Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2013 Draft

superrep1967

Nobody is 100% correct....

And Superman recently posted that he thought we'd all know about the possibility of any additional supplemental picks approx at the end of March....

So,  roughly 6 more weeks....

That's going to be interesting. They weigh the value of the FAs you lost against the ones you picked up. I guess Garçon and Tamme were our biggest losses, right?

(Peyton was released, so he doesn't count in that calculation?)

Add Phillip Wheeler, Jeff Saturday, Dan Orlovsky and, I think, Jerome Felton to the list of free agents the team choose not to resign rather than the ones that were cut. In addition, Mike Pollack made the Panthers and Jamal Anderson made the Bengals but but went on IR early in the season. 

We keep that 7th because of some type of playing time clause or maybe because Lloyd did not stay on the team

got you i found it. "The Eagles traded LB Moise Fokou and LB Greg Lloyd to Indianapolis for

CB Kevin Thomas and a conditional pick.  For the Eagles to receive the

conditional pick, both Fokou and Lloyd had to make the Colts’ roster.

Lloyd did not, so the Eagles will not receive the conditional pick."

so... what do you guys think about drafting tyraan mathieu. personally i would love it if we drafted this guy. i just saw some highlights on him and he plays like a MONSTER. but there is risk since he didn't play the 2012 season.

Way too many off the field issues for my taste.  If it was just one I would be open to it because anyone makes a mistake but it takes a lot more than one mistake to pretty get kicked off a football program like LSU if you are one of the stars of the team.  Even since then his name keeps popping up with him having issues.  I don't think he has his head screwed on straight and while he has an amazing talent I am just not sure he has it between the ears. 

so... what do you guys think about drafting tyraan mathieu. personally i would love it if we drafted this guy. i just saw some highlights on him and he plays like a MONSTER. but there is risk since he didn't play the 2012 season.

that is the worst thing to mention on this site, a lot of colts fans dont like him and dont want to " waste " a pick on him especially one in particular who i will not mention any names lol. so that seems to not be a safe name to throw up on here. 

Way too many off the field issues for my taste.  If it was just one I would be open to it because anyone makes a mistake but it takes a lot more than one mistake to pretty get kicked off a football program like LSU if you are one of the stars of the team.  Even since then his name keeps popping up with him having issues.  I don't think he has his head screwed on straight and while he has an amazing talent I am just not sure he has it between the ears. 

if you havent noticed the whole NFL is no saint. somebody has issues off field reguardless. guess we shouldnt resign McAfee because he was busted for being to drunk. im just saying is all. people make mistakes, does not mean their not worth a late round pick. 

if you havent noticed the whole NFL is no saint. somebody has issues off field reguardless. guess we shouldnt resign McAfee because he was busted for being to drunk. im just saying is all. people make mistakes, does not mean their not worth a late round pick.

You are right... Everyone makes mistakes, and nobody is perfect (especially in a culture like the NFL). However...

It isn't the mistakes we make, but what we do after making the mistakes, that defines who we are, and shows the depth of our character.

McAfee has made mistakes, but has shown humility and class in response. Can the same be said for Mathieu?

You are right... Everyone makes mistakes, and nobody is perfect (especially in a culture like the NFL). However...

It isn't the mistakes we make, but what we do after making the mistakes, that defines who we are, and shows the depth of our character.

McAfee has made mistakes, but has shown humility and class in response. Can the same be said for Mathieu?

I'd be more concerned about his size and how long he'd last before being injured. Unless he's only going to be a returner, then he's not in the conversation as an early round pick for us IMO.

If Grigson wants to use a late round pick if he falls there like Chapmen did in the 5th last year because of his knee issue and take a chance then yes it would be worth it. Colts have too many needs for non issue talented players early picks than waste it on a talented player with issues. I trust Grigson on his instincts.

Colts got back the 6th pick because Davis didn't meet the playing time requirement, but that's the norm pretty much and some trade instances that has a extra draft pick in a later round based on playing time a player is need more and plays and since the Colts are up and coming, but still a year or 2 away from true competition with better teams and Colts had another player to fill in and he was benched with an injury just enough to get that pick back from the trade deal, Colts need all the picks we can get and or keep and once that playing requirement was up he went back into playing...

that is the worst thing to mention on this site, a lot of colts fans dont like him and dont want to " waste " a pick on him especially one in particular who i will not mention any names lol. so that seems to not be a safe name to throw up on here. 

I would suggest that a player with some significant character issues is more a concern that posters not wanting him, so I don't get your little rant......seems a little misplaced.....

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see us trade out of our 1st. Not a great first round at all.

I've seen two schools of thought on that lately. One is that there's not a lot of separation in talent and value between the 10th best guy in the draft and the 30th best, so if you can trade out of 10 or 15 to later in the first and get a couple extra picks, you'll get more players for less money.

The other is that the relatively low cost of the late first rounders (24th pick will be about an $8m contract with about a $1.5m contract) renders the money moot. And since there isn't a big difference between the 10th best and the 30th best, you could potentially be getting a guy with top ten potential (for this draft, at least) for the price of a late first rounder. Anticipation is that some teams in the first round will be drafting for need rather than for best player, especially teams like the Jets, Panthers, Saints, etc., who are up against the cap. So while Barkevious Mingo is expected to be a top ten pick, his teammate Sam Montgomery is expected to be a late first rounder, and there's really not that much difference between the two. There's a lot of value at the end of the first round this year.

I've seen two schools of thought on that lately. One is that there's not a lot of separation in talent and value between the 10th best guy in the draft and the 30th best, so if you can trade out of 10 or 15 to later in the first and get a couple extra picks, you'll get more players for less money.

The other is that the relatively low cost of the late first rounders (24th pick will be about an $8m contract with about a $1.5m contract) renders the money moot. And since there isn't a big difference between the 10th best and the 30th best, you could potentially be getting a guy with top ten potential (for this draft, at least) for the price of a late first rounder. Anticipation is that some teams in the first round will be drafting for need rather than for best player, especially teams like the Jets, Panthers, Saints, etc., who are up against the cap. So while Barkevious Mingo is expected to be a top ten pick, his teammate Sam Montgomery is expected to be a late first rounder, and there's really not that much difference between the two. There's a lot of value at the end of the first round this year.

Especially in pass rushers.

What about using our 1st round pick and maybe a second from next year to get Revis from the Jets. Need to get contract worked out but this would solidify our CBs, Revis #1 , Davis # 2.

It's not just the draft picks you have to give up....  it's also the contract Revis wants from his new team....

$100 Million plus....

Sorry....   I love Revis....  he's the best....   but he's now coming off a knee injury...   an 8-year deal for $100 Million is way too rich for my blood....

I agree not at that price, I knew he wanted a big contract but I did not know he is looking that big.

The way other teams are dumping players I'm sure Grigson will be able to get us some servicable players for our secondary and other areas for a more respectable numbers.

Not even close to what I was saying...

In fact in my post I said had he just had an one off the field issue I wouldn't have an issue with it.  Heck even two wouldn't be that bad depending on what they were and could easily be chalked up to a college kid probably doing something stupid.  However, if you are a star player at a program like LSU you don't get kicked off the team for making one mistake.  On top of that since being kicked off the team he keeps making poor choices.  It's not just a one time thing with him.  While everyone is entitled to mess up now and then again at some point if someone keeps doing it then it becomes a pattern of behavior. 

McAfee's situation is not the same as what I was talking about.  Again Pat made A mistake as in one.  When Pat made that mistake he didn't follow it up with a bunch of poor choices right after it either. 

Based on what has been reported about the honey badger there seems to be a pattern of behavior with him that would make me think really hard about drafting him.  With that said clearly Grigson is going to have more information about him than me or anyone else on this message board will about him so if he takes a chance on him I am going to assume he feel it is worth the risk and I am not going to question it. 

Again if this was all about talent I would say take him in a heart beat but it's not there are some real off the field issues that have to be factored in here.

Also worth mentioning the majority of players in the NFL don't have off the field issues and even fewer get arrested.  I would argue most of the players in the NFL are well behaved and while they might not be saints the vast majority of the players in the NFL have never been arrested and the ones that are do cause teams to think twice about that player before they bring them in. 

agreed. I watched posted a video on here about a month ago about how Mathieu has been training with former teammate Patrick Peterson. He wants to be ready for the draft and Peterson seems determined to put him on the right track. For the right pick I'd take Mathieu.

What about using our 1st round pick and maybe a second from next year to get Revis from the Jets. Need to get contract worked out but this would solidify our CBs, Revis #1 , Davis # 2.

No way... If Defense DL, DB, S, and O-Line are the ONLY priorities, then we could get real lucky in the draft. Save he cap space for 2014. Who knows...we could go big boy in the draft;

1. ANSAH-DE,

3. WILLIAMS-DT,

4. GEATHERS-NT.

5. MOTTA-SS

6. EVANS-FS

7. Wing-P

FA needs: DB, OL, OLB

FA

Killeen (OLB/DE)Kelley (WR)Seattle (S)Kruger (DL), Baker or Levitre or Vasquez (OL)

I wouldn't waste a pick on Mathieu. The guy has the off the field issue and also his size is a problem. He is what 5'8, 5'9, a little under 200 lbs? That is WAY to small for a corner back.

And some people might say," well Bob Sanders was 5'8" but Bob was tenacious and I just don't see the same kind of tenacity from Mathieu. If he goes undrafted which could happen, I would like to pick him up as a UDFA.

I wouldn't waste a pick on Mathieu. The guy has the off the field issue and also his size is a problem. He is what 5'8, 5'9, a little under 200 lbs? That is WAY to small for a corner back.

And some people might say," well Bob Sanders was 5'8" but Bob was tenacious and I just don't see the same kind of tenacity from Mathieu. If he goes undrafted which could happen, I would like to pick him up as a UDFA.

I'd take a chance on him as a strong safety if he was still there in the 6th.  I don't think he will be, but when we are talking about the 6th and 7th round, those players often get cut from the team during training camp anyways.  So it's not a big waste if you grab a player that has that boom/bust factor to him.

That is of course if he shows up to the combine in shape.  

I'd take a chance on him as a strong safety if he was still there in the 6th.  I don't think he will be, but when we are talking about the 6th and 7th round, those players often get cut from the team during training camp anyways.  So it's not a big waste if you grab a player that has that boom/bust factor to him.

That is of course if he shows up to the combine in shape.  

Strong safety? A guy of his size and no experience at that position?

More than likely he will go undrafted, no need to waste a pick on a guy who will go undrafted or even if he does get drafted, will get cut anyway, as you say.

Strong safety? A guy of his size and no experience at that position?

More than likely he will go undrafted, no need to waste a pick on a guy who will go undrafted or even if he does get drafted, will get cut anyway, as you say.

It would be no big deal.  Corners that don't work out get moved to safety all the time.  Especially ones who might not have great man to man coverage skills but tackle well in space.  

I see Mathieu as a boom/bust type of guy.  If he goes to a team, shows that his size doesn't matter (and guys have done that in the past.),focuses on football, and stays off drugs. . . the guy could be a pro-bowl player.  If he doesn't do those things and/or his size proves too much an issue, then he sucks and gets cut.  

Now because of that boom potential, if he's still sitting there in the 6th round (where it doesn't really hurt you if he gets cut anyways), you have to take that chance.  Because if he does boom, you just used a 6th rounder on a pro-bowler.  If he doesn't, then oh well, 6th rounders get cut all the time anyways.

I don't think he'll go UFA. . . Honestly i don't think he'll fall to the 6th round.  A team that likes to roll the dice a little more then I do will take him on the 2nd day.