Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Eagles trade

Steagles

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Colts acquired FB Stanley Havili from the Eagles for DE Clifton Geathers.

Eagles coach Chip Kelly doesn't use the fullback, but instead likes to put his tight ends in the backfield. Newly signed James Casey will handle those duties. With the Colts implementing more West Coast tendencies in 2013, a lead-blocker for Vick Ballard and company will be needed at times.

Related: Eagles

Mar 28 - 1:44 PM

It's amazing what keeps us interested in the offseason haha. No real loss here, and I suppose we get a potentially useful fullback for the power run game. I like that Grigs is always looking to improve the team; however, it would be nice to hear about a trade not with Philly lol.

He's not a big blocker, but he fits the WCO mold and, most importantly, he's not necessarily a play give away when he's brought in. He's too good as a receiver and runner to just count on a running play coming up. He used to split out at USC a little bit, or so I think.

Sorry to be losing Gaethers....

But now we have a very good blocking and receiving fullback....

Nice pick-up....

Yes, but can he play special teams?

I feel like to justify having a FB on the roster in today's NFL they need to be an exceptional "football player". Meaning they can contribute on offense and more importantly on special teams, where he is most likely to get most of his snaps. 

Tim Tebow could benefit from a positional change to FB, unfortunately his ego is telling him he's a QB.  

Yes, but can he play special teams?

I feel like to justify having a FB on the roster in today's NFL they need to be an exceptional "football player". Meaning they can contribute on offense and more importantly on special teams, where he is most likely to get most of his snaps. 

Tim Tebow could benefit from a positional change to FB, unfortunately his ego is telling him he's a QB.  

While I don't know it for a certain fact, I'd speculate that 'yes'...  he can play some special teams for the Colts...

Eagles fan here.  Great trade for you guys, if your OC actually commits to using a FB.  Havili came in as a 230 lb. FB, who didn't really block that much in college.  He picked it up almost instantly, and also got up to around 250 lbs.  Good runner, good receiver, good blocker, good special teamer, and a good guy.  The only reason he didn't make a bigger impact last year was Reid's horrible mismanagement of personnel.  The only reason he got traded is that he's built like a real FB; Chip Kelly is known to like H-backs who can create mismatches in the passing game.  

Can you tell me something about Geathers? 

Eagles fan here.  Great trade for you guys, if your OC actually commits to using a FB.  Havili came in as a 230 lb. FB, who didn't really block that much in college.  He picked it up almost instantly, and also got up to around 250 lbs.  Good runner, good receiver, good blocker, good special teamer, and a good guy.  The only reason he didn't make a bigger impact last year was Reid's horrible mismanagement of personnel.  The only reason he got traded is that he's built like a real FB; Chip Kelly is known to like H-backs who can create mismatches in the passing game.  

Our 3-4 DE's kept getting hurt last year so the Colts had to look to other teams' practice squads to sign guys to come in.  That's how we got Geathers.  Can't remember what team's practice squad he was signed from but he did get quite a bit of playing time late in the season.  Really wasn't all that impressed with him though.  He and Lawrence Guy were the 2 practice squad guys that got substantial playing time and I liked Guy quite a bit better.  Geathers might continue to develop but not really anything special right now, though he is still young.  

Eagles fan here. Great trade for you guys, if your OC actually commits to using a FB. Havili came in as a 230 lb. FB, who didn't really block that much in college. He picked it up almost instantly, and also got up to around 250 lbs. Good runner, good receiver, good blocker, good special teamer, and a good guy. The only reason he didn't make a bigger impact last year was Reid's horrible mismanagement of personnel. The only reason he got traded is that he's built like a real FB; Chip Kelly is known to like H-backs who can create mismatches in the passing game.

Played very well last year when asked to, he and the rest of our backups forced to start dominated against the Texans. High motor. I liked him, but he probably wouldn't make the roster, we're so deep at DL now. Not as good as Lawrence Guy was, but he has a lot of potential, IMO.

He comes a football family

Brothers:

Robert Jr is with the Bengals

Kwame played for Georgia and should be drafted in April

Dad:

Robert Sr was a NFL draftee but injuries ended his career

Uncle:

Jumpy Geathers played for several teams in the 80's

Cousin:

Clayton played FB for UCF