Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lets reflect

CR91

OK Ballard isn't the most popular guy right now, but let's put this into perspective.

1. Not active in FA

This FA class has been labeled numerous times as a weak class. Yes I understand we have money and holes, but winning in March does not mean winning in September October November December January or February. Ballard is being smart with the cap instead of being locked in big contracts for average players.

2. Released Hankins

Honestly this left me scratching my head too, but I honestly believe this was influenced more by Hankins then the colts for numerous reasons other then scheme change which honestly don't even think was the biggest reason. Hankins imo did not understand Lucks situation just like the rest of us and doesn't like the direction the team is going and if that is the case, there is the door. Ballard has said from day one this isn't about one player and that is how it should be.

3. Not resigning our own FAs

This imo isn't the biggest issue because we really didn't lose anyone we couldn't replace. Moncrief has been hurt and inconsistent. Melvin and Mingo had one good/solid season. We can find better. Ballard is molding this team for what he understands is a successful team and that is building from within and being smart with the cap. 

Now what has Ballard done to help the team?

He got us 7 picks in the first 2 rounds in the next two years, he's building a culture where everyone is held liable and if you don't perform you will not be a colt, and he's making smart decisions by getting the RIGHT guys instead of just big names.

We will be successful in due time.

I agree there's something bubbling in the water here there's another reason why Hankins was cut and I think we'll find that out pretty soon. It could well be because he gets paid 4 and 1/2 million dollars tomorrow if he still on the roster. It could also be that he does not want to go back to a 4-3 which is strange because he played that in New York . Number 3 three it could be that we have somebody in the works that we're going to sign and announce that the next few days. number 4 we like we have so far and we can add somebody in the draft

33 minutes ago, CR91 said:

OK Ballard isn't the most popular guy right now, but let's put this into perspective.

1. Not active in FA

This FA class has been labeled numerous times as a weak class. Yes I understand we have money and holes, but winning in March does not mean winning in September October November December January or February. Ballard is being smart with the cap instead of being locked in big contracts for average players.

2. Released Hankins

Honestly this left me scratching my head too, but I honestly believe this was influenced more by Hankins then the colts for numerous reasons other then scheme change which honestly don't even think was the biggest reason. Hankins imo did not understand Lucks situation just like the rest of us and doesn't like the direction the team is going and if that is the case, there is the door. Ballard has said from day one this isn't about one player and that is how it should be.

This imo isn't the biggest issue because we really didn't lose anyone we couldn't replace. Moncrief has been hurt and inconsistent. Melvin and Mingo had one good/solid season. We can find better. Ballard is molding this team for what he understands is a successful team and that is building from within and being smart with the cap. 

He got us 7 picks in the first 2 rounds in the next two years, he's building a culture where everyone is held liable and if you don't perform you will not be a colt, and he's making smart decisions by getting the RIGHT guys instead of just big names.

I like what's Ballard doing I really do. But I know as fans we have a long wait ahead of us. I'd say at a minimum we're going to have to wait until the 2019 season to be legitimate contenders.    

29 minutes ago, tvturner said:

Hankins probably asked for his release because he doesn't like to play in a 4-3. Nothing more, nothing less

28 minutes ago, CR91 said:

That's too simple imo

Simple but accurate. Hankins already scheduled an interview with Washington. They run a 3-4. Bet he signs with a 3-4 team. Don’t think he likes 4-3 

3 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Hankins got paid 10 million for last year. He was OK. But not fantastic. Ballard probably felt he wasn't worth that kind of money for another year

15 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

I like what's Ballard doing I really do. But I know as fans we have a long wait ahead of us. I'd say at a minimum we're going to have to wait until the 2019 season to be legitimate contenders.    

44 minutes ago, CR91 said:

That's too simple imo

45 minutes ago, tvturner said:

Hankins probably asked for his release because he doesn't like to play in a 4-3. Nothing more, nothing less

49 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

I agree there's something bubbling in the water here there's another reason why Hankins was cut and I think we'll find that out pretty soon. It could well be because he gets paid 4 and 1/2 million dollars tomorrow if he still on the roster. It could also be that he does not want to go back to a 4-3 which is strange because he played that in New York . Number 3 three it could be that we have somebody in the works that we're going to sign and announce that the next few days. number 4 we like we have so far and we can add somebody in the draft

From the Man in Charge 

1 minute ago, TKnight24 said:

From the Man in Charge 

We finally get our first response and they're talking about a scheme change. It is very interesting they cut him the day before he was about to get over 4 million dollar bonus. All I'm saying it's very very interesting

1 minute ago, indyagent17 said:

We finally get our first response and they're talking about a scheme change. It is very interesting they cut him the day before he was about to get over 4 million dollar bonus. All I'm saying it's very very interesting

Don’t fit your future plans, couldn’t trade him, so you cut him to avoid paying him. Seems pretty simple 

10 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Hankins got paid 10 million for last year. He was OK. But not fantastic. Ballard probably felt he wasn't worth that kind of money for another year

where we are in the cap, I think we could have afforded 10 million../

But If we're switching to a 3-4...it all makes sense

59 minutes ago, CR91 said:

1. Not active in FA

2. Released Hankins

:scoregood:

We are not rebuilding, we are simply restructuring our roster!  There is no such thing as a rebuild when you have a generational QB like Luck so please step away from the ledge as his presence alone counts for 8 wins.  This is a weak FA class so why overpay for mediocre talent when you know your at least one yr away from competing for Championships.  With all that being said I still expect a good team w/ a healthy Andrew Luck for 2018 & go ALL IN 2019.  Pure Genious

17 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

Very interesting or very smart?  I do wonder if the timing of this move signals an abrupt change in the organizational plans pertaining to the offseason.  Why wait til 24hrs?  In same 24hrs, we trade back to 6 & advertising willing to trade back again?  Very Interesting!

26 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

where we are in the cap, I think we could have afforded 10 million../

But If we're switching to a 3-4...it all makes sense

I dont buy the whole "scheme change" story.

The Colts ran a 3-4 last year and are switching to a 4-3 this year (2018)

Hankins came from the Giants... The Giants run a 4-3 and that's what Hankins played in all along.

The defensive front was rotational last year.  There was not a big drop off between the rotational players and Hankins. And 10 million is a lot to pay in Ballard's eyes. 

1 minute ago, 1959Colts said:

The defensive front was rotational last year.  There was not a big drop off between the rotational players and Hankins. And 10 million is a lot to pay in Ballard's eyes.

..I think it comes down to his preference not to play in the kind of defense we want to play.

$10 mil for a year when you're $60,000,000 under the call is irrelevant..we have to spend a minimum amount of money..

But if he doesnt want to do what we want to do (and there is considerable difference between a 4-3 tackle and a 34- tackle, right?) ..it's a win-win to let him go

26 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

That's the business.    You don't pay a guy who isn't sure he wants to pay the style of 'D' we want to play...

I;m OK with it..and he probably is, too.  He'll get paid..and soon

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

1. Not active in FA

2. Released Hankins

Some good points but it's too early to give Ballard credit for getting the "Right guys".  We don't know that yet.  Time will tell.

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

1. Not active in FA

2. Released Hankins

Nice write up CR91. Well thought out, well spaced visually, & well said too. 

PS--It's good to see TK24 back on the forum as well. I like his updates. He always posts beneficial info on INDY players coming or going. 

2 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Nice write up CR91. Well thought out, well spaced visually, & well said too. 

PS--It's good to see TK24 back on the forum as well. I like his updates. He always posts beneficial info on INDY players coming or going. 

I know you will get this Brother!

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/daily-affirmations-ii/3506378?snl=1

1 hour ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Some good points but it's too early to give Ballard credit for getting the "Right guys".  We don't know that yet.  Time will tell.

Simon sheard desir woods. All contributed and played a big part in the defense

1 hour ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Agree 100%.  His 3rd and 4th rd picks this year we’re solid (except for Banner) but weren’t exceptional. It is great to have draft picks but you need to hit on them. 

Ballard says a lot things I believe like “it all starts upfront”, etc... but I need see him actually invest in the lines. 

I thought/hoped he would more aggressive in addressing the OL. If I remember correctly, he brought in a budget player Brian Schwenke and horrible 4th rd draft pick in Zach Banner. Those moves make you question his evaluation skills. Those moves along with this year’s free agency make you question if he is just going to keep talking the talk and not walking the walk. 

A team like the Eagles clearly believe in building the lines. Looks at their draft picks and free agent moves. Going back to Grigson colts just continue to talk about it.

Our OL looks just as bad as when Ballard first arrived. I want to believe he will fix it, but I need to see it. 

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

1. Not active in FA

2. Released Hankins

Well then if Luck is healthy then I would request to be traded or cut because a rebuild like this is going to take 3-5 offseason's and if it does take that long then we just wasted the prime of his career.

Ok, I'll reflect.

My view point is from one learned through 4 decades of watching the NFL. Of course I can't expect those who haven't been through as much, to get what I see, and I have grown weary of trying to share that knowledge. Simply put, the idea of "Now" roster building.....whether correct or incorrect, would take the fun out of being a fan. With an average odds of 1/32 chance of winning a SB, or even 1/16 if we said it wasn't a level competition field, it still means that with a now or never stance, one would hardly ever get to have any fun. 

It would be this perpetual complaining, finger pointing, and frustration. I'll pass.....

But, since I have come to a place where I enjoy the large picture, I have never in my 40 years of being a Colt fan, been more excited about the way this is being built. From day one, our new GM's message has been about how one builds a locker room. Year one, he was suppose to get our coach the players he needed to prove that he could do a better job without the previous GM's affect/control/influence. Whether Chuck failed on his own, or our QB's inability to get on the field did his tenure in, or both.....he still failed. 

Now our GM is truly beginning to build this the way he has likely always wanted to. He has made a solid coach hire, and has assembled a pretty deep and knowledgeable coaching staff, infused with what appears to youthful cutting edge coaches. In one freaking year, the guy has us with money, a crap ton of picks, and is smoothly taking every obstacle that has stood in his way, and rolled over it undaunted. McDaniels? Are you in or are you out.  Flick.

Is it possible that Hankins was in a 4/3, we said "come here and you can be in a 3/4, and now that Pagano is gone and it's back to a 4/3, that Ballard, being quite smart, looked him in the eye before adding another 5 large to his money pile and said, "are you in or out in a 4/3?". I dont think it's that complicated, conspiratorial, nor does the decision lack in GM quality.

I am so happy that he has not flinched and overspent for a single player. He is building a locker room through the draft, and will spend if necessary when the team is either close, or injuries force us too. He spoke eloquently about not overpaying a guy and screwing up the locker room. I guess not everyone listened. 

Cap money can be spent to rewrite existing contracts, spent on players during the draft in a trade scenario, and spent on guys that teams have to release to make it under their cap bar. The idea that he is failing because he has not spent the money does come across as uninformed, but it merely speaks loudly of that fans true desire of what they want from a team they follow. For me? Thank the universe that this GM is not trying to win now at all costs. It would ruin this rare opportunity that is developing within the Colt franchise. They are finally doing this right. 

Please Mr. Ballard...keep rolling, stay undaunted, and build the monster we all hoped to see. I got your back. 

14 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Ok, I'll reflect.

My view point is from one learned through 4 decades of watching the NFL. Of course I can't expect those who haven't been through as much, to get what I see, and I have grown weary of trying to share that knowledge. Simply put, the idea of "Now" roster building.....whether correct or incorrect, would take the fun out of being a fan. With an average odds of 1/32 chance of winning a SB, or even 1/16 if we said it wasn't a level competition field, it still means that with a now or never stance, one would hardly ever get to have any fun. 

It would be this perpetual complaining, finger pointing, and frustration. I'll pass.....

But, since I have come to a place where I enjoy the large picture, I have never in my 40 years of being a Colt fan, been more excited about the way this is being built. From day one, our new GM's message has been about how one builds a locker room. Year one, he was suppose to get our coach the players he needed to prove that he could do a better job without the previous GM's affect/control/influence. Whether Chuck failed on his own, or our QB's inability to get on the field did his tenure in, or both.....he still failed. 

Now our GM is truly beginning to build this the way he has likely always wanted to. He has made a solid coach hire, and has assembled a pretty deep and knowledgeable coaching staff, infused with what appears to youthful cutting edge coaches. In one freaking year, the guy has us with money, a crap ton of picks, and is smoothly taking every obstacle that has stood in his way, and rolled over it undaunted. McDaniels? Are you in or are you out.  Flick.

Is it possible that Hankins was in a 4/3, we said "come here and you can be in a 3/4, and now that Pagano is gone and it's back to a 4/3, that Ballard, being quite smart, looked him in the eye before adding another 5 large to his money pile and said, "are you in or out in a 4/3?". I dont think it's that complicated, conspiratorial, nor does the decision lack in GM quality.

I am so happy that he has not flinched and overspent for a single player. He is building a locker room through the draft, and will spend if necessary when the team is either close, or injuries force us too. He spoke eloquently about not overpaying a guy and screwing up the locker room. I guess not everyone listened. 

Cap money can be spent to rewrite existing contracts, spent on players during the draft in a trade scenario, and spent on guys that teams have to release to make it under their cap bar. The idea that he is failing because he has not spent the money is not a silly stance at all, it merely speaks loudly of that fans true desire of what they want from a team they follow. For me? Thank the universe that this GM is not trying to win now at all costs. It would ruin this rare opportunity that is developing within the Colt franchise. They are finally doing this right. 

Please Mr. Ballard...keep rolling, stay undaunted, and build the monster we all hoped to see. I got your back. 

Nice post. I agree especially with the bolded paragraph. Lets destroy this draft!

9 hours ago, CR91 said:

Simon sheard desir woods. All contributed and played a big part in the defense

Yet Desir is testing free agency...dont know if Ballard will resign. The others were free agent signings from last year and may or may not be part of the big picture.  As a I said still too early to tell. It’s only been a year. 

All I can say is this, Ballard had a plan. As frustrating or odd as it may be that he hasn't brought in more than 1 free agent, so far, he clearly is sticking to his method of how he wants to build this team, and I give him credit for that. I know patience can wear thin quickly, especially when you have a franchise QB, who is coming off a major injury, and is at the height of his career, and you feel like they will miss an opportunity at winning a Super Bowl or 2. 

Perhaps, the limited amount of free agent signings is an indicator that he wants to preserve some cap space for, hopefully, re-signing his picks and UDFA, who, again, hopefully, turn out to be great, or very good, core pieces, down the road.

I don't know how it will play out, but I'm willing to give him a chance.

15 hours ago, CR91 said:

1. Not active in FA

2. Released Hankins

i hope he finds a starter or two from his draft picks that can start in a few years

In a league where uncertainty of player availability is the norm, any move for a single player is fraught with risk. The better long term plan for success is to establish rules governing player selection criteria and player cost. Once that plan is established the rest is just the hard work of research and some much needed luck (small and big L). I personally like the direction I've seen from Chris Ballard thus far.