Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jake Long

IndyTrav

Long is reportedly asking for at least $10mil annually in the up coming free agent market.

For a point if reference. Car Nicks the best OL available last year signed with TB for 5yrs $47.5mil.....he is a guard.

Do we as Colts fans feel this price is too high?

Me personally I feel it is.

It's salty, but Long's an All-Pro LT in his prime. You wanna play, you gotta pay. 

We're going to have to spend the vast majority of our free cap space one way or the other. If Grigs feels that's the best way to use it, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I know this much- our medical staff better be 110% on the ball for that evaluation.

We're going to be making at least one veteran O-line addition in the offseason. Jake Long had an off year last year, but he's still a heck of a player if he's healthy. And that's the key to the whole thing. A healthy Jake Long is absolutely worth $10 million a year. An injured one doesn't do us any good. 

I don't see how a person can demand that much & no one knows if he'll still play at a good level. Arm Injuries as a lineman are pretty significant seeing as how you need your arms as part of blocking

that most important aspect of a o-lineman is footwork. you can be the strongest guy in the world, but if you got bad feet defenders will get right by you

Took a look at his cap hit this year and 10Mil ... is less than his cap hit was this year.

He'll get the $10M from someone if he passes their physical.  But Miami may franchise him anyway.  Not too many LTs of his caliber are let go.

I'm not saying I want him, I'd rather go with several very good Gs and a decent RT. 

that most important aspect of a o-lineman is footwork. you can be the strongest guy in the world, but if you got bad feet defenders will get right by you

Very true.  That's why guys who are quick on their feet and great pass blockers may not be the best road pavers.  That's also why guys like Long and the elite LTs will get those $10M/year contracts.

He'll get the $10M from someone if he passes their physical.  But Miami may franchise him anyway.  Not too many LTs of his caliber are let go.

I'm not saying I want him, I'd rather go with several very good Gs and a decent RT. 

I agree. Luck been very good in the pocket and with his awareness to move in the pocket, the G position is more of a need than pressing to sign the top flight tackle.

Long has been pretty bad the last couple years and has proven to be injury prone. I would not be comfortable paying him $10 million per year. Maybe give him a 2 year $15 million that can turn into 5 year $45 million with an option at the end of the year if he plays well.

I view our OT situation this way....

Anthony Costanzo is making 8m for 4 years on his rookie contract. If Grigson were to draft an OT at #24 to either plug in at LT....moving Costanzo to RT....or just as a RT, we'll probably spend just 8-9m for THAT player for his entire 4 year deal.

With the new rookie cap that began 2 years ago....Jake Long may very well need to come off of that 10m per year price tag,  with the reasonably deep OT draft class we have this year. Heck....even Luke Joeckel, who has a decent shot at the #1 overall selection will only get a 22-24m deal for 4 years.

IMO....Jake Long simply does NOT command 10m per year based on performance, and especially given the supply of OTs in free agency and the draft.

It's a buyer's market and Cincy and Cleveland, the only 2 teams with more cap space than us are set at LT....with Miami next highest behind us....and it sounds like he's through with the Dolphins.

We're in a good position and need not break the bank for a LT/RT, whichever way Grigson and Pagano plan to go.

I'd be a buyer at 5-6m a year for Jake Long....no higher.

Yes he's worth 10 million a year. Remember the LT is pretty much the second highest paid player on the team. Everyone on here seems to want to low ball everyone and just screw them over. We don't want to get a reputation of "no don't talk to them they'll offer half your worth, stay away"

Miami drafted Martin last season plus has an extra second round pick they can easily "afford" to let him walk...     It would be in their best interest financially.  

Indy is going to over pay regardless of the players last name.

I'm not a fan. If Miami is letting him go, that should be a red flag.

I view our OT situation this way....

Anthony Costanzo is making 8m for 4 years on his rookie contract. If Grigson were to draft an OT at #24 to either plug in at LT....moving Costanzo to RT....or just as a RT, we'll probably spend just 8-9m for THAT player for his entire 4 year deal.

With the new rookie cap that began 2 years ago....Jake Long may very well need to come off of that 10m per year price tag,  with the reasonably deep OT draft class we have this year. Heck....even Luke Joeckel, who has a decent shot at the #1 overall selection will only get a 22-24m deal for 4 years.

IMO....Jake Long simply does NOT command 10m per year based on performance, and especially given the supply of OTs in free agency and the draft.

It's a buyer's market and Cincy and Cleveland, the only 2 teams with more cap space than us are set at LT....with Miami next highest behind us....and it sounds like he's through with the Dolphins.

We're in a good position and need not break the bank for a LT/RT, whichever way Grigson and Pagano plan to go.

I'd be a buyer at 5-6m a year for Jake Long....no higher.

OT and CB will be the HOTTEST commodities on the market this FA season.    Indy is not going to find a "good deal" out there.   I think Indy should just zero in on the OL they WANT and go get them.   Regardless of cost.    If haggle and wait around we will end up with another Winston Justice.     The good ones will go quick.    If Indy wants one or they will have to go out and get em.

I would take Long also but Irsay does not need to worry about getting a reputation as a penny pincher.    Irsay has no issue paying a player he wants...   or wants to keep.

Yes he's worth 10 million a year. Remember the LT is pretty much the second highest paid player on the team. Everyone on here seems to want to low ball everyone and just screw them over. We don't want to get a reputation of "no don't talk to them they'll offer half your worth, stay away"

It's salty, but Long's an All-Pro LT in his prime. You wanna play, you gotta pay. 

We're going to have to spend the vast majority of our free cap space one way or the other. If Grigs feels that's the best way to use it, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I know this much- our medical staff better be 110% on the ball for that evaluation.

We're going to be making at least one veteran O-line addition in the offseason. Jake Long had an off year last year, but he's still a heck of a player if he's healthy. And that's the key to the whole thing. A healthy Jake Long is absolutely worth $10 million a year. An injured one doesn't do us any good. 

Actually, Long is only prime by his age.... 27 right now.   But he's well past his prime based on performance.   He hasn't graded out that highly the past two years and has ended both seasons on the IR.    The view is his body is not holding up well.

He wants 'prime' money for 'past his prime' performance.    I want a great OL,  but I think I'd pass on Long....

OT and CB will be the HOTTEST commodities on the market this FA season.    Indy is not going to find a "good deal" out there.   I think Indy should just zero in on the OL they WANT and go get them.   Regardless of cost.    If haggle and wait around we will end up with another Winston Justice.     The good ones will go quick.    If Indy wants one or they will have to go out and get em.

I highly doubt that we will pursue Jake Long at 10m per season....Grigson has said that a prospective free agent has to represent a talent upgrade that justifies any huge salary increase we're going to lay out at a given position.

I'm not in favor of us bargain-basement shopping....but we've also overpaid in the past for injured/under performing players, which is what Jake Long has been.

And I know there are some knucklehead owners that would normally buoy Long's price tag...but there aren't many with need at LT AND the cap space to chase him with.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8822266/nfl-mailbag-carryover-rules-impact-cap-strategy

Agree. And the Colts have the money to go after what they want too realistically so be aggressive early with who you want.

BE. BE AGGRESSIVE. :cheer:  :cheer:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000131467/article/report-dolphins-jake-long-looking-for-10m-per-year

Long was considered the top tackle in the NFL at one point, but his play has slipped as he's been plagued with injuries. His run blocking is no longer near an elite level. Cleveland Brownstackle Joe Thomas his the highest paid tackle in the league with a eight-year, $92 million deal signed before the 2011 season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000131467/article/report-dolphins-jake-long-looking-for-10m-per-year

Long was considered the top tackle in the NFL at one point, but his play has slipped as he's been plagued with injuries. His run blocking is no longer near an elite level. Cleveland Brownstackle Joe Thomas his the highest paid tackle in the league with a eight-year, $92 million deal signed before the 2011 season.

That's exactly my point......do we want the LT version of Bob Sanders?

I don't trust "what ifs" at a 10m per year price tag.

I don't see how a person can demand that much & no one knows if he'll still play at a good level. Arm Injuries as a lineman are pretty significant seeing as how you need your arms as part of blocking
I say we spend 6 billion, trillion gablijillion smillion on Revis. Talk about a demand for $ for a guy coming off an ACL injury.

We should overpay Jake Long and Revis + give up all our draft picks, then trade them both to nowhere for Jamarcus Russell and bench Luck!!! That's the making of a championship caliber team.

I say we spend 6 billion, trillion gablijillion smillion on Revis. Talk about a demand for $ for a guy coming off an ACL injury.

We should overpay Jake Long and Revis + give up all our draft picks, then trade them both to nowhere for Jamarcus Russell and bench Luck!!! That's the making of a championship caliber team.

Well yeah, with his size, speed and arm strength he can clearly change the qb position in the nfl.

Especially with his recent injuries, and I guess struggles (he's not performing like himself), I think it would be best to look the other way.

10M is a big risk right there, and add in all the factors I just said, it's just too much.

Castonzo is the left tackle of the future in Indy, and I'd like to keep him at that spot instead of moving him around. 

Not that much for a top tackle in the NFL. I still think he's top three or five. I'd be more concerned with what kind of guaranteed money he wants in that contract. Five years, $50 million isn't outside the realm of reasonableness for his position, though. Joe Thomas got seven years, $84m. Jason Peters, six years, $61m. Trent Williams, six years, $60m. Jordan Gross, six years, $60m. And so on.

too much of our cap unless we back-load the contract (which is always a bad idea when you are dealing with injury concerns)... I recently read an article that basically stated that the market for FAs this year will be poor/cheap because teams are so strapped for cash and so many are looking for QBs and QB competition... this may bode well for us trying to grab some guys at a discount... I do think someone will pay Long, though... If he stays healthy, he is probably worth it to a team that is a franchise tackle away from a SB.. I just don't think it will/should be us at 10 mil per...  we should shop around a bit