Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Eagles trade

Steagles

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@pwilson24: #Colts GM Ryan Grigson going after a player he knows from his Eagles days in getting Havili. Geathers didn't figure in DE equation.

Just like I said we are stacked on the D line so one of them had to go and it was Geathers, might as well go after a player you know and fill one of your weakest depth spots for training camp

Eagles fan here.  Great trade for you guys, if your OC actually commits to using a FB.  Havili came in as a 230 lb. FB, who didn't really block that much in college.  He picked it up almost instantly, and also got up to around 250 lbs.  Good runner, good receiver, good blocker, good special teamer, and a good guy.  The only reason he didn't make a bigger impact last year was Reid's horrible mismanagement of personnel.  The only reason he got traded is that he's built like a real FB; Chip Kelly is known to like H-backs who can create mismatches in the passing game.  

Can you tell me something about Geathers? 

I am afraid you got the short end of the stick.

@pwilson24: #Colts GM Ryan Grigson going after a player he knows from his Eagles days in getting Havili. Geathers didn't figure in DE equation.

Just like I said we are stacked on the D line so one of them had to go and it was Geathers, might as well go after a player you know and fill one of your weakest depth spots for training camp

Yeah, with the recent additions, there was little chance Geathers would even have made it to training camp.

Sounds like a good time to pick h up as well. Came into league a little undersized and has since then put on the muscle and strength. Has been doing a really good job blocking and blowing up guys in the run game. Like it a lot!!

He comes a football family

Brothers:

Robert Jr is with the Bengals

Kwame played for Georgia and should be drafted in April

Dad:

Robert Sr was a NFL draftee but injuries ended his career

Uncle:

Jumpy Geathers played for several teams in the 80's

Cousin:

Clayton played FB for UCF

Wow! Must be a huge geathersing at Christmas. :goodluck:

You can when you have, Redding, Mathews, Heard, Chapman, Guy, McKinney, Tevasue, Francios, Moala, Nevis, I'm probably leaving out one or two. You can afford to do that. You have to have a certain amount of people at every position to play these preseason games. Right now we had a ton of d lineman and not enough people who could play the FB role in training camp and preseason

You named 4 nose tackles, 2 bums, and a misfit regarding the subject of DE depth. u a funny guy!

You named 4 nose tackles, 2 bums, and a misfit regarding the subject of DE depth. u a funny guy!

Geathers played all 3 d line positions, and Geathers was the outcast of the bunch.

"The Eagles in return are getting a young, very big and strong player in Clif Geathers that can play every defensive line position to fill a need moving forward in their new scheme as well. We feel it's a win-win."- Grigson.

So I guess Grigson is the funny guy too, to get rid of Geathers over the rest of the dline players

The Colts' last little nobody for nobody deal worked out relatively well.

With these deals, nothing bad could really happen. The worst that could happen is that they cut him, and that's not the end of the world. 

Havili isn't bad. He's a solid WCO fullback in the sense that he receives well and can pass block pretty well (from what I saw). Don't think he's a great run blocker.

Nothing to be upset about with this trade, unless you're related to Geathers. 

You named 4 nose tackles, 2 bums, and a misfit regarding the subject of DE depth. u a funny guy!

Redding, Francois, Moala, Mathews, Nevis. I agree Nevis is a misfit, but he's better and more versatile than Geathers. Mathews is a good depth option.

I didn't expect Geathers to make the final roster, so trading him for someone that plays a position we have no depth at makes a lot of sense.

Interesting trade. Enjoyed watching him at USC but never really paid much attention when he was in PHI. Wonder what we gave up

When you said you enjoyed watching him at USC I thought you were talking about Geathers. I mean he did play at the real USC, University of SC that is. I couldn't resist giving you a little jab there especially considering Spurrier was just in the news running his mouth why ESPN was in So Cal rather than at our place for pro day

Geathers played all 3 d line positions, and Geathers was the outcast of the bunch.

"The Eagles in return are getting a young, very big and strong player in Clif Geathers that can play every defensive line position to fill a need moving forward in their new scheme as well. We feel it's a win-win."- Grigson.

So I guess Grigson is the funny guy too, to get rid of Geathers over the rest of the dline players

So You THINK that the Eagles negotiating point was, send us who you want to get rid of. Silliness.

And I say it was, we want Geathers out of that list.

So You THINK that the Eagles negotiating point was, send us who you want to get rid of. Silliness.

And I say it was, we want Geathers out of that list.

Who said anything like that, didn't you just here Grigson say he think it was a win-win

Sounds good.  We have been waiting for long, athletic defenders here for years.  Hopefully it works out.

Slightly off topic but Colts-Eagles trade related:  what do you guys think of Jeremy Maclin?  There's some speculation that guy might end up being Maclin.

I don't think Jeremy Maclin is a "whopper" but I do think he's a solid player. Not exactly sure how fast he is. I don't think he's as fast as Avery or Heyward Bey.

I think this is a great trade, Colts actually gain cap space with this deal. Havili is not your typical FB, he has great hands and runs more like a recieving RB (he broke fullback recieving records @ USC). He will be making some plays next year for sure!!!!

We'll be seeing some spider 3 y bananas......

In the NBA, the name of the game is to fleece the other team in a trade. Not so in the NFL. Trades are often pretty fair. Grigson is probably interested in keeping a good relationship with the Eagles.

That ain't it. Grigson is solely interested in doing what he can to make the Colts better in his mind. It has nothing to do with keeping a good relationship with Philly.

That ain't it. Grigson is solely interested in doing what he can to make the Colts better in his mind. It has nothing to do with keeping a good relationship with Philly.

Maybe so, but it wouldn't help make the Colts better in the long run if he ticks off potential trade partners either, or leaves them feeling too fleeced too often.

Everybody change your mock drafts.   No more fullback for the 7th pick.  Guess you'll have to go kicker.

Nah...Cario Santos K can be had next year...maybe replace Juscyzck with Ace Sanders WR/KR and/or Ontario McCalebb RB, Ray Ray Armstrong FS, Matthew Stankiewitch C

Maybe so, but it wouldn't help make the Colts better in the long run if he ticks off potential trade partners either, or leaves them feeling too fleeced too often.

That ain't it either. If a team gets fleeced in a trade, whose fault is that?

I'm a USC fan, and Stanley was the most dynamic and talented FB we've had in a decade probably.  He is light on his feet and athletic.  Catches the ball naturally and runs well after the catch.  Fits perfectly in what Pep will do with the offense.  He was lighter at USC about 220 lbs. and didn't block all that much, but he has beefed up apparently and I think it is a great pick up for almost nothing, or at least for a player that was expendable.  He can even run the ball out of the tailback position and shows good ability to hit holes, slide, and pick up tough yards.  In the redzone, he will have to be accounted for as a receiver.  Great pick up.

Both teams.

Fleece me once, shame on you, fleece me twice, shame on me. Why would I ever entertain any future offer you might make?

Suffice to say I disagree with your view, and think it's overly simplistic.

Stanley hurt his shoulder in high school and his parents could not afford rehab to fix it. He played at USC on a bad shoulder and had surgery in December 2010. He did not perform at the combine probably due to the shoulder surgery. Maybe his first year at Philadelphia he needed weight training to strengthen the shoulder. He may make Carter expendable.

It doesn't matter whose fault it was; the team that feels fleeced will still harbor bad feelings and be less willing trade partners in the future.