Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jake Long

IndyTrav

I'm not a fan. If Miami is letting him go, that should be a red flag.

Miami is letting him go because he couldnt handle the type of offense they ran. which is the same kind of offense i think we will be running next year. ( may be wrong about that though) Miami switched offensive styles when they drafted tannehill and brought in Green Bay's old OC to be HC. 

Well yeah, with his size, speed and arm strength he can clearly change the qb position in the nfl.

Definitely, we could run the read option like no other. 300 lbs of brute force with a 40 time of 10-15 seconds and can bomb the ball for 142 yards.

One word, errr two words..

Game changing!!!!

Too much money for a guy with injury issues and coming off a terrible year.

you gotta also put into perspective that the offense they ran this past season was different from what long has been  custom to his NFL career. they switched it up when they brought in the new HC and OC and switched to a WC offense to suit tannehill better. (that being because sherman was tannehills coach at A&M.)

If we didn't need a guard or 2, a starter at CB or 2, a starting S, a starting OLB, and depth added all around I might be more willing to grab him... He will most likely play at a very high level for a 4 year contract..

Yeah, I don't think we need a left tackle. I'm okay with Castonzo there for now.

I agree. Luck been very good in the pocket and with his awareness to move in the pocket, the G position is more of a need than pressing to sign the top flight tackle.

I acree

G Brandon Moore NYJ Indiana native a lil long in the tooth at 33 ? could be a bargain & fill a need for a couple of years .

Just Draft Kyle Long from Oregon..better bloodlines, and a lot cheaper...He keeps getting better and better and will eventually be a stud..we don't need overpriced players. Should be available in round 3 or 4...

I don't think Long will be available at 88.

Offensive line runs deep in this years draft. I like long,Johnson,warmack, and that schwenke fella

there is nothing wrong with using the draft to address our oline as long as people understand it will probably not be the quick fix to our line problems. It will take a couple of years in all likely hood for those guys to grow and develop.

there is nothing wrong with using the draft to address our oline as long as people understand it will probably not be the quick fix to our line problems. It will take a couple of years in all likely hood for those guys to grow and develop.

Exactly. If you have a veteran line and you need to install a rookie as a starter at one position, the transition is easier. But you can't go out and draft 40-60% of your starting line in one year and expect high level play.

This is what free agency is for. When you've failed via the draft to acquire and develop talent over a period of several years (or injuries have stymied your efforts, and we've suffered from both over the last five-plus years), it's time to supplement your drafting with a signing or two. We have the cap space, and the team also saved cash last year (dead cap hits equal cash savings, and Irsay also avoided a $28m payment to Manning, so his cash-out was lower than usual last season).

We probably shouldn't sign Long, given the money he wants and the fact that he plays a position we don't have a particular need for. But we should sign a guard or two, or a guard and a right tackle.