Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

TY Hilton in the WCO

BProland85

Randall Cobb is a nice comparison. I think we'll see more short passes to TY and let him do his thing, rather than always throwing it deep to him. Expect him to get a lot of deep PA shots, though.

I agree I think we'll see some screens go his way and on occasion he will get his chance to double move the defense and go long. Other than that he could be used in the slot often.

I think lots of screens and trying to isolate him on drag plays where he can explode on the open field....and the occational deep PA

cant remember what game was, but Dan fouts was the commentator i think, colts were on home and took a simple 4 yard pass from Luck into like 30 yards..i see more of those coming

I see him catching passes from #12. People need to dump the term WCO...that is overly generic and true WCO don't really exist anymore

Thanks BloodontheT.  If I'm not mistaken the so called WCO or the short quick passing route was born/created in the mid-west by Bill Walsh.  Can't remember if it was Cleveland or Cincinnati but Coach Walsh took it with him to Stanford and SF 49er's. 

I can't WAIT until we actually throw a pass to a RB!!

whoa-thumb.jpg

Is that one of the Jonas Brothers  :spit:

TY simply will get the ball in ANY place the Colts can to provide 'an open field.'  You will see the slants, dumps over the middle and as stated above the Play Action is key to disguising the running game....as well as opening even more space for Coby Fleener and Dwayne Allen.  Play action deep to Hilton and a WR to be named later....will be FUN!   :)

And yes Lolly.....we need to see those bubble screens....middle screens to Ballard/Brown/(Karim?) and see if we cannot break one.

I feel with the change of offense, our avg point total will go up approximately 10 points a game.  Why?  I feel that this will be a team whose goal is to make it across the 50 EVERY possession.  It should also keep the defense off guard with plays being called 2 at a time/scripted to go no huddle. Bootlegs and designed roll-outs keep the defense off-guard as well and once again open up the middle of the field for catch and runs.... You notice I did not use the term WCO.....:)  :pass:  :pass:  :pass:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :colts:  :colts:  :colts: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is that one of the Jonas Brothers  :spit:

TY simply will get the ball in ANY place the Colts can to provide 'an open field.'  You will see the slants, dumps over the middle and as stated above the Play Action is key to disguising the running game....as well as opening even more space for Coby Fleener and Dwayne Allen.  Play action deep to Hilton and a WR to be named later....will be FUN!   :)

And yes Lolly.....we need to see those bubble screens....middle screens to Ballard/Brown/(Karim?) and see if we cannot break one.

I feel with the change of offense, our avg point total will go up approximately 10 points a game.  Why?  I feel that this will be a team whose goal is to make it across the 50 EVERY possession.  It should also keep the defense off guard with plays being called 2 at a time/scripted to go no huddle. Bootlegs and designed roll-outs keep the defense off-guard as well and once again open up the middle of the field for catch and runs.... You notice I did not use the term WCO..... :)  :pass:  :pass:  :pass:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :colts:  :colts:  :colts: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I might be one of the few people who think that Donald Brown will actually benefit from this change in offense. He's our best pass catcher out of the backfield.

I might be one of the few people who think that Donald Brown will actually benefit from this change in offense. He's our best pass catcher out of the backfield.

I mentioned Donald (he has never been my favorite) just because no matter what ANY of us say, when HEALTHY he is DANGEROUS in the open field.  Yes he has dropped passes.  Yes Ballard has dropped passes....(Avery anyone?  TY dropped his share too)

If you are practicing every day.....catches should become (SHOULD BECOME) instinct.....Fun stuff to me for debate...possible deals, draft, FA or none of the above :)

Edited by BrentMc11

If they run the old SF style of the WCO, I have a twist I wouldn't mind seeing occasionally..Since that Offense uses RB and FB, have Ballard move up to FB position, and have TY line up at the tailback position moving in motion from the slot to tailback behind Ballard... Either use him as a diversion for a swing or screen pass, or actually dump it off and let him do what he does best..I'm not saying all the time, but maybe 3-5 times a game...That would really throw a defense off...With his speed and elusiveness, he would have to draw some extra attention, and possibly open up someone else for a big gain...

Just my 2 cents..

Thanks BloodontheT.  If I'm not mistaken the so called WCO or the short quick passing route was born/created in the mid-west by Bill Walsh.  Can't remember if it was Cleveland or Cincinnati but Coach Walsh took it with him to Stanford and SF 49er's. 

That's correct.  It was created by Bill Walsh to help utilize Joe Montana's skills.  Montana didn't have a cannon arm, so they used the WCO to run a lot of short passing routes to get the ball into the hands of their playmakers.  The offense was created because they could not run a more vertical offense, but today's WCO has lots of different things, including many deep routes.

That's correct.  It was created by Bill Walsh to help utilize Joe Montana's skills.  Montana didn't have a cannon arm, so they used the WCO to run a lot of short passing routes to get the ball into the hands of their playmakers.  The offense was created because they could not run a more vertical offense, but today's WCO has lots of different things, including many deep routes.

Walsh actually developed it in Cincinnati because they didn't have a running game

Walsh actually developed it in Cincinnati because they didn't have a running game

I thought he developed it in San Fran.  My mistake.  Thanks for clearing that up!

If memory serves me right, Coach Walsh took the Oakland verticle passing game (go long) to Cinnci but did not have the personnel at Cinnci so he shortened the routes.  He then took his new concept to Stanford then to the 49er's.

If memory serves me right, Coach Walsh took the Oakland verticle passing game (go long) to Cinnci but did not have the personnel at Cinnci so he shortened the routes.  He then took his new concept to Stanford then to the 49er's.

That makes a lot of sense, knowing the personnel the Raiders had and how they loved their speedy WRs.  Thanks for the info!

I am not sure what you all think but I feel, TY in year 1, was far more refined in his route running than Randall Cobb comparatively in his rookie year. I expect great things out of TY in the second year.

You must've watched our games in Slow Motion. All I saw was a Blur running then catching the pass. I swear he's just too fast haha