Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pagano on Coaching Staff

Bluefire4

• Last season, the Colts underwent quite a bit of change on the coaching staff.  Asked if the staff will be more stable this offseason, Pagano said "absolutely."  MY TAKE:In other words, folks, don't expect Greg Manusky to be fired.  Which is perfectly fine with me.

The "my take" part was from stampede blue, not from me.

Manusky calls the plays.  When he makes calls like having Pat Angerer cover Kendall Wright and he does that all game, there's something wrong.

Definitely agree we did some very questionable things at times (dropping Chap back in coverage on a play)..

But I would say Pagano plays a very big role in the defensive game plan from week to week.. So I think the 2 of them share the blame for some of the poor play we saw

Definitely agree we did some very questionable things at times (dropping Chap back in coverage on a play)..

But I would say Pagano plays a very big role in the defensive game plan from week to week.. So I think the 2 of them share the blame for some of the poor play we saw

Every team does things like that from time to time, just to keep the opponent guessing.  Several of the other 300+ lb defensive linemen dropped back into coverage for a play here or there.  Nothing wrong with doing it every once in a while but if it happened on a consistent basis then yeah, it'd become reason to be alarmed. :)

Nobody deserves to be fired anyway.

Overreaction to losing in NE again is getting to people's brains too much......

Agreed this team took a step forward from last year and are way ahead of where they were supposed to be at this point in time when they were hired two years ago. 

Put Pagamo as DB coach and hire a real coach and DC

Rob who is going to "put" Pagano as the db coach? Pagano will demote himself to db coach? Are you suggesting that Irsay intervene and call Chuck into the office and reassign him to db's?  Is it Ryan that makes this decision? Do you know what Chuck's contract says regarding his services as a coach and can he be demoted? You're suggesting that Pagano be fired and then rehired as db coach? Did you spend time thinking this suggestion through and is it a real suggestion or fantasy?

Be honest, he didn't coach last season save for a few games, that was Arians.  I hate it when people are not honest.

Arians does deserve credit, and proved it this year in AZ, but if you don't think Pagano deserves credit for 2012, then you are misunderstanding the character of success and how it was built in this team from January to September.

Rob who is going to "put" Pagano as the db coach? Pagano will demote himself to db coach? Are you suggesting that Irsay intervene and call Chuck into the office and reassign him to db's?  Is it Ryan that makes this decision? Do you know what Chuck's contract says regarding his services as a coach and can he be demoted? You're suggesting that Pagano be fired and then rehired as db coach? Did you spend time thinking this suggestion through and is it a real suggestion or fantasy?

Thinking out any number of these scenarios has been the most hilarious part of my day thus far

Homer.

Chuck is 14 and 9 I believe. A knowledgeable fan correct me if i am wrong please.

Yeah that's right. He went 2-3 last year, 12-6 this year, 14-9 overall...

The jury is still out on Pagano imo, but when people falsely inflate his HC record it does bug.  It undermines any defense of him.  Even though those wins are technically credited to him for record keeping purposes they're not really his. And if Arians had made a mess of it as HC last year, the same people would be quick to separate his record from Pagano's.

If there was really a big dropoff in the team last year under Chuck compared to "under" Arians, why did the Colts win the same amount of games this year? Not to mention a playoff game this year as well.

That team was Paganos team last year. He built and installed the system during training camp and pre-season and launched it. He built the car and test rode it last year. Arians then drove it and didnt wreck it then gave the keys back to Pagano. Stop trying to nitpick at his record.

You have to realize that this team defensively has below average players outside of Mathis and Bethea and Freeman. Davis is more jackle and Hyde than anything (maybe due to injury idk). LB was a revolving door all year as well as CB. Even DT saw a lot of rotations. Usually when there is good enough talent at a spot, you generally keep the same guys in the lineup barring injury or fatigue during a game. That obviously didnt happen too much this year.

This team was in its 2nd year of rebuilding and people wanna nitpick at Paganos record. Hilarious.

basketballsteve, on 14 Jan 2014 - 3:59 PM, said:snapback.png

Thinking out any number of these scenarios has been the most hilarious part of my day thus far

"Thinking out"……. as in an idea pops into your head and you post it here as if it deserves consideration by others because it's a plausible scenario that could happen and not just a fantasy you would like to see happen?

Regardless of the coach, I believe we would be better served in a zone blocking scheme......at least if we are going to commit to Trent Richardson.

I really think Trent's best shot is to be in a power man scheme behind GOOD, road grader offensive linemen.  The one aspect that has consistently held him back in the NFL is his lack of vision and that's the most important trait for a zone runner.  If you stick to man you can throw that out the window, tell him where to run, and reinforce that he needs to use his strength to hit the hole HARD on every play.  Don't give him room to make decisions as a runner, just reinforce that he needs to be a strictly downhill runner and a bit of a human battering ram when the ball is in his hands.

If you really want to switch over to more zone runs you'd be far better off just keeping the ball in the hands of Ballard (which is probably your best option, regardless, assuming he's even close to 100%) or bringing back Bradshaw.

"Thinking out"……. as in an idea pops into your head and you post it here as if it deserves consideration by others because it's a plausible scenario that could happen and not just a fantasy you would like to see happen?

Yeah it makes a plop noise when it happens

Yeah that's right. He went 2-3 last year, 12-6 this year, 14-9 overall...

The jury is still out on Pagano imo, but when people falsely inflate his HC record it does bug.  It undermines any defense of him.  Even though those wins are technically credited to him for record keeping purposes they're not really his. And if Arians had made a mess of it as HC last year, the same people would be quick to separate his record from Pagano's.

I think his record should have an asterisk, but it's impossible to completely separate him from that 9-3 record with Arians. He put the team and coaching staff together, he took the team through OTAs and training camp and the first month of the season, instilling his principles and philosophies, teaching and motivating and whatnot. And he was somewhat involved with football related stuff, including personnel decisions, when he was out. Arians deserves a ton of credit for doing so well as a stand-in, but I don't believe it's appropriate or accurate to try to remove Pagano from what happened in 2012 entirely. JMO

No offense, but that is a really lazy question.

This is the guy that thought it was a good idea to replace Doug Flute for a playoff game after Doug had played almost the entire year and got Buffalo to the playoffs. He puts in a rusty Rob Johnson and they LOSE to the Titans.

He was hired as the DC for Houston in 2011, served as interim HC to finish out this year and now is gone. 2 years in Houston. They were 2 and 14. This is a great coach?  

You know, I don't understand why people are ON Pagano and such to be CANNED....it doesn't make sense.

I've heard a LOT of people say they wish Arians was the coach. Pagano has only coached 20 games for the Colts thus far, Arians coached 12. (REGULAR SEASON)

Records through TWO SEASONS:

Arians: (10-6 w/ Cardinals) (9-3 w/ Colts) 19-9 Combined

Pagano: (2-2 first year w/ Colts) (11-5 second year w/ Colts) 13-7 Combined

Arians: 68% win record over 2 years (75% win record w/ Colts) (63% win record w/ Cardinals)

Pagano: 65% win record over 2 years

I mean 3% difference between Arians / Pagano, negligible.

The thing that concerns me MOST about Pagano is that he is supposedly a DEFENSIVE coach.

Defensive Rankings (Total Yards Allowed / Total Points Allowed)

2007: ~ 279.7 (Ranked 3rd)  /  16.4 (Ranked 1st) TONY DUNGY

2008: ~ 310.9 (Ranked 11th)  /  18.6 (Ranked 7th) TONY DUNGY

2009: ~ 339.2 (Ranked 18th)  /  19.2 (Ranked 8th) JIM CALDWELL

2010: ~ 341.6 (Ranked 20th)  /  24.3 (Ranked 23rd) JIM CALDWELL

2011: ~ 370.90 (Ranked 25th)  /  26.9 (Ranked 28th) JIM CALDWELL

2012: ~ 374.30 (Ranked 26th)  /  24.2 (Ranked 21st) CHUCK PAGANO

2013: ~ 357.10 (Ranked 20th)  /  21.0 (Ranked 9th) CHUCK PAGANO

I believe these are ACCURATE. That being said you can clearly see Dungy was significantly better than Caldwell OR Pagano. Since Pagano took over our defense has not really improved much. Since losing Dungy are defense has kind of gone the other way. I know it's not ALL coaching and players obviously are a huge part of it. But PAGANO has GOT to get this defense figured out. It's far worse of a concern to me than is our offense.

We definitely need some upgraded players on defense and we definitely need some coaching strategy changes and philosophy changes.