Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton's Contract Discussion MEGA MERGE

BleedBlue4life

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow everyone was saying he could have gotten around $25M a year, but he's down to $18. He gave up 35 MILLION DOLLARS over 5 years to help the Colts. We better use that money wisely to surround Peyton with talent on both sides of the ball in his final years.

Ross Tucker is a hater.. This is what he tweeted earlier..

Not buying the "Peyton took less for teammates" spin. $23M/yr first 3 years, doubt he plays for $10.5M last 2 years, & K. Hayden got cut.

Kinda surprised actually that this wasn't more divided. shoulda been more like 20-21 mil for the first 3.

I am just wondering. Why is it that Manning has to get the biggest contract ever? I feel that if he truly wanted a wining team he would take like 5 or 6 mill a year. He has already had his big payday. I would think he would be wanting to win a couple more super bowls. So take less so we can sign players to help us win!!!!!!!

It's hardly the biggest contract ever.

And now this from Peyton Manning, which is doing the right thing -

Manning conveyed that directive Thursday during a meeting with owner Jim Irsay and vice chairman Bill Polian, who is negotiating Manning’s contract with agent Tom Condon.

“While I appreciate Jim Irsay offering to make me the highest-paid player,’’ Manning told The Indianapolis Star, “I told him I’d rather he save that money and keep whoever it is . . . Joe Addai, Charlie Johnson, whoever that may be.

“I’m willing to take less than they’ve offered if they are going to take that money to keep players we need to keep and go get other players. All I want is for them to have the cap and the cash to keep the players they want to keep and to sign other players.’’

Manning also instructed Irsay, Polian and Condon to get the contract done. Now.

“Today, tomorrow, definitely by Sunday,’’ he said.

Manning took issue with the speculation he’s asking to maximize his contract opportunity.

“The numbers that are being floated out there, the rumors of what I’m asking for … that’s not from me,’’ he said. “I’ve never said one word about the contract. I told (Irsay and Polian) them my cap numbers can be as low as they want them to be in being creative with the salary cap.’’

Seems everyone including Irsay and Manning understand the issue/times at hand.....except for you and some others here. Don't twist my points. I've clearly stated what my view is. As far as others not playing up to their contracts.....I've been a huge proponent of dumping Sanders, Hart, etc. The front office is now getting those decsions right and I couldn't be happier. I've also gone on record saying there are two players currently on the team that are overpaid. They are: Kelvin Hayden and Ryan Diem. To reiterate posts from the past, Hayden isn't going anywhere because of his guarantee/bonus pay situation but in 2012 and 2013 when he's scheduled to make elite money I believe the story will be different. My stance on Diem was that it would be interesting to see if the Colts were going to stay the course with their usual decision making or move away from that. Specifically, as long as he contributes will he have an opportunity to play out his contract & I believed that would happen but was still curious what route the team would go. As it turns out, Polian just said Diem had to reduce his salary or be cut. But even that doesn't change my opinion on the player & I'm stoked we're getting tougher on how value is viewed. In a lot of ways Diem is landmark in the new era both economically speaking and under the new Polian. I very much like the new direction in Indy.

I guess we've kind of put this to bed already, but I'll just say I don't think there's that big a difference from $18 million a year to $20 million a year, not as it pertains to our ability to pay other players.

What wound up happening is that somehow we've manipulated his cap numbers in a way to get the best of both worlds: a below average cap hit in year one (which was absolutely necessary this season), and a low cap hit toward the end of the deal, so that we're not paying a 39 year old quarterback $25 million a season. This is what I've been hoping would happen, but I didn't expect the low cap hit in year one, which is only $2 million less than the average.

You're projecting others' viewpoints on to me. I simply said that if you want the best quarterback in the NFL, you're going to have to pay him like he's the best (or one of the best). As of right now, he has the highest average salary in the league (tied with Brady), and he's a year longer than Brady. And that's fine, because with him, we're a contender, and without him, we're rebuilding.

I'm glad the deal is done, I love the structure, and I think we'll have the flexibility as the cap goes up, or else we can push money around if necessary. Would have been great if he'd signed for five years, $60 million, but that was never realistic.

Rob Parker on ESPN AFC South blog just made me mad!!! REALLY MAD.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/25853/video-will-colts-regret-manning-deal

In this video he says Colts will regret signing Manning to such a large contract due to his 'serious' neck injury and on PUP list. "flip of the coin, trying to take care of your best guy and hoping for the best. This is not a smart financial decision. You don't know what your going to get from him [Manning]. They will be a 6-10 year."

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!

This guy has no idea about Manning, 6-10? Are you crazy??? We addressed our OL issues in the draft, and Peyton is smart enough to know not to get smeared by anyone, let alone a big hit.

"He will not be healthy enough, and he will struggle. This team is on a downward spiral."

Put your money where your mouth is. Skip had it right in this video, everyone in our division would have to do a lot better than last year, only team I am slightly concerned about is the Texans. Jags and Titans have rookie QBs, and if your think Hasselbeck or Garrard can out-gun Manning, you are crazy.

SB is at home, and I think we make one heck of a push for it. Manning wants another ring, Indy wants to see us win. Heck, I'll be the first one at Lucas Oil Stadium, don't you worry.