Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton looks horrible

Golfr

Too bad Denver D couldn't pull a Freeney Mathis strip or sack at the end and Give Peyton a shot to make full amends for the 3 picks. He should rely on power run game if pre-snap reads aren't there like tonight.

Yep. That is what happened with the Patriots in the 2007 AFCCG. Chargers and their secondary with Cromartie, Jammer and Florence were balling and picking off Brady left and right. That is when Belichick said, heck with it, I am going 3 TEs and let us see if those speedy guys can get our big bullies down. They could not and Laurence Maroney ran for first down after first down for a SB appearance where Eli took them down eventually. But that is how you deal with Ds that move around a lot at the line of scrimmage, are super athletic, win the leverage battle with your O-line. But the Atlanta front seven is stout enough against the run, IMO, just not as stout as it used to be.

Broncos dont have enough blocking TEs, that is their number one problem. The thing with the Pats is Gronk can be on several plays as just an H-back. I dont think Dreessen or Tamme can play that role super well as Gronk.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread was originally in the Colts section which is why people were saying that.

My bad, sorry didn't realize that

I'm just mad frustrated and heart broken right now

I don't care that #18 isn't the Colts QB anymore ..put me firmly in the camp that hasn't moved on yet, I'll root for him through thick and thin and make no apologies about it

Peyton made us what we were for a decade and I'll be darned if I ever root against him, short of playing against us

If the Broncos win a Superbowl, it's because they played with the heart of a Colt!!!!

I've said all along that Peyton wouldn't just come in and pick up where he left off - his style of play is complex and requires his team mates being on the same page. It's going to be later in the season before that begins to gel. It might even take a year.

He took some hits tonight, his O-line gave up two sacks and I'm not sure how many hits on top of those. I'm no longer a fan now that he's in our division, but I don't want him to get hurt. They'd better up the protection.

Atlanta looked good, we play them next week. Denver's D looked good at times.

Wow. Not what I was expecting from Peyton. However, I was playing him in fantasy so...I won!

Would like to see better from him. I like Peyton but I have "moved on". He is not my QB anymore. I appreciate what he did, but it helps to confirm that Irsay made the right decision.

Peyton Manning had a tough game. So be it. There are a whole lot of good football teams standing at 1-1. There are no needs for "I told you so's." Eli had 3 picks......Rodgers made bad plays, and Brady loses in Foxboro to Kevin Kolb. Enough said.

Regardless, Manning game back with grit and gave the Broncos a 'chance' to win the game.

Mike Nolan led defenses have given Manning troubles for years even though we usually beat him.....Polian made some nice points to that before the game.

Truth be told this may be the most parity that I have seen in the NFL, and it will make for an exciting season and some great debates. Right now I see SF as being the strongest.....but when you see how well a team like the Cowboys play one week and get leveled by the Seahawks....anything can happen....and it usually does in the NFL!

Peyton Manning had a tough game. So be it. There are a whole lot of good football teams standing at 1-1. There are no needs for "I told you so's." Eli had 3 picks......Rodgers made bad plays, and Brady loses in Foxboro to Kevin Kolb. Enough said.

Regardless, Manning game back with grit and gave the Broncos a 'chance' to win the game.

Mike Nolan led defenses have given Manning troubles for years even though we usually beat him.....Polian made some nice points to that before the game.

Truth be told this may be the most parity that I have seen in the NFL, and it will make for an exciting season and some great debates. Right now I see SF as being the strongest.....but when you see how well a team like the Cowboys play one week and get leveled by the Seahawks....anything can happen....and it usually does in the NFL!

Not to mention the Saints are in total disarray.....who'd a thunk it?

It was one tough game. Last week he was brilliant, the same old Peyton we've seen for so many years in royal blue... Last week there weren't arm strength issues. He had a horrible Q1...sh...t happened. Next week, next game...

I think no players shall be judged according to 1 or 2 games... After mid-season or best at the end of regular season we will see, if has issues with arm strength or no...

atleast they didn't lose to the cardinals

What an intelligent comeback. The Patriots have lost twice at home in the past 37 games; once in a rare while it's okay.

Funny, I thought that this thread was about Peyton and the Broncos. Can't actually contribute to this thread, so you have to pull out a strawman? Brilliant!

Actually, it was the Bronco's D that held Atlanta to three straight 3 and outs and gave them excellent field position to put them in the position to come back. But hey, let's just give all credit to Peyton.

Actually, it was the Bronco's D that held Atlanta to three straight 3 and outs and gave them excellent field position to put them in the position to come back. But hey, let's just give all credit to Peyton.

you cant say anything that knock the precious manning, even if it may be the truth.

It's obvious Peyton isn't 100%. His mid range/deep ball was sailing on him in preseason and it was the same tonight. Hope he can get healthy and end his career on a good note and not have a horrible last few years.

He tore it up last week so makes me wonder if his arm was still sore from week one and if arm fatigue/soreness will be a factor.

That is why they call it football.....just like a missed FG......an L is an L. Atlanta looks strong on both sides of the ball. If you read my post, I stated verbatim "Peyton had a tough game. So be it." He and every team will have tough games...and as we all know the Broncos schedule is as brutal as it gets.

I could say "I told you so", but I won't.

His arm strength is awful. People tried to ignore, cover it up, or just say "Hey, it's Peyton, he'll overcome!"

That doesn't happen when you're 36 and coming off of surgeries, and you now lack at least 25% of your arm strength from before.

:whatever: so glad you're not saying I told you so... that would be rude now wouldn't it..??

What an intelligent comeback. The Patriots have lost twice at home in the past 37 games; once in a rare while it's okay.

Funny, I thought that this thread was about Peyton and the Broncos. Can't actually contribute to this thread, so you have to pull out a strawman? Brilliant!

I thought it was a great comment. And true. At least it wasn't the Kevin Kolb lead Cards. *shrug*

I thought it was a great comment. And true. At least it wasn't the Kevin Kolb lead Cards. *shrug*

Apparently you don't know what a strawman is, either. How does throwing an insult about a Patriot loss have anything to do with Peyton Manning?

Nothing at all, correct? So basically if you have nothing to contribute to the actual topic at hand, throw in a random fact as a means to derail/insult. That's a tactic for someone who can't debate the actual topic at hand.

Is he horrible or is it the offensive line?

know 1 thing, 5 sacks in 2 games when often 6 a year ,

Receiver Familiarity & chemistry

Loud Stadium an OL & Wr hasnt gelled to point where can play with hand gestures

Dumervil non existent, no pass rush at all on Matt but he did also a good job of fast release when needed

Roddy white incredible

within a TD, pretty good come back, just fell short due to the bad start. Not counting out Peyton and the Broncos at this point.

& if that fumble was ruled for Denver & would of been in prime postion to score as good run and ball rolled forward for more yardage deep in falconteritory , instead of Ryan led scoring drive and that would of allowed the comeback us more points them less

arent refs supposed to unscramble the scrum before calling who has the ball, stokley fell on it, Clady came out holding it , when did Falcons control it ??

But still thats just 1 play, Peyton was 3 , Nolan had a good D plan that worked esp early

In away games the Denver offense must learn hand signals

At least Peyton never gave up, came back called some gutsy 4th downs , he will be back

It's obvious Peyton isn't 100%. His mid range/deep ball was sailing on him in preseason and it was the same tonight. Hope he can get healthy and end his career on a good note and not have a horrible last few years.

He tore it up last week so makes me wonder if his arm was still sore from week one and if arm fatigue/soreness will be a factor.

He looked like the normal Peyton to me in terms of his ability to throw overall. The major thing I saw was that he was making some bad decisions out there throwing into coverage and on some of the throws occasionaly it appeared as if the WR was not in sync with where Peyton was throwing the ball. If that would have been his WR from indy, they would have adjusted properly I think but who knows. I was a bit concerned if Peyton had gotten that interception trend out of him. His last year with the Colts before the 2-14 season he had about 3 to 4 game stretch where he was throwing about 2 to 3 interceptions a game.

2 games I remember from that seasons definitely were the Cowboys game and the Chargers game. We had lost the Cowboys game in an almost identical manner as the Falcons game last night. In that Cowboys game Peyton threw so many interceptions that no matter how much he kept bringing us back into the game after those mistakes it wasn't enough.

Eventually as the season played out he corrected it some, but it was a concerning pattern. Looks like it came back for the MNF game last night. I'm not sure what is going on with that! They won't beat the Texans if he repeats that performance either....

Peyton looking so bad was a combination of multiple things.

In his 2nd game back in the league the Falcons defense got him. Their disguises were fantastic, and they fooled Peyton for the most part. That is a direct result of rust, and not being used to it anymore. He should have relied on the run game earlier in the game. When they mixed the run in well, the Broncos offense moved much better.

His arm strength is okay, but nowhere near 100%. I think he was having trouble judging how much mustard to put on deep balls, and not judging the speed of his ball vs the speed of the defenders as well as he normally does. DB's were able to get there and pick it off when usually they would just be there in time for the tackle.

Even in the 2nd half, when Peyton was playing much better, he still wasn't beating the defense like we're used too. I think Peyton is on his way, and by mid-season, he should be pretty good. As many have said he isn't going to get back in the saddle and dominate again right away.

Also, is it just me or does it seem Eric Decker wants a flag every time he drops a pass or isn't able to make a catch?

He looked like the normal Peyton to me. The major thing I saw was that he was making some bad decisions out there throwing into coverage and on some of the throws occasionaly it appeared as if the WR was not in sync with where Peyton was throwing the ball. If that would have been his WR from indy, they would have adjusted properly I think but who knows. I was a bit concerned if Peyton had gotten that interception trend out of him. His last year with the Colts before the 2-14 season he had about 3 to 4 game stretch where he was throwing about 2 to 3 interceptions a game.

2 games I remember from that seasons definitely were the Cowboys game and the Chargers game. We had lost the Cowboys game in an almost identical manner as the Falcons game last night. In that Cowboys game Peyton threw so many interceptions that no matter how much he kept bringing us back into the game after those mistakes it wasn't enough.

Eventually as the season played out he corrected it some, but it was a concerning pattern. Looks like it came back for the MNF game last night. I'm not sure what is going on with that! They won't beat the Texans if he repeats that performance either....

Good points.....as I said above he has ALWAYs had trouble with the Mike Nolan defense....even though we usually beat them. I will once again say that too much is being made of nothing here. There are a lot of good teams with great QBs who are 1-1 in a very even league.

Good points.....as I said above he has ALWAYs had trouble with the Mike Nolan defense....even though we usually beat them. I will once again say that too much is being made of nothing here. There are a lot of good teams with great QBs who are 1-1 in a very even league.

Also to me in a negative way it looked too much like the offense from indy. Too much focus on passing the football. Not enough variety from the running game, although I will say those little draw/handoff type plays were getting good yardage, but too much finesse stuff. I don't know what has happened to the stretch play and some of the other things that used to be a part of the running game. I will say that Mcgahee is a really good inside runner so I guess that have tailored things more to inside power and zone plays for him. I think they should have pounded the football much more with Mcgahee with some different run looks that are suited for his skill set.

That's how you deal with the type of defense they were trying to play last night. It makes guys late dropping back into those zones once they know the running game is a threat. I think the Falcons were more than willing to give up a couple runs to Mcgahee most of the night because they knew the Broncos wouldn't run it that much. If that was Tebow you wouldn't have seen the Falcons doing all of that disguising. You make a concerted effort to disguise coverages when you know the team and qb you are playing strenth is passing the football.

If they could have pounded the running game more last night, it could have made the Falcons undisciplined in the passing game and things could have been more wide open for Peyton when he decided to pass. I still can't figure out what has happened to the running game in Peytons style of offense. When we won the Super Bowl we ran the football alot that whole year, and not just little rinky dink draw plays.

On many occasions we were running power football, that is what allowed us to beat the

Patriots in the second half of that AFC championship game. We came out running power football on those boys and they didn't know what to do. Then we started rope a doping them suckers in the passing game.

I don't know what has happened ever since. They need to stop passing so much and get into some power football as well. They have an offensive line that is able to do that!

I was a bit upset after that game. I almost felt it was the Colts that lost that game! It's funny because John Gruden kept on calling the Broncos the Colts several times last night. Hard to let go!!!

Also to me in a negative way it looked too much like the offense from indy. Too much focus on passing the football.

Not enough variety from the running game, although I will say those little draw/handoff type plays were getting good

yardage. I don't know what has happened to the stretch play and some of the other things that used to be a part of

the running game. I will say that Mcgahee is a really good inside runner so I guess that have tailored things more to

inside power and zone plays for him. I think they should have pounded the football much more.

That's how you deal with the type of defense they were trying to play last night. It makes guys late dropping back into

those zones once they know the running game is a threat. I think the Falcons were more than willing to give up a

couple runs to Mcgahee most of the night because they knew the Broncos wouldn't run it that much. If that was Tebow

you wouldn't have seen the Falcons doing all of that disguising. You make a concerted effort to disguise coverages

when you know the team and qb you are playing strenth is passing the football.

If they could have pounded the running game more last night, they could have made the Falcons undisciplined in the passing game and things could have been more wide open for Peyton when he decided to pass. I still can't figure out what has happened

to the running game in Peytons style of offense. When we won the Super Bowl we ran the football alot that whole year, and

not just little rinky dink draw plays. On many occasions we were running power football, that is what allowed us to beat the

Patriots in the second half of that AFC championship game. We came out running power football on those boys and they

didn't know what to do. Then we started rope a doping them suckers in the passing game.

I don't know what has happened ever since. They need to stop passing so much!

Simply stated.....the running game would have led to less disguise/multiple flex coverages....leading to more openings for Tamme and Dressen. The Falcons were free to be a disruptive force....and it looked like they had 14 players on defense. (Better count for sure.....there have been 12 on multiple occasions with the replacement :ref: 's) :)

Peyton looking so bad was a combination of multiple things.

In his 2nd game back in the league the Falcons defense got him. Their disguises were fantastic, and they fooled Peyton for the most part. That is a direct result of rust, and not being used to it anymore. He should have relied on the run game earlier in the game. When they mixed the run in well, the Broncos offense moved much better.

His arm strength is okay, but nowhere near 100%. I think he was having trouble judging how much mustard to put on deep balls, and not judging the speed of his ball vs the speed of the defenders as well as he normally does. DB's were able to get there and pick it off when usually they would just be there in time for the tackle.

Even in the 2nd half, when Peyton was playing much better, he still wasn't beating the defense like we're used too. I think Peyton is on his way, and by mid-season, he should be pretty good. As many have said he isn't going to get back in the saddle and dominate again right away.

Also, is it just me or does it seem Eric Decker wants a flag every time he drops a pass or isn't able to make a catch?

See my post.

I've said all along that Peyton wouldn't just come in and pick up where he left off - his style of play is complex and requires his team mates being on the same page. It's going to be later in the season before that begins to gel. It might even take a year.

He took some hits tonight, his O-line gave up two sacks and I'm not sure how many hits on top of those. I'm no longer a fan now that he's in our division, but I don't want him to get hurt. They'd better up the protection.

Atlanta looked good, we play them next week. Denver's D looked good at times.

I agree with you on this point and it a tribute to how smart the players around him in Indy were to be able to be on the same page with Peyton . . . it is likely that down the road the Denver players will be able to keep up with Peyton changing the plays . . . I am not sure how effective changing the plays 3-5 times a down every once and a while is . . . but for me if the Denver players are not up to speed to switch plays so quickly, then it the Denver coaching staff would be better off not playing that kind of no huddle until down the road . . .

Simply stated.....the running game would have led to less disguise/multiple flex coverages....leading to more openings for Tamme and Dressen. The Falcons were free to be a disruptive force....and it looked like they had 14 players on defense. (Better count for sure.....there have been 12 on multiple occasions with the replacement :ref: 's) :)

Tamme sometimes annoys me for some reason. They have a young tight end with some good size and speed, I believe his name is Julius Thomas or something like that. I'd like to see him get some time over Tamme possibly.

They'll work it out. It's still early in the season. At least none of their players were picked up for DUI and speeding at 5:00 a.m. this morning. M. Turner should stick to speeding down the field, not on the highway, while being drunk.

Linda i posted this and then saw a minute earlier u did so edited the quote back in

Just hrs after the game TURNER ARRESTED , DUI

Atlanta Falcons running back Michael Turner was jailed on charges of drunken driving and speeding early Tuesday, just hours after he scored a touchdown in the team's win over the Denver Broncos.

Turner, 30, of Suwanee, Ga., was booked into the Gwinnett County jail in metro Atlanta just after 5 a.m. Turner spent barely two hours behind bars before he was released on $2,179 bond, jail records show

http://espn.go.com/n...yESPNToday_Team