Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

One area I'm going to be especially interested in is Fullback

theanarchist

Its been a long while since we've had a real blocking back. It sounds like with Hamilton coming in as OC he will want to have a big back in there to lead block. I like that. Old school football is what I like. I realize this isn't going to be the steelers of the 70's but if we are going to become a real west coast offense I loved the days of roger craig and Tom Rathman. I'd like to know what other fans think about this and who they think the team might bring in at fullback. A drafted player or a veteran free agent?

Saunders at ~270lbs would be interesting at FB. I thought he did fairly well when he was in as the blocking TE and also looks to have decent hands. I think he's a guy that we should consider at the spot so we can use Allen along with Fleener in the passing game. I look for Fleener and Allen to have very GOOD years next year with this new offense.

Saunders at ~270lbs would be interesting at FB. I thought he did fairly well when he was in as the blocking TE and also looks to have decent hands. I think he's a guy that we should consider at the spot so we can use Allen along with Fleener in the passing game. I look for Fleener and Allen to have very GOOD years next year with this new offense.

I agree, and like you said, Saunders did well on short and intermediate routes when called upon as well so he could block from the FB position and release on short routes to give Luck an outlet when necessary as well.

Good point Anarchist:  I read it will more than likely be a fullback....traditional.

I might be wrong, but having a traditional fullback that knows the holes....knows how to blast, and can also be that extra blocker Luck has sorely missed.....we might have something here...  I am not up on fullbacks.  You guys know some good ones available?

I wish Carter had it in him.....he is a one back guy....we need a brawler :)

You guys don't think Carter could play FB?

I think he would have to vastly improve his blocking Iron Colt.  I have been one of his biggest backers...even through the fumbles.  He is in serious jeopardy of not making the roster at all.  He is used to being the featured back in a one back set...

His injury bug only hurt him, and there HAS GOT to be something we do not know...I really thought we had someone.  He must not do so well in the meeting rooms or something....I was one of his biggest fans.  Here is some old video of him at Syracuse...I am disappointed he has not been better...

I sent this just for the video....not for the infamous Bleacher Report....

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/681588-delone-carter-to-indianapolis-colts-2011-nfl-draft-scouting-report

Personally I think we'll se a undrafted FA come in or maybe a late round selection for Fullback. I don't think that Hamilton is going to use a TE to play Fullback. He's going to want a battering ram type player. I don't think we have one on the roster. A lot of the options you guys mention are good ideas but i just get the feeling we're going to bring someone in. True fullbacks are a dying breed and they typically don't have value in the draft so getting a good one late or as an undrafted free agent is very possible.

I AM willing to give the man a shot.....I like him!  5'9...238.....needs to learn to block AS a fullback...

Yeah, I agree with that. He should be able to pick it up though if they concentrated their efforts on teaching him. I like the guy and he is one stout dude.

Personally I think we'll se a undrafted FA come in or maybe a late round selection for Fullback. I don't think that Hamilton is going to use a TE to play Fullback. He's going to want a battering ram type player. I don't think we have one on the roster. A lot of the options you guys mention are good ideas but i just get the feeling we're going to bring someone in. True fullbacks are a dying breed and they typically don't have value in the draft so getting a good one late or as an undrafted free agent is very possible.

We have Robert Hughes on the roster and he's signed for 2 more seasons I believe so they obviously see something in him.

Guys, I just wanted to let you know I have really enjoyed the posts today.  I wanted to give more likes....and quite frankly do not know how I am out of them.  Good comments everyone....need to get on with the day....

I would be happy as a 'witch in a broom factory' if Carter could be our guy....and play like I thought he could coming out of Syracuse!!!  :)

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

I'll be surprised if we line up very often with a FB in the back-field.  Hughes or Carter can do the roll...such as it is.

Some else mentioned 2 / 3 TE sets with a FB ???  Are you planning on dumping the wideouts? 

That formation is only gonna be happening in goal line situations.  If you have 3 TE's / 1 FB / 1 RB on the field....that leaves 0 WR's...and if you have a FB and 2 TE's that leaves you with 1 WR.

The base offense this team runs will still be mostly 3 WR / 1 RB / 1 TE or 2 WR /1RB / 2 TE (with Fleener having the ability to split out wide as needed).

I'll be surprised if we line up very often with a FB in the back-field.  Hughes or Carter can do the roll...such as it is.

Some else mentioned 2 / 3 TE sets with a FB ???  Are you planning on dumping the wideouts? 

That formation is only gonna be happening in goal line situations.  If you have 3 TE's / 1 FB / 1 RB on the field....that leaves 0 WR's...and if you have a FB and 2 TE's that leaves you with 1 WR.

The base offense this team runs will still be mostly 3 WR / 1 RB / 1 TE or 2 WR /1RB / 2 TE (with Fleener having the ability to split out wide as needed).

I agree. I believe we'll utilize 2 TE sets more often next season and Fleener will be targeted more too. Fleener IMO is more of a big WR than he is a TE anyway. Fleener will never be much of a blocker IMO and with his speed and athleticism he can line up outside or even out of the slot.

I'm willing to bet we won't even take/get a FB in the draft or free agency, and if we do he won't even make the 53 man roster.

Interesting take. Not saying your wrong just an interesting prediction. I definitely think that if Pep is gonna run something similar to what he ran at Stanford he needs a true FB. Not that they'll lineup with a FB every play but if you want a true power run game you need a FB that can really block like a traditional FB and you need a front line that is big. I also look for us to add some size up front. BIG guards that can also move.

We are not going to use are tight ends as fullbacks because they will be used in 2-3 tight end sets with a fullback

there is no way for any of us to know that.  Stanford had the personnel for those types of formations but we do not.  I'd hope that Pep has the ability to adapt the offense to the strength of our personnel.  

I do agree we will probably see more 2 TE sets and maybe even 3 TE sets from time to time, and not necessarily restricted to goal line situations.  However, if we're in a 3 TE set I'd be willing to bet we'll likely still have 1 WR and only the HB on the field at the time.  I wouldn't be opposed to using a heavy power formation though from time to time with Saunders, Allen and Fleener at TE, Carter or Hughes at FB and Ballard or Carter at HB.  I don't think we'll use this type of formation a lot though.

Interesting take. Not saying your wrong just an interesting prediction. I definitely think that if Pep is gonna run something similar to what he ran at Stanford he needs a true FB. Not that they'll lineup with a FB every play but if you want a true power run game you need a FB that can really block like a traditional FB and you need a front line that is big. I also look for us to add some size up front. BIG guards that can also move.

People thought Arians would bring in a true fullback and that didn't happen. Jim Harbaugh uses former tight end Bruce Miller and Delanie Walker as his fullback otherwise he just runs out of multiple tight end sets. And I didn't watch to much of Stanford probably watched two full games but #85 Ryan Hewitt is who Pep Hamilton used as his fullback. That dude is a tight end who just got plugged in as the fullback/h-back so Pep could find a way to get his playmakers on the field in my opinion since the tight end position was stacked at Stanford. But Hewitt finished 3rd on the team in receptions and reading sites like WalterFootball and others they say Hewitt could move tk tight end in the NFL, which leads me to believe Dwayne Allen would still be lined up everywhere just like he was this year. I don't see Pep using a true fullback here because he didn't use a true fullback at Stanford. But what do I know, I'm just one man's opinion.

People thought Arians would bring in a true fullback and that didn't happen. Jim Harbaugh uses former tight end Bruce Miller and Delanie Walker as his fullback otherwise he just runs out of multiple tight end sets. And I didn't watch to much of Stanford probably watched two full games but #85 Ryan Hewitt is who Pep Hamilton used as his fullback. That dude is a tight end who just got plugged in as the fullback/h-back so Pep could find a way to get his playmakers on the field in my opinion since the tight end position was stacked at Stanford. But Hewitt finished 3rd on the team in receptions and reading sites like WalterFootball and others they say Hewitt could move tk tight end in the NFL, which leads me to believe Dwayne Allen would still be lined up everywhere just like he was this year. I don't see Pep using a true fullback here because he didn't use a true fullback at Stanford. But what do I know, I'm just one man's opinion.

i think they used a true fullback in 2010/11 if I'm not mistaken