Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We're not switching to a running first offense RIGHT?

AllYouNeedIsLuck

We haven't had a great back since Edge, I'm not knocking Vick Ballard who I think has potential, but I don't really see him as a great running back atleast yet. Why can't we ever find a guy like Alfred Morris drafted in the 6th round or an Arian Foster who wasn't even drafted, if we had a guy like that it would take so much pressure off of Luck. Does anyone actually think that griffin would have had the year he had if it wasn't for Morris being in the same backfield with him, if they do they need to get a brainscan ASAP! If Grigson can substantially upgrade our O-line in the offseason, maybe Ballard will fill the bill afterall.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We haven't had a great back since Edge, I'm not knocking Vick Ballard who I think has potential, but I don't really see him as a great running back atleast yet. Why can't we ever find a guy like Alfred Morris drafted in the 6th round or an Arian Foster who wasn't even drafted, if we had a guy like that it would take so much pressure off of Luck. Does anyone actually think that griffin would have had the year he had if it wasn't for Morris being in the same backfield with him, if they do they need to get a brainscan ASAP! If Grigson can substantially upgrade our O-line in the offseason, maybe Ballard will fill the bill afterall.
Put morris on the Colts and he doesn't run for a thousand yards. rg3+morris= good run game

They help each other out

Morris' success is the result of Mike Shanahan and his offense. Guys run wild EVERYWHERE he coaches.

I personally think a switch to Zone Blocking would be a better fit then this Man Blocking, all of our O Linemen were drafted specifically for that scheme with the exception of Anderson and who knows if he will ever see the field

@mchappell51: Hamilton: #colts will be physical with running game, have a variation of West Coast. Find ways to get ball into playmakers hands.

@pwilson24: #Colts' Pep Hamilton says it's premature to say how much offense will change. Needs to study what Colts did in 2012.

I personally think a switch to Zone Blocking would be a better fit then this Man Blocking, all of our O Linemen were drafted specifically for that scheme with the exception of Anderson and who knows if he will ever see the field

Who was? Castonzo maybe, but his main job is to protect luck..plus he did well run blocking this year.

@mchappell51: Hamilton: #colts will be physical with running game, have a variation of West Coast. Find ways to get ball into playmakers hands.

@pwilson24: #Colts' Pep Hamilton says it's premature to say how much offense will change. Needs to study what Colts did in 2012.

Good News, means that he will see that luck won games by throwing the ball deep.

Who was drafted into a Zone scheme? that what your asking?

Castonzo(Colts had ZBS when he was drafted)

Reitz((Signed as FA by Baltimore)

Olsen(Denver)

Satele(Miami)

Mcglynn(Philly)

Shipley(Steelers before there switch to Man)

Linkenbach(Colts undrafted)

Justice(Philly)

Hills(Steelers before there switch to Man)

Castonzo(Colts had ZBS when he was drafted)

Reitz((Signed as FA by Baltimore)

Olsen(Denver)

Satele(Miami)

Mcglynn(Philly)

Shipley(Steelers before there switch to Man)

Linkenbach(Colts undrafted)

Justice(Philly)

Hills(Steelers before there switch to Man)

Philly and the steelers were man teams when those guys were drafted

Marty M was in Philly then, Im almost positive they were Zone

I didn't think they switched to zone until Howard Mudd was hired...I thought I remembered reading stuff about them having to make the transition....but I could be wrong

Yes best thing for the Colts and Luck is that we will have a much bigger focus on the run. The one thing most fans dont want to see will be one of the biggest edges of our game next year. We will have the personal to run the ball next year and will take a lot of presure off of Luck and the D rather then asking Luck to be superman, I can see why PM covered up so many holes and we never saw how bad our team was without him because of us creating situations like this were we would ask Manning to do it all on his own. Can the man have some help please. I really dont understand why so many fans dont want a team that can run the ball at will. Is it because we are so use to this team being a pass heavy team, I mean how is it good for Luck to throw the ball 40 to 50 times a game, hell by the time we get to the playoffs how much gas will be left in the tank throwing that much every game. I mean its not rocket science, a good running game will help rather then hurt this team

Dear god, the man hasn't even moved to town yet. Can we let him develop his playbook, and impliment his offense and actually play a few games before we start quipping "OH NO! It's not BA's offense! The sky is FALLING!"

Can we see some results before we make assumptions? Is that asking too much?

^

I will add it is also January. A long ways away from the new season too. We will learn more by September........

And nobody is saying we will become the Vikings....not that we can anyway.

I think I had this same argument last offseason too at times. Yeah we all like Andrew to throw the ball. it looks nice and he looks good doing it and especially when it's a game winner.

BUT, we need to have some balance too if we want to become a serious SB contender some day instead of just a playoff contender. Anyone remember the 2006 Colts SB winning team? Yeah those guys ran the ball well in 4 straight games......and Peyton Manning still threw it. You can have your cake and eat it too. You can have your QB glory moments and also run the football.

I will also add this years New England Patriots have been incredibly balanced on offense as well......

There were some games this past season where Luck had to throw waaaaaaaaaaay too many times. We don't want his arm falling off by his third season. We had an exciting 2012 season but we need to become more balanced and less helter skelter as a team too if we want to really become a contender......

Yes best thing for the Colts and Luck is that we will have a much bigger focus on the run. The one thing most fans dont want to see will be one of the biggest edges of our game next year. We will have the personal to run the ball next year and will take a lot of presure off of Luck and the D rather then asking Luck to be superman, I can see why PM covered up so many holes and we never saw how bad our team was without him because of us creating situations like this were we would ask Manning to do it all on his own. Can the man have some help please. I really dont understand why so many fans dont want a team that can run the ball at will. Is it because we are so use to this team being a pass heavy team, I mean how is it good for Luck to throw the ball 40 to 50 times a game, hell by the time we get to the playoffs how much gas will be left in the tank throwing that much every game. I mean its not rocket science, a good running game will help rather then hurt this team

Love to have a good running game.  However, our current O line isn't accommodating to it at this time.  Grigson must make big improvements to allow Ballard and Brown room to work.  hopefully, the pass protection gets better at the same time.  If the RB's get hit behind or at the line, we will be looking 3rd and long far too often.

Per PFT...

Hamilton said he did plan to change the offense from what former coordinator and now-Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians installed, leaning toward more West Coast principles and away from the deep passing game Arians preferred. It’ll come with more of an emphasis on running the ball as well....“But I enjoy watching our guys just come off the ball, the guys up front, and trying to knock the opponent back. I’m a big believer of the power-running game and, . . . I think that ultimately opens up your passing game, the play-action passes.’’

:|

Looks like he mad a fool of me.

I dunno about it. I don't like the idea of the hardcore Stanford WCO. We certainly don't have the linemen for it currently. I think we need to use some WCO principals, but our strength is obviously the passing game. We've gathered the pieces to be a league leading passing team. I think we'd be better served avoiding the "run to set up the pass" philosophy and be a more "we're a great passing unit and we're going to impose that on you and break your back with our run".

:| Looks like he mad a fool of me. I dunno about it. I don't like the idea of the hardcore Stanford WCO. We certainly don't have the linemen for it currently. I think we need to use some WCO principals, but our strength is obviously the passing game. We've gathered the pieces to be a league leading passing team. I think we'd be better served avoiding the "run to set up the pass" philosophy and be a more "we're a great passing unit and we're going to impose that on you and break your back with our run".

Stanford with Hamilton - under Luck and a freshman - threw more on first downs than any other down.  Roman does the same with the 49ers.  And the numbers, the splits aren't even close.  I'd argue those offenses, ones we could look to when trying to understand what Hamilton might try running in Indy, are pass to set up the run.  Loosen them and then pound.  Pass when a situaiton looks like run, run when the situation looks like pass. 

Doesn't matter about scheme. Our linemen can't block. The ones who were castoffs that we picked up were cast out for a reason. They obviously weren't blocking well in a zone scheme either, so I think you're making a bigger deal of it than it really is. The problem has always been lack of talent

that's about to change real fast...... 

Doesn't matter about scheme. Our linemen can't block. The ones who were castoffs that we picked up were cast out for a reason. They obviously weren't blocking well in a zone scheme either, so I think you're making a bigger deal of it than it really is. The problem has always been lack of talent