Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Worse offseason move was keeping Pagano and letting Arians walk....

jshipp23

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, September 17, 2013 - personal argument
Hidden by Nadine, September 17, 2013 - personal argument

Says the sarcastic armchair poster who rarely provides a post of any substance.

I don't respond to idiocy with substance....I have found its a complete waste of time.

I don't respond to idiocy with substance....I have found its a complete waste of time.

That's interesting, because you sure do expend a signifnicant amount of energy on this forum responding to things that, as you say, are a "complete waste of time".

That's interesting, because you sure do expend a signifnicant amount of energy on this forum responding to things that, as you say, are a "complete waste of time".

That post took 5 seconds out of my day. You're right, I better slow down.

Well, to be fair, there wasn't much to work with in this thread.

So losing the winnable games you have to win in a brutal schedule against a team your at home against and have superior talent means the coaches are doing great....Almost cost us the game against Raiders too...These games should have both been blowouts or at very least comfortable wins....We better do something different soon or the Broncos, Seahawks, and 49ers are really gonna give us a rude awakening, and it's a shame because I LIKE  the talent on this team I think we can compete now and we are being outcoached...Raiders coach Allen came here with a bunch of bums and damn near took us out...Unexcusable, we are sooo much better than this...We just can't seem to pick coaches first Caldwell now this guy?? We should have got a proven guy, a Cowher, Gruden, Herm Edwards, Harbaugh....not a guy who was a dc 1 year for a team that had great talent on d and great leaders for years....Now we have the MORAL obligation to stick with him cause he was sick...IDK I hope I'm wrong but we have playoff talent and can't almost lose to the Raiders and lose to the Dolphins at home...

jmac_48 -

"Do you not think that some of the blame could be put on the players for lack of execution?

Both Reggie and Luck admitted such in interviews.  ..."

Yes, there are new faces and execution is the factor.  Yet, the other team has professionals too, and they get paid as well.  That can sometimes 'interfere' with your ability to execute.  Whether you are having an 'off' day or are playing at you best, if you lose the one on one battle in front of you, your ability to execute is quite diminished. We are getting outplayed on many fronts. It's the NFL and there is more parity than fans admit. You have to be a bit better than you opponent more often every week.  Other teams are trying to get better too.  We have to get a little more better, a little quicker. ;)

So losing the winnable games you have to win in a brutal schedule against a team your at home against and have superior talent means the coaches are doing great....Almost cost us the game against Raiders too...These games should have both been blowouts or at very least comfortable wins....We better do something different soon or the Broncos, Seahawks, and 49ers are really gonna give us a rude awakening, and it's a shame because I LIKE  the talent on this team I think we can compete now and we are being outcoached...Raiders coach Allen came here with a bunch of bums and darn near took us out...Unexcusable, we are sooo much better than this...We just can't seem to pick coaches first Caldwell now this guy?? We should have got a proven guy, a Cowher, Gruden, Herm Edwards, Harbaugh....not a guy who was a dc 1 year for a team that had great talent on d and great leaders for years....Now we have the MORAL obligation to stick with him cause he was sick...IDK I hope I'm wrong but we have playoff talent and can't almost lose to the Raiders and lose to the Dolphins at home...

I never said Pagano was doing great.  I am all for blaming coaches for bad play calling - no coach is perfect.  Same with Grigs - picking up players that don't pan out but set us back cap wise.  But these things are only within purview months if not years donw the road.  I'm not saying we should excuse them in spite of their mistakes.  I'm saying we shouldn't overreact to their mistakes and make long term judgments based on a small sample size of games.  It's a long season against some very difficult teams.   

Pep, Pagano and Manusky have serious flaws they need to work out.

I expect our offense to take the short chunks of yardage instead of shooting for the big play under Hamilton. Yesterday I felt like it was a running play or a 40 yard pass. Pep & Pagano also need to work on pass protection for Luck with the RB's and the O-line.

I expect Pagano, who was given high praise for his work in the Baltomore secondary to get moving on this secondary. We have an ELITE group of DB's starting back there and so far they have been sub-par.

I Expect Manusky to make the defense come together as a whole. We need to keep up the work on the run defense, and Pagano/Manusky need to work together on the Secondary.

Once all of this comes together we should be blowing out teams like OAK, and MIA. If this doesn't come together by Sunday we will be like ducks on a pond for SF.

I never said Pagano was doing great.  I am all for blaming coaches for bad play calling - no coach is perfect.  Same with Grigs - picking up players that don't pan out but set us back cap wise.  But these things are only within purview months if not years donw the road.  I'm not saying we should excuse them in spite of their mistakes.  I'm saying we shouldn't overreact to their mistakes and make long term judgments based on a small sample size of games.  It's a long season against some very difficult teams.   

I hope it all works out....We are gonna stick with Pagano regardless at least 3 years even if we regress terribly...I hope I'm wrong and he becomes a great coach...First 2 weeks we was thoroughly outcoached by Allen and Philbin though, and it worries me....As far as acquiring talent I think Grigson is doing great, but if the wrong guy is leading them it's all for nothing...We go win in San Fran next week and he coaches a good game I'll be the first to praise him, but haven't seen much 1st two weeks at all....

Grigs never signed anyone that will set us back cap wise. We front loaded all the contracts so if they don't pan out we can walk away after this year.

I hope it all works out....We are gonna stick with Pagano regardless at least 3 years even if we regress terribly...I hope I'm wrong and he becomes a great coach...First 2 weeks we was thoroughly outcoached by Allen and Philbin though, and it worries me....As far as acquiring talent I think Grigson is doing great, but if the wrong guy is leading them it's all for nothing...We go win in San Fran next week and he coaches a good game I'll be the first to praise him, but haven't seen much 1st two weeks at all....

Just curious....what do you think of Satele and McGlynn's talent level and performance?

Pep, Pagano and Manusky have serious flaws they need to work out.

I expect our offense to take the short chunks of yardage instead of shooting for the big play under Hamilton. Yesterday I felt like it was a running play or a 40 yard pass. Pep & Pagano also need to work on pass protection for Luck with the RB's and the O-line.

I expect Pagano, who was given high praise for his work in the Baltomore secondary to get moving on this secondary. We have an ELITE group of DB's starting back there and so far they have been sub-par.

I Expect Manusky to make the defense come together as a whole. We need to keep up the work on the run defense, and Pagano/Manusky need to work together on the Secondary.

Once all of this comes together we should be blowing out teams like OAK, and MIA. If this doesn't come together by Sunday we will be like ducks on a pond for SF.

Don't know if I'd say an elite group just yet.  It has that potential though.  Still got a long ways to go.   

So losing the winnable games you have to win in a brutal schedule against a team your at home against and have superior talent means the coaches are doing great....Almost cost us the game against Raiders too...These games should have both been blowouts or at very least comfortable wins....We better do something different soon or the Broncos, Seahawks, and 49ers are really gonna give us a rude awakening, and it's a shame because I LIKE  the talent on this team I think we can compete now and we are being outcoached...Raiders coach Allen came here with a bunch of bums and darn near took us out...Unexcusable, we are sooo much better than this...We just can't seem to pick coaches first Caldwell now this guy?? We should have got a proven guy, a Cowher, Gruden, Herm Edwards, Harbaugh....not a guy who was a dc 1 year for a team that had great talent on d and great leaders for years....Now we have the MORAL obligation to stick with him cause he was sick...IDK I hope I'm wrong but we have playoff talent and can't almost lose to the Raiders and lose to the Dolphins at home...

Herm Edwards??? 58-78....proven mediocrity. The guy is best known for being a caricature of himself on espn.

...allowing all these dramaqueens to remain on the Colts.com forums.

I was waiting for this one...smh..wouldn't let me go back and fix...Bet your proud of yourself:) Just because I'm not afraid to state the OBVIOUS and don't blindly support everything we do as a franchise makes me a drama queen I guess...

Grigs never signed anyone that will set us back cap wise. We front loaded all the contracts so if they don't pan out we can walk away after this year.

Oh I wasn't suggesting that to be the case.  I agree with you and think that this offseason was a good one.  Picked up low risk/high reward players that we can walk away from after one year.  I was just making the point that, if Grigs does sign a player long term that turns out to be overpaid, it would warrant criticism.  So far, there's not much to assign.  He knew the players he was taking gambles on and it is reflected in the types of deals he signed them to.

Just curious....what do you think of Satele and McGlynn's talent level and performance?

Not impressed, but the line as a whole hasn't been as bad as people say, predictable playcalling has a lot to do with it...I think Costanzo and Cherilous are solid and Thornton is gonna be great...If Holmes gets healthy and pans out it's much better than last year...Losing Thomas hurts...

I know we had a moral obligation to allow Pagano to come back and coach this year, but I feel we let a GREAT GREAT coach in Arians walk and keeping Pagano...Just look how the Steelers have went downhill without him at OC...I am beyond frustrated watching the first 2 games and the terrible decisions and playcalling on both sides of the ball...We are coaching horribly conservatively and this comes from the top!!! We r running 2 te, fb sets instead of 3 wides and it's so predictable any easy to defend...Pagano is coaching us like we are the old Ravens when we don't have old Ravens personnel??? We need to play a style more like the Falcons, but we are calling plays like we are the old Ravens or Cleveland Browns or something...It is obvious to me how much more talented we were than the Dolphins or Raiders and neither game should have been close....It has to go on the coach....Beyond frustrated so far this season...

worst*

that, along with about a million other reasons is why you would never have a chance to make that mistake

I forgot more about football than you will ever know...Not talking fantasy football either which is probably as close to playing as you have been....

I know we had a moral obligation to allow Pagano to come back and coach this year, but I feel we let a GREAT GREAT coach in Arians walk and keeping Pagano...Just look how the Steelers have went downhill without him at OC...I am beyond frustrated watching the first 2 games and the terrible decisions and playcalling on both sides of the ball...We are coaching horribly conservatively and this comes from the top!!! We r running 2 te, fb sets instead of 3 wides and it's so predictable any easy to defend...Pagano is coaching us like we are the old Ravens when we don't have old Ravens personnel??? We need to play a style more like the Falcons, but we are calling plays like we are the old Ravens or Cleveland Browns or something...It is obvious to me how much more talented we were than the Dolphins or Raiders and neither game should have been close....It has to go on the coach....Beyond frustrated so far this season...

I too liked Arians a lot. Loved him in Pitt and thought he coached a miracle season last year when he was unexpectedly handed the HC job early in the season. I have always believed that if something is not broke, don't try to fix it. Arians did a masterfully job with Luck and the team and won COY. I think what is tough is that he got the HC offer. I think the Colts would have retained him as OC if they could have. At least that is what mgmt said.

Pagano does seem conservative and Luck is not as explosive but yet Colts were in both games. Miami is a very good so playing them close is not a diaster by any means but I agree that they Colts probably should have won.

The other thing working against Pagano is the schedule. The next few weeks are brutal.

He's baaaaack

Same old Colts. 18 never could get a complete team, watch 12 prob won't either. And hate to sound pessimistic but I wanted Gruden. Dude is young with a ring. And people listen when he talks. Combine what he did winning w/ Gannon & Garcia, Gruden was a slam dunk to be here 10 years with Luck.

However, that's not our reality. I will root for the Colts & Pagano obviously to succeed, but I do agree with the OP & wanted to share my 2 cents.

While I am not losing faith in Pagano at this point, I do agree that we are way too conservative in our play calling. I thought the same thing in the first part of last year, prior to Pagano's illness. We are packing it in quite a bit and making it somewhat easier to blitz on passing plays. The play action pass has not really worked for us as well as it should. If we are going to continue this, I would like to see more quick strikes similar to what the Raiders hurt us with. 

I think Arians was a lot more willing to take chances. I believe he did this because he realized it was what had to be done in order to stay in the games (given our lack of talent and cohesion). A lot of the offensive skill position were young players......he didn't really have anything to lose by doing so. 

By using more 3 wide sets, I think it will force more man coverage situations when the defense wants to blitz.......thus, allowing our play makers to make plays. 

Just my two cents. Frankly, I think we are a little conservative on Defense as well. I am not sure if it is because we are trying to hide deficiencies or what. Would like to see things open up some on both sides of the ball. I do think we are running it well. Just need to spread the offense out more to give Luck a better chance at making some plays.

JMO.

I too liked Arians a lot. Loved him in Pitt and thought he coached a miracle season last year when he was unexpectedly handed the HC job early in the season. I have always believed that if something is not broke, don't try to fix it. Arians did a masterfully job with Luck and the team and won COY. I think what is tough is that he got the HC offer. I think the Colts would have retained him as OC if they could have. At least that is what mgmt said.

Pagano does seem conservative and Luck is not as explosive but yet Colts were in both games. Miami is a very good so playing them close is not a diaster by any means but I agree that they Colts probably should have won.

The other thing working against Pagano is the schedule. The next few weeks are brutal.

Coaching is so important...Patriots r winning right now with CFL level players at skill positions on offense, and Colts are young and explosive but are calling plays like Blaine Gabbert is our QB....Can't play scared and not to lose which is exactly what the Colts are doing right now...

Coaching is so important...Patriots r winning right now with CFL level players at skill positions on offense, and Colts are young and explosive but are calling plays like Blaine Gabbert is our QB....Can't play scared and not to lose which is exactly what the Colts are doing right now...

Do you think they are doing it to keep Andrew upright and healthy?

What??? :facepalm:  When you play games close to the vest and are in constant dogfights ANY mistake that is made can cost you. I can point to a number of things that contributed to the loss. I like Chuck the person and as former dc with the Ravens but the jury is still out on Chuck as the hc because most former dcs tend to be conservative to a fault running the show.

Any mistake can cost you but this was something that was a game changer, it was a touchdown. It could have been prevented because it's something that Wayne caused HIMSELF. Maybe part of it was on Andrew for not waiting for Wayne to line up. There was no "dogfight" there, just stupid error on their part which caused the TD to get reversed and eventually losing.

EXACTLY! Each of our RB's are averaging over 4 ypc so I don't get all the "we can't run the ball" nonsense. Yes, some of the running plays were stopped for little or no gain but that happens for every team, even the 49ers.

People claim to see and know everything, but they just don't get it.

Arians offense would have evolved here and it worked pretty good in Pitt....It's beyond that though, he has a Charisma about him and confidence that the great coaches have...Pagano is very likable and I like him, but I don't think thats necessarily whats needed...I don't want a coach u like and feel sorry for I want a coach that leads and has a swagger about him where he always thinks he is going to win...We were more talented than the Raiders or Dolphins by a long way by what I say we were just poorly managed...We should be running an uptempo offense with the weapons we have...2 runs and 3rd and 6 or worse 3 runs and punt is pathetic and we do it way too often....

You're still talking?

Do you think they are doing it to keep Andrew upright and healthy?

Only thing I can think of?? We can still incorporate 2 step drops and quick passes to aleviate that much like Brady does....The problem is when we are gonna run it obvious and the same when we pass....I'm just not buying having the fb and 2 te sets at all...TY Hilton should always be on the field...The o-line has improved a lot in my opinion but if everyone knows what your gonna do it makes it a lot more difficult to do your job...Same on D too...Very predictable and to be honest we still are much better when we play a 4-3 but only do it occasionally despite it being more effective...I say you go with what works and coach to your talent not try and make yourself something you're not...