilding efforts, in the hopes of using their knowledge to find talented young players who fit their team's systems. Grigson, to the contrary, has been happy to shed picks to acquire the players he wants. He traded up with the Niners in the 2012 draft to pick T.Y. Hilton in the third round, has already dealt a 2014 fourth-rounder for a 2013 fifth-rounder, and has given up draft picks to acquire veterans like Vontae Davis (acquired for a second-round pick), Winston Justice (sixth-rounder), Drew Stanton (sixth-rounder), Cam Johnson (seventh-rounder), and Josh Gordy (undisclosed). He spent a lot of money this offseason on players with pretty noticeable flaws, too. While most young general managers obsess over building through the draft, Grigson is trading his draft picks away and going after veterans to fill the back half of his roster. It doesn't seem like the best organizational philosophy, but having won General Manager of the Year in 2012, Grigson also probably deserves the time to let these moves play out before they're judged."

I like the Richardson pick up.  Certainly has the potential to be a great situation for him here in Indy, 

The thing I wonder about is... with Grigson being so quick to drop and add, will that ever cause players (and agents) to hold him in less regard.  If the guy is perceived as trigger-happy, will you ever trust him.