Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We Have Very Good Depth...

Smonroe

We all expect a bunch of FAs to improve our weak areas. And we know we'll get at least two or three quality players in the draft.

Which means we went 11-5 with a bunch of backup players starting. I know we're losing DF and maybe we won't re-sign Fili, but the D has some quality guys who held opposing teams to one TD in each of the last 4 games. They were coming on. Even held the Ravens to their lowest post season scoring. Plus we expect improvement at NT.

The O line and D backfield has guys that should be backups for the most part, and have valuable experience. Powers is a quality backup or nickel.

This is a long winded post and really nothing new. But depth is what matters in the long NFL season.

I think we're in great shape.

I think we're at least two to three years away from having very good depth....   maybe longer....

There's no reason to think we do have it....

Doesn't mean we won't be competitive and maybe even make the playoffs....   but in the NFL,  good depth often is an illusion... 

It's one of the hardest things to get....

I think we're at least two to three years away from having very good depth....   maybe longer....

Doesn't mean we won't be competitive and maybe even make the playoffs....   but in the NFL,  good depth often is an illusion... 

Most NFL teams are 1 injury away from being thin at a position so yes I agree with you. It's an illusion. I think it might be better to say that we have some areas where we are strong, but I don't really think we are deep in any areas really

I know it's subjective. My thinking is that if we were 11-5 and expect to improve many positions through FA and the draft, then the players who previously started are now quality depth. With starting experience.

Every team would love to be two starters deep at every position. That rarely happens in today's NFL. If three or four last years starting O linemen are on the bench, that's decent depth IMO. Same with Vaughn, Powers, and Butler.

We don't have the best depth but doesn't mean we can't make a super bowl run with overall improvement from each part of our team. I mean the Ravens didn't have the best team on paper and look what they did...

I do though think that it will take 2-3 years until we can actually be like top 3 super bowl favorites instead of just the sleeper team. 

I think maybe the point is that we have a number of players who played significant minutes last year who will most likely end up contributing as reserves/special teamers this year because we add (draft of FA) or get back injured starters at OL, DL, and DB. So we will have players on the roster who have played significant minutes in the past and will not be asked to play significant minutes barring injury. That is depth.

We aren't deep at OLB, so I also expect a significant move there (FA or early draft) and I'm a little perplexed about the WR corps. I don't see it as a weak area but also don't see RW's replacement on the roster and I think that is a need to fill, which would then make the WR position have solid depth.

I think maybe the point is that we have a number of players who played significant minutes last year who will most likely end up contributing as reserves/special teamers this year because we add (draft of FA) or get back injured starters at OL, DL, and DB. So we will have players on the roster who have played significant minutes in the past and will not be asked to play significant minutes barring injury. That is depth.

We aren't deep at OLB, so I also expect a significant move there (FA or early draft) and I'm a little perplexed about the WR corps. I don't see it as a weak area but also don't see RW's replacement on the roster and I think that is a need to fill, which would then make the WR position have solid depth.

Thank you. I'll say you have good comprehension. It's better than admitting I can't get a point across.

Totally agree, rush LB has little depth even if we pick up someone. There is no RW replacement yet. Several good #2s or potential on the roster.

Luck can turn a good receiver into a great one, so a third rounder could be the next #1. Colston, Wallace, Jennings, even Vincent Jackson, all #1 guys who weren't first round selections but benefited from having a great QB.

As long as you're great at key positions, then you can get by with adequate players in the other positions.  That's kind of what we were able to do this year.  We have the QB and LT, 2 of the linchpins.  Vontae might be the CB that is so important.  I view a top notch pass rusher as the next most important.  Actually, ahead of CB.  

As long as you're great at key positions, then you can get by with adequate players in the other positions. That's kind of what we were able to do this year. We have the QB and LT, 2 of the linchpins. Vontae might be the CB that is so important. I view a top notch pass rusher as the next most important. Actually, ahead of CB.

I tend to agree. The more pressure you out on the cb the less time the CB's have to cover. Making their job easier. But with lock down corners would allow our rush to get to the qb also.

As long as you're great at key positions, then you can get by with adequate players in the other positions. That's kind of what we were able to do this year. We have the QB and LT, 2 of the linchpins. Vontae might be the CB that is so important. I view a top notch pass rusher as the next most important. Actually, ahead of CB.

I tend to agree with u a good pass rush can make any corner look good when qbs have all day to throw its like pitch an catch of the cover 2 days , I wonder what could have bin some times if we had a normal 4-3 d maybe some of them runs by chargers might be stopped

I don'y buy into the WR Depth. I'm not saying we need a big name FA WR, but Outside of Reggie and T.Y. I'm not sold on our corps.

I don'y buy into the WR Depth. I'm not saying we need a big name FA WR, but Outside of Reggie and T.Y. I'm not sold on our corps.

i think lavon brazill can be really good. we just signed jeremy kelley who is 6'6, so if he comes on... watch out. as for right now, you are right. we only have 2 proven players at the receiver spot. But i think we have some hidden gems at that position.

I don't think the offense we will be running needs a ton of wr depth. I think we will see a lot more 2 te sets maybe 3 wr sets at times. What I don't want to see is all that empty backfield crap BA used to run. I mean seriously, at least make the d guess what we'll do

i think lavon brazill can be really good. we just signed jeremy kelley who is 6'6, so if he comes on... watch out. as for right now, you are right. we only have 2 proven players at the receiver spot. But i think we have some hidden gems at that position.

Who do you consider the second guy?  It sounds like Pep wants to keep Avery, we'll see.  He definitely needs to work on his hands. I think TY gives us everything he does, and better, so he's expendable IMO.

Who do you consider the second guy? It sounds like Pep wants to keep Avery, we'll see. He definitely needs to work on his hands. I think TY gives us everything he does, and better, so he's expendable IMO.

I agree, Avery's money would be better spent elsewhere. I think Wayne, Ty and brazil will be fine. Factor in the young guys for depth. But the X factors will be our te's. I look for them to be used more

I agree, Avery's money would be better spent elsewhere. I think Wayne, Ty and brazil will be fine. Factor in the young guys for depth. But the X factors will be our te's. I look for them to be used more

Agree, but apparently Pep likes what Avery brings to the table.  You make a good point about the TEs.  It's a position that we have very little depth, if any at all.  Two young guys who both may turn out to be stars, and not much after that.

I don't think the offense we will be running needs a ton of wr depth. I think we will see a lot more 2 te sets maybe 3 wr sets at times. What I don't want to see is all that empty backfield crap BA used to run. I mean seriously, at least make the d guess what we'll do

Exactly. Which is why I don't understand why people are downplaying our WR core. This is gonna be the type of Offense that's heavy running, & play action passes. 2 TE Sets will only let you have 2 WR's & 1 RB. Or 3 WR's & no RB if my math is correct lol. This is the kind of offense where we'll only need maybe 4 WR's. But luckily we have like 5 or 6

I don't know if we really know the true depth of our roster yet. Doesn't that take time? When healthy I think we have some great starters, and then some that simply get us by, but all around I think we have some high potential players who rarely see the field. How good is Brazill if he played every down? When healthy, what is the value of Josh Chapman or Ben Ijalana? There are so many questions about so many players who have yet to even play a full season in these schemes. How can we know how deep our roster really goes?

We definitely don't have the depth of some other teams, but I like where we're headed.

I don't know if we really know the true depth of our roster yet. Doesn't that take time? When healthy I think we have some great starters, and then some that simply get us by, but all around I think we have some high potential players who rarely see the field. How good is Brazill if he played every down? When healthy, what is the value of Josh Chapman or Ben Ijalana? There are so many questions about so many players who have yet to even play a full season in these schemes. How can we know how deep our roster really goes?

We definitely don't have the depth of some other teams, but I like where we're headed.

I know I wasn't very clear with the start of this thread. To boil it down, I'm saying that there are going to be a bunch of guys who started a lot of games being delegated to second team this season. They were good enough to start on an 11-5 team last year, but will be backups this year.

That's what I mean by good depth. Obviously that doesn't apply to all position.

You keep saying an 11-5 Team.

They played a LOT of BAD to Mediocre FB and beat a lot of bad Teams by less than a touchdown.

Yaaaaaaaa, and I wouldn`t trade that playoff game memory in Baltimore, No Way!

But YOUR 11-5 Team had a 5-11 Roster. And there are a LOT of players that started this season who are not guys who will be players you want as GOOD backups. No we won`t be able to get rid of all of them for next season, but after next season??

I know I wasn't very clear with the start of this thread. To boil it down, I'm saying that there are going to be a bunch of guys who started a lot of games being delegated to second team this season. They were good enough to start on an 11-5 team last year, but will be backups this year.

That's what I mean by good depth. Obviously that doesn't apply to all position.

Ahhh gotcha.

You keep saying an 11-5 Team.They played a LOT of BAD to Mediocre FB and beat a lot of bad Teams by less than a touchdown.Yaaaaaaaa, and I wouldn`t trade that playoff game memory in Baltimore, No Way!But YOUR 11-5 Team had a 5-11 Roster. And there are a LOT of players that started this season who are not guys who will be players you want as GOOD backups. No we won`t be able to get rid of all of them for next season, but after next season??

Sorry, an 11-5 team is an 11-5 team with an 11-5 roster. You are your record. NFL fact.

Sorry, an 11-5 team is an 11-5 team with an 11-5 roster. You are your record. NFL fact.

With 3 home wins over playoff teams too......road games are the issue to work on and when we really got exposed with our inexperience and youth at times I felt.

And if you want to get really technical then this 11-5 "fluff" team lost to the Baltimore Ravens. The same Baltimore Ravens who beat the heavily favored 13-3 Broncos and the 12-4 Patriots. And honestly I don't want to get into the "well the Broncos had the lead in the end before the secondary blew it" too. A loss is a loss.

I just think to this day still.......some are trying to grasp that this team won as many games as it did last year and how it happened.. When I browse various forums/articles I still don't think people take us truly seriously. Maybe as a "cute" potential playoff team again but there are still going to be heavy doubts out there until we do it again, which is fine and understandable.

I don't feel this Colts team was a fluke. There is talent/leadership/brains and it starts with our new QB and HC.

With 3 home wins over playoff teams too......road games are the issue to work on and when we really got exposed with our inexperience and youth at times I felt.

And if you want to get really technical then this 11-5 "fluff" team lost to the Baltimore Ravens. The same Baltimore Ravens who beat the heavily favored 13-3 Broncos and the 12-4 Patriots. And honestly I don't want to get into the "well the Broncos had the lead in the end before the secondary blew it" too. A loss is a loss.

I just think to this day still.......some are trying to grasp that this team won as many games as it did last year and how it happened.. When I browse various forums/articles I still don't think people take us truly seriously. Maybe as a "cute" potential playoff team again but there are still going to be heavy doubts out there until we do it again, which is fine and understandable.

I don't feel this Colts team was a fluke. There is talent/leadership/brains and it starts with our new QB and HC.

Talent/wins begin with our QB, our HC, a decent center, & a great offensive line. Success in the NFL begins & ends with protection upfront & very few QB sacks IMO. 

I think our Depth is "Decent" but we surely aren't the 49ers

But I think we're in better shape than some give us credit for. No team can have perfect depth in this day and age of the salary cap, you just have to try and get hungry guys that always give 100%.

We might not be the 49ers, but we're also not as far as one might think. 4-5 impact players could get us to the super bowl.