Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

LIVE thread: Peyton Manning statue unveiling

MTC

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Is Peyton the greatest player of all-time? If you had the number 1 pick in an all-time Draft would you take him #1? I would even over Tommy and Montana and over guys like Jim Brown and LTaylor.

Hard to say...Is he the greatest Colt QB ever over Johnny Unitas....?  I dont know.

........But he's our Michael Jordan......set the modern standard for QBs

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

Hard to say...Is he the greatest Colt QB ever over Johnny Unitas....?  I dont know.

Yeah in an all-time Draft Peyton, Tommy, Montana, Unitas, and Elway would be real high on my draft board QB wise, so would Marino. RB's wise I love me some Jim Brown who was strong and could run through a wall, love Emmitt too because he can play with injury and is just solid in every area.

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Is Peyton the greatest player of all-time? If you had the number 1 pick in an all-time Draft would you take him #1? I would even over Tommy and Montana and over guys like Jim Brown and LTaylor.

3 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Peyton Manning is the Most Valuable Player of all-time.  :thmup:

7 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

It's hard to see the face behind the face mask, but based on the screenshots I'm seeing, if the statue wasn't wearing a blue #18 jersey, I would have no way of knowing it's Peyton. What is it with statues that makes it so hard to capture someone's face? Yes, not only was the Ronaldo statue a problem, but remember the horrid Lucille Ball statue?

Yeah it's not nearly as bad as the Ronaldo statue.  It looks just like him from far away, but when you look at the face close up, it's not quite Peyton...  O.o

I remember thinking at one point "I wonder who's the best living sculptor on the planet?  I bet they could get Peytons' face right.  Irsay could afford it..."

But considering it was made by a local firefighter, I'd say it's pretty good.  :thmup:

2 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

But considering it was made by a local firefighter, I'd say it's pretty good.  :thmup:

Oh, I didn't know that. That fact also speaks to their latest slogan of ColtsForged if they had a Hoosier make the statue. Well yea, if it was made by a local firefighter then it's better for sure, but I wish we could have gotten in our time machine and brought back a Greek sculpter, since apparently no one on this Earth anymore knows how to put proper faces on statues.

3 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Yeah it's not nearly as bad as the Ronaldo statue.  It looks just like him from far away, but when you look at the face close up, it's not quite Peyton...  O.o

I remember thinking at one point "I wonder who's the best living sculptor on the planet?  I bet they could get Peytons' face right.  Irsay could afford it..."

Well, they didnt quite get Ned Stark's face just right either.

even Arya thought it was a bad likeness.

i guess faces are tough.  Wonder why they dont get the hall of fame "bust guy?"  They are usually pretty good.

3 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Well, they didnt quite get Ned Stark's face just right either.

even Arya thought it was a bad likeness.

i guess faces are tough.  Wonder why they dont get the hall of fame "bust guy?"  They are usually pretty good.

Bro, you keep dropping GoT and I might develope a man crush. Fav show!

After seeing Peyton choking back tears during him thanking Irsay, I think if Irsay asked enough, I'd say Peyton would come back as a coach or even a front office job. Not saying it'll happen, but there is some obvious love between those two guys . 

11 minutes ago, Jules said:

Great photos Gramz, thank you for those.

Honestly, that statue looks pretty damn sweet. I am not big on these things but it's VERY well done and looks really classic.

We were very fortunate to be up front for this, and also having seats right next to the tunnel today.  I took over 200 photos between the two days, but just shared a few of my favorites.   So fun seeing Marvin and Edge and so many others this weekend.

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

After seeing Peyton choking back tears during him thanking Irsay, I think if Irsay asked enough, I'd say Peyton would come back as a coach or even a front office job. Not saying it'll happen, but there is some obvious love between those two guys . 

I don’t see Peyton coaching but I could see him working in the front office some how.  

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t see Peyton coaching but I could see him working in the front office some how.  

Unless it's in an active role, I don't see Peyton's competitiveness allowing that though. I do see him more as a coach, but right now I think he's enjoying retired life. But we'll see. Heck, he could even join as the Colts announcer for radio shows along side Sorgi and Lamey

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Unless it's in an active role, I don't see Peyton's competitiveness allowing that though. I do see him more as a coach, but right now I think he's enjoying retired life. But we'll see. Heck, he could even join as the Colts announcer for radio shows along side Sorgi and Lamey

Coaches get fired. Odds are if he’s in the front office the Colts would do it in away he can’t be fired.  

If Peyton is going to do Media he will be on the national stage.  No disrespect to Reggie Wayne but he’s a national guy if he is Peyton would have zero problem being a national guy.

9 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Peyton threw his last TD pass yesterday. Nice to watch. Good exchange between Saturday and Peyton. So now where does he go? Many rumors of getting back in football.

That was a highlight yesterday.  It was fun to be right down near this and seeing it in person.  You could feel the love all these players have for him and each other. It is a special group we had here for many years.

During pregame warmups, several were right in front of us and you could hear the conversations.  I loved seeing Marvin and Edge, and Reggie, and Dallas, and Brandon, Jeff, and the list goes on.  At one point during the warmup's Reggie dashed across the field to hug and embrace Garcon.  It's really great the bond these guys have.

Not sure what Peyton will do. He seems content for the time being, doing what he's doing. 

11 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Peyton threw his last TD pass yesterday. Nice to watch. Good exchange between Saturday and Peyton. So now where does he go? Many rumors of getting back in football.

I think he likes retirement and watching his kids. He keeps talking about taking them to school.. I believe he still lives in Denver and any football job would require him to move his family..

He' s not going to be a TV commentator and criticize other QBs, including his brother.

Peyton seems really happy and I'd guess he's going to spend a couple more years on his 'bucket list'. all the things he couldn't do while he was playing

Edited by oldunclemark

15 hours ago, Gramz said:

Photos I took this weekend at the Statue unveiling.

large_056.JPG.690b2804cf9aec64b4b02b82907691ef.JPGlarge_044.JPG.4b5f41d99272120366bbb5474af08b00.JPGlarge_059.JPG.26398c255b3bd93635af4ac79fc79781.JPGlarge_067.JPG.59cffc5ffd3d51e0bf92019de948e1f2.JPGlarge_082.JPG.fb7d87fed665c03ec6df04113f7f7fb3.JPG

Thanks Gram...I couldn't be there for the ceremony as we didn't get into Indiana til late Saturday (thanks to my wife's shopping) but I did see Peyton out before the game taking pictures for several hours. Class guy! (like we didn't know that already) I will say I was a little disappointed Irsay rambled on for like 12 of the 15 minutes during halftime...we are all screaming to let Peyton talk lol...but overall it was a fun occasion...and that last Saturday snap to Peyton to post to Reggie was awesome! The game might have been underwhelming with the exception of the win but the day was made with reliving a few found memories! Thanks for sharing!

34 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I think he likes retirement and watching his kids. He keeps talking about taking them to school.. I believe he still lives in Denver and any football job would require him to move his family..

He' s not going to be a TV commentator and criticize other QBs, including his brother.

Peyton seems really happy and I'd guess he's going to spend a couple more years on his 'bucket list'. all the things he couldn't do while he was playing

I agree....I think he sees what his dad was for him and wants to do the same for his kids....its a rare thing to be able to literally be at home to watch your kids grow up...why leave that if you don't have to. He is involved in enough activities that he keeps himself busy. When I watch him breaking down tape for Tennessee or standing talking to coaches at a practice I do get the feeling he would be right at home. I think he knows the kind of perfectionist that he is and the preparation he would put into it...and he realizes that wouldn't be good for him at this point in his life. Sure I'd love to have him and Coach Dungy on Sunday night breaking down plays and coverages....do I think he could easily out do Romo as a color guy...definitely! But I'm absolutely sure he is doing the right thing for him and his family. I do think at some point the itch might come back...and he would get into something....but maybe he will just coach his kids lol...and that might be enough.

12 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Thanks Gram...I couldn't be there for the ceremony as we didn't get into Indiana til late Saturday (thanks to my wife's shopping) but I did see Peyton out before the game taking pictures for several hours. Class guy! (like we didn't know that already) I will say I was a little disappointed Irsay rambled on for like 12 of the 15 minutes during halftime...we are all screaming to let Peyton talk lol...but overall it was a fun occasion...and that last Saturday snap to Peyton to post to Reggie was awesome! The game might have been underwhelming with the exception of the win but the day was made with reliving a few found memories! Thanks for sharing!

You're welcome.  I'm sorry you had to miss this.  It was great, but crazy crowded.  We got there early, and took our spot up front and  we had no idea just how many people were there until we were leaving after the ceremony.  It was insane. Haha. I wonder, did anyone have a "count" of the total attendance?

I just watched Peyton's speech and Letterman's speech on youtube...time well spent. One thing Peyton said stands out. He said, "You never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory." His future in whatever he does will be as bright as his past.

5 minutes ago, Gramz said:

You're welcome.  I'm sorry you had to miss this.  It was great, but crazy crowded.  We got there early, and took our spot up front and  we had no idea just how many people were there until we were leaving after the ceremony.  It was insane. Haha. I wonder, did anyone have a "count" of the total attendance?

Have no clue but I bet it was packed...before the game we just wanted to get a picture next to the statue me and my wife and it was lined way up with huge crowd around...I was thinking "what the heck" it was way well before the game..I figured there would just be a small crowd doing what we were doing...then I saw Peyton taking the time to shake everyone's hand and get a picture...had I known I would have arrived much earlier as my wife has never met Peyton. Glad I was at both the 10 year SB reunion and this game...made half time very very enjoyable although sad to see so many fans leave after the half...couldn't believe how many empty seats were there in a close game. Granted it wasn't a pretty game but I've never seen Colts fans leave early outside a blow out.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Have no clue but I bet it was packed...before the game we just wanted to get a picture next to the statue me and my wife and it was lined way up with huge crowd around...I was thinking "what the heck" it was way well before the game..I figured there would just be a small crowd doing what we were doing...then I saw Peyton taking the time to shake everyone's hand and get a picture...had I known I would have arrived much earlier as my wife has never met Peyton. Glad I was at both the 10 year SB reunion and this game...made half time very very enjoyable although sad to see so many fans leave after the half...couldn't believe how many empty seats were there in a close game. Granted it wasn't a pretty game but I've never seen Colts fans leave early outside a blow out.

We saw Peyton before the game out by the statue.  When I get home I will attempt to upload a few of those photos from my camera.  It was very gracious of him to spend so much time with the fans.  Yes, lots of empty seats after the half, but it was pretty full to capacity up until then.  Obviously most were there to see him