Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dalvin Cook

With where the Colts could be picking in my opinion (10-15), I could see Dalvin Cook being available for them, and if so in my opinion would be the best talent on the board. With that said, would you support drafting him in the 1st knowing the other needs this team has? RB is one of those needs with Gore getting old, and a talent like Cook doesn't come along often for the Colts. And he would fit perfectly in their offense since he excels as a receiver as well.

I would be fine with taking him around that range of the 1st. Would prefer doing a trade down first, but I just think he is more talented than other players that will be available around the 10-15 range of the 1st round.

Thoughts?

22 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

With where the Colts could be picking in my opinion (10-15), I could see Dalvin Cook being available for them, and if so in my opinion would be the best talent on the board. With that said, would you support drafting him in the 1st knowing the other needs this team has? RB is one of those needs with Gore getting old, and a talent like Cook doesn't come along often for the Colts. And he would fit perfectly in their offense since he excels as a receiver as well.

I would be fine with taking him around that range of the 1st. Would prefer doing a trade down first, but I just think he is more talented than other players that will be available around the 10-15 range of the 1st round.

Thoughts?

I think the Colts will be picking in the 20's if you get my drift. That is my thought.

32 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Thoughts?

If he is there we need to pull the trigger and draft him cause Gore is slowing down I can see it he isn't near as quick through the hole as he used to be he is on the verge of being done. So I would bring in cook and either demote or release gore after that pick we need to go mostly defense and build it into the powerhouse we need it to be currently we give up around 28 points a game to be  threat on defense we need to cut that in half from 28 to around 14-16 points a game range without that we won't be a threat any time soon. Free Agency we need to try and upgrade the O-line a little bit and maybe ILB as well.

I love Cook,  but no, it would not be my pick if I was making the call.     (I'm sure most here are glad that I'm not!)

If we're always going to find an offensive player we love,  we will never,  ever build a playoff caliber defense.

And I think there's a decent chance (at least 50/50) that Cook will be available when the Colts are on the clock....

I would. Cook is the type of RB the Colts need. He's a franchise player that could easily play like 10 years. He reminds me of LT or Marshall Faulk with his versatility and exceptional ability in the passing game.

I'd take him in a heartbeat. Myles Garrett and Peppers are the only blue chip defensive players that I wouldn't take over him if they were there at our pick.

4 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

If he is there we need to pull the trigger and draft him cause Gore is slowing down I can see it he isn't near as quick through the hole as he used to be he is on the verge of being done. So I would bring in cook and either demote or release gore after that pick we need to go mostly defense and build it into the powerhouse we need it to be currently we give up around 28 points a game to be  threat on defense we need to cut that in half from 28 to around 14-16 points a game range without that we won't be a threat any time soon. Free Agency we need to try and upgrade the O-line a little bit and maybe ILB as well.

The reason Gore is slower through the holes is simple.....

THERE ARE NO HOLES!!

When there are holes Gore runs through them.    When there are no holes,  Gore struggles as most backs do.

I wouldn't be on board for a 1st round running back with all of our needs. I am hoping against hope that we can get Foster at ILB... I do think that Cook is a can't miss prospect at RB, though and I wouldn't be flaming Grigson on the forum if we do draft him, I just doubt that he would represent the best value with our pick, unless, of course, that pick turns out to be lower than many of us expect.

I get that our biggest need is at Edge, but I'm not enamored with the guys getting the first round hype (outside of Garrett). From what I've read, it seems to be a deep class, though, so I'm not on the "1st round pass rusher or bust" train. Again, it depends on where we pick in the 1st. 

Ideally, we get an edge rusher, ILB, CB, and RB in the first 4 rounds and they all pan out. This draft is supposed to be especially deep at our biggest positions of need. As long as we draft contributors, I don't care what rounds they come from. 

I'm curious about what outside FAs that you guys think we might sign. I'm sure that it will have some bearing on our draft plans. I haven't gotten a good look at who might be switching teams at the positions that we need to bolster... 

3 hours ago, Superman said:

I'd pass, thanks. This would violate my own personal draft principles.

What if he's BPA? Would you draft him in the second? How good should a RB be to warrant a mid-first round pick?

BTW I'm not disagreeing with you, to a large extent I agree and I personally wouldn't draft him in the first, just wanted to explore those questions and hear your perspective. Cheers.

Dalvin Cook is an amazing player no doubt, but how much better is he than guys like Chubb and Gallman? I don't think he's far and away a better player than those guys. I'd prefer the Colts wait to pick a RB seeing as how there will be a lot of good ones outside of the first round. 

7 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

Dalvin Cook is an amazing player no doubt, but how much better is he than guys like Chubb and Gallman? I don't think he's far and away a better player than those guys. I'd prefer the Colts wait to pick a RB seeing as how there will be a lot of good ones outside of the first round. 

He's on another level than those guys. Cook has size, speed, and power comparable to a Todd Gurley or a Marshall Faulk as I said earlier. Plus his catching is A1.

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The reason Gore is slower through the holes is simple.....

THERE ARE NO HOLES!!

When there are holes Gore runs through them.    When there are no holes,  Gore struggles as most backs do.

My point is he isn't the player he once was not as fast as he used to be and he is 33 years old time to go younger and build this football team the right way this time so then it can and will be a threat for championships. Maybe keep gore around for the final year of his deal to help Cook or whichever RB we pick then let him go.

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

He's on another level than those guys. Cook has size, speed, and power comparable to a Todd Gurley or a Marshall Faulk as I said earlier. Plus his catching is A1.

I don't pay attention to college much, but wasn't Chubb seriously considered Fournette - Gurley level before his injury? Assuming he fully recovers in the next few years, wouldn't he be a better value if we can get him in the 2nd and a good DEF player in the 1st?

Both this draft class and next years group are full of great RBs. Next year's draft doesn't have as many exciting Edge rushers. So no. Take a RB in the 3-4 and then if he doesn't turn out a steal draft one next year. We should go pass rush in the first and if not ILB.

3 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

My point is he isn't the player he once was not as fast as he used to be and he is 33 years old time to go younger and build this football team the right way this time so then it can and will be a threat for championships. Maybe keep gore around for the final year of his deal to help Cook or whichever RB we pick then let him go.

James.....     thanks,  appreciate the response.... 

Good post.    Fair points.

And to be clear,  I badly want a quality running back to replace Gore.    The question becomes which round do we take that back?       Honestly,   I have no idea.

But, I've been banging the drum for defense since 2014,  so I'm pretty much fixated on making our defense really good.

All that said,   I'm insanely curious to which RB's we really like and want?     Boy, I'd love to be the fly on the wall in the Colts' personnel meetings!

Thanks again....

5 hours ago, nburgmei said:

I don't pay attention to college much, but wasn't Chubb seriously considered Fournette - Gurley level before his injury? Assuming he fully recovers in the next few years, wouldn't he be a better value if we can get him in the 2nd and a good DEF player in the 1st?

I don't think he was as hyped up as Fournette or Gurley but he was putting up numbers just as good or better. Chubb played well this season but wasn't 100% back to normal. IMO grabbing Chubb in the 3rd is a much better value than drafting Cook who is marginally better in the 1st. 

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

James.....     thanks,  appreciate the response.... 

Good post.    Fair points.

And to be clear,  I badly want a quality running back to replace Gore.    The question becomes which round do we take that back?       Honestly,   I have no idea.

But, I've been banging the drum for defense since 2014,  so I'm pretty much fixated on making our defense really good.

All that said,   I'm insanely curious to which RB's we really like and want?     Boy, I'd love to be the fly on the wall in the Colts' personnel meetings!

Thanks again....

If cook is there in the first if no Pass rusher then I think that is our next biggest need we need a quality backup  too Also another good CB and maybe an O-line player if we don't fill that in FA.

If he is available and nobody with more talent is available then take him. Even if a pass rusher of corner are there but don't have more talent than him then take him. If there is someone with more talent at a position of need then take that player. No need to pigeonhole a position to a round. Grab the best available talent unless its a qb. That would be a waste.

18 hours ago, stitches said:

What if he's BPA? Would you draft him in the second? How good should a RB be to warrant a mid-first round pick?

BTW I'm not disagreeing with you, to a large extent I agree and I personally wouldn't draft him in the first, just wanted to explore those questions and hear your perspective. Cheers.

I hadn't seen your edits for some reason...

I have no problem adopting a rigid, no exception policy of no RBs in the first round, period. I wouldn't draft any RB in the first round, not even at the end of the first round. It's all about positional value (individual RBs aren't highly valuable) and projected career longevity (would a first round RB make it through his fifth year option? Would he even be worth his fifth year option?) I might miss out on a couple of years of Ezekiel Elliott, but more often than not, it's only going to be a couple of years of great RB production. Zeke is he man right now, but 5+ years from now, I think Ryan Kelly will be more valuable.

If I think a guy is a top 20 player and he's still there in the late 40s, I'd have no problem taking him at that point. Might wind up with a guy like Le'Veon Bell.

I said trade back, which I'm always open to, but mostly likely in the late teens to early 20s where the Colts will wind up picking, there will be a nice cluster of players to choose from. If Cook was clearly BPA, maybe someone will want to come up. If not, I have no problem passing on him due to my philosophy regarding individual RB value, and taking someone else in the cluster. I'd be much more inclined to trade up for a special prospect at a position of need.

Man. I absolutely love Dalvin Cook. He's so dang good, and a complete running back IMO with his top notch receiving ability. Put him on the Colts offense and I think the Colts would boast one of the most feared offenses in the league.

Having said that. Nah. Don't take him. We all know about the holes on defense and the deteriorated value of the running back position in the first round. But even besides that, as nice as it would be, I just don't think the Colts need Dalvin Cook. The offense is already pretty good, and with a good o line, will only get better (they already have one of the best deep passing attacks in the league). A semblance of a running game certainly would help them be more dominant, but again, with an improved O line, they can achieve that. And besides, with Andrew Luck, you don't need a game changing running back (in 2014, Lucks best season statistically, he had Trent Richardson as his back for half the year).

tl;dr Cook would be amazing on this offense. But in terms of helping this team be dominant in the long run, they need to invest those early picks on the defense. Like really badly.

Plus I like Royce Freeman as a day two running back (though his value has slowly increased over time).

5 minutes ago, Doctor Mad said:

How about trading with the Jets for Richardson?  We can offer our #2 pick and Dwayne Allen for Richardson and the Jets #4 pick?  Any thoughts?

What's your sales pitch to the Jets? Why would they do that trade? They still have tag rights on Richardson for 2017.

20 hours ago, SP_21 said:

I don't think he was as hyped up as Fournette or Gurley but he was putting up numbers just as good or better. Chubb played well this season but wasn't 100% back to normal. IMO grabbing Chubb in the 3rd is a much better value than drafting Cook who is marginally better in the 1st. 

Man if chubb last until the third.... I personally prefer him too cook but that's just me. I'd be ecstatic if he lasted until the second to us

20 minutes ago, twfish said:

Man if chubb last until the third.... I personally prefer him too cook but that's just me. I'd be ecstatic if he lasted until the second to us

I like Chubb a lot too. I think another year removed from the injury will allow him to pick up some of the explosiveness he lost this year as well.

His stats don't look impressive, but watching that Georgia offensive line try and run block this year was comical at times. I'd be interested in seeing some more advanced metrics showing Chubb's YPC after contact, % contact behind the line, etc. It seemed like he was constantly starting in the negative with no where to go. The fact that he was still productive bodes well for him if he regains some speed and ends up behind a competent NFL line.

Another thing I like about Chubb is that he is a true workhorse. The guy, like Gore in his prime, doesn't get tired. If you take out the 2 games he left early due to injury issues, he averaged 20 carries per game and improved his YPC  by a full yard in the 2nd half of those games vs the 1st half. 

55 minutes ago, twfish said:

I think he'll last until the 3rd. Whether he lasts till our pick in the 3rd depends on a lot though. Everyone on this forum seems to overvalue RBs every year. Each draft there are RBs we all thought would go in the 2nd still there in the later rounds. So I'm cautiously optimistic we can grab Chubb round 3. 

And if not, Gallman or one of the other guys will suffice. 

9 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

I think he'll last until the 3rd. Whether he lasts till our pick in the 3rd depends on a lot though. Everyone on this forum seems to overvalue RBs every year. Each draft there are RBs we all thought would go in the 2nd still there in the later rounds. So I'm cautiously optimistic we can grab Chubb round 3. 

And if not, Gallman or one of the other guys will suffice. 

I would at least pick Defense with my first 3 picks, then consider a RB. Our Defense is the reason why we aren't 8-3 by giving up 39 points to Detroit, 30 against the Jags, and that meltdown in Houston. If we had just an Average Defense we would be 8-3 instead of 5-6.

49 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would at least pick Defense with my first 3 picks, then consider a RB. Our Defense is the reason why we aren't 8-3 by giving up 39 points to Detroit, 30 against the Jags, and that meltdown in Houston. If we had just an Average Defense we would be 8-3 instead of 5-6.

I would start looking at RBs in the third. Every other pick would be defense. 

Reuben Foster 1st

One of GareonConley/Jourdan Lewis/Jared Davis 2nd

Chubb 3rd

Chidobe Awuzie and Ejuan Price 4th

I absolutely love this kid. If I'm honest I think he's the only offensive player I'd take in the first round this year. I would say Fournette but his injury history worries me a little.

We desperately need a pass rusher or the best defensive player available in the 1st this year. There will be running backs available in the 2nd or even the 3rd that will be as good as a 900 year old Gore.

Some team in the mid teens is going to be getting a very special talent at RB this year for sure.