Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts to Interview McDaniels on Thursday

Steamboat_Shaun

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, HectorRoberts said:

The only qbs he’s has is Brady and Tebow... he was a failure in Denver and the rams... he’s bill belichicks water boy and nothing more. Let’s hire a real candidate and let someone else have this head ache.

The top candidate for most jobs the past 2 seasons is a water boy? You're funny 

4 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

The top candidate for most jobs the past 2 seasons is a water boy? You're funny 

Apparently, he’s 9-17 as a head coach and gets rid of every player that crosses him. He’s train wreck, and if we hire him we are going to have top 5 draft picks for a long time.

16 minutes ago, HectorRoberts said:

Apparently, he’s 9-17 as a head coach and gets rid of every player that crosses him. He’s train wreck, and if we hire him we are going to have top 5 draft picks for a long time.

Whatever you say I'm 150% sure the pros know way more then you do 

KC is up 7 nothing on the Titans.  They say if the Titans lose they are going to fire Mularkey.

You know it's going to happen if it's on NFL.com blatantly like that.   Article says they are going

after Mcdaniels.   GM is from the Patriots and they have a lot of solid pieces including a ready

made offensive line.  To put something out there like that makes me think they know they have

a pretty good shot at getting him.  I can totally see Mariota in that offense.

Per NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport, coach Mike Mularkey is in danger of being fired if his team doesn't come out of its wild-card game against the Kansas City Chiefs with a win. Rapoport added Tennessee is preparing to make a run at New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels if Mularkey can't get them to the Divisional Round next weekend.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000903168/article/mike-mularkeys-titans-tenure-could-end-if-team-loses

12 minutes ago, krunk said:

KC is up 7 nothing on the Titans.  They say if the Titans lose they are going to fire Mularkey.

You know it's going to happen if it's on NFL.com blatantly like that.   Article says they are going

after Mcdaniels.   GM is from the Patriots and they have a lot of solid pieces including a ready

made offensive line.  To put something out there like that makes me think they know they have

a pretty good shot at getting him.  I can totally see Mariota in that offense.

Per NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport, coach Mike Mularkey is in danger of being fired if his team doesn't come out of its wild-card game against the Kansas City Chiefs with a win. Rapoport added Tennessee is preparing to make a run at New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels if Mularkey can't get them to the Divisional Round next weekend.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000903168/article/mike-mularkeys-titans-tenure-could-end-if-team-loses

Man the Titans brass is ungrateful if they fire Murlarchy after only 2 seasons. 2 seasons in which they were 9-7 both years. I will forever hate the Titans if they do this and steal McDaniels from the Colts. Indy has a better situation over Tennessee anyways with not 1 but 2 proven and capable QBs, tons of cap space, a top 3 pick, and better legacy over the Titans. 

7 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Man the Titans brass is ungrateful if they fire Murlarchy after only 2 seasons. 2 seasons in which they were 9-7 both years. I will forever hate the Titans if they do this and steal McDaniels from the Colts. Indy has a better situation over Tennessee anyways with not 1 but 2 proven and capable QBs, tons of cap space, a top 3 pick, and better legacy over the Titans. 

KC up 14-0 Now

13 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I don't know that we are that far ahead of them if at all.   They pretty much have solid pieces all across the offense. Not really much to improve there.    They have a solid front 7 on D, could use a piece here or there at ILB, but overall it's a good front.  All they really need outside of that is a piece here or there in the secondary, but they have Byard and a young Adoree Jackson that's growing.  All they really need is defensive pieces and that should be available even at where they will be picking. 

3 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

While I agree it would be wrong if the Titans fired Murlarchy if they do hire McDaniels it really wouldn't be stealing him from the Colts. You cant steal something you never had.

If McDaniels chooses the Titans over the Colts it would be personal preference for him going to work with someone he is familiar with, not that he is slighting the Colts.

13 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

While I agree it would be wrong if the Titans fired Murlarchy if they do hire McDaniels it really wouldn't be stealing him from the Colts. You cant steal something you never had.

If McDaniels chooses the Titans over the Colts it would be personal preference for him going to work with someone he is familiar with, not that he is slighting the Colts.

Or perhaps, like the Raiders are expected to do with Gruden...

Tennessee will make McDaniels... 

"An offer he can't refuse?". $$$

34 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Colts have Brissett and that's it at the moment. The fact that Luck may or may not be back is probably the main reason why a guy like McDaniels would pass.

2 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Colts have Brissett and that's it at the moment. The fact that Luck may or may not be back is probably the main reason why a guy like McDaniels would pass.

Maybe not. McDaniels is familiar with the Titans GM. They are both from New England from what I understand.

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Maybe not. McDaniels is familiar with the Titans GM. They are both from New England from what I understand.

Could be. An article stated that he had a good relationship with Ballard too. Just because he worked with someone before doesnt mean that he likes him. Heck, I've worked with quite a few people i didnt like lol.

2 hours ago, HectorRoberts said:

The only qbs he’s has is Brady and Tebow... he was a failure in Denver and the rams... he’s bill belichicks water boy and nothing more. Let’s hire a real candidate and let someone else have this head ache.

Jesus......he went 6-0 at one time with Kyle flipping orton and 3-1 with grappollo and brisett. Made cassell a 60 million dollar QB. Matt cassell

Yeaaah I really wouldn't be surprised to end up seeing McDaniels in Tennessee.

Even not knowing about the GM-Patriot connection, which I didn't until a couple days ago, they just have a solid roster already in place. A QB, good pieces on the O-line, a good young RB, good young WR in Davis. And enough pieces on defense, young guys especially.

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Jesus......he went 6-0 at one time with Kyle flipping orton and 3-1 with grappollo and brisett. Made cassell a 60 million dollar QB. Matt cassell

Yep he did go 6-0 with orton, then he went 2-8 with orton... He also traded away what many denver fans believed to be their franchise quarterback (jay cutler) because he “didn’t trust McDaniels” and their star receiver (Brandon Marshall) for similar reasons. The only positive thing he did for Denver is put them in position to draft von Miller with the #2 pick. Then he finds himself with the rams running their offense, and proves he’s not even qualified to do that due to his firing at the end of the 2011 season. He ends up in New England riding the coattails of Brady and belichick once again.

10 minutes ago, HectorRoberts said:

Yep he did go 6-0 with orton, then he went 2-8 with orton... He also traded away what many denver fans believed to be their franchise quarterback (jay cutler) because he “didn’t trust McDaniels” and their star receiver (Brandon Marshall) for similar reasons. The only positive thing he did for Denver is put them in position to draft von Miller with the #2 pick. Then he finds himself with the rams running their offense, and proves he’s not even qualified to do that due to his firing at the end of the 2011 season. He ends up in New England riding the coattails of Brady and belichick once again.

Yea because Cutler turned out so great and what exactly the rams have back in 2011 for him to work with. 

6 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Yea because Cutler turned out so great and what exactly the rams have back in 2011 for him to work with. 

He had Bradford, jasckson, admandola,Brandon lloyd and a strong o-line. Everything an “offensive genius” needs to be successful. And back in 2008 jay Cutler had all the potential in the world, but hasn’t quite reached it yet, kind of like our #12

6 minutes ago, HectorRoberts said:

He had Bradford, jasckson, admandola,Brandon lloyd and a strong o-line. Everything an “offensive genius” needs to be successful. And back in 2008 jay Cutler had all the potential in the world, but hasn’t quite reached it yet, kind of like our #12

You can't be serious. This conversation is done. 

I don't understand some of the hate on Josh. He's admitted himself that he did some things wrong in his first stint as a young hc with FULL control. I hate the Patriots more than anyone but as far as a playcaller and former hc learning under Bill B while working with Brady on a daily basis all while collecting rings in the process would help Luck or whoever plays qb next year big time and I would take him in a heartbeat. I saw Brady in a recent interview speaking on how Josh comes up with different offensive gameplans from week to week to attack opposing defenses and that his vast knowledge of the game is amazing. Even when Brady, Grunk or any other key offensive player is out the Patriots don't miss a beat. I'd rather have him leading this team as an hc under Ballard than ANY of his KC buddies with NO hc experience. Reminds me of Chuck plugging all his "subpar" friends on his coaching staff.

I for one am still not 100% sold on Ballard just yet and would have liked a proven gm instead of another first timer like Grigs before him. I grade him a C+ so far because I did like some of his moves BUT his choice for hc will be HUGE in molding this team for the future. Another lackluster subpar hire will set this team back again in the "quest for greatness" as Irsay likes to put it. The upcoming draft with Ballard's scouts will tell the story so buckle up and hope for the best!!!!

11 hours ago, CR91 said:

You can't be serious. This conversation is done. 

That Denver offense with Cutler and Marshall, etc was the #2 defense in the NFL in 2008. So it was good, indeed. McDaniels inherited an elite offense, and made it one of the worst in 18 months time. Can an "offensive guru" do worse than that? 

And the worst part was, that he wanted CASSEL over Cutler. He turned every stone to find a way to bring Cassell in Denver. The only reason he couldn't grab him was the Broncos co-GM, who did not let McDaniels orverbid the Chiefs's offer. McDaniel's fired that co-GM a few weeks later.

Don't get me wrong, I am not against hiring JMD. Actually, he is one of my favourites for the job. I believe he learned from his mistakes. And if he did, he might end up a great HC, because the guy is undeniably talented.

But what he did in Denver, was the worst I have ever witnessed. And i've been following NFL for 30+ years. He did run amuck there.

4 hours ago, Peterk2011 said:

That Denver offense with Cutler and Marshall, etc was the #2 defense in the NFL in 2008. So it was good, indeed. McDaniels inherited an elite offense, and made it one of the worst in 18 months time. Can an "offensive guru" do worse than that? 

And the worst part was, that he wanted CASSEL over Cutler. He turned every stone to find a way to bring Cassell in Denver. The only reason he couldn't grab him was the Broncos co-GM, who did not let McDaniels orverbid the Chiefs's offer. McDaniel's fired that co-GM a few weeks later.

Don't get me wrong, I am not against hiring JMD. Actually, he is one of my favourites for the job. I believe he learned from his mistakes. And if he did, he might end up a great HC, because the guy is undeniably talented.

But what he did in Denver, was the worst I have ever witnessed. And i've been following NFL for 30+ years. He did run amuck there.

You're talking about a one year fluke. What did Cutler do in his career to make you think he could do that consistently

14 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

I don't understand some of the hate on Josh. He's admitted himself that he did some things wrong in his first stint as a young hc with FULL control. I hate the Patriots more than anyone but as far as a playcaller and former hc learning under Bill B while working with Brady on a daily basis all while collecting rings in the process would help Luck or whoever plays qb next year big time and I would take him in a heartbeat. I saw Brady in a recent interview speaking on how Josh comes up with different offensive gameplans from week to week to attack opposing defenses and that his vast knowledge of the game is amazing. Even when Brady, Grunk or any other key offensive player is out the Patriots don't miss a beat. I'd rather have him leading this team as an hc under Ballard than ANY of his KC buddies with NO hc experience. Reminds me of Chuck plugging all his "subpar" friends on his coaching staff.

I for one am still not 100% sold on Ballard just yet and would have liked a proven gm instead of another first timer like Grigs before him. I grade him a C+ so far because I did like some of his moves BUT his choice for hc will be HUGE in molding this team for the future. Another lackluster subpar hire will set this team back again in the "quest for greatness" as Irsay likes to put it. The upcoming draft with Ballard's scouts will tell the story so buckle up and hope for the best!!!!

You're right, his choice for HC is crucial to the team and his appraisal as a GM.

But I differ with your opinion on how he's done so far.  I thought the draft was at least a B, if not higher, but time will really tell.  The FAs he brought in all did well, and their contracts were all team friendly for the most part.

I don't want to turn this into a Ballard thread, I just wanted to state that Ballard has done a lot better than above average IMHO.

As far as JM, I think he's by far the most accomplished of all of our candidates so far.  

24 minutes ago, CR91 said:

You're talking about a one year fluke. What did Cutler do in his career to make you think he could do that consistently

My point wasn't Cutler. My point was McDaniels. Why don't you ask what did McDaniels see in Cassell over Cutler?

15 minutes ago, Peterk2011 said:

Ok. I think I quit.

he won with cassell so I guess he figured he could. we know what cutler would become so obviously he had the hindsight to get rid of him before rest of denver found out as well. if anything he helped denver in that remark.

Cutler has been documented forever as being a bit Jeff George'ish, so maybe he was correct on that matter? Might not like the results, but if Cutler is malcontent of sorts I get the move.

Did he get rid of Marshall? If I'm not mistaken I think that's prior to Marshall being diagnosed with his bi-polar? Maybe he also was a negative so he did what a coach does to problem players. Gets rid of them.

*I could be totally wrong on the Marshall situation.

I wouldn't exclude him because of his Denver stint, that was a long time ago.

Without proof I'd bet he's learned a ton from those days. Came back to NE after the den and St.Louis stints and took more lessons from the hoody.

On 1/6/2018 at 1:33 AM, Indyfan4life said:

The hate for JM is a bit much here. 

He was young and had...not great options at QB back in the day. All reports indicate he has grown up and done quite a bit of maturing since those days. Just because he wasn’t great once doesn’t mean he wouldn’t be now. Pete Carroll wasn’t a great coach his first time in the NFL. That’s why he went back to college and became better. Aside from some stupid calls that all coaches make at some point in their careers, he’s been good. 

I would be anxious and excited to see what he could do with our team and offense given the right moves in FA and the draft. 

People also easily forget Belichick's tenure with the Browns. He made his fair share of mistakes there and learned from them. The great thing about having marketability as a head coach after you already failed being a head coach is the opportunity to learn from your mistakes. McDaniels is fortunate to have that opportunity and I'd rather roll with him than a guy who fell into coaching and his experience is strength and conditioning plus special teams.