Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts waive John Boyett

TKnight24

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did stupid things as a kid, but never anything this stupid. And the fact that he is young is irrelevent. You learn at an even younger age to 1) Not to get yourself into situations like that to begin with 2) To not resist the police when and if you do get into that situation.

He's old enough to be held accountable/responsible for his own actions.

I'm 42 now and if I did anything remotely close to what this * did, I'd be fired in a heartbeat... rightfully so.

Not only that, when we did stupid things as youngsters we weren't professional athletes.

That's usually why they drop charges. None of us was there, so we don't know exactly what happened. But the report clearly said that he ran from police. 

I have worked with inner city kids and sometimes police don't always tell the story strait either. We should see how it plays out before we label people.

I did stupid things as a kid, but never anything this stupid. And the fact that he is young is irrelevent. You learn at an even younger age to 1) Not to get yourself into situations like that to begin with 2) To not resist the police when and if you do get into that situation.

He's old enough to be held accountable/responsible for his own actions.

I'm 42 now and if I did anything remotely close to what this * did, I'd be fired in a heartbeat... rightfully so.

Because you are 42!

I fully understand partying and having a good time as a collegiate athlete, the good Lord knows I did my fair share. Even at that you have to know TIME and PLACE.  But, when you start to get paid as an athlete, its time to grow up!  Have respect for the team that drafted you, the fans who will cheering for you and for all else the last name you will have have on the back of the jersey.  I guess nobody showed him what the odds are of making a NFL roster.  I'm glad Grigson made this move and I truly hope this young man has learned from his mistake.

Very true. Maybe advocating isn't the correct word. Maybe I should of worded it differently. 

dont be surprised if SOME players do or Irsay does or even Grigson, they are not immune to what fans say and wonder whats being said aout the team and them just like other people do

I'm sure they have way more important things to do. Atleast i hope they do

Obviously Irsay likes to keep in touch with fans, check out twitter, you would think just by the number of Colts on there who tweet a ton dont have much better to do. Its pretty safe to say some of them check out whats being said abou tthem on Colts affiliated sites and such, Are they like many of us and on Colts.com 24/7? Of course not but many players know whats being said about them. I'd bet 1000$ Mcglynn knows fans think he sucks

Obviously Irsay likes to keep in touch with fans, check out twitter, you would think just by the number of Colts on there who tweet a ton dont have much better to do. Its pretty safe to say some of them check out whats being said abou tthem on Colts affiliated sites and such, Are they like many of us and on Colts.com 24/7? Of course not but many players know whats being said about them. I'd bet 1000$ Mcglynn knows fans think he sucks

why didn't you ask him and link when you met them at camp?

There is definitely a right and wrong.  Breaking the law, causing a public disturbance, etc.  That's established as wrong.

But I agree that everyone deserves a second chance.  We've all done something stupid or something we regret.  (Like signing Jeff George)

wow, a Jeff George reference.  LOL.  I heard Dan Dakich talk extremely highly of him on the radio the other day and chided a caller for daring to call Jeff George out.  Dakich said that he did good things for his mother and people should leave him alone. Of course he should do good things for his mother, no matter what!  Doesn't take away from the fact that Jeff George was a cancer on every team he touched, horrible locker-room guy, and the list goes on.  His head swelled SO big in high school and college, it wouldn't have fit in the air cavity of the Hindenburg.  <<edit>> sorry I went off topic.

His first two chances were 1) Sergio Brown 2) Joe Lefeged.  He should have known putting the colts on the police blotter was gonna get you canned.  He's not a kid anymore if he can join the military or legally consume alcohol.  Hopefully he learns from his mistake but the team that already took a chance on him being injured coming out of college.  

but taking a chance on him being injured is not related to making a dumb mistake. his 2nd chance would mature him as an individual, I guarantee you other Colts players would hold him accountable and I think it would have provided a stage for contrition, and humbling him into a well-rounded person.  He will get another chance I hope, it just wont be with us.  I think he could be somewhat of a difference maker, given the right opportunity.  He does need to keep himself out of trouble  -- he needs to use taxi-cabs if he drinks, use common sense when it comes to officers of the law, and things like that. 

The act of contrition I was looking for.  Mr. Irsay, he and his family have been through enough, talk to Grigson, give him another chance.

I want to apologize to Mr. Irsay @JimIrsay , the Indianapolis Colts organization @Colts and the Indianapolis police. The Colts gave me an opportunity and I blew it. My behavior didn't and doesn't represent who I am. I am deeply embarrassed and disappointed in myself. All I can do now is learn from it and never repeat it. I look forward to showing my true character in the future.

The act of contrition I was looking for.  Mr. Irsay, he and his family have been through enough, talk to Grigson, give him another chance.

I want to apologize to Mr. Irsay @JimIrsay , the Indianapolis Colts organization @Colts and the Indianapolis police. The Colts gave me an opportunity and I blew it. My behavior didn't and doesn't represent who I am. I am deeply embarrassed and disappointed in myself. All I can do now is learn from it and never repeat it. I look forward to showing my true character in the future.

I appreciate that he took 100% blame and made no excuses..

Just because a team cuts you doesn't mean they cant resign you next season.

These people kill me..

They make a nfl roster and have the chance to be set for life and live their dream..

And throw it away so carelessly.

And we have better people bustin their butts for minimum wage..

I think your failing to take into consideration just how young these guys are.......Money cant buy maturity only time can, Placing a million dollars in a kids hands wont suddenly make them grow up, for many its a process

I have worked with inner city kids and sometimes police don't always tell the story strait either. We should see how it plays out before we label people.

I'm not labeling him, and I'm not saying that the police report is gospel. I'm the biggest "innocent until" guy around, so I get it. I'm just saying that it was reported that he fled the scene. If we're going to believe the part about him being in the car with a passenger standing up in the backseat, and the gun being under the seat, and the open containter of alcohol, I'm not sure why we're dismissing the accusation about him fleeing.

None of us were there, but it's not unrealistic to believe that he fled, and the DA just decided not to pursue that charge. JMO

I think your failing to take into consideration just how young these guys are.......Money cant buy maturity only time can, Placing a million dollars in a kids hands wont suddenly make them grow up, for many its a process

Boyett is a little older than the average NFL rookie. Yeah, people make mistakes, but at a certain point you hope that someone understands that they should stay away from trouble. It's just a complete facepalm.

I'm 26 and I know money could never change the person I become.. But I don't know the type of life these kids have had in the past..