Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts "Tough" Defensive Picks

ColtRider

I would think by now most people who visit our forums know how I stand on defense. I have been screaming at the top of my lungs to, "Stop the Run!", for quite some time now. With that being said, did I like the 29th overall pick by the Colts in the 2015 NFL Draft? To be honest and candid, no I did not.

However, after evaluating all the information I could gather after the draft and putting it into an overall package I came to a conclusion of finality that hit me like a ton of bricks. It "willed" me over so to speak about the Colts strategy. TOUGHNESS and the ability to TACKLE from each and every pick on defense.

Here is just some of the digestive aspects I found from people who I respect concerning draft picks:

1. DE/ Henry Anderson / Stanford : " He's long with deceiving strength. I think he's an NFL starter all day long. He plays hard all day long and is a better athlete than you think. This is a real good pick here."

Mike Mayock, NFL Network. ( btw : Scouts love his intelligence and team-first attitude. )

2. DT/ David Parry / Stanford : "The Colts stick with Stanford to finish defensive line depth in David Parry. Chemistry along the defensive line shouldn't be understated and the Colts third round pick, Henry Anderson, has extensive setting up rush maneuvers with Parry in college."

Mark Dulgerian, NFL.com. "A really nice pick for the Colts." Todd McShay, ESPN Analyst.

3. SS/ Clayton Geathers / Central Florida : " The Geathers kid is a big, strong safety in the box. I think he'll knock your [chops] off. Toughness."

Mike Mayock, NFL Network. "Geathers is a developmental box safety whose staple is his physicality in the short passing and run game. He adds depth in a division that is run-oriented." Mark Dulgerian, NFL.com

4. CB/ D'Joun Smith / Florida Atlantic/ : "Smith is a quick-footed corner. He's not as long as you might like, but he's competitive. This kid will tackle."

Mike Mayock, NFL Network

5. ILB/ Amarlo Herrera / Georgia/ : "Fiery competitor with extended motor and finishes most tackles."

Mark Dulgerian/ Lance Zierlein, NFL.com.

Now, has anyone noticed the commonalities with these guys?

These guys are TOUGH, can TACKLE, FINISH, and are RUN-STOPPERS! They are all intelligent, focused, and can flat-out BALL! Period.

Now, did I like the picks from the Colts on defense? You betcha. These guys will be more valuable picks from a standpoint of versatility, speed play substitutions, and targeting schemes than most ColtFans think.

Indianapolis Colts Grade from this Fan : B+ Defense / A- Offense

It's good because tackling was a huge problem on this team. Landry is one of the worst tacklers to ever lace up a pair of cleats, so him being gone should help.

Redding wasn't always the greatest tackler. Werner definitely needs improvement there. Adding solid tacklers should help us out alot more than most might think.

I think Anderson and Parry are Disciplined D lineman who play with sound technique and hand play.  I think we were lacking some of that with Redding and Jean Francois.  Parry seems much more adept at shedding and getting to the ball carrier a little quicker than Chapman.  If Chapman lost a little weight I wonder would that help him with his mobility?

We have a good mix of everything when you look at it.  I'm getting more excited because I know some good veterans usually get cut directly after the draft and some trades will be available as well.  I'm waiting to see if Grigs makes any moves to strengthen the team even further on defense.  I just have such a strong feeling about this year!

I absolutely love our defensive picks. I think Anderson, Smith, and Geathers will eventually all be really good starters ( In their 2nd seasons) and I believe Hererra and Parry will be good backups for a long time. I'm really big on Anderson and Smith. They can both be big time. It actually wouldn't surprise me if a couple of Anderson, Smith and Geathers were starting by the end of the season.

Here's my question about Anderson...I've read that he was ranked in the top 5 in both pass rush and run stopping.  I haven't read anything about any weaknesses he may have.  So my question is why was he still available in the 3rd round?  I am by no means being argumentative that he was a bad pick or player...simply genuinely curious.

Here's my question about Anderson...I've read that he was ranked in the top 5 in both pass rush and run stopping.  I haven't read anything about any weaknesses he may have.  So my question is why was he still available in the 3rd round?  I am by no means being argumentative that he was a bad pick or player...simply genuinely curious.

From what I've gathered, Jason S, his knocks are slender legs and hand movement. All which can be easily (IMO) corrected at the NFL level by the Colts.

tacking is a lost art. today's athletes want to make the highlight reels for biggest "hit". However, for every big "hit" there are 7-9 missed tackles. Head up, wrap up and take down. This group seems to have learned that. Go Colts!

Here's my question about Anderson...I've read that he was ranked in the top 5 in both pass rush and run stopping. I haven't read anything about any weaknesses he may have. So my question is why was he still available in the 3rd round? I am by no means being argumentative that he was a bad pick or player...simply genuinely curious.

Anderson was described as "a filthy steal" in the 3rd round, so I'm not sure why teams passed on him.

From what I've gathered, Jason S, his knocks are slender legs and hand movement. All which can be easily (IMO) corrected at the NFL level by the Colts.

His hand usage looks pretty great to me from all of the film I watched on draftbreakdown.com.

Here's my question about Anderson...I've read that he was ranked in the top 5 in both pass rush and run stopping. I haven't read anything about any weaknesses he may have. So my question is why was he still available in the 3rd round? I am by no means being argumentative that he was a bad pick or player...simply genuinely curious.

I wonder the same thing. He looks great on film to me and jumps off the screen more than most of the interior defensive lineman who went earlier than him.

Maybe it's a scheme fit thing and/or his mediocre combine.

I think he's better than Armstead, who went #17.

But he's a little skinny on the bottom, and can be pushed in the run game, especially against double teams. He also goes to the ground too much, partly because of Stanford's coaching. Other than that, I think he was a top 50 player.

Well stated Coltsense.  

We are also rated highly with our UFA signees.  You know I wanted big at 29, but I really believe Anderson and Parry have great motors, Herrera is simply a nasty LB, and I like to see chops knocked of by Mr Geathers.

I like a running back too who was nicknamed..."The Bowling Ball....."  :)

First off, I want to thank ColtSense for the post. It was well reasoned, and I agree with every bit of it. The only pick I did not like was the Dorsett pick, but I along with most agree it will make our offense so much better, Johnson has a habit of missing a few games each year, we don't know about Carter, and Montcrief still has to develop. I think it may have been a luxury, but down the line in 1-2 years when Gore and AJ are gone, it will look very smart. We need a return man, and we need a slot player. We got both in one, and he will extend the field, so not thinking about need, I love the pick.

As far as the defense, I loved the draft. Anderson was rated so much higher, I don't know how he dropped. McShay and I believe Polian made a comment about Parry which I thought was important. Parry may be a little undersized, but he has incredible strength in the upper body, where you most need it for a NT. Plus the relationship with Anderson will help. Smith I love the attitude, and 9 interceptions his sophmore year, and the only reason he had only 7 I believe this year, as Kiper said, no one through at him. I know a lot of people on the board liked and mentioned Geathers. He has a high ceiling, Pagano is a great DB back coach, plus like Smith, he was first team all conference. Smith was only second team all conference, but only because of lack of balls thrown his way. Each of these picks says the tape on them was excellent.and they fit our system.

The last point I want to make is something Polian said on Wednesday before the draft. I think if we had drafted Brown, everybody would have loved our draft. Been exuberant. One pick changed everybody's mind, which is a bit silly. Regardless, Polian was asked about Brown, and if he fit our scheme. He said no, the best scheme for him is a 4-3 scheme, so we must have felt he was not a fit also. As fans, we don't think about that enough. I did not like Polian all the time he was here, but his knowledge is hard to find fault with, which is why he is going into the Hall of Fame this year. I will leave with my favorite Polian quote: If you start to listen to the fans about how to manage a team, draft, you are soon going to end up with them in the seats.

tacking is a lost art. today's athletes want to make the highlight reels for biggest "hit". However, for every big "hit" there are 7-9 missed tackles. Head up, wrap up and take down. This group seems to have learned that. Go Colts!

That's my concern about Gaethers. I see a lot of hitting instead of tackling from him in his highlight tape. On the plus side it's not possible for him to be worse on that front than Landry.

His hand usage looks pretty great to me from all of the film I watched on draftbreakdown.com.

Hey, I agree. This was one of the knocks listed on his draft profile by many. However, judging from the film I've seen on this kid he does great with hand movement when the run stalls. Gets them in there with speed and agility. I think what some of his nay-sayers were trying to point out is that he needs to work on his outreach ability (arms) a little more. Nitpicking if you ask me. I love this guy.

I think all of the draft picks are what I would call...real football players. Toughness, and tenacity is another way to describe it.

I don't know why Herrera fell. He started a bunch of games for Georgia and was quite productive. I think the knock on him is measurables...a slow forty time and short arms, but his tape looks good, IMO.

And although the OP is talking about defense, the UDFA C from Northwestern Vitable, started 50 consecutive games in his college career. A player has to be durable and tough to do that. And for a small guy, it looks like Dorsett can take a hit.

Hes not an outstanding athlete, not the fastest guy, the tallest guy or the strongest guy at the combine...but you put him on a football field and all he does is produce. Sometimes scouts and coaches get enamored by freak athletes and pass on a guy cause he didnt run his 40 time 0.2 seconds faster then the next guy.

Jadeveon Clowney was drafted first overall, despite only getting 3 sacks his final college season, because he was considered a once in a generation ATHLETE.

Edit: Another example, Phillip Dorsett's most mentioned stat is his 4.25 40 time at his pro day. Josh Robinson, deemed too slow and not athletic enough to play in the NFL, ran a 4.7 in his 40. Thats a 0.45 second difference. Do you know how long 0.45 seconds are?

About the time it takes you to finish reading this sentence.

By the way, Henry Anderson finished second among draft-eligible 3-4 defensive ends in both PFF Run Stop Percentage and Pass Rushing Productivity metrics.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/04/11/cff-overview-di-top-of-the-crop/

So why spent 1st round pick on Goldman or Brown, when you can get this guy with the 3rd round pick? If Grigson wanted to make our DL better at stopping the run... he did it.

FWIW Daniel Jeremiah said he's got some of the best hands he's even seen on a Dlineman. Now of course scouting is all opinion but I rate Jeremiah's opinion over a lot of others. 

Hes not an outstanding athlete, not the fastest guy, the tallest guy or the strongest guy at the combine...but you put him on a football field and all he does is produce. Sometimes scouts and coaches get enamored by freak athletes and pass on a guy cause he didnt run his 40 time 0.2 seconds faster then the next guy.

Jadeveon Clowney was drafted first overall, despite only getting 3 sacks his final college season, because he was considered a once in a generation ATHLETE.

Edit: Another example, Phillip Dorsett's most mentioned stat is his 4.25 40 time at his pro day. Josh Robinson, deemed too slow and not athletic enough to play in the NFL, ran a 4.7 in his 40. Thats a 0.45 second difference. Do you know how long 0.45 seconds are?

Anderson dominated the combine aside from explosion drills.

Clowney also had 8 sacks as a true freshman and was easily the best defensive, if not player in general, in the nation as a sophomore. His final season he was dinged up all year plus probably protecting himself for his eventual NFL career. But, he was not drafted #1 overall solely because he was a freak athlete. He was drafted #1 overall because he was a freak player, who happened to be a freak athlete as well.

Clowney also had 8 sacks as a true freshman and was easily the best defensive, if not player in general, in the nation as a sophomore. His final season he was dinged up all year plus probably protecting himself for his eventual NFL career. But, he was not drafted #1 overall solely because he was a freak athlete. He was drafted #1 overall because he was a freak player, who happened to be a freak athlete as well.

His last season at SC, Our very own Kelsey Quarles out played him.  Nagging injuries as well as double teams might have had something to do with that...I look forward to seeing Quarles in camp.

His last season at SC, Our very own Kelsey Quarles out played him. Nagging injuries as well as double teams might have had something to do with that...I look forward to seeing Quarles in camp.

If the Texans want to trade us Clowney for Quarles, I'm all for it.

Most of it was physical (Skinny legs), and technique (Hand placement, footwork). All coachable. Nothing major.

Well stated Coltsense.  

We are also rated highly with our UFA signees.  You know I wanted big at 29, but I really believe Anderson and Parry have great motors, Herrera is simply a nasty LB, and I like to see chops knocked of by Mr Geathers.

I like a running back too who was nicknamed..."The Bowling Ball....."   :)

He's a rolling ball of.....um....er....bowling ball!

i love Anderson but he does have quite a few weaknesses. He is not very strong especially in the lower body and he's not a very good athlete. I have watched a few games where he has looked awesome and few where I thought he would never be an impact DE in the NFL.

I think Anderson will be a very productive player for the Colts and I'm excited to see him in Indy. I just hope fans give him time too grow it may take him a couple years to get there. But you have to love his intelligence and work ethic for the game.