Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton's Contract Discussion MEGA MERGE

BleedBlue4life

Hello everyone,

I have been a long time visitor to this forum, but this is my first post...

Im sure many of you, like myself, have read Bob Kravitz article about the current state of Mannings contract negotiation.

If not, here is the link http://www.indystar.com/article/20110727/SPORTS15/107270318/Bob-Kravitz-Manning-s-contract-needs-signed-Now-?odyssey=nav%7Chead

I was just wondering what your thoughts are on all of this?

Personally, I never would have guessed peyton would be the type to put his own wallet ahead of the good of the team. If peyton forces Irsay to use the franchise tag on him, he is essentially messing us over in other areas. The front office is already offering to make him the richest player in the league, what more could you ask for?

I also think it is interesting that all of this is taking place in light of Sanchez coming out and telling the jets front office he is willing to re-negotiate his deal to make cap room to improve their team.... I sure would love to see a little bit of that out of good old 18.

Plain and simple, Peyton. If were going to be a serious contender for a lombardi this season, sign the deal.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always find it funny that when players are ready for a contract fans come out of the wood work and say they should take pay cuts for the betterment of the team, but they will be the same fans that try and run that player out of town when their skill slips.

The NFL is a business first and foremost. As Peyton ages and if he slips in ability which he will the team will not be like oh Peyton for the years of service we are fine with how much you make. We did it to Marvin and we sure would do it to Peyton. The 49ers moved on from Montana and the Packers did it to Favre and they both were HOF QBs. Heck Joe is and was the best QB to play the game and the 49ers moved on to Young.

You throw in the fact that Peyton is a union guy and you are not going to see some big discount given to the Colts. Peyton is going to get paid big time. I have no problem with him not giving a big discount because I would do the same thing.

I totally understand where you are coming from,and i believe manning has earned every cent of what he is going to get, but it isn't like he would be taking a HUGE pay cut... They are already offering him a deal that makes him the highest paid player in the league. If he accepts that deal, we can still have cap room to resign some of our other veteran players, and possibly bring in a key veteran free agent suh as weddle or whitner. By turning down the deal and forcing the front office to tag him, he is using up cap space that would be VERY valuable elsewhere. Manning is a smart guy, and if he truely wants to give himself a chance to win another title or two, he should take the proposed deal.

Hello everyone,

I have been a long time visitor to this forum, but this is my first post...

Im sure many of you, like myself, have read Bob Kravitz article about the current state of Mannings contract negotiation.

If not, here is the link http://www.indystar.com/article/20110727/SPORTS15/107270318/Bob-Kravitz-Manning-s-contract-needs-signed-Now-?odyssey=nav%7Chead

I was just wondering what your thoughts are on all of this?

Personally, I never would have guessed peyton would be the type to put his own wallet ahead of the good of the team. If peyton forces Irsay to use the franchise tag on him, he is essentially messing us over in other areas. The front office is already offering to make him the richest player in the league, what more could you ask for?

I also think it is interesting that all of this is taking place in light of Sanchez coming out and telling the jets front office he is willing to re-negotiate his deal to make cap room to improve their team.... I sure would love to see a little bit of that out of good old 18.

Plain and simple, Peyton. If were going to be a serious contender for a lombardi this season, sign the deal.

First of all you can't believe everything Kravitz or any media says. They write something for the readers. He doesn't know anything that is going on behind closed doors nor does the TV stations. Secondly Peyton has re-negotiated his contract before and we don't know that something like this may be done but we will probably ever know what actually happens. Sanchez is like his coach and shouldn't be telling his comtract terms. The NFL will only let him do so much. In short I wouldn't believe everything you read in the news.

That is my take on the whole thing.

First of all you can't believe everything Kravitz or any media says. They write something for the readers. He doesn't know anything that is going on behind closed doors nor does the TV stations. Secondly Peyton has re-negotiated his contract before and we don't know that something like this may be done but we will probably ever know what actually happens. Sanchez is like his coach and shouldn't be telling his comtract terms. The NFL will only let him do so much. In short I wouldn't believe everything you read in the news.

That is my take on the whole thing.

I absolutley agree that the media is not the most reliable of sources, although i personally think Kravitz is a guy who at least trys to get his story straight. I think that there has to be some amount of truth to all this though, or manning would have inked that deal already.

The longer his deal goes without being done, the longer we can't make any other serious moves. His deal will determine what we can afford to pay anyone else. I wouldn't be surprised to see some of our UFA sign elsewhere in the next few days because they don't want to stick around here and entertain an offer of some peanuts and a pixy stick because we don't know what we can afford to offer them.

The longer his deal goes without being done, the longer we can't make any other serious moves. His deal will determine what we can afford to pay anyone else. I wouldn't be surprised to see some of our UFA sign elsewhere in the next few days because they don't want to stick around here and entertain an offer of some peanuts and a pixy stick because we don't know what we can afford to offer them.

Yes. This is exactly what im getting at. I could understand him not signing if he was getting a bum deal, but when your becoming the highest paid player in the league, you don't drag it out, especially when your team suffers as a result. Whatever happens though, #18 still has nothing but love from me.

Well I think I blame Irsay for some of this by him tweeting all the time about him saying that he was going to make Peyton the highest paid player in the NFL. Sounds like he was trying to be the big shot. He needs to stay off twitter about things like that. Also this is kind of like anything you always start higher and have a settling amount. I think it will get done sometime today. Maybe I'm just hoping but Peyton is no dummy. He can over ride his agent when ever he wants and has done so before Just my thoughts on this matter. Also Kravitz gets things blown out of porpotion many times. He has in the past so I only believe about 1/2 of what he writes.

Well I think I blame Irsay for some of this by him tweeting all the time about him saying that he was going to make Peyton the highest paid player in the NFL. Sounds like he was trying to be the big shot. He needs to stay off twitter about things like that. Also this is kind of like anything you always start higher and have a settling amount. I think it will get done sometime today. Maybe I'm just hoping but Peyton is no dummy. He can over ride his agent when ever he wants and has done so before Just my thoughts on this matter. Also Kravitz gets things blown out of porpotion many times. He has in the past so I only believe about 1/2 of what he writes.

But if you believe the various reports out there, Irsay has offered a contract that would make Manning the highest paid. It may simply be that it only pays him a bit more than Brady and doesn't make him the highest paid by a country mile.

I find it interesting that the Colts have also added this story to the official site today: http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=780c5593-9ce8-4184-9420-f1864f31197b. It appears that the PR battle is on.

How much of this is Manning himself and how much of it is Tom Condon? We'll find out. But if Manning truly is insistent on the $25 million average figure that's being thrown out there, and if that results in the team not being able to surround him with the right talent and, hence, the team suffers on the field, then I think Manning will have done irreparable harm to his reputation. Many of us have made excuses for him thus far, myself included. I have faith, though, that Manning is very cognizant of this and will take over negotiations to get this done.

Polian said there is no timetable on reaching a new contract with Manning, who would earn $23 million this season if he remains under the franchise tag. Colts owner Jim Irsay said he is committed to making Manning the highest-paid player in the NFL, but does not believe it is feasible for that amount to reach higher than $25 million a year. The hit on the salary cap would be too prohibitive, Irsay said, in the Colts' ability to surround Manning with quality teammates.

lin is right here>>>>>>My link

But if you believe the various reports out there, Irsay has offered a contract that would make Manning the highest paid. It may simply be that it only pays him a bit more than Brady and doesn't make him the highest paid by a country mile.

I find it interesting that the Colts have also added this story to the official site today: http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=780c5593-9ce8-4184-9420-f1864f31197b. It appears that the PR battle is on.

How much of this is Manning himself and how much of it is Tom Condon? We'll find out. But if Manning truly is insistent on the $25 million average figure that's being thrown out there, and if that results in the team not being able to surround him with the right talent and, hence, the team suffers on the field, then I think Manning will have done irreparable harm to his reputation. Many of us have made excuses for him thus far, myself included. I have faith, though, that Manning is very cognizant of this and will take over negotiations to get this done.

Lets not forget its not 'necessarily' Peyton that's driving the costs up. IMO it has more to do with his agent, Tom Condon that's wanting the mega deal. Peyton will sit back and let Condon do his thing considering thats what Peyton pays him 7% for. Condon wants the title of negotiating the biggest contract in the NFL... again haha. But honestly if I'm Peyton I just dont see why he doesnt take a 'cap friendly' number this year and as the cap goes back up so does his salary. I thought I read something about the new CBA they can borrow money into next year??

the link is right herethis is the link to it

towards bottom

Well there is always a asking figure and a final price. I still think something will get done and I'm not in a tizzy about it right now. The more money his agent ask for and thinks he can get the bigger paycheck he gets. Peyton still has the final say and when I see where he personally ask for that amount I take it lightly. JMO of course. :FBrolleyes:

Thanks for the link. :)

I agree Susie. I look for a deal done hopefully by the end of the week since the CBA is signed and I think that was the big hold-up.

I guess I don't get my panties in a twist as soon as others do. :FBtongue: It will get done. :banana:

Thanks for the link. :)

I agree Susie. I look for a deal done hopefully by the end of the week since the CBA is signed and I think that was the big hold-up.

Problem is until deal done we dont know our cap room so cant determine whow can sign , thus players we tageted like weddle we lost while nany teams have reached agreements with own & with free agents

Sorry but Manning is asking for 25 mil a year that is way to much i read the article and it making manning look like a greedy p*****. If i was manning i would sign the contact that best suit me and the team as fast as i can so the money can go to the rest of the team. If he does not sign the contact fast enough it proved the Kravtis is not only right but manning is freaking greedy.

Yes. This is exactly what im getting at. I could understand him not signing if he was getting a bum deal, but when your becoming the highest paid player in the league, you don't drag it out, especially when your team suffers as a result. Whatever happens though, #18 still has nothing but love from me.

You have to remember Tuesday was probably the first time Manning and Polian got to talk numbers. Manning refused to negotiate during the season and was applauded for that. Then the lock out happened so they could not talk then. You cannot expect Peyton to just sign whatever contract Polian gives him. Sure it might make him the highest paid player, but it could be severely back loaded or it could be very short and Manning wants a longer deal.

I agree they need to get this deal done because the rest of our moves in free agency depend on it.

I agree with Susie to because Irsay just made things much harder. As a GM how do you go to Peyton and say hey we want you to take them much less while your owner is babbling about making him the highest paid player ever on twitter.

I love Peyton and want to see him kept by the Colts, but where's the money going to come from to surround him with the talent he needs to win? The older he gets, the more he's going to need support. This deal has to be a win-win or everybody loses.

Yeah where else can he get that government 250 dollar hammer and 500 dollar toilet seat at.

Peyton is worth $25M a year, BUT when he gets older and looks back at what could've been ( more SB rings) he'll regret taking 25M per year.

How about 16M per year with 4.25M guaranteed over 6 years. That would make him the highest paid player and still leave room for Veteran Free Agents to be signed that will help him win SuperBowls.

Peyton is worth $25M a year, BUT when he gets older and looks back at what could've been ( more SB rings) he'll regret taking 25M per year.

How about 16M per year with 4.25M guaranteed over 6 years. That would make him the highest paid player and still leave room for Veteran Free Agents to be signed that will help him win SuperBowls.

No he wont because he is 25mil dollar richer.

It seems to me that manning has a decision to make: 1.)Take the monster contract, fatten your wallet, kiss potential championships goodbye. 2.) Take a slightly lesser deal that is still VERY lucrative for him, leave some cap room, give yourself a chance to compete for more championships and solidify your status as the best ever...

Maybe i am over-simplifying it, but it seems like a no brainer to me.

It seems to me that manning has a decision to make: 1.)Take the monster contract, fatten your wallet, kiss potential championships goodbye. 2.) Take a slightly lesser deal that is still VERY lucrative for him, leave some cap room, give yourself a chance to compete for more championships and solidify your status as the best ever...

Maybe i am over-simplifying it, but it seems like a no brainer to me.

Yeah but then again he could surprise us and take the fatten wallet and prove to us that he is GREEDY

what they simply have to do is give a huge bonus, the bonus is paid out over the contract life and doesnt count toward the cap,

only the real salary is counted toward the cap,

Basically agree on what u will pay salary wise and wotk the rest out later and a start signing people, though yes that gives peyton leverage fort even more of a bonus but in the meantime we are suffering by inaction

I'll be disappointed if his contract is absurdly large

How could it be anything but absurdly large?

Given his previous contract and his production, he stands to demand a gross overpayment.

I love Peyton and want to see him kept by the Colts' date=' but where's the money going to come from to surround him with the talent he needs to win? The older he gets, the more he's going to need support. This deal has to be a win-win or everybody loses.[/quote']

This has been an issue all along. Indy has always been burdened by their greatest asset. The mantra has always been "As long as we have Manning, we have a chance to win". What we saw last year was the compromise folds into failure when we get hit with inordinate amounts of injury.

what they simply have to do is give a huge bonus, the bonus is paid out over the contract life and doesnt count toward the cap,

only the real salary is counted toward the cap,

Basically agree on what u will pay salary wise and wotk the rest out later and a start signing people, though yes that gives peyton leverage fort even more of a bonus but in the meantime we are suffering by inaction

Where did you get the idea that the bonus does not count toward the cap. If he gets a 60 million dollar bonus over a 5 year contract, 12 million per year counts towards the cap.

hes right..brought 2 you by the new c.b.a.

Do you have a link to the language of the new cba to check this. If it is true, everyone on every team would have a salary of $1.00 per year and the rest in bonus if the bonus does not count towards the cap.

I always find it funny that when players are ready for a contract fans come out of the wood work and say they should take pay cuts for the betterment of the team, but they will be the same fans that try and run that player out of town when their skill slips.

The NFL is a business first and foremost. As Peyton ages and if he slips in ability which he will the team will not be like oh Peyton for the years of service we are fine with how much you make. We did it to Marvin and we sure would do it to Peyton. The 49ers moved on from Montana and the Packers did it to Favre and they both were HOF QBs. Heck Joe is and was the best QB to play the game and the 49ers moved on to Young.

You throw in the fact that Peyton is a union guy and you are not going to see some big discount given to the Colts. Peyton is going to get paid big time. I have no problem with him not giving a big discount because I would do the same thing.

A couple of things... Joe and Brett were backed up by one HOFer and another soon to be HOF QB. That is certainly not the case here.

And would it be such a sacrifice for Peyton to say .... take 16M per instead of crippling Indy at 22-25M per? If only to save enough to bring back our own players? Peyton is the highest paid, and most marketable Pro Athlete of all the big 3 sports. Peyton could accept a contract of 5M per and still when all is said and done be the highest paid athlete in the NFL by far. or at least very close.

I just do not want Indy to hurt themselves by over paying for a 35 year old QB who has a disk issue in his NECK.

Spine issues do NOT go away, this is something that in all probability will end PM's career short.

Where did you get the idea that the bonus does not count toward the cap. If he gets a 60 million dollar bonus over a 5 year contract, 12 million per year counts towards the cap.

I posted the other day the Video of Brandt discussing it this way ,it was one of the lost colt links from yesterday by the site , think i also had it on blog in direct coltts am checking , & yes

May be wrong as relistend, but with HUGE BONUS Brant talks 50 million and prorating it out many years u definitely lower the 23 million franchise tag, did same thing last time franchise , somewhere else read can be by alot depending how bonus is distributed & still give him all the money to equate the huge contract, that dont have the link for

VIDEO Brandt on how u structure Manning's deal

My link

I posted the other day the Video of Brandt discussing it this way ,it was one of the lost colt links from yesterday by the site , think i also had it on blog in direct coltts am checking , & yes

May be wrong as relistend, but with HUGE BONUS and prorating u definitely lower the 23 million franchise tag , somewhere ellse read can be by alot depending how bonus is distributed & still give him all the money to equate the huge contract, that dont have the link for

VIDEO Brandt on how u structure Manning's deal

My link

IF Peyton stays healthy this will work, BUT.... I am seriously concerned about this neck issue 2-4 years down the road. Herniated and bulging disks just do not go away. If I am Jim Irsay I am very nervous about making a pro rated long term contract (signing bonus) with Manning. But as we all know, he simply has no other choice.... we don't have a Young or Rodgers sitting on the bench.

Do you have a link to the language of the new cba to check this. If it is true, everyone on every team would have a salary of $1.00 per year and the rest in bonus if the bonus does not count towards the cap.

I believe the signing bonus can only be a certain percentage of the total value of the contract. I may be wrong.