Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hassleback's cap number is 3mil this yr?

GoodLuck

I'm not sure you guys truly understand how the cap works ill try break down what's awesome about hasselbacks contract. So Matt goes into free agency telling all suitors he wants minimum 5 mil guaranteed that's just what he felt he wanted to make for 2 years. Well most teams would have done a signing bonus of 5 mill here you go Matt we will then spread this equally across the length of your contrac 2 yearst so the cap hit is minimal 2.5 mill hit each year. Then add the base salary to that. Colts had so much room this year we didn't give him a signing bonus we just paid 5mil upfront to come in and play year 1. Year 2 was then decided to be 3.5 mil once again we did not give him a signing bonus so we if we cut him for any reason before next year. His 3.5 mil is off the books and nothing counts to 2014 or we can keep him for only 3.5 it's a good spot to be in. We did a few contracts like this that people are freaking out about but really they are good contracts to not have much gauranteed money of a long period.

I'm not sure you guys truly understand how the cap works ill try break down what's awesome about hasselbacks contract. So Matt goes into free agency telling all suitors he wants minimum 5 mil guaranteed that's just what he felt he wanted to make for 2 years. Well most teams would have done a signing bonus of 5 mill here you go Matt we will then spread this equally across the length of your contrac 2 yearst so the cap hit is minimal 2.5 mill hit each year. Then add the base salary to that. Colts had so much room this year we didn't give him a signing bonus we just paid 5mil upfront to come in and play year 1. Year 2 was then decided to be 3.5 mil once again we did not give him a signing bonus so we if we cut him for any reason before next year. His 3.5 mil is off the books and nothing counts to 2014 or we can keep him for only 3.5 it's a good spot to be in. We did a few contracts like this that people are freaking out about but really they are good contracts to not have much gauranteed money of a long period.

I appreciate you taking the time to explain the Hasselback contract to everyone.....

Except one thing....     

It doesn't appear that any of what you wrote is actually.....    correct.

Click on the link....   the details of the deal are right there....   there WAS/IS a signing bonus.   There is a cap hit in 2014 even if we cut him...      check it out...

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/matt-hasselbeck/

Looks like he got a $3m signing bonus.

The thing is we could be playing for something again. His knowledge of the AFC south should be valuable, especially the Titans. :)

And might win us a game in a pinch.  

I appreciate that there are some (many?) here who think we paid too much for Hasselback, I'm not one of them, and here's why...

There were a reported 10 teams that expressed interest in him and that includes teams like Arizona and Buffalo which need a quarterback...

My hunch says he could've gotten more if money was his driving factor.   It doesn't appear to be that way.

As much as the Colts are paying him I suspect other teams would've been happy to pay him more.

But Hasselback,  according to the stories I saw,  reached out to the Colts to gauge interest and knocked out a deal in roughly 24 hours.    Here's a guy who wanted to be with the Colts!    Here's a guy who could've made more elsewhere...  and yet,  he's in Indianapolis...

We now have one of the best back-up QB's in football.   If Luck goes down, no matter how long,  Hasselback can step in better than most and deliver.   I don't guarantee he'll win every game he plays....   only that he'll play better than the other options that were out there...

I'm thrilled to have him!    One of my favorite off-season signings....

2 years $6 million I do believe. That's not much at all.

And it's not like Hasselbeck is a bum. He'll be a mentor & a good person to come in for Luck if he ever goes down *knocks on wood*

Precisely TK85! Our backup QB is not named Curtis Painter. Thank God, we dodged a serious bullet there. Even QB Jim Sorgi was better than Painter.  :yes:  :thmup:

I appreciate you taking the time to explain the Hasselback contract to everyone.....

Except one thing....     

It doesn't appear that any of what you wrote is actually.....    correct.

Click on the link....   the details of the deal are right there....   there WAS/IS a signing bonus.   There is a cap hit in 2014 even if we cut him...      check it out...

:lol:

I don't get why people care so much. It is not your money, and they have to spend a certain amount of cap room anyways. They obviously didn't want to sign people like Kruger (maybe because he sucks). They still have to overpay someone, so it might as well be people they want rather than cater to to the desires of some uninformed fans who think that their Madden experience makes them the god of football.

I liked this at first. Then Cambell signed for 2yr 3.5....suddenly it doesn't seem like a good deal.

I was waiting for details on Campbell's deal. I thought he'd get closer to $3m/year. I'd still rather have Hasselbeck, personally, but Campbell would have been a decent option. I don't think the team was interested in Campbell -- he was available before Hasselbeck, and no overtures were made.

I don't get why people care so much. It is not your money, and they have to spend a certain amount of cap room anyways. They obviously didn't want to sign people like Kruger (maybe because he sucks). They still have to overpay someone, so it might as well be people they want rather than cater to to the desires of some uninformed fans who think that their Madden experience makes them the god of football.

They don't have to spend a certain amount of cap room.

Honestly I think Hasselbeck signed with the Colts because they where in the same division as the Titans.  

I'm beginning to think that when a player gets cut or not re-signed he might take it somewhat personally and will do his best to sign with a team that is a rival of the team that cut him.

Especially when the deal is done pretty quickly after they are cut.

Look how fast Welker signed with Denver after he got New England's final offer.  Or how fast Hasselback signed with us after being cut from the Titans.  

If you are out to get the most money it would seem wisest to wait a couple days and get some offers from other teams.  The quick signing with these teams tells me they wanted to sign with a rival for a reason other then money.  

I was waiting for details on Campbell's deal. I thought he'd get closer to $3m/year. I'd still rather have Hasselbeck, personally, but Campbell would have been a decent option. I don't think the team was interested in Campbell -- he was available before Hasselbeck, and no overtures were made.

I too would rather have Hasselbeck, but I also assume/hope that neither one would actually play for us.

Using that assumption/hope, I don't think the difference in the two guys is as large as the salaries would indicate.

I find myself wondering if Grigs has had to sweeten the pot to get some FAs here.

I too would rather have Hasselbeck, but I also assume/hope that neither one would actually play for us.

Using that assumption/hope, I don't think the difference in the two guys is as large as the salaries would indicate.

I find myself wondering if Grigs has had to sweeten the pot to get some FAs here.

I actually think Hasselbeck's experience and knowledge of the WCO is worth the difference between him and Campbell. I do agree that play on the field isn't worth that gap. However, with a second year QB, a rooke OC, and a HC who has never coached the offensive side of the ball, Hasselbeck's experience and knowledge are well worth the extra $ because of the benefit he will bring to the meeting room, gameplanning, adjustments, in game analysis, etc.

Honestly I think Hasselbeck signed with the Colts because they where in the same division as the Titans.  

I'm beginning to think that when a player gets cut or not re-signed he might take it somewhat personally and will do his best to sign with a team that is a rival of the team that cut him.

Especially when the deal is done pretty quickly after they are cut.

Look how fast Welker signed with Denver after he got New England's final offer.  Or how fast Hasselback signed with us after being cut from the Titans.  

If you are out to get the most money it would seem wisest to wait a couple days and get some offers from other teams.  The quick signing with these teams tells me they wanted to sign with a rival for a reason other then money.  

Why didn't he sign with the 49ers then when the Seahawks cut him? :)

My response to my friends that complain about this signing is simple: Curtis Painter. I'm ok with paying a bit more for more insurance behind our franchise QB.

Curtis Painter was an anomaly though. No back-up should ever be that bad. I'm shocked the guy is still in the league.

I trust Grigson, so if he thinks it's a good pick up, and I think it's a just in case/you never know acquisition. I'm ok with it. And not a huge hit in funds.....

Not to sure on M.Hassleback past offensive systems he ran, does he have past experience with WCO and can fill in without a lapse in ability?

Go Colts!!!!!

Go Grigson!!!!!

I don't think he was as bad as all that. I think our terrible coaching made him look worse.

He was really bad, though.

True, and he probably got a grand total of zero reps in practice until PM went down, so I'm sure that stunted his development somewhat as well.

True, and he probably got a grand total of zero reps in practice until PM went down, so I'm sure that stunted his development somewhat as well.

Never had a gameplan or a full practice with number one guys. He was thrown to the wolves, and we asked him to basically come in and do what Manning does, rather than adjusting and doing something that would make things easier on him. Really stupid coaching in 2011. I still contend that we weren't as bad as our record indicated.

But still, Painter was really bad. Just want to be clear that I know he was terrible.

Small price to pay in todays NFL for insurance.  I am of the belief that every organization worht its salt with hopes of being a playoff team and Super Bowl contender should have a reliable backup that has the ability to win games ( See Curtis Painter or Jim Sorgi ).  Every player is one hit away and the QB is not easily a next man up position, with us now it is.

Why didn't he sign with the 49ers then when the Seahawks cut him? :)

It probably depends on how fair they felt it was to be cut and if the situation was amicable.  I wasn't paying close attention to the NFL at the time that happened, so I can't say.  Would the 49er's have even signed him?

Hasselback has said after he had already been signed by the Colts that he was still in shock about being cut from the Titans.  

Welker obviously thought the Pats where trying to screw him out of money.  

Sometimes these things end well.  But sometimes I think players feel like they played well, did everything that was asked of them and they still got cut and are upset about that one.  And if a rival is available with the money and the need they will go sign with the rival.  

From what I can tell, a lot of these contracts are designed to fall off the books about the time Luck is due a new contract.

Chap was on the radio talking about the Colts contracts the other day.  He pretty much said if you look at how these contracts are set up they have very small signing bonus's and a lot of money in the first two years of the deals to make up for the fact there aren't large signing bonus's.  He said the reason for that was that if the player doesn't live up to his contract after two years they can release him and not take a huge cap hit to do so.  IE avoid what happened to them last year when they released guys like Addai, Brackett, Clark, or Hayden from a previous season and were left paying for it either in a large cap hit or for a couple of years after the player was released. 

So I would say look at most of these contracts as two year deals with options for years after that if they are signed beyond two years.  I think Grigson is also front loading these contracts to set themselves up for when the younger guys are due contracts so they have room to take on those contracts.  With that said Grigson is still trying to build this team to make sure he still has the Colts job when Luck's contract is up.  In NFL terms that's a life time away right now.  It doesn't mean Grigson should ignore it right now but he also has to make sure the team wins enough so he's still here to deal with it.  I also want to be clear I know you aren't saying Luck's future deal is the driving forced behind all these deals either. 

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:15 AM

IndyTrav, on 28 Mar 2013 - 12:07, said:snapback.png

I liked this at first. Then Cambell signed for 2yr 3.5....suddenly it doesn't seem like a good deal.

1.5 million, no signing bonus for 2013.  2,25 million for 2014, no bonus- nothing guaranteed.  That is the type of backup QB contract and players I was looking for.

I'd rather have Jason Campbell carry a clipboard for 1.5 million. Makes me wonder what the FO truly was thinking there...

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/jason-campbell/

I find it a little funny many of our fans think all of our signings are all low risk and good value, but all of the other teams overpay for all of their signing.  ;)

I actually think Hasselbeck's experience and knowledge of the WCO is worth the difference between him and Campbell. I do agree that play on the field isn't worth that gap. However, with a second year QB, a rooke OC, and a HC who has never coached the offensive side of the ball, Hasselbeck's experience and knowledge are well worth the extra $ because of the benefit he will bring to the meeting room, gameplanning, adjustments, in game analysis, etc.

I really hope your right that he earns his pay in those off the field areas as an extra suited up coach.

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:15 AM

IndyTrav, on 28 Mar 2013 - 12:07, said:snapback.png

1.5 million, no signing bonus for 2013.  2,25 million for 2014, no bonus- nothing guaranteed.  That is the type of backup QB contract and players I was looking for.

I'd rather have Jason Campbell carry a clipboard for 1.5 million. Makes me wonder what the FO truly was thinking there...

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/jason-campbell/

I find it a little funny many of our fans think all of our signings are all low risk and good value, but all of the other teams overpay for all of their signing.   ;)

I'm assuming that bolded part wasn't directed at me. I've acknowledged that we probably overpaid on a few of our free agents, perhaps including Hasselbeck. But his signing is still low risk for the team -- as are those for Walden, Toler, and RJF, and those were the only ones I think we went a little high for.

In my opinion, Matt Hasselbeck is both a better quarterback and a better option for the Colts as a backup, setting aside the money. And whether you agree with the front office or not in that regard, the way they pursued Hasselbeck as soon as he was released -- while practically ignoring Campbell, who was already available -- indicates that they have a strong preference for him as well.

And the difference in money is fairly negligible. Hasselbeck hits for less than 3% of the cap this year. His contract isn't hurting the team, nor is it preventing us from being active should other players come available.