Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jimmy Raye has been let go

Everyone

45 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

This team looking like a well oiled machine as you call it is not realistic. There will be too many rookies for that to happen. Just because what looks to be a good draft does not mean it will start out like a good team. It takes time for the rookies and the whole unit to learn to work together. Great teams are not turned on with the snap of a finger or a couple of good draft picks.

There will be times when things will look good but there will also be the times not so much.

But ultimately Pagano will get the blame for all the woes now that Grigson is gone no matter if it's his fault or not.

True on all fronts. I'm not expecting them to come out and look like the 2016 Falcons sans the Super Bowl. But I think there is enough in place for this team to look way better than it did the past 2 seasons. If we still come out looking unprepared, playing from behind, and starting slow then not only will Pagano get the blame, but it'll be rightfully deserved.

But also to your first point, the Falcons actually did have a major turnaround with 1 draft. I read on NFL.com that between their draft and UDFA's they got 5 starters in 2016. Not saying every situation is the same, but enough was done for us to look way better than last year.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

True on all fronts. I'm not expecting them to come out and look like the 2016 Falcons sans the Super Bowl. But I think there is enough in place for this team to look way better than it did the past 2 seasons. If we still come out looking unprepared, playing from behind, and starting slow then not only will Pagano get the blame, but it'll be rightfully deserved.

But also to your first point, the Falcons actually did have a major turnaround with 1 draft. I read on NFL.com that between their draft and UDFA's they got 5 starters in 2016. Not saying every situation is the same, but enough was done for us to look way better than last year.

Having a healthy Luck will not hurt either. Hopefully Ballard's faith in the O-line that Grigson brought in will be improved enough to protect Luck and jump start the running game.

56 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Having a healthy Luck will not hurt either. Hopefully Ballard's faith in the O-line that Grigson brought in will be improved enough to protect Luck and jump start the running game.

The line was improving towards the end of the season. Swchenke might be in play at RG but there's no reason it shouldn't be better. That's why I say there's no excuses this time. There's upgrades everywhere. Wilson >Melvin/Robinson, Hooker>Green, Hankins>Parry. 

12 minutes ago, bradgt04 said:

I know it's the end of the scouting year but it makes me worried they do this right after the draft lol

Why? This is what happens anytime a new GM comes in. After the draft the house is typically cleaned and all new people brought in. Just the way it works. Nothing to be concerned about. 

1 minute ago, Indyfan4life said:

Why? This is what happens anytime a new GM comes in. After the draft the house is typically cleaned and all new people brought in. Just the way it works. Nothing to be concerned about. 

Yeah I am good with it. It's Ballard's team and he wants his guys. After the way our Draft went and Free Agency went I am not doubting Ballard.

13 hours ago, Luck is Good said:

I agree. It wasn't just Grigson that was the problem. Pagano definitely helped in that regard. The writing does look to be on the wall for a new coach in 2018. And if that's truly the case, then I don't understand why Ballard was not given the opportunity to get his own coach for 2017

Two reasons, most likely.

1.  It is not a sure thing Pagano gets the boot for 2018.  As an example, look what happened to coach Jim Caldwell in Detroit when they got a new GM.  Bob Quinn didn't let him go when starting in 2016, and also kept Caldwell for 2017.

2. It is not the right time for coaching changes.  It is for scouting changes, and F.O. changes.  Not coaching, notably the HC. Black Monday for coaches comes much earlier than Black Monday for scouts...

Also, we don't know who Ballard has at the top of his HC list and when / whether they were available. And i think Irsay made Pagano a red jersey coach for 2017.

23 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Yeah, I just hope he don't bringin Touba.

Why not? Toub got 2 interviews for HC jobs this offseason. He's on more than Ballard's radar and is clearly respected around the league. And he's got plenty of experience.

53 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Why not? Toub got 2 interviews for HC jobs this offseason. He's on more than Ballard's radar and is clearly respected around the league. And he's got plenty of experience.

If not mistaken he is and always has been a special teams coach. He may turn out to be awesome BUT I'd. like our next HC to have had previous success at the HC level.

8 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Two reasons, most likely.

1.  It is not a sure thing Pagano gets the boot for 2018.  As an example, look what happened to coach Jim Caldwell in Detroit when they got a new GM.  Bob Quinn didn't let him go when starting in 2016, and also kept Caldwell for 2017.

2. It is not the right time for coaching changes.  It is for scouting changes, and F.O. changes.  Not coaching, notably the HC. Black Monday for coaches comes much earlier than Black Monday for scouts...

Also, we don't know who Ballard has at the top of his HC list and when / whether they were available. And i think Irsay made Pagano a red jersey coach for 2017.

Valid reasons. I do think it was vital to make FO and Scouting changes before anything else. Pagano was/is still a problem but Grigson was the bigger problem. I was thrilled when irsay fired him. There is hope once again that the Colts could be SB contenders soon

9 hours ago, mahagga73 said:

No, he's a lame duck coach even if they slip into the playoffs. Which makes him still being here all the more curious. 

Maybe they couldn't find anyone else to applaud for 60 minutes.

13 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Hmmm.  Wonder if another (coaching) shoe will drop in the next few days?

I wonder if Pagano might've gotten another year mostly because of the lack of suitable replacement candidates. I know that it was widely reported that Irsay reached out to some big fish early in the off-season... It could just be that he didn't want to replace Chuck (an average coach overall, in my view) with another run of the mill guy who might not stick. It might also have been a situation where he needed his new GM to have hyper-focus on player acquisition and didn't want him to be interviewing coaches while trying to focus on FA and the draft. 

I'm not sure if next off-season will be any different or if Ballard has some names in mind for future Colts coaches, but I will trust his judgement as a former coach himself.

I'm not even sure if you were referring to Pagano in your post, but I have been wondering myself if he is a true lame duck or if he can save himself.

I would imagine that, if the new faces and rookies look ready on Sundays and our staff learns to make quicker in-game play-calling  adjustments, then Pagano, Chud, and TM have a fighter's chance to keep the band together. I doubt anybody significant is fired before week 9 either way. 

I believe the main reasoning for not letting Pagano go is centered around a few things:

1. Most of his coaching staff was turned over the year before and it takes time to really see if their systems will work.

2. Luck will be missing a large portion of the off-season and it doesn't make sense to completely overhaul the system in place, especially if he won't be able to fully immerse himself in it before the season.

If the Colts don't make the playoffs again this season, THEN we'll see Ballard bring in his own guy.

There were reports in January that GM's interviewing wanted to be able to let Pagano go if they take the job.  Irsay put a 'coaching Red Jersey' on Chuck for this year, before hiring a GM.  Next year could well be a different story, but Pagano might 'prove himself' under Ballard and the new lineup.  If he does well, and Ballard and Pagano aren't antagonistic toward each other (like it was reported he was with Grigson), then who knows If Chris will still be willing to interview coaches with Toub as his leading candidate next year.  We'll see how it plays out.

http://bit.ly/2oTd7YY

7 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

If not mistaken he is and always has been a special teams coach. He may turn out to be awesome BUT I'd. like our next HC to have had previous success at the HC level.

Mike Tomlin and Jim Harbaugh are both Super Bowl winning HC who had no prior HC experience before their current jobs, the latter was also a STs coach.

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Mike Tomlin and Jim Harbaugh are both Super Bowl winning HC who had no prior HC experience before their current jobs, the latter was also a STs coach.

It's not the norm for a STs coach to jump to a HC gig. As a team that has a franchise qb and wanting multiple SB's with him, I wouldn't want to risk wasting more of Luck's career with a another possibly questional move at HC.

5 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

It's not the norm for a STs coach to jump to a HC gig. As a team that has a franchise qb and wanting multiple SB's with him, I wouldn't want to risk wasting more of Luck's career with a another possibly questional move at HC.

You make it seem like STs coaches don't know their Xs and O's on both sides of the ball. Let's not forget that they'd also have coordinators and positional coaches too. STs coaches are some of the most versatile thinkers because they have a constantly changing group of personnel who they have to make sure are on the same page all the time. No one understands matchups better than them. Toub is a highly regarded coach for a reason. He's also been a D-Line coach in his career and is a former offensive lineman.

Just now, Defjamz26 said:

You make it seem like STs coaches don't know their Xs and O's on both sides of the ball. Let's not forget that they'd also have coordinators and positional coaches too. STs coaches are some of the most versatile thinkers because they have a constantly changing group of personnel who they have to make sure are on the same page all the time. No one understands matchups better than them. Toub is a highly regarded coach for a reason. He's also been a D-Line coach in his career and is a former offensive lineman.

Just generally speaking, of all the coaching positions(HC,DC,OC,ST, etc..) isn't ST lowest on the totem pole. Not saying it's not important OR that talented individuals can't work their way up but it'snot the norm for a ST coach to go directly to a HC job.

Nothing against Toub or any other ST coach but I'd prefer a Harbaugh, Saban, Meyer, even a Payton or a Gruden type over a current ST coach.

If you know about him and like and want him that's fine with me.

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Just generally speaking, of all the coaching positions(HC,DC,OC,ST, etc..) isn't ST lowest on the totem pole. Not saying it's not important OR that talented individuals can't work their way up but it'snot the norm for a ST coach to go directly to a HC job.

Nothing against Toub or any other ST coach but I'd prefer a Harbaugh, Saban, Meyer, even a Payton or a Gruden type over a current ST coach.

If you know about him and like and want him that's fine with me.

But how many Offensive and defensive coordinators turned HC flame out? There isn't some type of tactical advantage to hiring those types of coordinators. Harbaugh as I mentioned is an example. Belicheick is another guy. STs coach to Browns HC. Then Patriots and HC. I think Marv Levy was also a STs coach before he became a HC. I just don't like the stigma that hiring a STs coach is a risk because STs isn't important. The STs unit is comprised of offensive and defensive players and they teach tackling and other fundamentals. Toub in particular has been getting buzz as a potential HC candidate since 2013.

11 hours ago, Restored said:

I believe the main reasoning for not letting Pagano go is centered around a few things:

1. Most of his coaching staff was turned over the year before and it takes time to really see if their systems will work.

2. Luck will be missing a large portion of the off-season and it doesn't make sense to completely overhaul the system in place, especially if he won't be able to fully immerse himself in it before the season.

If the Colts don't make the playoffs again this season, THEN we'll see Ballard bring in his own guy.

I don't think it's guaranteed that Chuck comes back even if the colts do make the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I don't think it's guaranteed that Chuck comes back even if the colts do make the playoffs.

I don't either. Ballard has shown no problem to clean house. I bet Chuck is shaking in his boots. I think it will take a deep Playoff run to keep him, at least 1 Playoff win anyway.

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't either. Ballard has shown no problem to clean house. I bet Chuck is shaking in his boots. I think it will take a deep Playoff run to keep him, at least 1 Playoff win anyway.

I think it's going to be how the team plays throughout the season.  Cut down on the sloppy play, slow starts, penalties, etc.  And Chuck has to show more command on game day.

One thing Chuck better do is sit down with Chud and take a que from the Panthers.http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/01/mike-shula-wants-to-give-cam-newton-more-tom-brady-style-passes/

8 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

But how many Offensive and defensive coordinators turned HC flame out? There isn't some type of tactical advantage to hiring those types of coordinators. Harbaugh as I mentioned is an example. Belicheick is another guy. STs coach to Browns HC. Then Patriots and HC. I think Marv Levy was also a STs coach before he became a HC. I just don't like the stigma that hiring a STs coach is a risk because STs isn't important. The STs unit is comprised of offensive and defensive players and they teach tackling and other fundamentals. Toub in particular has been getting buzz as a potential HC candidate since 2013.

You sound like Toub's #1 FAN! Maybe even more so than ballard.

So tell me why your so high on him? Have you always liked him OR just started  after the rumored speculation that ballard may hire him?

I still prefer our next leader be a experienced proven HC.

5 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

You sound like Toub's #1 FAN! Maybe even more so than ballard.

So tell me why your so high on him? Have you always liked him OR just started  after the rumored speculation that ballard may hire him?

I still prefer our next leader be a experienced proven HC.

He's giving you facts and you are ignoring them I don't particularly want a ST's HC but this fantasy that the next coach has to have HC experience is stupid there are tons of coordinators that have been great hires who gives a damn if they have already been HC 

5 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

He's giving you facts and you are ignoring them I don't particularly want a ST's HC but this fantasy that the next coach has to have HC experience is stupid there are tons of coordinators that have been great hires who gives a damn if they have already been HC 

Of course the next hc doesn't have to have hc experience. But I think it would be prefered. If not I sure hope his first gig as a hc isn't a jump DIRECTLY FROM ST's. But that's just me.

On 5/1/2017 at 0:54 PM, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I know Zach Banner wasn't the best player available, and I know we passed on Tim Williams twice. I'm not one to complain about either because overall I loved this draft, but everyone assumed Ballard was going to go strictly BPA no matter what, and I saw him addressing needs while still obtaining a high level of talent.

Technically we only passed on Tim Williams once.

13 hours ago, BOTT said:

That's entirely a possibility as well. However, I think right the only way for sure Chuck doesn't come back is if the Colts don't make the playoffs again.