Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grade the Colts 2013 Draft

SilentHill

Okay...grade our 2010 draft then.  :) lol

Hughes- D+ (Has had some chances now, showed improvement last year, he was overvalued by Polian, very raw in terms technique both in pass rush moves and tackling)

Pat Angerer-B+ good sideline to sideline player tackles well most of the time, more of a drag down tackler then a thumper but if healthy chalk him up for over 100 tackles

Kevin Thomas-He showed some potential at USC never extremely productive, could not stay healthy  at USC nor could he stay healthy here plus we traded him- F

Jacques Mcclendon-Overdrafted, according to NFL Draft Scout his stock was 5-6th round, we took him in the 4th, very strong player however (37 bench press reps at his pro day) but only played in 4 games- has long term potential in a Man Blocking scheme in my opinion but for us F

Brody Eldridge-Pass Blocking TE lasted 2 years of his original 4 year deal on the Colts roster, 5 round draft pick, was not drafted to be our pass catching TE back then, he blocked well in my opinion for us but again only lasted 2 years D (was never gonna be a guy that was here long term but did his job while he was here)

Ricardo Matthews-7th round draft pick started 5 games as a Colt, brings energy, not the most gifted of players physically but has been productive when given that chance 33 tackles as a rotational D Lineman and a sack and 3 pass deflections, I'd give him a C, has not gotten consistent playing time, he flashes potential, I kinda like him now that I really think about his play

Kavell Conner-7th round Comp pick- Has a 100 tackle season to his credit, not a big thumper, played in 42 games and has 215 tackles, 2 sacks, 6 pass deflections, was benched but I like him..... B

Ray Fisher-Never played a Down in the NFL but was only a 7th round draft pick who showed ability at IU-F for the pick but 7th rounder anyway, I never heard why he was cut so soon

;)

Was not a real sexy draft, but we got a lot of talent that filled a lot of the remaining potholes in the team.

I actually didn't mind it. Werner apparently tested well in 3-4 drills, cant wait to see what happens there. 

B.

I give it a C as in wait and see.I do think Bruce stole some of his players off our board.He knew he could get them b-4 we did.

What players are you talking about? They picked so far ahead of us that the only ones were their extra picks in rounds 3 and 6, Watford and Ellington. We wouldn't have grabbed Ellington. So only Watford was 'stolen'. Even tho another OL wasn't taken before hand, someone may have grabbed him anyways.

Hughes- D+ (Has had some chances now, showed improvement last year, he was overvalued by Polian, very raw in terms technique both in pass rush moves and tackling)

Pat Angerer-B+ good sideline to sideline player tackles well most of the time, more of a drag down tackler then a thumper but if healthy chalk him up for over 100 tackles

Kevin Thomas-He showed some potential at USC never extremely productive, could not stay healthy  at USC nor could he stay healthy here plus we traded him- F

Jacques Mcclendon-Overdrafted, according to NFL Draft Scout his stock was 5-6th round, we took him in the 4th, very strong player however (37 bench press reps at his pro day) but only played in 4 games- has long term potential in a Man Blocking scheme in my opinion but for us F

Brody Eldridge-Pass Blocking TE lasted 2 years of his original 4 year deal on the Colts roster, 5 round draft pick, was not drafted to be our pass catching TE back then, he blocked well in my opinion for us but again only lasted 2 years D (was never gonna be a guy that was here long term but did his job while he was here)

Ricardo Matthews-7th round draft pick started 5 games as a Colt, brings energy, not the most gifted of players physically but has been productive when given that chance 33 tackles as a rotational D Lineman and a sack and 3 pass deflections, I'd give him a C, has not gotten consistent playing time, he flashes potential, I kinda like him now that I really think about his play

Kavell Conner-7th round Comp pick- Has a 100 tackle season to his credit, not a big thumper, played in 42 games and has 215 tackles, 2 sacks, 6 pass deflections, was benched but I like him..... B

Ray Fisher-Never played a Down in the NFL but was only a 7th round draft pick who showed ability at IU-F for the pick but 7th rounder anyway, I never heard why he was cut so soon

;)

LOL Good job Gav!  Man...that really did turn out to be a pretty lousy draft with the exception of Anger and Conner.  Finding Conner in the 7th was rather impressive in hindsight.

LOL Good job Gav!  Man...that really did turn out to be a pretty lousy draft with the exception of Anger and Conner.  Finding Conner in the 7th was rather impressive in hindsight.

Yeah, it helps to know or remember why we draft certain players, they are not all meant to start or catch alot of passes, Something I have to constantly remind myself

Total Draft Grade: C

1st Round: Bjoern Werner: A: immediate impact

3rd Round: Hugh Thornton: C+: on the ropes but could be better than what we have.

4th Round: Khaled Holmes: D: for a man his size his bench was terrible. He can press his man back but has bad technique and can fall on his face alot

5th Round: Montori Hughes: C+: he's got great upside and just needs sine tweaking.

6th Round: John Boyett: B: has amazing quickness in getting to the ball. Can make tackles when needed and still put a hurtin. Short but has ups. Can get burned by dbl moves, allows more cushion than is needed for slot and wide outs on trip side.

7th Round: Kerwynn Williams: C+: don't know alot about him but has potential in numerous positions.

7th Round: Justice Cunningham: D+: I'm grading the pick and not the person on this one. Completely disagree with TE selection here. I see him being more of a blocking TE when we run a two tight end set so that Allen and fleener can swap out rec roles. Or have dbl blocking TE.

Overall B- with a A+ upside

1st Round: Bjoern Werner: B+ Transition from 4-3 DE to 3- OLB hope the transition is productive as what Marcus Washington's or moreso

3rd Round: Hugh Thornton: C+ Hope he is the play to the whistle guy they say what the Colts need a mauler.

4th Round: Khaled Holmes: C Wait and see approach. Will be compared to who everyone wanted B Jones.

5th Round: Montori Hughes: A Will need strong mentorship , I think we have that. Pro Bowl in 3 years if he stays out of trouble DE.

6th Round: John Boyett: B+ Special teams from day1 replace Bethea year 2. Watched tape made more plays in 5 min than Bethea has in 4 years.

7th Round: Kerwynn Williams: C Don't fumble KO return please.

7th Round: Justice Cunningham: D To take him he had to be your top UDFA want . Didn't seem to be the case as he was ready to sign with another team .

What players are you talking about? They picked so far ahead of us that the only ones were their extra picks in rounds 3 and 6, Watford and Ellington. We wouldn't have grabbed Ellington. So only Watford was 'stolen'. Even tho another OL wasn't taken before hand, someone may have grabbed him anyways.

Only he knows for sure but I just think he was here most of the year evaluating players with Grigson. Griggs said in his conf. they were looking at some of the players as far back as august.So I think he did a copy& paste on his board for the most part.(who wouldn't)  I think Okafor,Watford,Taylor,Swope,Ellington and even mathieu were on our board.bruce even said Luck has been talking up Taylor all year.So if you have an ideal who another team likes and where, and your in a position to take that player b-4 they do. Well you just do it.

This offseason was a foundation offseason - just getting the right pieces for the system.  You have to remember, this organization was gutted only 15 months ago.  I might have done a few things differently, but it all makes sense.  Hopefully, in 2014, they are in position to add a play maker/difference maker or two. 

Grade the draft as a whole, and then if you see fit, grade the individuals.

1st Round: Bjoern Werner: B+

3rd Round: Hugh Thornton: C+

4th Round: Khaled Holmes: D

5th Round: Montori Hughes: C

6th Round: John Boyett: C

7th Round: Kerwynn Williams: B-

7th Round: Justice Cunningham: C-

You should make a poll! It would be easier to decipher the overall fan bases grades.  :)

Only he knows for sure but I just think he was here most of the year evaluating players with Grigson. Griggs said in his conf. they were looking at some of the players as far back as august.So I think he did a copy& paste on his board for the most part.(who wouldn't) I think Okafor,Watford,Taylor,Swope,Ellington and even mathieu were on our board.bruce even said Luck has been talking up Taylor all year.So if you have an ideal who another team likes and where, and your in a position to take that player b-4 they do. Well you just do it.

Ya prob. But the only one possibly stolen was Watford. All the others were taken so far ahead of us that they prob wouldn't have fell to us anyways.

Werner - A: Day 1 starter, and a quality replacement for Freeney. A guy once considered a top 5 pick with the talent to match. Very productive and good against the run. Top quality personality according to multiple sources, very media and fan-friendly.

Thornton - B: Heavy set interior lineman with positional flexibility. Has the strength and size to become an elite run blocker.

Holmes - C : Only pick that slightly perplexed me. A leader on offense, with smarts and a football iq that reminds me of Jeff Saturday. His size slightly concerns me, although again that reminds me of Saturday. Not sure how he'll fit in a power run scheme. But I will give him a shot.

Hughes - B: A mountainous interior defender. Brings size, and versatility to our D line. Movement and size reminds me of Haloti Ngata. A type of player the Pagano D could use. Like the player, but I'm not wild about giving up the 4th rounder for him.

Boyett - A: A guy who has the potential to cover and play like Bethea and hit like Landry. Often utilised as a single deep Safety, a position I can see being used a lot this season. High level instincts to match with good ball skills.

Williams - A: Love this pick. Heard someone compare him to Darren Sproles. And I agree. Small but strong runner, excellent receiver out of the backfield and an experienced returner. He is particularly useful on screen plays. A triple threat guy who can take it to the house whenever he touches the ball.

Cunningham - B: Great blocker with good hands. Will compete with Saunders for 3rd TE position. Has a solid shot at making the final roster.

Overall - B+: Very solid draft. Full of picks that while aren't sexy fill needs and inject talent. Sets us in good position to succeed next season.

Like most people, I am reluctant to grade this draft for at least a couple of years.  Without any NFL games under their belt, this year's class looks like a solid B, but that is like a high school teacher saying, "This student looks like a B student when he or she has only completed the 6th grade.

1st Round: Bjoern Werner: A-

3rd Round: Hugh Thornton: B

4th Round: Khaled Holmes: C-

5th Round: Montori Hughes: C+

6th Round: John Boyett: B-

7th Round: Kerwynn Williams: B

Can't wait to change grades after seeing them play.

I give it a B+

Loved that we settled some of the trenches positions. Looks great. 

Bjoern could end up being one of the best players in the draft 5 years from now. And I love the Williams pick. Could be a great all-around utility player for us. 

Until proven otherwise.... Total Draft Grade: A+

1st Round: Bjoern Werner: A+

3rd Round: Hugh Thornton: A+

4th Round: Khaled Holmes: A+

5th Round: Montori Hughes: A+

6th Round: John Boyett: A+

7th Round: Kerwynn Williams: A+

7th Round: Justice Cunningham: A+

So we picked the best player available every single round? Nice. I know who I want to play fantasy football with.

1st Round: Bjoern Werner: B

This grade could rise. I knock it because of the uncertainty. He's not going to be a DE in our system, and everything they say we liked in him and expect out of him is legitimately a carbon copy of what they said about Erik Walden. Is our first round pick going to be backing up, or see the field only situationally, or how is this going to play out? The Jerry Hughes debacle has left a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to sitting a first rounder. 

I don't know much on Thornton, but he's a G and we need help at G. It seems we reached for him at the spot, but with the feeding frenzy on O-linemen, any O linemen was a stretch. Hope it works out for us.

4th Round: Khaled Holmes: F

neutral-wait-l.pngWe did what? We already have two guys at C, who should be battling for the starting spot in camp, so this guy isn't going to have much of a future at C for us, and he's too weak to be a G in our power running scheme. The only way this drafting makes sense is if we plan to convert Shipley or Satele to G, but then that leads to questioning why we drafted Thornton before him. If we drafted him just for depth and competition, I think there were some better options available for that.

5th Round: Montori Hughes: B

I legit like this pick. He's not a game changer, he's not a superstar. But he's got a good motor, and I really like this kid's play recognition. I believe we'll put him at DE, and he'll just be a good, block eating end. My main concern with him is his effort. He's been described as lazy. I like that he'll get a year of mentoring from Corey Redding. Totally ok with the trade we made to get him.

6th Round: John Boyett: ?

I detest Oregon, and ignore them so I don't know much about this kid. Everyone says he's a good hitter, though, and he'll get his chance to prove that on ST.

7th Round: Kerwynn Williams: ?

Another kid I don't know much about. From what I understand, he's faster than Donald Brown, but doesn't seem to have the vision Brown did coming out of college. We seem to be most interested in his returns services. 

7th Round: Justice Cunningham: C

I like the pick, but it baffles me. He's a workhorse TE, good at blocking, and can catch, too. That's great, but I'd describe Saunders and Jones the same way. I'm not sure he will be able to offer us anything the aforementioned don't already. 

Total Draft Grade: C/C+

Not the best draft, but not a total wash. We added some good players who could potentially be good depth, and maybe even quality starters, but I don't think we landed a big fish who will become a regular in Hawaii.

The good thing is, even if we never get any significant production out of any of these picks, it won't set us back much, if any at all.

Though we can't truly know until year 3.

Grading the draft right now, is not so much about the players. It's about the F.O. adding talent & making the team better, with the information they have right now. Many people didn't have to wait until they passed ObamaCare & Stimulus Stimuli to know it was a bad move electing Barak.

i give it a B. i love the fact the we went trenches early, boosted our pass rush, and my fav pick sproles junior

Like that. Your pass rush may be worse than it was last year, but the information we have now says the FO saw the same need coltsrules91 did & he feels they did an adequate job addressing it. Three years from now, grading this draft will be more about the players & the coaches ability to bring the best out of them.

1st Round: Bjoern Werner: A: I thought FOR SURE the Commish was going to say Xavier Rhodes. But we needed a OLB and got a pretty good one. Hopefully Mathis can mold him into a Pro Bowler.  

3rd Round: Hugh Thornton: A-: Can play tackle and gaurd. Everyone talks about him having a nasty streak which Grigson seems to like. Maulers are good! Plus he's back with his old O-Line coach....coincidence?  

4th Round: Khaled Holmes: B-: I'm not as hard on this guy as everyone else. He has speed (for running screens) I'm guessing they are looking for him to play guard. Hopefully the end game for this pick is to cut Satele and keep Shipley.

5th Round: Montori Hughes: A: If his off field issues are taken care of, I think this is a great pick. Grigson said "He's 6'4/329 and moves like a cat." Plus the dude's legs are outrageous. Hopefully moving up to take him doesn't hurt us next year.

6th Round: John Boyett: C: Hard hitter, but I'm scared of his knee issues. 

7th Round: Kerwynn Williams: A: Who doesn't like the thought of a Darren Sproles clone snagged in the 7th round?

7th Round: Justice Cunningham: C-: I'm thinking he was got to provide a cheaper replacement version of Saunders since he is a primarily a blocking TE.

I don't understand these ratings nobody will know the outcome of this draft for at least a few years. 

I don't understand these ratings nobody will know the outcome of this draft for at least a few years. 

Well, I based my grades on whether or not the colts filled a need, and if I thought there was a better player available at the time that would have filled a need as well. Also some factoring went into how well I thought the player would fit in the team.

Edit: This thread is also about how you thought the colts did in the draft, it is irrelevant how they end up.

I'd give our Draft a solid B. 

Bjoern Werner - Loved this pick. LOVED it. As an FSU fan, this kid plays with a high motor, very keen at swatting the ball when he can't get to the QB, very solid playing the run, and obviously is a terror getting to the QB. I disagree with the "experts" who say he has limited potential. I think its the opposite. At least 3 times every FSU game, the announcers would talk about his lack of football experience. Quite simply, he is still learning the game and just plays right now. Once he fully understands the game and how to utilize his skill set to fit, we could be looking at one of the best front 7 players in the league very soon. A+ for this pick.

Hugh Thornton - Great size and seems to be great fit for what we want to do. Character issues seem to be for the most part, behind him. I think with proper development, he could be a starter very soon. Talking to my Illinois friends, they say you usually don't notice him other than his size, which is a good thing for an O-linemen because that means he isn't getting beat. Will be interesting to see how he grows moving forward. B for this pick.

Khaled Holmes - From what I hear from the USC fan base, they like this kid. They say he is a leader who works hard all of the time. Might have been a bit of a reach, but no reason to not trust in what Grigson and Pagano are doing. Again scheme wise, seems to really fit what we want to do offensively. Pep Hamilton is somewhat familar with this guy. They must really like what Holmes can potentially bring. C+ for this pick.

Montori Hughes - UNLIMITED potential. This kid can be as good as he wants to be, but he can also flame out. Athletically and talent wise, he can be very good. I think there are guys on this team that will push him to be the best he can be, something he did not have at Tennessee and subsequently, Tennessee-Martin. Could come in and provide immediate production. B- for this pick.

John Boyett - Injury concerns are there. If healthy, he can be as very impactful safety and at the worst, provides depth. What is not being talked about a whole lot is the fact that Andrew Luck and Coby Fleener played directly against this guy when he was healthy and Boyett got the better out of our two top picks from last year. Interesting. A- for this pick.

Kerwynn Williams - Special teams wise, immediate impact ability because of his speed and playmaking. Also could be a solid situational back. I have heard Darren Sproles comparisons which would be great. Low round pick with a chance to make an impact. B+ for this pick.

Justice Cunningham - One of my favorite picks of the entire draft. He immediately comes in as the Colts' best blocking TE which gives him a very good chance at making the roster. In running situations, he has a great chance to see playing time and provide contribution. For being Mr. Irrelevant, he will see the playing time in my opinion. A- for this pick.

A lot of times, #18 covered our draft blemishes because he was real good. #12 will do the same and make this draft look better than it was because he will win us games under some tough circumstances, I am sure.

I am not going to give it a draft grade because no one will know till about a couple of years.