Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Was Luck hyped to much?

coltsfanmilyman

They thought they would be safe, but both are dunces and this was a great excuse to make the move. Putting Painter back in after yanking him would be too obvious and the league office would have been forced to strip the pick.

yeah no that's not what happened if you want to believe then fine and I can tell nothing anyone says or points out the numerous flaws in your theory on this it's not going to matter so I am not going to waste the time on it anymore.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't need to take my own advice. The Redskins finished 16th in total offense just like i said. The Colts finished 30th. Now you tell me which offense was "boring".

If you wanna talk points, you still lose the argument as the Colts were 28th in points.

Thanks and come back anytime.

Like I said earlier you were ranked so low due to QB play having Curtis Painter starting for you. I guarantee you this if Peyton played last season Ya'll wouldnt have sniffed the #1 pick in fact the Colts would have won 10 plus games. Reggie Wayne trumps any of our WR's. All of a sudden Yalls argument is we have a good O-line do you realize how bad our Oline got killed in the media and by fanbases on message boards. Now all of a sudden we have the best O-line in football. Its because how mobile and how much of THREAT RG3 IS. watch games defensive ends freeze in place I litterally saw Jared Allen stop and watch Alfred Morris run right by him because he thought RG3 had the ball.

loluck, next time you see a colts game on TV take a look in the stands, this will answer a lot of your questions.

you should also know that there are some colts fans that agree with you. Welcome.

only the peytonites agree with him. get with me next year on who is better rg3 or luck. cause they still try to run that gimmick college crap he will be shut down. remember that guy vick? he was also the second coming. he was more well known and a pure badbutt coming out. rg3, one year wonder. oh hows cam doing this year btw? vince young? yeah...keep rg3. Im happy with Luck. you guys need a link to the broncos forum? I'll gladly hook you up.

Like I said earlier you were ranked so low due to QB play having Curtis Painter starting for you. I guarantee you this if Peyton played last season Ya'll wouldnt have sniffed the #1 pick in fact the Colts would have won 10 plus games. Reggie Wayne trumps any of our WR's. All of a sudden Yalls argument is we have a good O-line do you realize how bad our Oline got killed in the media and by fanbases on message boards. Now all of a sudden we have the best O-line in football. Its because how mobile and how much of THREAT RG3 IS. watch games defensive ends freeze in place I litterally saw Jared Allen stop and watch Alfred Morris run right by him because he thought RG3 had the ball.

Yeah and if you had Peyton last year you wouldn't have finished where you did either. That doesn't mean we had a talented roster though. A truly talented roster wins more then 2 games regardless of who the QB is.

Reggie Wayne is the only player you can name. That's it.

Nobody here said you have a great O line, we just said you have a better O line then the Colts. That's a fact. The Colts have one of the worst lines in football. The Redskins at worse are in the middle of the pack for line play.

Yeah and if you had Peyton last year you wouldn't have finished where you did either. That doesn't mean we had a talented roster though. A truly talented roster wins more then 2 games regardless of who the QB is.

Reggie Wayne is the only player you can name. That's it.

Nobody here said you have a great O line, we just said you have a better O line then the Colts. That's a fact. The Colts have one of the worst lines in football. The Redskins at worse are in the middle of the pack for line play.

Please all read this blog from a giants blogger http://www.ultimatenyg.com/2012-articles/october/a-more-thorough-discussion-of-the-exhilarating-win-vs-washington.html

only the peytonites agree with him. get with me next year on who is better rg3 or luck. cause they still try to run that gimmick college crap he will be shut down. remember that guy vick? he was also the second coming. he was more well known and a pure badbutt coming out. rg3, one year wonder. oh hows cam doing this year btw? vince young? yeah...keep rg3. Im happy with Luck. you guys need a link to the broncos forum? I'll gladly hook you up.

Luck scrambles too....

Just wondering why you compared RG3 to those 3 other QBs you mentioned, if its not scrambling.

All #1 draft picks are hyped to much, why? it builds anticipation for when the actual draft, arrives everyone knows those players are all rookies and wont be the second coming of nobody in most cases right off the bat as well, it takes time for rookies to adjust to new schemes, new players, new code words for things, college players more or less rely on there athletic ability, in the NFL the game is more cerebral and many of those college football players will never even step foot on a pro football team field

To answer the original question: Yes, Luck was hyped too much. And that has little to nothing to do with how he's played so far in the NFL.

Agreed. I said the same thing through most of last season. I do think Luck was hyped too much and I don't think he was as far ahead of the other QB's as people tried to claim. The play of guys like Weeden and RG3 prove that and even Tannehill has been playing fairly well, especially considering the lack of talent they have at the WR position. Foles even played incredibly well during the preseason...yes that was just preseason but he got a lot of playing time due to the injuries to Vick and Kafka, and he played well enough that the Eagles had no qualms about releasing Kafka. This is not to say that Luck wasn't the best QB out of the group, but he wasn't as head and shoulders above the rest as a lot of people wanted him to be.

All that said, I also agree with Superman that the fact he was overhyped has nothing to do with his play. It does have to do with the unrealistic expectations that people had for him. Luck is going to be a very good QB but it's going to take time, especially considering the youth around him....Ballard, Hilton, Brazill, Fleener and Allen are all rookies too. The OL is young and inexperienced playing together so we've had a lot of struggles there as well. Luck isn't playing at a HOF level right now but anyone who expected him to be was fooling themselves. All things considered, he's playing incredibly well and I'm sure he will continue to improve.

Luck scrambles too....

Just wondering why you compared RG3 to those 3 other QBs you mentioned, if its not scrambling.

Not trying to speak for him, but i would assume he compared him to those QB's because there style of play is very similar. Yes, Luck does scramble. But thats a scramble, usually from a dead play where he is trying to gain yardage. The other QB's mentioned have or had designed runs built into there gameplan. Outside of 1 TD run from Luck i can't recall many other designed runs. I think i know where your trying to go with this though unfortunately.

Not trying to speak for him, but i would assume he compared him to those QB's because there style of play is very similar. Yes, Luck does scramble. But thats a scramble, usually from a dead play where he is trying to gain yardage. The other QB's mentioned have or had designed runs built into there gameplan. Outside of 1 TD run from Luck i can't recall many other designed runs. I think i know where your trying to go with this though unfortunately.

Kyle Shanahan is creative and knows what to do with Griffin, it seems. You would have to consult RGIII about how many designed runs are in the playbook, I don't watch enough Washington games to know, but if you have a track star then it's best to utilize him and get the most out of it. Griffin is still a pass first quarterback, but he has the speed and agility to make defensive ends and LBs look silly. Still, besides speed, there's really no reason at all to compare Griffin with Newton and Vick.

Kyle Shanahan is creative and knows what to do with Griffin, it seems. You would have to consult RGIII about how many designed runs are in the playbook, I don't watch enough Washington games to know, but if you have a track star then it's best to utilize him and get the most out of it. Griffin is still a pass first quarterback, but he has the speed and agility to make defensive ends and LBs look silly. Still, besides speed, there's really no reason at all to compare Griffin with Newton and Vick.

There's even less reason to compare Luck's scrambles to the type of game Bob plays.

Luck has 20 runs on the season compared to the 9 per game that Bob averages.

It's great that you like Luck, because I like him too! However your comparison of RG3 to Vick, Vince Young, and Newton leaves out that fact that NONE of those players had more than below average to average passing skills coming out of college. Even to this day most of them remain that way. Newton had a good year last year, but it's a bit out of line to call him a one hit wonder because he is having some struggles in his 2nd year. Sam Bradford had a pretty decent rookie year as well, and he flat out stunk in his 2nd year. Is it okay for us to say he is a one year wonder as well?

That would be ridiculous because he's playing better this season. It happens that way sometimes for a number of reasons. Not everyone repeats their rookie accomplishments in the second year, but it doesn't mean they won't do well. Are you really trying to tell us that RG3 could not run the traditional Mike Shanahan/Denver Broncos offense? I hope you are not because those who are honest about his talents and football IQ know that he could. Not only could he, but he would still continue to do well. He is a much better decision maker and passer than those guys you mentioned.

You're calling those plays they use from Baylor some type of "gimmick", but if you take a couple minutes to really analyze what he is doing it's nothing more than another form of play action passing. When they decide to run out of that look I don't see how it's much different than how any other play action is executed. Depending on the look the defense gives, you either run or pass. What's the big gimmick behind that? Are you saying the rest of the NFL is going to catch on to and eliminate play action passing by next year? I don't think that is something you want to say without fear of losing all credibility.

I don't think there is a way to totally shut that play down because the Redskins run the ball so well. Their running game is able to consistently command attention from the defense. They can go away from that play for a while and come right back to it. Someone will still get sucked up by the run action and the big play. As long as you have the threat of the run, those Baylor plays can still be effective. Vick used to run something similar in Atlanta, but they were more inclined for him to run the ball which is understandable because he was not that great of a passer. RG3 can do either or and do it well.

The Giants actually slowed the Baylor plays down in that game which I'm sure you know, but RG3 was still able to put them back in the lead with that pretty pass he threw to Santana Moss. If it wasn't for the Redskins defensive failure covering Victor Cruz, the Redskins win that game. I love Andrew Luck and I'm satisfied with him, but let's stop trying to take credit away from RG3 and predicting his future failure. He's a very good talent, and will be good in this league for a while.

I route and cheer for both of those guys because they are both amazing!

There's even less reason to compare Luck's scrambles to the type of game Bob plays.

Luck has 20 runs on the season compared to the 9 per game that Bob averages.

I think BleedingBlue was trying to make a point. Luck runs, Vick runs, Cam runs, and Griffin runs. Difference is that Griffin and 12 don't live off of runs all the time and can beat opponents with their arms rather than just their legs. Arians doesn't seem like a guy who wants to use his QB's speed, and I know 12 has some wheels on him as well, but he's more of a bruiser than someone who is elusive like Griffin is.

It's great that you like Luck, because I like him too! However your comparison of RG3 to Vick, Vince Young, and Newton leaves out that fact that NONE of those players had more than below average to average passing skills coming out of college. Even to this day most of them remain that way. Newton had a good year last year, but it's a bit out of line to call him a one hit wonder because he is having some struggles in his 2nd year. Sam Bradford had a pretty decent rookie year as well, and he flat out stunk in his 2nd year. Is it okay for us to say he is a one year wonder as well?

That would be ridiculous because he's playing better this season. It happens that way sometimes for a number of reasons. Not everyone is as good as they were in their rookie year. Are you really trying to tell us that RG3 could not run the traditional Mike Shanahan/Denver Broncos offense? I hope you are not because those who are honest about his talents and football IQ know that he could. Not only could he, but he would still continue to do well. He is a much better decision maker and passer than those guys you mentioned.

You're calling those plays they use from Baylor some type of "gimmick", but if you take a couple minutes to really analyze what he is doing it's nothing more than another form of play action passing. When they decide to run out of that look I don't see how it's much different than how any other play action is executed. Depending on the look the defense gives, you either run or pass. What's the big gimmick behind that? Are you saying the rest of the NFL is going to catch on to and eliminate play action passing by next year? I don't think that is something you want to say without fear of losing all credibility.

I don't think there is a way to totally shut that play down because the Redskins run the ball so well. Their running game is able to consistently command attention from the defense. They can go away from that play for a while and come right back to it. Someone will still get sucked up by the run action and the big play. As long as you have the threat of the run, those Baylor plays can still be effective. Vick used to run something similar in Atlanta, but they were more inclined for him to run the ball which is understandable because he was not that great of a passer. RG3 can do either or and do it well.

The Giants actually slowed the Baylor plays down in that game which I'm sure you know, but RG3 was still able to put them back in the lead with that pretty pass he threw to Santana Moss. If it wasn't for the Redskins defensive failure covering Victor Cruz, the Redskins win that game. I love Andrew Luck and I'm satisfied with him, but let's stop trying to take credit away from RG3 and predicting his future failure. He's a very good talent, and will be good in this league for a while.

So good I had to like it and quote it. haha

So good I had to like it and quote it. haha

haha.. I almost did the same.

Just to defend RG3 on the point of him being like Cam and Vick. He's so far beyond those 2 that its not even close. The guy had one of the best statistical seasons for a college QB in a LONG time. Cam nor Vick NEVER came close to 4700 yards passing in a season. He reminds me of a young but modern Steve Young. A guy who is simply fun to watch, but who's also a pass first run second type of guy.

haha.. I almost did the same.

Just to defend RG3 on the point of him being like Cam and Vick. He's so far beyond those 2 that its not even close. The guy had one of the best statistical seasons for a college QB in a LONG time. Cam nor Vick NEVER came close to 4700 yards passing in a season. He reminds me of a young but modern Steve Young. A guy who is simply fun to watch, but who's also a pass first run second type of guy.

I didn't even get into RG3s' leadership intangibles. To me he is a positive thinker and he projects that onto his team mates. Vick and Cam Newton are not as adept at that. Vick is not a bad leader, but I just don't think people gravitate to him in the same way as Griffin. He takes what he believes and has everyone around him believing the same. And he's done that since the day he's walked into that locker room. He also takes responsibility for things that are his fault, and he shows a gritty toughness that is inspiring as well. You don't see as much of that out of those he keeps being compared to.

i am appy with luck. im happy we chose luck over rg3 also. i think we have turned this thing around and i like the direction we are headed. i see us in the playoffs in 2 years

I'm happy with Luck as well but would have been just as happy with RG3 too. Both bring two different styles but their leadership qualities are top notch.

That would be ridiculous because he's playing better this season. It happens that way sometimes for a number of reasons. Not everyone repeats their rookie accomplishments in the second year, but it doesn't mean they won't do well. Are you really trying to tell us that RG3 could not run the traditional Mike Shanahan/Denver Broncos offense? I hope you are not because those who are honest about his talents and football IQ know that he could. Not only could he, but he would still continue to do well. He is a much better decision maker and passer than those guys you mentioned.

well guess what bud, when you come on a COLTS forum and have to constantly defend your own qb from fellow Colt fans because they're mad mannings not here or rg3 this or rg3 that it gets old. I dont care if rg3 turns out good or falls flat on his face. I have no I'll will towards him. btw, those guys did have some big arms and passed the ball in college. guess its easy to forget.

• Was he overhyped? I don't know, I don't listen to hype.
  • Do I understand why people love to second guess our QB choice? NO
  • Do I understand why people hang onto their anger over the QB decision and seem to have an ongoing need to take it out on other fans or direct it at the FO/owner with snide, snarky, rude, condescending comments........No, and I find it more than a little bit creepy
  • Do I understand why people who are fine with the QB decision bother reading posts by people who are not? NO
  • Am I having more fun watching Colts football this year? Absolutely! Heck I even enjoyed that preseason loss to the steelers, the Green Bay game was UNBELIEVABLE and the fact that we manged to win the Browns game was encouraging. We've had years where we consistently lost the close ones

We are better than we were, we will continue to get better. That's what I'm looking for.

kudos to everyone who posted here without losing their temper. That's progress too.

Last season was frustrating and boring and aggravating. Glad it's in the past

well guess what bud, when you come on a COLTS forum and have to constantly defend your own qb from fellow Colt fans because they're mad mannings not here or rg3 this or rg3 that it gets old. I dont care if rg3 turns out good or falls flat on his face. I have no I'll will towards him. btw, those guys did have some big arms and passed the ball in college. guess its easy to forget.

Having the ability to throw a ball 60 or 70 yards does not make you an accomplished passer. It just means you are able to throw a deep ball if necessary. Those guys you mentioned had big arms coming out of college, but were not even in the same ballpark as RG3 being an accomplished and very accurate passer. Where are you getting this defending Luck from Manning thing from? Most everyone on this forum speaks good things about Luck the majority of the time. There are very few on here that say "Sure wish we still had Peyton". Most of us have moved on from that. I'm not that in to the RG3 vs Luck stuff myself because I don't see it as a "VS" thing. I don't believe I have to pit them against each other. I like watching both of them.

I don't think Luck is going to be a failure. I don't think RG3 is going to be a failure.

Was he over hyped ?No he has all the tools as advertised and more.Will he be great?If he stays healthy and has the supporting cast around him,as will RG3 under same circumstances.You can argue about it if you like but i wouldve been happy with either,after my favorite of all time was gone.I do believe in some ways he reminds me of Peyton or Yoda as my freind SW calls him,he has the mind and what makes it dangerous is more athletic ability IMO

Loved 18....Love our number 12.....Love the Colts......and as the Metallica song says...."And Nothing Else Matters."

We can compare Manning to Leaf......Luck to RG3 on draft day and beyond.....it sooooooo comes with the territory.

Instead of arguing hype and who is better, why do we not just enjoy the talent each QB brings (Leaf not included), and the maturity we see them bring to their respective teams. That makes the NFL soooooo great.

BTW: I will root for RG3 every single time the Redskins play the Cowboys(Jerry Jones nauseates me).......and really I may even root for the skins against all teams in our division as well as NFC East (Not named Giants) and AFC West (Not named Broncos) That is how much I like watching RG3 play! There...I sad it! :)

Till next time....Go :pass: :colts: :colts: :colts:

Loved 18....Love our number 12.....Love the Colts......and as the Metallica song says...."And Nothing Else Matters."

We can compare Manning to Leaf......Luck to RG3 on draft day and beyond.....it sooooooo comes with the territory.

Instead of arguing hype and who is better, why do we not just enjoy the talent each QB brings (Leaf not included), and the maturity we see them bring to their respective teams. That makes the NFL soooooo great.

BTW: I will root for RG3 every single time the Redskins play the Cowboys(Jerry Jones nauseates me).......and really I may even root for the skins against all teams in our division as well as NFC East (Not named Giants) and AFC West (Not named Broncos) That is how much I like watching RG3 play! There...I sad it! :)

Till next time....Go :pass: :colts: :colts: :colts:

Well said Brother,we are both football fans,and that means of the game.Isnt it great to see this new talent?

Well said Brother,we are both football fans,and that means of the game.Isnt it great to see this new talent?

I did forget one thing.......and against the Bears.....:) Gotta keep them atop the cheese-heads....:)

You even put it better Jay....to think we have around 15 years with all of this fresh talent....to enjoy...analyze....Almost gets me to Social Security......If I live that long :)

It takes time for Luck to develop. Why? Because he has talent across the board. The reason that Cam Newton or Robert Griffin are so good now is because they are so good at the one or two things they do, they can tear up teams. That is, until there is all kinds of film on their play and teams can figure them out. Cam Newton is now and Robert Griffin will next year have their play drop off, considerably, when teams figure out ways to stop them. While they are two average or below starters, the Colts will have a guy who took time to develop his skills across the board and could become an elite QB. You can't have success "NOW, NOW, NOW!" if you want to have greater success later.

It takes time for Luck to develop. Why? Because he has talent across the board. The reason that Cam Newton or Robert Griffin are so good now is because they are so good at the one or two things they do, they can tear up teams. That is, until there is all kinds of film on their play and teams can figure them out. Cam Newton is now and Robert Griffin will next year have their play drop off, considerably, when teams figure out ways to stop them. While they are two average or below starters, the Colts will have a guy who took time to develop his skills across the board and could become an elite QB. You can't have success "NOW, NOW, NOW!" if you want to have greater success later.

The catch is that they tear teams up in different ways. Griffin will not have a drop off next year because he has a different style of play than Cam Newton. Griffin is developing and getting better every week just as 12 is.

i am appy with luck. im happy we chose luck over rg3 also. i think we have turned this thing around and i like the direction we are headed. i see us in the playoffs in 2 years

Well, in that division, making the playoffs isn't exactly an accomplishment...

Well, in that division, making the playoffs isn't exactly an accomplishment...

I'll take that over probably never making the playoffs as cellar dwellers of the NFC East, having not won the division in 13 years, and having won a whopping 3 playoff games in 20 years. :yay:

I'll take that over probably never making the playoffs as cellar dwellers of the NFC East, having not won the division in 13 years, and having won a whopping 3 playoff games in 20 years. :yay:

Any team from the East would run roughshod over the historically weak as heck AFC South. Every team in the NFC East has more Lombardis, excluding the Eagles, than the entire AFC South combined. We are like the SEC and you guys are D-III. Peyton Manning padded his stats for years in that craptastic division. That's why come playoff time, the Colts normally sucked...loluck...