Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

For everyone on here who is crying for a WR

Peytonparker

People would really say no? Seriously?

yeah if they cut him people would say no, he has had several off the field issues... Just cause someone has talent doesn't make them a good person, He is far from being a role model... I dunno may just be the father in me and i wouldn't want my children to root for a guy like this

Ouch. Blackmon's "fully guaranteed" contract has a behavior clause that fully voids his deal if he gets suspended. I'm initially thinking there's no way they release him, because the dead cap hit is something like $18m, but if he is actually in breach of terms, they can get out of the rest of his contract. And part of his bonus money was deferred, which would also get voided. Because of how young and talented he is, it's still not likely that he's cut, but it could conceivably happen.

It's hard for me to understand how someone could be so stupid.

In light of the above, NO, I would not want Justin Blackmon on the Colts. He's a remarkable talent, but he can't get out of his own way, even when the stakes are as high as they could possibly be. I hope he gets it together, but I wouldn't want him.

He would be considered a whopper -- but I don't see it happening.    We might not need one this season, but Reggie's eventual replacement is not on the roster yet so I wouldn't necessarily be against it (depending on what he was suspended for).

Some thoughts....

What Blackmon got suspended for is not some new incident.   He didn't fail a drug test or anything.

This appears to be the result of a DUI from last summer.   The process has played itself out and now he's being suspended by the league.    That's my read of it at least....

So....   despite all the language that puts his contract in jeopardy, I don't think the Jags will cut him.

But if they do,   unless there's more to this story than I'm aware of,   then, yes,  I'd be willing to take a shot at him.   His talent his good enough and his offenses don't seem that terrible to me that I wouldn't be willing to at least take a shot on him....

I'm open to any new info that sheds more light on this...   but that's my read of things for right now....

In response to the thread title, I'm not sure I'm crying for any position, but I am all for any upgrades that have the potental of improving the team. I actually tossed out the idea of Blackmon back when people were speculating on Irsay's Wopper. If he's potentially getting cut for character reasons, though, I'm not as enthusiastic.

I am very comfortable with the Wayne, DHB and Hilton combo, but I am certain there is all kinds of room to improve over any of the rest of the depth at the position.

Some thoughts....

What Blackmon got suspended for is not some new incident.   He didn't fail a drug test or anything.

This appears to be the result of a DUI from last summer.   The process has played itself out and now he's being suspended by the league.    That's my read of it at least....

So....   despite all the language that puts his contract in jeopardy, I don't think the Jags will cut him.

But if they do,   unless there's more to this story than I'm aware of,   then, yes,  I'd be willing to take a shot at him.   His talent his good enough and his offenses don't seem that terrible to me that I wouldn't be willing to at least take a shot on him....

I'm open to any new info that sheds more light on this...   but that's my read of things for right now....

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9228472/justin-blackmon-jacksonville-jaguars-suspended-four-games

The league suspended Blackmon on Tuesday for the first four games of the 2013 season for his second violation in less than a year.

It's Blackmon's third substance-related incident in less than three years. He was arrested on a misdemeanor DUI charge in Texas in 2010 after officers caught him speeding on a suburban Dallas highway. The charge was later reduced to an underage alcohol possession charge. A little more than a month after the Jaguars traded up to select the former Oklahoma State star with the fifth overall pick in last year's draft, he was arrested during a traffic stop in Stillwater, Okla., after a breath test allegedly showed his blood alcohol content to be three times the legal limit.

That arrest landed him the NFL's substance-abuse program.

It's unclear what caused his second violation, but it could have been a failed drug test.

That reads as if this is unrelated to what happened last year.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8195150/jacksonville-jaguars-wide-receiver-justin-blackmon-pleads-guilty-drunken-driving

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/24/justin-blackmon-avoids-jail-time-with-dui-guilty-plea/

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/19740049/justin-blackmon-jaguars-agree-to-terms-on-185m-contract

He was sentenced last July for his DUI. The NFL sometimes waits to hand out punishment, but they usually will do something around the time the court hands down a sentence. They don't wait nine months for no reason, then hand down a four game suspension. And the automatic four game suspension for a substance violation is only triggered on a second offense.

His contract wasn't done until August, after the DUI and sentencing.

I don't know for sure, but I'm thinking this is an entirely new event.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9228472/justin-blackmon-jacksonville-jaguars-suspended-four-games

That reads as if this is unrelated to what happened last year.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8195150/jacksonville-jaguars-wide-receiver-justin-blackmon-pleads-guilty-drunken-driving

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/24/justin-blackmon-avoids-jail-time-with-dui-guilty-plea/

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/19740049/justin-blackmon-jaguars-agree-to-terms-on-185m-contract

He was sentenced last July for his DUI. The NFL sometimes waits to hand out punishment, but they usually will do something around the time the court hands down a sentence. They don't wait nine months for no reason, then hand down a four game suspension. And the automatic four game suspension for a substance violation is only triggered on a second offense.

His contract wasn't done until August, after the DUI and sentencing.

I don't know for sure, but I'm thinking this is an entirely new event.

Thanks.....    that's different than what I had read earlier in the day....

If so....     then, I'd likely take a pass....

We don't need a WR this year, especially an immature one with multiple off the fields problems in the past.

Too many people wanna classify the situation as an immaturity episode & cut him loose. It's not that simple. It sounds like a serious addiction problem to me. Plus, the Jaguars need all the athletic talent they can get. Right now, get Mr. Blackmon cleaned up stat. It might take more than 1 drug & alcohol rehab session too...The Betty Ford Clinic perhaps...Save his life. That's all that matters right now IMO. 

I don't understand these football players. Millions of dollars being thrown their way, and they ALWAYS seem to find trouble.

I swear if I had money like that, I'd be in the house playing my PS3. Actually, that's what I do now. Making that much money I'd spend it on video games & apple juice :D

No. Highly overrated player that would in all likelihood require too much and too much time to develop. I see him being a Michael Crabtree type project. Tremendous college talent that took some years to get adjusted to the pro game. He also has some behavior issues that would make him an even bigger project than Crabtree. Ill pass.

No. Highly overrated player that would in all likelihood require too much and too much time to develop. I see him being a Michael Crabtree type project. Tremendous college talent that took some years to get adjusted to the pro game. He also has some behavior issues that would make him an even bigger project than Crabtree. Ill pass.

His numbers don't reflect being overrated, especially when he spent the season with Gabbert and Henne as his QB.

The talent is there. However, its between the ears that needs more development. He matures, and the sky is the limit for him.

yeah if they cut him people would say no, he has had several off the field issues... Just cause someone has talent doesn't make them a good person, He is far from being a role model... I dunno may just be the father in me and i wouldn't want my children to root for a guy like this

Why do people care about how much of a role model an NFL player is? 

Are you really depending on Justin Blackmon to raise your kids or.......? 

Blackmon is a kid himself. He's making far less mistakes than I did at his age. This holier than thou attitude reeks of hypocrisy. 

What he does in his off time is his business. All I care about is that the guy can run fast and catch a ball. 

64 catches 865 yards and 5 touchdowns as a rookie on a bad team with terrible QB's. Hardly seems overrated to me