Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard over Brown?

Mike Tahoe

After watching Vick Ballard in TC and pre-season, it is apparent that he is a stronger and a more physical back running between the tackles than Donald Brown. I wouldn't be surprised if Ballard eventually becomes the starting RB. Then we can spell him with Donald Brown later in the game with his speed and open field running once the defense has softened up.

Im afraid Donald Brown may not be physical or punishing enough as a runner to start games, but he CAN be very effective as a third down or second half type running back.

Maybe I'm overly impressed with the way Ballard runs the ball, but I see glimpses of pre-injury Edgerrin James when I watch him run. I'm looking forward to watching him progress in this new Colts offense.

I think the 1-2 punch with Brown-Ballard will be more effective. It takes some time for defenders to get their legs underneath them and hence it might be good to start with Brown. The second half is where a guy like Ballard who can be more physical when the D is tired will help.

Dominic Rhodes was a better between the tackles physical runner while Addai was the more quicker one (at least his first 2 years). Dominic Rhodes coming behind Addai helped us a lot because Rhodes was going against tired legs. I think the same concept should theoretically work with Brown-Ballard, IMO.

Ballard carried the ball 8 more times than Brown, and also carried a 3.1 ypa while Brown posted 2.4 ypa, Brown also scored 1 td rushing and 1 td passing to Ballards none. What does this all mean? Nothing, it was pre season. There would be a argument to start either, but starting Brown and using Ballard in the second half does seems logical.

Of all the positions, running back is the one that takes the least amount to transition from College to the NFL.

I think Ballard is our future as well. But I'm also a big believer in using more than one back. And I think the combo of Ballard as the primary, Brown as the change-up, specialty guy, and Carter as the short-down guy with Moore on some passing downs is a decent group.

They might even be better than decent. But with the current state of our OL, it's anybody's guess what we've got. Hopefully the line gels and we'll see some decent performances from our back.

We don't have to be great -- though great is fine by me -- we just have to be good enough to make the defense respect the run... everything else, Andrew will take from there! :thmup:

Ballard averaged 3.1 yards per carry during the preseason hardly anything special, 24 carries for 74 yards

yes your right Gavin but it was punishing and if it had not been for a dumb penalty or 2,his average wouldve been more like 4.5 to 5 yards.IMO Ballard is the best back we have

I love how some of you guys are ready to throw Brown out like its his fault that we cant run the ball, if it was his fault how did he rush for 645 yards on only 134 rushing yards last year

I dont see anyone ready to throw him out,Im not,just like to see him used differently

I love how some of you guys are ready to throw Brown out like its his fault that we cant run the ball, if it was his fault how did he rush for 645 yards on only 134 rushing yards last year

I would be entirely comfortable both getting carries, regardless of who starts. They both are capable.

I don't know about production, but Ballard seems more exciting to watch.

Donald Brown has never impressed me as being a good running back, and I doubt that's going to change any time soon. I think Ballard has alot more upside to his running ability than Brown, so I would definitely make Ballard the starter. With the offensive line being what it is you need a runner that has a little more power and cut back potential in his game. I'm not saying he's going to be the next Barry Sanders, but Ballard would definitely be an upgrade over Brown.

Didn't we already discuss this Topic before? If Ballard is the more Physical Back, then he should be the 3rd Down & Short back like Carter. Brown is a Good back. But without a O-Line, you're not going anywhere. 2 years from now, sure I could see Ballard beating out Brown & Carter IF the 3 are still around. But for right now, Brown is the Starter

Ballard averaged 3.1 yards per carry during the preseason hardly anything special, 24 carries for 74 yards

If only Hayworth Hicks were starting, like you proclaimed he would be earlier this summer. Why.....I bet Ballard would double his ypc in those exhibition games your talking about.

I wish there were some way for those professional football coaches to see what you see so clearly, the Colts would be much better off.

If only Hayworth Hicks were starting, like you proclaimed he would be earlier this summer. Why.....I bet Ballard would double his ypc in those exhibition games your talking about.

I wish there were some way for those professional football coaches to see what you see so clearly, the Colts would be much better off.

haha took ya a while but you finally came around eh

Ok, if you want to talk Browns stats last yr., remember that 160 of those yds came on 2 runs. If you take out those 2 runs and 2 carries. Brown had 485 yds on 132 carries or 3.6 yds per carry. Barely better than the unimpressive 3.1 yds per carry for Ballard. My point is, there is more than meets the eye when you just look at Browns total yds last yr.

Brown is the more explosive back with better speed and big play ability. He is clearly the best back we have and will see a majority of the carries. He also has the best hands and can pick up year in the passing game. Ballard has a chance to unseat Carter as #2 and I hope he runs with it as a late game grinder, I hope his fumbling problems are behind him and left at MSU.

Ok, if you want to talk Browns stats last yr., remember that 160 of those yds came on 2 runs. If you take out those 2 runs and 2 carries. Brown had 485 yds on 132 carries or 3.6 yds per carry. Barely better than the unimpressive 3.1 yds per carry for Ballard. My point is, there is more than meets the eye when you just look at Browns total yds last yr.

of course there is, you could say I dont care who starts as long as both are used because they both bring exceptional skill sets to the game, Brown can catch the ball ou of the back field and is better in the open field but Ballard is a bruiser (although Brown can get you tough yards on 3rd and short or goal line just like Ballard)

Our rushing ypa is pretty lousy accross the board now that you mention it. I know its just pre-season numbers, but I am really hoping this is NOT a sign of things to come.

Not sure why anyone expects anything from the oline this season, we all know th rt side is horrific and honestly I'm not real certain about our center either. The rebuild takes more than 1 offseason so I fully expect a FA in the guard or rt tackle spot next year and the other spot coming from the draft.

Teams can overload or anticipate the run going left and stop that better and knowing they can get behind the online on the right side right now. Both Ballard and Brown may be good but with this group of lineman, I don't look for a top 20 running team. We will be lucky to not be last in rushing IMO. Anything positive from the running game will exceed my expectations for this year with the lines being rebuild starting next year. Can't do it all at once and do it right.

Brown should be the starter, I'm with you Gavin. Ballard is a complementary back, he's got a little wiggle but I wouldn't compare him to Edgerrin James and the way he made people miss. I don't even think ballard is as fast as E.J. was coming out of college. EJ was about a 4.4 to 4.5 guy coming out of the U. I don't think ballard is more than 4.5 to 4.6 tops. I like ballard but I don't see him as the starter.

Brown is the more explosive back with better speed and big play ability. He is clearly the best back we have and will see a majority of the carries. He also has the best hands and can pick up year in the passing game. Ballard has a chance to unseat Carter as #2 and I hope he runs with it as a late game grinder, I hope his fumbling problems are behind him and left at MSU.

With carter listed as the #4 running back I think he's already been unseated

I really like Vick Ballard's style, and I hope he is productive. But I think Brown should remain the starter for now, and we should use our stable of backs in a platoon fashion. It probably doesn't matter who starts, really. I think they'll both get a good amount of touches throughout the game.

I think because of the protection schemes and Browns experience he will be starting week 1. You don't want a total rookie backfield (Luck, Allen, Ballard) or your going to have issues. Once the team feels Ballards blocking and reading and picking up blitzes is up to speed I think you will see his carries double. I would expect 15-20 carries for Brown and 5-10 for Ballard. As the season progresses I think you see it even out to 10-15 a piece. I think late in the season considering Arians preference for a between the tackle running game, Ballards burst to the hole, and strength I think you see him surplant Brown by say week 13 or 14. Brown is that home run threat and change of pace back...to me better suited for catching the ball out of the back field and breaking those long outside runs after a defense has been worn down by a physical running attack and hopefully successful passing game.

I absolutely love Ballards running style and feel like 15-20 times a game and will have an effect on a defense and then hit them with Brown 7-10 times...one of those the darn will burst. Brown just simply goes down with even arm tackles and while he has great speed in the open field I don't see his vision in getting and hitting the hole hard. Ballard does....and even makes a hole sometimes....and typically falls forward for that extra yard. He isn't flashy but he has a hard edge to him...especially that stiff arm. Once he has learned the offense and most importantly the blocking schemes...I see him getting more playing time. For now...Brown is the man.

Krunk dont read too much into a fluid depth chart at a position like rb (Not saying you are but it read like that) , if Ballard struggles which i hope isnt the case and Carter has improved from lasts season we could easily see those numbers reverse , I hope this isnt the case and Ballard plays well enough that Cartrs seat is gone as i dont trust what i saw from him last year.

No Brown is the more all around back. His pass protection was a thing of beauty this preseason while Ballard have a few mental mistakes. Browns the better receiver and security blanket for Luck. Yes Ballard runs hard so does brown and another thing Donald Brown does NOT fumble which is a great attribute to have. As of right now Brown is the more solid answer

Krunk dont read too much into a fluid depth chart at a position like rb (Not saying you are but it read like that) , if Ballard struggles which i hope isnt the case and Carter has improved from lasts season we could easily see those numbers reverse , I hope this isnt the case and Ballard plays well enough that Cartrs seat is gone as i dont trust what i saw from him last year.

I'm well aware that the tide could turn, but as of right now they have Ballard ahead of Carter. You can see from how many running backs we have that we are going to do RBBC so I expect to see a little bit of everybody. Sometimes Brown, sometimes Moore, sometimes Ballard, sometimes Carter. Not sure how effective our running game will be this season but my from some of the things I saw in the preseason we may be a heavier screen team a bit more than we have been in the past. Just a hunch