Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eli Manning benched

chad72

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Anybody else thinking Eli may finish his career in Jacksonville with Tom Caughlin? I've been thinking that for a while now.

That rumor swirled shortly before the trade deadline. It was obviously attention-grabbing media hype and totally false. I know that because none of the reports quoted comments by Tom Coughlin, Dave Caldwell, or Doug Marrone about a possible interest in acquiring Eli Manning. People who know Caldwell know he would not consider signing an old QB on the downside of his career and, despite losing control of the active roster, he still has a big influence on it.

16 minutes ago, IinD said:

I could definitely see him going to Jax now. That would be ironic to have a Manning kick our butt for a few years.

I still don't see how you bench him for Gino Smith? Lol

Maybe when Eli plays us, he will take a knee all game out of respect. We love you, Eli. Don't kick our butts!

2 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Anybody else thinking Eli may finish his career in Jacksonville with Tom Caughlin? I'ce been thinking that for a while now.

Exactly what i thought when i heard he was benched.  Caughlin made a point to express his disagreement.

hey, worked pretty good for his brother.  Maybe even Elwaybwill call again.

1 hour ago, IinD said:

I could definitely see him going to Jax now. That would be ironic to have a Manning kick our butt for a few years.

I still don't see how you bench him for Gino Smith? Lol

I'd say, at this point, they dont want Eli messin up their top-two or three pick that they will use on a QB.

30 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

I'd say, at this point, they dont want Eli messin up their top-two or three pick that they will use on a QB.

I honestly don't know his contract situation, but Jax would definitely benefit. With Eli, they'd run the south for a few years with that D.

3 hours ago, JaguarsWoman said:

That rumor swirled shortly before the trade deadline. It was obviously attention-grabbing media hype and totally false. I know that because none of the reports quoted comments by Tom Coughlin, Dave Caldwell, or Doug Marrone about a possible interest in acquiring Eli Manning. People who know Caldwell know he would not consider signing an old QB on the downside of his career and, despite losing control of the active roster, he still has a big influence on it.

Thats a team that could contend with competant QB play. Bortles is not the answer. They'd be smart to explore it next year. I could also see the Broncos taking a look next year if they fail to land a top QB in the draft. Double up on Mannings.

52 minutes ago, life long said:

A very unfitting end to such a valiant streak. Eli had a qbr in the 80s. He was not the sole reasons for the losses. Smith and Webb likely will do worse. Shame on the Giants and respect to Eli for taking the demotion with class like Peyton had done as well. 

From what I have heard here, it was Eli who suggested the benching. This from my favorite sports radio personality:

e14c9cfeab67d0d15aba886ce0dba615?s=50&d=

An Unselfish Leader

by Richard Neer

If anyone had doubts about Eli Manning's leadership, they should be dispelled after his statements today. He said that McAdoo had offered him the opportunity to start against the Raiders to keep his streak alive, but he told the coach to start Geno Smith instead and agreed with the plan to give snaps to Davis Webb.
He has no realistic chance to pass Favre for the all time consecutive start record, but he could have added to his second place margin. He rightly declined, making it clear that he wants to eli-300x155.jpgcompete but team needs come first.

https://richardneer.com/an-unselfish-leader/

I think he ends up in Denver, somehow. Elway doubles down on Mannings and big bro backs it up.

For Patriots fans (or this one anyway), even after the last two Super Bowl wins, Eli Manning is like your girl’s ex who shows up at a party you’re attending... you smile uneasily and say hi but you’re like, “I’m watching you, dude. Don’t. Just don’t.” 

But what a total give up move by an otherwise highly respectable franchise. Maybe next week they should trot out a substitute coach too, because how can they not clean house now? 

2 hours ago, IinD said:

I honestly don't know his contract situation, but Jax would definitely benefit. With Eli, they'd run the south for a few years with that D.

There is no guarantee Eli Manning will still be playing several years from now. If all the Jaguars needed was a QB they certainly would have traded for one under age 35.

41 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

I don't get why they benched him for Geno. Everyone knows what Geno is. They just drafted Davis Webb, seems like they would want to see what they have in him.

That's the best point..They benched him for Geno?..who has started 30 games.?

...What's he going to prove.

Why not let Eli start the rest of the year and then find someone new.....or go to the rookie

Edited by oldunclemark

25 minutes ago, GoPats said:

I think he ends up in Denver, somehow. Elway doubles down on Mannings and big bro backs it up.

For Patriots fans (or this one anyway), even after the last two Super Bowl wins, Eli Manning is like your girl’s ex who shows up at a party you’re attending... you smile uneasily and say hi but you’re like, “I’m watching you, dude. Don’t. Just don’t.” 

But what a total give up move by an otherwise highly respectable franchise. Maybe next week they should trot out a substitute coach too, because how can they not clean house now? 

Think its rather laughable for anyone(especially a Pats fan no less) would think Eli would want to go to the Broncos.

Because he hasn't lived in Peyton shadow his entire life he just wants to continue to do so.

Plus despite Manning retiring after winning an SB it was pretty obvious if he didn't retire the Broncos would've cut him. I don't think its forgotten in that family.

I think its either Jags or retirement if the Giants aren't an option anymore.

8 minutes ago, JaguarsWoman said:

There is no guarantee Eli Manning will still be playing several years from now. If all the Jaguars needed was a QB they certainly would have traded for one under age 35.

As a jag fan I'm sure you know your team better then I do.

I was only stating a 2/3 run of Eli I'd take over Bortles. Eli can still play (as someone who watches all giants games), that team is terrible and that coach is terrible'er'. :)

Players I think would come to Jax to try and make a SB run with a Manning.

Totally just random thoughts by me.

11 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Niot much difference between a Top-3 pick and a Top-6 picks..

..and Eli wasnt tearing up opposing defense with no line and no WR

Not to start an argument, but i see a HUGE difference between pick 3 and 6 in most drafts.  In most drafts, There dont seem to be 6 "freaks" but many times 3.  Imo.

but actually, my original comment was meant to be more funny than fact.

5 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

I don't see why it couldn't happen. They do need a QB. 

So does Jacksonville and a bunch of other teams in this league.

And at least in Jacksonville he would reunite with Coughlin and not have to worry about being compared to his brother who was a QB at Denver.

They go out of their way to not have their career paths intersect.

4 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

I don't see why it couldn't happen. They do need a QB. 

That's my point also.

Would be a great situation and his bro would literally be a wealth of info into all things Broncos. The D would get better simply because they'd get some help because they are horrible on O.

2 minutes ago, CF4L said:

So does Jacksonville and a bunch of other teams in this league.

And at least in Jacksonville he would reunite with Coughlin and not have to worry about being compared to his brother who was a QB at Denver.

They go out of their way to not have their career paths intersect.

I honestly think all bets are off now in regards to careers crossing. Peyton isn't around anymore so Eli (as Manning's always do) will put himself in the best position to win. If it's Denver, he's going there.

6 hours ago, Qwiz said:

Nah. He can continue playing in New York if he signs with the Jets :)

That would be ironic, considering Jeno came from the Jets. Something tells me the Jets wouldn't mind that QB swap at all! A lot of teams could do a lot worse than Eli!

3 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Niot much difference between a Top-3 pick and a Top-6 picks..

..and Eli wasnt tearing up opposing defense with no line and no WR

The Giants said nothing about trying to secure the #3 pick behind the Browns and 49ers. They know it will be a Top 5, maybe #2 if a couple other teams start doing some things right. The truth is Ben McAdoo shuld be unemployed on the last day of 2017.

15 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Anybody else thinking Eli may finish his career in Jacksonville with Tom Caughlin? I'ce been thinking that for a while now.

It is not the same situation and most times everyone thinks one thing it seldom comes to pass. Bortles is so bad that if they just had an average QB they would be much better off. Would Coughlin be doing Manning a favor by bringing him on? His job is the Jags, not Manning.

10 hours ago, NFLfan said:

From what I have heard here, it was Eli who suggested the benching. This from my favorite sports radio personality:

e14c9cfeab67d0d15aba886ce0dba615?s=50&d=

An Unselfish Leader

by Richard Neer

If anyone had doubts about Eli Manning's leadership, they should be dispelled after his statements today. He said that McAdoo had offered him the opportunity to start against the Raiders to keep his streak alive, but he told the coach to start Geno Smith instead and agreed with the plan to give snaps to Davis Webb.
He has no realistic chance to pass Favre for the all time consecutive start record, but he could have added to his second place margin. He rightly declined, making it clear that he wants to eli-300x155.jpgcompete but team needs come first.

https://richardneer.com/an-unselfish-leader/

The true story is that McAdoo offered to start Eli for the streak and play the first half.  Then Geno would play the second half.  Eli responded in this fashion-

“Coach McAdoo told me I could continue to start while Geno and Davis are given an opportunity to play,” Manning said. “My feeling is that if you are going to play the other guys, play them. Starting just to keep the streak going and knowing you won’t finish the game and have a chance to win it is pointless to me, and it tarnishes the streak. Like I always have, I will be ready to play if and when I am needed. I will help Geno and Davis prepare to play as well as they possibly can.”

My question, is hypothetical...  should Eli have actually agreed to start half #1 and somehow (with worst O line and receiver set in the NFL, IMHO) tossed a few TD's, would they still pull him for Geno in the 2nd half?   And McAdoo told reporters he felt he could draft plans to place Smith in a position to win.  Why weren't those plans in place for Eli? 

Interesting sidenote / Eli fact.  Since he got the NY Giants starting QB job, every other NFL team.... (all 31 others) have started at least 3 other QB's during the last 13 years (where the Giants have started just Eli !!)  and I heard every other NFC East team has started at least 10 QB's during that stretch.

This... 

Might be what tanking actually looks like. I'm siding with Eli on this. To start a game but not finish on purpose is a complete smack in the face. 

Good luck Geno Smith. The Giants OL might be worse than ours. 

Raiders defense might have a fantasy worthy day this weekend. 

Eli showed class by refusing to start a game to continue a streak. However, I hope that the Raiders have a field day Sunday. It will show McAdoo that it's not entirely Eli's fault, and that this was a bad move. 

Thinking about putting Raider's defense on one of my fantasy leagues. Maybe even the offense.