Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Worse offseason move was keeping Pagano and letting Arians walk....

jshipp23

I know we had a moral obligation to allow Pagano to come back and coach this year, but I feel we let a GREAT GREAT coach in Arians walk and keeping Pagano...Just look how the Steelers have went downhill without him at OC...I am beyond frustrated watching the first 2 games and the terrible decisions and playcalling on both sides of the ball...We are coaching horribly conservatively and this comes from the top!!! We r running 2 te, fb sets instead of 3 wides and it's so predictable any easy to defend...Pagano is coaching us like we are the old Ravens when we don't have old Ravens personnel??? We need to play a style more like the Falcons, but we are calling plays like we are the old Ravens or Cleveland Browns or something...It is obvious to me how much more talented we were than the Dolphins or Raiders and neither game should have been close....It has to go on the coach....Beyond frustrated so far this season...

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last season many fans wanted Bruce Arians gone. Also, BA made some questionable head coaching decisions. He was pretty bad with his timeouts as I recall. I think it is easy to have overreactions after one game. We passed a lot yesterday. I am not sure if I would really label the offense conservative in light of that. I would say that Pagano (or Pep) seems to become too conservative when playing with a lead. The play-calling changed when we were up 20-17 yesterday. Also, on the 4th-and-1 on Vinny's missed field goal-- I feel that was definitely a situation where Pagano was too conservative. You've got to believe your team can pick up 1 yard. Getting 1 yard is much easier than hitting a 52 yard field goal.

I get your frustration...I do. But Arians was "let go/retired" in Pittsburgh because his offense was getting Ben killed. In his system the offensive line has to be a fortress, and for years it was pretty good. Then they got old, and hurt, and Pittsburgh suffered because of it. And we all saw last year how Arians' system works with a bad OL. Luck was the most hit QB in the NFL. It's b/c of Luck's ability to extend plays and throw with defenders draped on him that we weren't worse offensively. Did you not read the numerous threads about how Arians wouldn't adjust bc of the poor O-line, he was going to get Luck killed, etc.? I will always give him praise for how he handled the Pagano situation. But his aerial attack didn't fit with our terrible line. That, and he got a HC offer. He was too old to say no to that. So we didn't "let him walk"...he took an NFL HEAD COACHING JOB! Pagano has now coached 7, yes 7 games as the actual head coach. And that's over a year. Not every week where he could get into a flow (had that little cancer thing to deal with)..he coached 3 games last year, got sick, got better and coached the last two last season. And he has coached 2 this season...for a total of 7 games in a year. I'd say we give him a little bit more time, you think???

Your post probably won't go over real well but i do think it is something to watch.  The story with Pagano was great, but we really did not have a great feel for what type of HC he really is last year.  To this point i'm still not sure what kind of a HC he can be.  We will just have to wait and see.  I do know that Arian's was able to get a bunch of guys with not a ton of overall talent to go on a playoff run.  They seemed to love playing for him too.    A lot of people did not care for his offense.  I liked it, and i was very disappointed when he was lured away by the Cards.

TY would've knocked that int down. Reggie reminded me of TO on that play. When TO got old he just watched ints just like that. Didnt react to

the ball

Pagano is conservative, and it annoys me. But I can only imagine the PR hit The Colts would've took of they made BA HC. I dont think you can even fire Pagano for a few yrs. You just have to hope he has good coordinators that have freedom to do what they want. Like John Fox in Denver.

First two games look just like all the games last year.  They need to play 60 minute football instead of staying close and trying to make it up the last 5.  It has worked every time except yesterday and the first Jax game last year but obviously wont forever.

This was a really dumb thread though. 

We are so conservative it's sickening and predictable I know exactly what we are gonna do every play!!!! Run on first down way too much and the sets we use make it obvious when we are going to run!!! The line hasn't looked bad it's just the defense knows exactly what we are doing....

Last season many fans wanted Bruce Arians gone. Also, BA made some questionable head coaching decisions. He was pretty bad with his timeouts as I recall. I think it is easy to have overreactions after one game. We passed a lot yesterday. I am not sure if I would really label the offense conservative in light of that. I would say that Pagano (or Pep) seems to become too conservative when playing with a lead. The play-calling changed when we were up 20-17 yesterday. Also, on the 4th-and-1 on Vinny's missed field goal-- I feel that was definitely a situation where Pagano was too conservative. You've got to believe your team can pick up 1 yard. Getting 1 yard is much easier than hitting a 52 yard field goal.

Agreed about Arians...but the FG, no. It was early in the game, first quarter. It was the right call. Get (attempt to get at least) the points. Had he made that same call later in the game I'd be mad. But AV is still good from that range. Didn't he have a 53 yarder in the preseason? He was 4-7 from 50+ last year, so it's not like he can't still make those kicks. I think it was the right call, but that's just me. At the time in the game

We lost to the Dolphins because of Reggie Wayne, ultimately. He is a veteran and he should know what he needs to do to be in play. It sucks but chalk it up to picky refs to notice that call. I think Pagano is fine.

What??? :facepalm:  When you play games close to the vest and are in constant dogfights ANY mistake that is made can cost you. I can point to a number of things that contributed to the loss. I like Chuck the person and as former dc with the Ravens but the jury is still out on Chuck as the hc because most former dcs tend to be conservative to a fault running the show.

i think people are missing the big picture.  We want to win super bowls.  To me, there is not much difference between going 4-12 and 10-6 and 1 and done in the playoffs.  We do not have our entire personnel to run the offense or defense we are running perfectly.  We do have some pieces in place though (Luck, Hilton, Allen, Fleener, Cherilous, Thornton, V Davis, Landry, Werner).  The pieces in place will benefit more from us running the D and O the way we plan to in another year or 2 when we have a better OLine, DLine, WR, and LB.  

We are building the monster.  I have come to realization that the monster is not built yet and suggest you do the same. 

I am not feeling this.  Calling for the return of Bruce Arians?  It seems to me most fans wanted him gone, including me.  His offense was attacking but getting Luck killed.  I think we need some perspective on the season:

1) We are 1-1, just like last year at this time.

2) The Dolphins are a better team than they were last year.

Pep Hamilton in the long run will be fine.  But we can't win every game.   I am a little frustrated with the lulls in offense but I am sure that will be fixed.

We are so conservative it's sickening and predictable I know exactly what we are gonna do every play!!!! Run on first down way too much and the sets we use make it obvious when we are going to run!!! The line hasn't looked bad it's just the defense knows exactly what we are doing....

And they weren't stopping it! We were getting good YPC, ended up with 4.3 or so, which is pretty good. Bradshaw was getting good yardage. The problem was (like in Oakland game) Luck and the offense couldn't deal with the extra pressure when they brought more than 4 guys. THAT needs to be fixed. But I'm done debating with the likes of you, who can't be rational

Agreed about Arians...but the FG, no. It was early in the game, first quarter. It was the right call. Get (attempt to get at least) the points. Had he made that same call later in the game I'd be mad. But AV is still good from that range. Didn't he have a 53 yarder in the preseason? He was 4-7 from 50+ last year, so it's not like he can't still make those kicks. I think it was the right call, but that's just me. At the time in the game

Had it been sub-50 yard field goal or if it was 4th-and-10 then I would agree. But a 52 yarder is not a sure thing-- and only 1 yard was needed to move the chains. I am not saying AV can't hit it from there, but when it is between roughly a 50% chance at 3 points or trying to go a single yard to get a 1st down I go with the second option every time. I do understand where you are coming from-- but I think that is a situation where you go for the 1st down.

And they weren't stopping it! We were getting good YPC, ended up with 4.3 or so, which is pretty good. Bradshaw was getting good yardage. The problem was (like in Oakland game) Luck and the offense couldn't deal with the extra pressure when they brought more than 4 guys. THAT needs to be fixed. But I'm done debating with the likes of you, who can't be rational

EXACTLY!  Each of our RB's are averaging over 4 ypc so I don't get all the "we can't run the ball" nonsense.  Yes, some of the running plays were stopped for little or no gain but that happens for every team, even the 49ers.   

Arians offense would have evolved here and it worked pretty good in Pitt....It's beyond that though, he has a Charisma about him and confidence that the great coaches have...Pagano is very likable and I like him, but I don't think thats necessarily whats needed...I don't want a coach u like and feel sorry for I want a coach that leads and has a swagger about him where he always thinks he is going to win...We were more talented than the Raiders or Dolphins by a long way by what I say we were just poorly managed...We should be running an uptempo offense with the weapons we have...2 runs and 3rd and 6 or worse 3 runs and punt is pathetic and we do it way too often....

I will say that Arians brought a positive energy and a sense of belief that seems to currently be lacking.  It feels like it did early last season before he took over.  I highly doubt, if you were moving the ball well, that Arians would have attempted a 52 yard FG on the opening drive of a scoreless game.

As for Pep, 80% of the time his play calling is good.  They are moving the ball well.  However, in the red zone, at critical junctures, at the end of halves and games, his play calling leaves me scratching my head.  Hopefully, it improves. 

Sigh...we sound like NY fans when we lose.  We can put blame on the coach for certain calls, that's fair.  But saying that keeping Pagano was the worst offseason move just takes the criticism to an irrational level.

We started out 1-1 last year and look at where we are this year.  Is it somehow that much worse than last year because we weren't expecting to win but 4 or 5 games?  We're in the second year of rebuilding and we replaced almost as many positions as we did before the 2012 season.  It's going to take time.  And this year having one of the most difficult schedules, while great for experience, won't do much for us as far as getting out playoff hopes up.   

Arians offense would have evolved here and it worked pretty good in Pitt....It's beyond that though, he has a Charisma about him and confidence that the great coaches have...Pagano is very likable and I like him, but I don't think thats necessarily whats needed...I don't want a coach u like and feel sorry for I want a coach that leads and has a swagger about him where he always thinks he is going to win...We were more talented than the Raiders or Dolphins by a long way by what I say we were just poorly managed...We should be running an uptempo offense with the weapons we have...2 runs and 3rd and 6 or worse 3 runs and punt is pathetic and we do it way too often....

Swagger? Really? Belichick, McCarthy, John Harbaugh, Tom Coughlin....man, they have all kinds of swagger.

And if the Colts are more talented than the Dolphins, it's not by a wide margin.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, September 17, 2013 - personal shots
Hidden by Nadine, September 17, 2013 - personal shots

I will say that Arians brought a positive energy and a sense of belief that seems to currently be lacking.  It feels like it did early last season before he took over.  I highly doubt, if you were moving the ball well, that Arians would have attempted a 52 yard FG on the opening drive of a scoreless game.

As for Pep, 80% of the time his play calling is good.  They are moving the ball well.  However, in the red zone, at critical junctures, at the end of halves and games, his play calling leaves me scratching my head.  Hopefully, it improves.

Let me guess.....when a play isn't successful you scratch your head, and when a play is successful you don't scratch your head. Armchair coaching is super awesome.

We had issues in the red zone last year too.  That's where the run game needs to be utilized the most as passing becomes exponentially more difficult the closer you get to the end zone.

Do you not think that some of the blame could be put on the players for lack of execution?

Both Reggie and Luck admitted such in interviews.

To me the tone of the game was set with the ease that Miami scored their first two TD's

I don't know if that was play calling, seemed to me there were some bad plays by some of the players.

The ball that was intercepted never should have been thrown, and Luck admitted that too.

Reggie was never open on that play and the ball was underthrown.

It was a force on his part and really not the fault of play calling, he said other options were there but he wanted Reggie.

It's too early to jump ship!!! The team is rebuilding and we may be in for some disappointments before it is done.

Personally I like the direction the offense is going, and in the long run a balanced attack is going to benefit Luck and the team.

Yeah Right start firing people, the rebuild is a failure one season and two games into the process. OKAY????

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, September 17, 2013 - personal shots
Hidden by Nadine, September 17, 2013 - personal shots

Let me guess.....when a play isn't successful you scratch your head, and when a play is successful you don't scratch your head. Armchair coaching is super awesome.

Says the sarcastic armchair poster who rarely provides a post of any substance. 

I liked BA, and sad/happy for him when his opportunity came.  I stopped reading...  Pagano is fine. Pep is still converting the O and we're in growing pains.  I'm ticked at the Run D!  I can find an excuse and buy time for about anything about our team except that. :(

I still can't understand why Chapman isn't starting??? Boggles my mind he is the only guy who consistent pushes the pocket we have and he hardly gets in??? Also, we need to play more bump and run and press coverage our cb's are giving away way too much of a cushion...It's all frustrating and with the exception of Freeman the LB's have been terrible in coverage...