Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

are the patriots in trouble

CR91

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a chance, People seem to forget Brady made alot of wr's, Welker is just 1

Defense will be better, another year and chandler healthy for 1, youngsters starting to gel with another year on field

u just cant give up on that team till it happens

BB will always research and find wrinkles as needed

the weapons for tom brady continue to fall. welker is gone. lloyd is gone. AH is gone. gronk is hurt. the defense is not exactly top 10. will this be a down year for the patriots

Brandon Lloyd was not a "weapon" for Brady haha, he was pretty horrible. He dove for every single ball and never had any YAC. That is why they released him 2 years early on his deal, because they could have pretty much anyone come in and replace his production, but they can do it with someone that has a little more explosiveness and ability to get yards after the catch.

Defense is on the ups though, I think they're going to shock the entire league.

Brandon Lloyd was not a "weapon" for Brady haha, he was pretty horrible. He dove for every single ball and never had any YAC. That is why they released him 2 years early on his deal, because they could have pretty much anyone come in and replace his production, but they can do it with someone that has a little more explosiveness and ability to get yards after the catch.

Defense is on the ups though, I think they're going to shock the entire league.

I know lloyd wasnt a big factor in your offense, Im just stating hes gone

Patriots will be fine as long as Brady and Belichick are there.

They may not be a top 5 offense this year (though I still think they end up being top 10 in the league) but that might be fine if their D makes plays and improves. That is what Patriots fans are counting on, that is what Belichick is counting on as well. The league is different now than 8-9 years ago, you need a top 10 offense more often than not to win enough games to get a top seeding in your conference.

They will still win their division but I am not betting money on them being a top 2 seed in the AFC, that is how I see it.

Herndandez is the only loss they haven't had a chance to "plan" for. They let Welker walk, cut Lloyd, knew Gronk would be hurt, etc-etc.

Maybe they make a trade in camp or something, I don't know.

But either way, this conversation is awfully familiar. I've seen the Patriots' obit appear lots of times over the years. I think they'll be alright. Maybe not 14-2 and the top seed in the conference, but they're also not going to go 7-9.

Herndandez is the only loss they haven't had a chance to "plan" for. They let Welker walk, cut Lloyd, knew Gronk would be hurt, etc-etc.

But either way, this conversation is awfully familiar. I've seen the Patriots' obit appear lots of times over the years. I think they'll be alright. Maybe not 14-2 and the top seed in the conference, but they're also not going to go 7-9.

Yep. They'll still get into the playoffs.

No doubt the loss of talent will prolly have minimal, if any, impact. Of bigger concern will be the potential distraction of players getting subpoenaed, constant barrage of questions from media, etc. I'm not sure any of this is going to go away quickly for the Pats, no matter how much they try to distance themselves from it.

The Pats willfully got rid of Lloyd and Welker. They have Amendola in place of Welker and the rookies at WR for Lloyd. Gronk will play this season. So really they are only down one player they wanted which is AH. They have seven TEs on the roster including Jake Ballard. No one as talented as AH but the O will morpth I think into a more power run game ala 2004 with Dillon. I think that is why they got Blount from the Bucs. All Pats faithful have to trust #12 and Bill. What else is new? sigh...

I don't think Gronk makes it for week 1. That is a scary prospect for Tommy Brady. That leaves him with only Danny Amendola and a 2nd round rookie to throw to.

On top of that their D has struggled to be taken seriously the last few years.

Depending on how long Gronk is out for, I can see the Pats having a slight down year. 9-7 maybe.

The Pats willfully got rid of Lloyd and Welker. They have Amendola in place of Welker and the rookies at WR for Lloyd. Gronk will play this season. So really they are only down one player they wanted which is AH. They have seven TEs on the roster including Jake Ballard. No one as talented as AH but the O will morpth I think into a more power run game ala 2004 with Dillon. I think that is why they got Blount from the Bucs. All Pats faithful have to trust #12 and Bill. What else is new? sigh...

I think the only concern is the health of Gronk and Amendola....they have to be healthy come playoff time.

Let us not forget that O-Line.

Yeah, their Oline will continue to be solid (except for the critical loss of D. Thomas... :))

Again, tho, I'd argue the distractions from this will be more significant than any supposed drop off in talent. The Pats do a great job of managing distractions, but I don't know how you effectively shut out this one.

Players will be called as witnesses. And players will gossip about the case. No matter how much the club attempts to insulate itself and its players, this man was once a teammate and a part of these guys' lives. This will be a constant presence all year, no doubt.

No doubt the loss of talent will prolly have minimal, if any, impact. Of bigger concern will be the potential distraction of players getting subpoenaed, constant barrage of questions from media, etc. I'm not sure any of this is going to go away quickly for the Pats, no matter how much they try to distance themselves from it.

It will bring a whole new dimension to the phrase "circle the team wagons" & "does anyone wanna ask me a football related question?" If necessary, Bill Belichick will just hold the shortest press conferences in NFL history. Bill ,with legal counsel beside him, is probably determining what to tell players & how to address the media about this new development once they return for training camp. 

Other than Ben Watson (TE) not really. Maybe Deion but it's not like he looked much better in his return to NE than he did in SEA. Moss was a stud before Brady. 

Welker

Troy Brown

David Givens

David Patten

Branch also had two 700 plus yard seasons when he returned to NE while only starting 28 of 48 games

Yeah, their Oline will continue to be solid (except for the critical loss of D. Thomas... :))

Again, tho, I'd argue the distractions from this will be more significant than any supposed drop off in talent. The Pats do a great job of managing distractions, but I don't know how you effectively shut out this one.

Players will be called as witnesses. And players will gossip about the case. No matter how much the club attempts to insulate itself and its players, this man was once a teammate and a part of these guys' lives. This will be a constant presence all year, no doubt.

No argument there schwamm. The duration of this dark cloud over the team is different than SpyGate though vs an allegation of murder from a former teammate. Constant grilling about a shady teammate & by association the ethics of an organization, rightly or wrongly, does carry a heavy burden. Us vs the world mentality cannot be completely isolated & quarantined all season long. It will impact the coaches & players concentration at some point.

Bill's tenure at Cleveland is 1 thing; this situation is quite another. Yes, Hernandez was a teammate who is no longer on the Patriots roster, but the point is one of your own "Patriot Way" recruits has fallen & no active NE player/coach can easily dismiss that. 

It will bring a whole new dimension to the phrase "circle the team wagons" & "does anyone wanna ask me a football related question?" If necessary, Bill Belichick will just hold the shortest press conferences in NFL history. Bill ,with legal counsel beside him, is probably determining what to tell players & how to address the media about this new development once they return for training camp.

they made that really easy today. Bill will mumble something to the effect of "I'm not going to discuss players that aren't on our roster" the media will ask the exact same question multiple times, and Bill will answer itthe exact same way until he gets tired of it, then he will end the conference

I just want to be clear. I still respect the NE Patriots franchise [Ownership/Coaching wise] & 1 man's criminal activities or allegations won't make me tarnish or condemn an entire NFL organization. SW1 just needed to say that outloud. Thank you. 

Like Chad72 said, as long as Brady & Bellichick are intact, this football club won't miss a beat post season wise. Really, NE needs reliable pass rushers that get to the QB & sack him consistently. That's what they need to win that 4th elusive SB IMO. 

I think the only concern is the health of Gronk and Amendola....they have to be healthy come playoff time.

A valid point BOTT, but I wonder how easily NE will replace their thumper RB Danny Woodhead now in San Diego. He did a lot offensively & he was a good blocker too. I would not have let Danny go personally. 

A valid point BOTT, but I wonder how easily NE will replace their thumper RB Danny Woodhead now in San Diego. He did a lot offensively & he was a good blocker too. I would not have let Danny go personally. 

yep. I wish they kept Woodhead too but they did sign Leon Washington who I think will take Danny's role on O and also Welker's role on special teams.

The more I think about it, I think the Pats O will look completely different. I suppose the only bright side is the fact that it is still June which gives Bill two months to figure things out post AH.

OK Pats have issues

Lets say Colts had similar isue

we all would say wev still have PEYTON, remember year , basically all wide  reciver / TE  corp  except wayne and totally 16 players on IR, still got in playoffs 

we wouldnt count out colts with Maning & no run game, we cant count out Pats with Brady, BB & a run game

Dont jump to conclusions 

the weapons for tom brady continue to fall. welker is gone. lloyd is gone. AH is gone. gronk is hurt. the defense is not exactly top 10. will this be a down year for the patriots

One of the best rushing teams from 2012, Tom Brady....BB at the helm. They also had a very respectable, solid defense last year. 

No, the Patriots aren't in trouble. 

There is a perceived window closing via Tom Brady's age. IMO, what would close that window would not be the decline/loss of Brady in the future. That window will slam shut when they lose Belichick. 

The defense should make a big difference this season.

D-line will be solid, and Chandler Jones should have a huge season. He's put on a good amount of muscle, and is healthy. I'm thinking 12-15 sacks this season. Wilfork will be great, as usual.

The LB corp should be the best it's been since '04-'05, I think. Hightower will have a full season under his belt, Spikes will be good, and Mayo is an excellent MLB.

The secondary, to me, is by far the most improved, and I'm pretty excited to see how it turns out.

Between Talib, Dennard, Dowling, and Arrington, that has the potential to be top 3 CB group in the NFL. Now, it's only potential, but I think that Dowling's hip surgery has helped him to move past hamstring issues (based on the reports that I've read). I've had high hopes for him since he was drafted, and the reports so far are glowing.

The defense should make a big difference this season.

D-line will be solid, and Chandler Jones should have a huge season. He's put on a good amount of muscle, and is healthy. I'm thinking 12-15 sacks this season. Wilfork will be great, as usual.

The LB corp should be the best it's been since '04-'05, I think. Hightower will have a full season under his belt, Spikes will be good, and Mayo is an excellent MLB.

The secondary, to me, is by far the most improved, and I'm pretty excited to see how it turns out.

Between Talib, Dennard, Dowling, and Arrington, that has the potential to be top 3 CB group in the NFL. Now, it's only potential, but I think that Dowling's hip surgery has helped him to move past hamstring issues (based on the reports that I've read). I've had high hopes for him since he was drafted, and the reports so far are glowing.

I don't know, man.  This seems like a bit of a roseate view, particularly in the secondary.  Talib and Dennard are somewhat known character risks, and there's a reason no one wanted to give Talib big long-term money this year.  Arrington is a serviceable, but underwhelming alternative, and Dowling is yet another talented guy who has a frustrating ability to stay in the training room.  The CBs could be a disaster.  The Safeties are no better than "stable".  Wilson and McCourty should be okay (but lackluster) starters, and the rest are crap.  A couple of DL spots and a couple of LB spots are questionable, but there are legitimate stars (Wilfork, Jones, Spikes, Mayo) in the front seven...so the D has potential. 

The offense looks to be fine.  With a top-tier OL, a top-five QB, and a good running game, they will continue to score points.  Shouldn't be as prolific as in the past, unless Gronk comes back soon and Armendola is the second coming of Welker.  The OL seems to have less depth than in the past, and Logan Mankins may not be the elite lineman he used to be.  I'm not sure I believe that Marcus Cannon is the next great thing...we'll have to see.  The OL may be living on reputation as some call it the best in football, but it's definitely solid.  

In general, Brady should lead a productive offense and the D should be a little better than average (outside of top-ten).  To me, the Pats would still be a borderline top-ten team this year, but by no means an AFC favorite: I'd put Denver, Baltimore, Cincy, Indy, and Houston ahead of them.