Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Keys to beating Dolphins.

Stephen

? Little runs a 4.4, Bess runs a 4.5, Benjamin runs a 4.3. Even if Grimes/Patterson are beaten deep Jones and Clemons will be waiting. Patterson vs DHB and Carroll vs Hilton will be interesting nonetheless. 

I don't think this is the type of game you'd expect to have that much success through the air, especially if your O-Line is having the troubles that I've heard about. The Dolphins D-Line had 6 sacks against one of the better O-Lines in the Browns.... CB's are suspect? Maybe our slot CB's because there is no establishment there, rookies injured, but Grimes and Patterson (tied for 1st in INTs) as our boundary CB's are good. I also don't see the defense giving up 27 points. 

Bey runs a 4.2, Hilton a 4.3, and Wayne doesn't matter, he always gets open somehow.  I think we'll hit these guys on short patterns to try and beat your formidable rush.  

Waiting for longer patterns to develop would be doing Wake way too big a favor, no way we keep him blocked even with help.  

Short passes and a commitment to the running game would be my expectation.

I think we'll keep your running game in check, but our pass rush is still a question mark.  If Tannenhill gets time he could have a good day.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fin fan here.. 

I would not worry about Tannehills mobility as much as you guys seem to be doing... For some reason(dont ask why), we do not seem to move the pocket or roll him out as much as we should given our Oline and his athleticism. 

I believe this could be a tight game, going either way. If we can run the ball even a little bit, we will be better than last week as i feel that clevelands D is a bit better than yours (be nice)

Our defense looked awesome...against Weeden. We look FAST and got to him with ease. Luck is more mobile and simply better than Weeden, and can beat us with his legs and arm. 

Dimitri Patterson (2 int last week) left the game early and has not practiced yet this week, which concerns me. Grimes will play well at CB1, but we could get burnt at CB2 if Carroll is starting. If i were Indy, i would take shots deep to TY or DHB. 

Use Fleener, we seem to get beat more often than not by opposing TE's, and you have two good ones. 

As far as Miami, look for them to try to get Wallace the ball more, who only had 1 grab for 15 against CLE. Hartline and Tanne have great chemistry, and Gibson has been playing well inside. 

How is your D at getting pressure without a blitz? It seems that RT likes throwing vs a blitz and can get the ball out. If you can pressure him and drop 6-7 in coverage consistantly, you should generate an INT or two. 

Thanks for dropping by and good luck Sunday! Should be a great game.

1) Seems like you guys use Tannehill in a similar way to how we use Luck in the sense that, although he can run, they usually try to avoid doing much of it. The main reason I'm concerned is that now that we've shown vulnerability to a mobile QB, I'm figuring that your coaches will adjust to try and capitalize on that until we show we can stop it.

2) No offense taken about the Cleveland D- that's a talented, underrated squad with a great DC calling the shots. They're going to be trouble for a lot of teams that try to run on them.

3) O-line and offensive pace is a concern for us- we will try to be balanced, but I hope we can pass a little more than last week. How we handle the pass rush will go a long way in determining that. If we can protect Luck, I think our passing attack will do some damage.

4) As for our own pass rush, we're still working at getting consistent pressure. Our secondary can force turnovers and cover if we bring blitzers, but like any secondary, they can only cover for so long. If Tannehill buys time, Hartline will probably find a way to get open. I expect to see a few QB runs right up the gut to try and neutralize the edge rush from our OLB's and put pressure on our ILB's, who aren't great athletes.

we are going to have trouble qwith their speed package...i mean if we hjad trouble diagnosing oak blitzes(i dont think the OL was THAT bad is just that so many guys were unaccounted for)..they bring 6 guys all ready to blitz and more than capable of dropping back so its going to be a guessing game.

cameron wake, oliver vernon, dion jordan, phillip wheeler, ellerbee all can blitz or drop...and add starks-odrick combo and not sure how will mcglynn and satelle will handle....and im not really confident on castonzo vs wake. I guess more short passing and screens...

also, their TE coverage is suspect we should test them...hopefully flener and allen have a big game.

Nice thread guys.  Figured I would say hello.

This defense is not the same defense the Colts faced last year.  We replaced 2/3rd's of LB's from coverage type backers to blitzing LB's.  We brought in more ballhawking CB's and for the first time since 2002 or so we are starting the same pair of safeties which means finally some consistency back there.  This isn't the Dolphins defense of old that tried to rush 4 only.  Miami beat up on Cleveland's solid tackles and took advantage of a weakeness at RG for 6 sacks and numerous hurries and knockdowns.  I actually felt sorry for Weeden because he was beaten to the very core of his soul.  First time I've ever felt pity for an opposing teams QB.

Something to look for in passing downs is Miami's speed package.

Dolphins players love what Coyle calls the “speed” package featuring three defensive ends (Cam Wake, Vernon, Dion Jordan) plus linebacker Koa Misi, with all of them able to rush or drop into coverage. Vernon said he could see the confusion “in the eyes” of Cleveland players when Miami unleashed that package on some third downs.

It looks like this:

BT2hd91IAAAVlZt.jpg

At CB we swapped out Sean "No Hands" Smith for Brent Grimes whose been absolutely fantastic for us.  Patterson may or may not play at the #2 CB spot (2 INT's in opener), but strangely I've found that Nolan Carroll has grown some so it might not be a total disaster if he starts (1 INT in opener).  We also get back our 3rd round pick CB Will Davis this week which helps with depth.  Guy is a ballhawk but he's raw and can be fooled by double moves and bite heavily on play action.

Because Miami's defense is much more aggressive then in the past they have a glaring weakness.  TE's.   Luck should make frequent use of his TE's and they can put up big numbers easily.

Also Miami's weakness is shared with the Colts.  We both have poor OL's.  Cleveland's strength is it's DL and it manhandled our OL all day long.  How are your DT's?  This will be a key to slowing down Miami's run game and our RG can be pressured in pass protection.  Also, lining up Freeney over Martin would be a field day for Freeney as he will eat him alive.

Key player to stop on Miami's offense.  Brian Hartline.  Teams are so afraid of Mike Wallace that they are giving Hartline single coverage.  He has deceptive speed (4.5) due to his excellent route running abilities and very strong hands.  To me you clamp down on Hartline over Wallace and you'll have a better day as Tannehill/Wallace aren't in sync yet where as Hartline is Tanny's safety valve.  Also, keep an eye out on 3rd down for Gibson.  He's a big, strong target working in the slot.  Prone to the occassional drop but he can keep drives alive.

I'd also watch to see if Miami doesn't open up it's playbook more.  They kept Tanny in the pocket all game long.  No rollouts, only a couple fake efforts at the read option which they did run at times last year very successfuly and only used a couple screens.  I have to think they will be more creative this game after the glaring OL issues from game one (although the OL did get much better in the 2nd half at pass protection once they figured out the Browns confusing schemes).

Anyways I look forward to this game.  Year 2 for our young QB's.  Lets hope no matter what happens...both teams exit healthy.

Miami blitzed on 26 drop backs, most in week 1.

That's what we will be focused on in practice this week, blitz recognition and blitz pick up

I saw that stat. But that was to dial up pressured mistakes from Weeden, and because of Browns O line.  I think they will try to get similar pressure from just 4 DL, because Luck is better than Weeden as a passer and under pressure, and they need/want that extra cover defender.  Though many complained, Luck is actually pretty decent when blitzed; especially for his experience in the league thus far. He will get better too with successful experience at it.  So he needs to be ready if our O line is fair enough to let get his passes off. We need to contain their run game, like Browns did.  Tannehill will make plays, but not enough if they are one dimensional.

We need to protect the ball, and limit penalties.  It won't be easy, but we can win this.  I hope 12th man shows up loudly. :)

? Little runs a 4.4, Bess runs a 4.5, Benjamin runs a 4.3. Even if Grimes/Patterson are beaten deep Jones and Clemons will be waiting. Patterson vs DHB and Carroll vs Hilton will be interesting nonetheless. 

I don't think this is the type of game you'd expect to have that much success through the air, especially if your O-Line is having the troubles that I've heard about. The Dolphins D-Line had 6 sacks against one of the better O-Lines in the Browns.... CB's are suspect? Maybe our slot CB's because there is no establishment there, rookies injured, but Grimes and Patterson (tied for 1st in INTs) as our boundary CB's are good. I also don't see the defense giving up 27 points. 

You can't compare Little,Bess,and Benjamin to our WR's it's not even close. Our WR's are much faster sub 4.3 and better at getting open. The Browns were also without their best WR in Josh Gordon and Mingo and if both have played i think they would have beat the Dolphins.  Patterson is tied for 1st in INT's  because he was playing against Weedon and the Browns might have the worst WR core in the league. Grimes is good but if he's on Wayne he's gonna give up 7+ catches because he's that good. We also have 2 TE's that will cause problems for the Dolphins secondary. You guys have a good d-line but it won't matter if your CB's can't cover our play makers. With the lack luster performance against the Raiders were gonna be focused even more this week, i don't see us scoring anything less then 27 points.

Also Miami's weakness is shared with the Colts.  We both have poor OL's.  Cleveland's strength is it's DL and it manhandled our OL all day long.  How are your DT's?  This will be a key to slowing down Miami's run game and our RG can be pressured in pass protection.  Also, lining up Freeney over Martin would be a field day for Freeney as he will eat him alive.

Freeney is in San Diego, chief. 

Nice thread guys.  Figured I would say hello.

This defense is not the same defense the Colts faced last year.  We replaced 2/3rd's of LB's from coverage type backers to blitzing LB's.  We brought in more ballhawking CB's and for the first time since 2002 or so we are starting the same pair of safeties which means finally some consistency back there.  This isn't the Dolphins defense of old that tried to rush 4 only.  Miami beat up on Cleveland's solid tackles and took advantage of a weakeness at RG for 6 sacks and numerous hurries and knockdowns.  I actually felt sorry for Weeden because he was beaten to the very core of his soul.  First time I've ever felt pity for an opposing teams QB.

Something to look for in passing downs is Miami's speed package.

It looks like this:

BT2hd91IAAAVlZt.jpg

At CB we swapped out Sean "No Hands" Smith for Brent Grimes whose been absolutely fantastic for us.  Patterson may or may not play at the #2 CB spot (2 INT's in opener), but strangely I've found that Nolan Carroll has grown some so it might not be a total disaster if he starts (1 INT in opener).  We also get back our 3rd round pick CB Will Davis this week which helps with depth.  Guy is a ballhawk but he's raw and can be fooled by double moves and bite heavily on play action.

Because Miami's defense is much more aggressive then in the past they have a glaring weakness.  TE's.   Luck should make frequent use of his TE's and they can put up big numbers easily.

Key player to stop on Miami's offense.  Brian Hartline.  Teams are so afraid of Mike Wallace that they are giving Hartline single coverage.  He has deceptive speed (4.5) due to his excellent route running abilities and very strong hands.  To me you clamp down on Hartline over Wallace and you'll have a better day as Tannehill/Wallace aren't in sync yet where as Hartline is Tanny's safety valve.  Also, keep an eye out on 3rd down for Gibson.  He's a big, strong target working in the slot.  Prone to the occassional drop but he can keep drives alive.

I'd also watch to see if Miami doesn't open up it's playbook more.  They kept Tanny in the pocket all game long.  No rollouts, only a couple fake efforts at the read option which they did run at times last year very successfuly and only used a couple screens.  I have to think they will be more creative this game after the glaring OL issues from game one (although the OL did get much better in the 2nd half at pass protection once they figured out the Browns confusing schemes).

Anyways I look forward to this game.  Year 2 for our young QB's.  Lets hope no matter what happens...both teams exit healthy.

i posted something similar above...i worri about the speed package the dolphins have.  I also think we can exploit, for the same reason, your TE coverage. Asumming Allen is healthy not sure how, even tough those players can drop back, you will handle our TE i think we should exploit that weakness the moment dolphins employ their speed package.

also freeney is in SD...and despite what people said here before, he is actually making plays for a 3-4 with chuck's brother..

also freeney is in SD...and despite what people said here before, he is actually making plays for a 3-4 with chuck's brother..

Yeah, I find it very funny and ironic that Freeny and Nevis were two guys that "everyone" said didn't fit our defense, yet they were both picked up by a 3-4 team. :)

Offensive keys to victory:

Set up the run early: ballard and bradshaw are capable of doing this, and it could mean that the PA will open up for luck as rushers like wake and jordan may have to think twice.

Throw the deep ball more: we need to test the CBs especially with DHB and TY, which I don't think we did enough with againt oakland.

Keys on defense:

Play more off man/cover 2: if davis and toler can jam the WRs for a second and have bethea and landry in cover 2, it would mean the dolphins will have less chance of burning us down the field.

Send a lots of different blitz packages: so perhaps have someone like werner at the sanp coming In between the chapman and redding where hopefully the guard/ tackle will be unsure who to block.

i posted something similar above...i worri about the speed package the dolphins have. I also think we can exploit, for the same reason, your TE coverage. Asumming Allen is healthy not sure how, even tough those players can drop back, you will handle our TE i think we should exploit that weakness the moment dolphins employ their speed package.

What plays did he make? Didn't he have like zero tackles with half a sack?

You can't compare Little,Bess,and Benjamin to our WR's it's not even close. Our WR's are much faster sub 4.3 and better at getting open. The Browns were also without their best WR in Josh Gordon and Mingo and if both have played i think they would have beat the Dolphins.  Patterson is tied for 1st in INT's  because he was playing against Weedon and the Browns might have the worst WR core in the league. Grimes is good but if he's on Wayne he's gonna give up 7+ catches because he's that good. We also have 2 TE's that will cause problems for the Dolphins secondary. You guys have a good d-line but it won't matter if your CB's can't cover our play makers. With the lack luster performance against the Raiders were gonna be focused even more this week, i don't see us scoring anything less then 27 points.

Hilton and DHB run 4.3's, the rest run 4.4+. If Gordon would have played it would've probably been closer but our defense controlled that game for the most part. Mingo would have had the same effect Jordan did, coming in on 3rd downs so he wouldn't have made that much of a difference. Patterson made good INT's off of missed opportunities, not so much because of Weeden. Not saying that Wayne isn't good, huge UM fan, just acknowledging that Grimes isn't a pushover at all. Is Allen going to play? Someone's cocky huh? I am too. Raiders secondary<<<Dolphins secondary just in case you didn't know. I usually boast after games, I'll keep it cordial now though BUT I still don't see your team putting up 27+. 

I mean that's nice, but not exactly making plays in my book.

maybe you're just reading the cliffs notes.   there are different levels of "making plays".  examples:

sacks > pressures > getting blocked and not affecting the QB at all

interceptions > pass deflections > allowing a catch but making a tackle > allowing a catch and not making the tackle

I would absolutely rather my DL get pressures on the QB rather than getting blocked and not affecting the play at all.

hmm, our books were definitely written by different authors. there are different levels of "making plays". examples:

sacks > pressures > getting blocked and not affecting the QB at all

interceptions > pass deflections > allowing a catch but making a tackle > allowing a catch and not making the tackle

I would absolutely rather my DL get pressures on the QB rather than getting blocked and not affecting the play at all.

I would rather them get pressure and get the QB like Wake did lol.

If my choice is no effect vs pressures then of course I'd take pressures, but that's not saying much in the scheme of things.

Pressure with no tackles period isn't solving much, but again that's just my opinion.

If Freeney was still here with that stat line people would be mental about it.

What do you all think of Tannehill's deep ball? If V.Davis can play Mike Wallace 1-on-1, do you think we can take the underneath stuff away?

Does he throw better rolling out than throwing within the pocket?

I'd throw those WR and RB screens at them consistently along with draw plays to slow down their speed package, IMO.

WR screens like Arians used to throw for Antonio Brown, or Peyton now throws to DT. Misdirection screens like Norv Turner and Sean Payton use for Sproles, also like the one that got Ballard to score the winning TD last year vs the Titans. :)

I saw that stat. But that was to dial up pressured mistakes from Weeden, and because of Browns O line.  I think they will try to get similar pressure from just 4 DL, because Luck is better than Weeden as a passer and under pressure, and they need/want that extra cover defender.  Though many complained, Luck is actually pretty decent when blitzed; especially for his experience in the league thus far. He will get better too with successful experience at it.  So he needs to be ready if our O line is fair enough to let get his passes off. We need to contain their run game, like Browns did.  Tannehill will make plays, but not enough if they are one dimensional.

We need to protect the ball, and limit penalties.  It won't be easy, but we can win this.  I hope 12th man shows up loudly. :)

That's just it.  Despite what Miami's been for the last 15 years this is truly a different defense.  Miami is no longer the team that tries to rush with just 4.  It's been the emphasis all offseason to be a more aggressive blitzing, turnover defense.  Hence why 2 of our older LB's were replaced with younger LB's who are athletic enough to crowd the line and either blitz or quickly drop back into coverage.  You will see Ellerbe/Wheeler up on the line nearly every snap.  You'll see a lot of LB and Corner blitzes.  It wasn't just because of their OL.  Remember Cleveland actually has 2 very good tackles in Joe Thomas and Mitchell Schwartz (who graded out around a +12 roughly last season).  Only 2 of the 6 sacks came from the interior.  The other 4 were against their tackles.

i posted something similar above...i worri about the speed package the dolphins have.  I also think we can exploit, for the same reason, your TE coverage. Asumming Allen is healthy not sure how, even tough those players can drop back, you will handle our TE i think we should exploit that weakness the moment dolphins employ their speed package.

Wow.  I always find it odd when a long time veteran for a team doesn't finish there.  Guess I'll be using the game to catch up with all the Colt changes ;p

Just now checking your depth chart.  Incredible how many ex Dolphins you guys have.

What do you all think of Tannehill's deep ball? If V.Davis can play Mike Wallace 1-on-1, do you think we can take the underneath stuff away?

I'd throw those WR and RB screens at them consistently along with draw plays to slow down their speed package, IMO.

WR screens like Arians used to throw for Antonio Brown, or Peyton now throws to DT. Misdirection screens like Norv Turner and Sean Payton use for Sproles, also like the one that got Ballard to score the winning TD last year vs the Titans. :)

Tannehill did very well against the blitz and they rolled him out a LOT last year where he was pretty successful.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/60300/ryan-tannehill-excels-outside-the-pocket

This is why I find it odd that Miami didn't really do much in the passing game vs Cleveland besides very quick pocket throws.  He didn't roll out, he didn't use his read option stuff outside of a couple fakes while handing off to the RB and they only ran 1 or 2 screens.  Not sure why. 

Greg Toler will be matched up with Wallace with Landry bracketing him over the top. Davis always line up on the right side, he'll be covering Hartline a guy he's familiar with with not much safety help. Bethea will be playing in the middle just watching Tannehill every move. Tannehill will be forced to throw it at Davis and  I think Davis will have a good game. Vontae will get physical with Hartline press him off the line of scrimmage, i think he'll get 2 INT's this game.

I like this.  You took some words right out of my mouth.

Hilton and DHB run 4.3's, the rest run 4.4+. If Gordon would have played it would've probably been closer but our defense controlled that game for the most part. Mingo would have had the same effect Jordan did, coming in on 3rd downs so he wouldn't have made that much of a difference. Patterson made good INT's off of missed opportunities, not so much because of Weeden. Not saying that Wayne isn't good, huge UM fan, just acknowledging that Grimes isn't a pushover at all. Is Allen going to play? Someone's cocky huh? I am too. Raiders secondary<<<Dolphins secondary just in case you didn't know. I usually boast after games, I'll keep it cordial now though BUT I still don't see your team putting up 27+.

That's fair, I don't see the Dolphins putting up 27+ either against Davis, Toler, Landry, Bethea, Robert Mathis, Freeman, Josh Chapman and the rest of our D. Might end up being a highly defensive game in all honesty.

Will see how your "Shutdown Corners" Patterson and Grimes play this week vs talent and speed at the WR position we have. If you play fantasy football and you have Hilton and DHB on your team, i suggest you start them because Luck will take some shots down field early and often.

Greg Toler will be matched up with Wallace with Landry bracketing him over the top. Davis always line up on the right side, he'll be covering Hartline a guy he's familiar with with not much safety help. Bethea will be playing in the middle just watching Tannehill every move. Tannehill will be forced to throw it at Davis and  I think Davis will have a good game. Vontae will get physical with Hartline press him off the line of scrimmage, i think he'll get 2 INT's this game.

just from a physical standpoint... i rather have toler matching Hartline and Davis with Wallace

seriously? the guy had 1 sack and 9 pass pressures ...second only to wake's 10 pressures..

He had half a sack and no tackles. Wake turned his pressures into nultiple sacks and tackles.

But I already went through this with two other posters. You coulda just scrolled up lol.

He threw 3 that I can remember. 1 which was severely underthrown to Wallace...awful pass

1 which was a bit overthrown to Wallace, but Wallace was pushed off of his route, otherwise it was catchable

and the nice double move TD throw to Hartline in the second half which he hit him in stride. His deep ball is not his strong point although he has the arm. it seems like a big reason is that he does not have much chemistry with Wallace.

As for the other post, our D will get pressure with the 4 man rush as well. Wake will get held many times but not called. (seriously, watch him a few plays when he dips his hips and turns the corner, he is almost always held)

Odrick and Starks are good at creating pressure up the middle, with Soliai being able to collapse the pocket but not get much of a rush.

Dion Jordan is still injured, and it was obvious against CLE. when he was in the game he would try to juke past Joe Thomas rather than take on half of his man and make a move. His shoulder is still not 100%.  We also like to bring a safety at times, with both having success blitzing.

It will be interesting watching what our DC Coyle does to try to get to Luck. I think he will bring the 4 man rush and see if we can get to Luck that way, with the occasional A gap blitz from Ellerbe or Wheeler. Your speed on the outside scares me, but so does your potential to throw the ball underneath to your TEs and Wayne

I think we'll do a better job of blocking this game.  In regards to the Raiders I think it's harder to plan for a teams defensive scheme when they are running a new scheme and you don't really have any live in season film to break down the type of blitzes and typical personnel the team uses to execute what they do. Not to mention we came straight out of the preseason having to adjust to all the pressure.

With the Dolphins we have a little bit more to work with in terms of game planning. Same scheme, same coordinator from last year. Some of the personnel are different, but overall it should be most of the same stuff.

just from a physical standpoint... i rather have toler matching Hartline and Davis with Wallace

I'd rather have Toler on Wallace and Davis on Hartline.  I think Toler is a bit faster than Davis.

I don't know where the physicality aspect plays in.  Neither Wallace nor Hartline are physical specimens.

I'd rather have Toler on Wallace and Davis on Hartline.  I think Toler is a bit faster than Davis.

I don't know where the physicality aspect plays in.  Neither Wallace nor Hartline are physical specimens.

i meant, brian hartline is 6-2... and maybe he can match him on fades and other stuff like backshoulders etc.. while wallace is shorter- quicker which seems ok with Davis...thats my line of tought anyways

Tannehill has a deep arm. He doesn't throw it deep much though. He probably will as he develops more chemistry with Mike Wallace. Underneath though? He's absolutely murder. Last year Hartline and Bess were his favorite targets. This year it looks to be Hartline and Gibson. And Clay the TE seems to be coming along.  The underneath game is very accurate.

And he's very, very good on the rollout. In fact last year I think he was better rolling out than in the pocket. So far this year he looks to be a very good pocket passer.  He started off the 2012 year and was very inconsistent but by the end of the year he was on a roll. And this year he's started off really well. I really think long term you aregoing to hear the names Luck and Tannehill mentioned together.