Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Practice 8/22/17

TKnight24

19 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

What sucks is they will not allow for this so called competition they keep talking about.  I truly believe that they see Tolzein as the vanilla and mundane type of player that will not try and do anything special.  Rather, he will just be a short throw no turnover type guy, similar to Alex Smith.  The difference obviously is Tolzein sucks and is not Smith but rather someone who will put up 20-32 140 yards and 0TD's 1 INT.  He is just not that good all around.  Morris might at least push the ball down field.  Let Morris play with the 1's and see what he does......Please!

22 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

What sucks is they will not allow for this so called competition they keep talking about.  I truly believe that they see Tolzein as the vanilla and mundane type of player that will not try and do anything special.  Rather, he will just be a short throw no turnover type guy, similar to Alex Smith.  The difference obviously is Tolzein sucks and is not Smith but rather someone who will put up 20-32 140 yards and 0TD's 1 INT.  He is just not that good all around.  Morris might at least push the ball down field.  Let Morris play with the 1's and see what he does......Please!

Alex Smith has a lot of wins under his belt. I can only hope Tolzein can play that that well.

20 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Ballard vs Pagano, Pagano seems like hes still stuck in his old ways, who wins out.

9 minutes ago, Archer said:

Well, that's only one man's opinion.  Hopefully it'll be painfully obvious to Pags  in one more game.  I may actually be rooting for Tolz to bomb in order to help    Chuck make the right call!  Strange times...

Hopefully Luck will be back and put all this down to rest.

31 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Ballard vs Pagano, Pagano seems like hes still stuck in his old ways, who wins out.

?  Now who said that there is a problem between Ballard and Pagano?

Old ways? What are you even talking about? We have had 2 pre season games and the team is using 50% new players and the coaching staff is looking at the bubble players.

You have vivid imagination.:D

Not trying to justify Tolzein over Morris but the backup QB requires a lot more than just playing QB if that makes sense. When AL comes back they'll revert to more of a coaching/spotter role. Maybe Morris doesn't have what Tolzein does in this department? Just speculation.

It does seem that with AL's history, we should invest in a backup QB that can play. 

8 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

?  Now who said that there is a problem between Ballard and Pagano? I'm not saying there is.  I'm saying "if" there's a dispute on depth chart and competition for a particular spot, who wins out, the HC or the GM? Personally, I dont want another TRich situation.

Old ways? What are you even talking about? We have had 2 pre season games and the team is using 50% new players and the coaching staff is looking at the bubble players.

I realize that. I'm talking about NOT trying out Morris with the 1s and insisting on going with Tolzein.  Pagano does have a history of playing players that arent up to task over better players, again, see TRich situation among others.

You have vivid imagination.:D Where am I wrong?

RESPONSES IN RED

12 minutes ago, Major_Adobe said:

Not trying to justify Tolzein over Morris but the backup QB requires a lot more than just playing QB if that makes sense. When AL comes back they'll revert to more of a coaching/spotter role. Maybe Morris doesn't have what Tolzein does in this department? Just speculation.

It does seem that with AL's history, we should invest in a backup QB that can play. 

That is why investing in Hasselback was one of the better moves Grigson made.

20 minutes ago, Major_Adobe said:

The goal in the NFL is to win games. Morris gives the Colts the best chance to do that while AL is out 

He's young, still has upside, and has shown flashes of being good 

29 minutes ago, Major_Adobe said:

Quit trying to add a rational thought to the conversation!  What your speculating is something to think about.

One thing I will say, Tolzien better be a heck of a spotter.  MH brought a ton of experience to the table, I don't think Luck is getting that from Tolzien.

44 minutes ago, Major_Adobe said:

3rd stringer can do that just fine as well......   as long as they are on the 53 man

16 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

The goal in the NFL is to win games. Morris gives the Colts the best chance to do that while AL is out 

He's young, still has upside, and has shown flashes of being good 

We actually don't know that for sure.  Yes, he looked great the first two pre-season games, but that was against (in my opinion) many guys who will not be on rosters after the cut.  What we really should see is what Morris can do against the 1's to see his ceiling.  I really believe we have seen Tolz's, and i am not impressed.  He looks good with a solid pocket, but only looks for shorter routes.  When pressured he shows 0 mobility and, in my opinion, shows poor pocket awareness.

Morris has shown the ability to get the ball downfield and the ability to get outside the pocket (more last year than this year, though) when pressured.  Let him show what he can do against the 1's.  He deserves the shot.  Why he doesn't get it is anyone's guess at this point.  More reps for Tolz ain't gonna help him or the receivers.

1 hour ago, DaColts85 said:

As Colin Cowherd once said, "I'll take a quarterback that pushes the ball down the field. I want an Aaron Rodgers or Andrew Luck. What made Peyton Manning great? He pushed the ball down the field; he took chances. Guys like Alex Smith... they're conservative with the football. Sometimes you need to take chances, and I want the quarterback who can do that."  

Tolzien is the check down God, literally all of his completions are to the flats or the running back out of the backfield.

Ballard needs to step in here and demand Chuck to play the better quarterback who earned it through competing. 

Stephen Morris, come on in!

6 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

As Colin Cowherd once said, "I'll take a quarterback that pushes the ball down the field. I want an Aaron Rodgers or Andrew Luck. What made Peyton Manning great? He pushed the ball down the field; he took chances. Guys like Alex Smith... they're conservative with the football. Sometimes you need to take chances, and I want the quarterback who can do that."  

Tolzien is the check down God, literally all of his completions are to the flats or the running back out of the backfield.

Ballard needs to step in here and demand Chuck to play the better quarterback who earned it through competing. 

Stephen Morris, come on in!

as much as i'd like the change, I dont want the GM meddling in the roster, that is a coach's call.

31 minutes ago, DougDew said:

What's going on at RT?  I thought Clark looked good late last year but now he's competing with no names.  Is he showing up late for work or something?

Pagano slated him in presser after Dallas.

No idea what is going on there. Thought he was progressing nicely

6 hours ago, ukcolt12 said:

He holds way too much even when he does not get flagged for it. He also is not strong enough to defend the bullrush. He continually gets pushed back into the QB and defenses will continue to attack him that way. He has the athleticism to deal with speed but struggles with power guys.

I think we need to focus on how to get off the field vs Wade Philips and Gregg Williams without losing a knee or a lacerated kidney (just because it rhymed), I am more concerned about that vs the Rams and Browns, to be honest. I am still optimistic our D will make enough plays to win those games. Did you guys see that Browns' D under Gregg Williams vs the Giants? They almost took OBJ's knees and were mighty chippy with 2 sacks, 1 INT, a forced fumble and enough questionable hits for a pre-season game, IMO.

The funny (or not so funny :scratch:) part would be, it would be so much the Colts' style to go 0-2 and beat a good team like the Cardinals at home. That is just how we roll.

8 hours ago, DougDew said:

What's going on at RT?  I thought Clark looked good late last year but now he's competing with no names.  Is he showing up late for work or something?

7 hours ago, ukcolt12 said:

Not sure where I read it but word is he's been very up and down so far in practices. Also read and I concur from my observation ... he really is lacking in functional strength . He has great feet and quickness but his strength (lack of) is a problem.