Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who Would Have Thought?

IndyD4U

It's hard to bench AQ when he's playing this well, but I suspect that when Holmes is 100%, he'll be back in the lineup.  AQ is more of a rental while Holmes is the long term guy.  Nevertheless, I'd rather have a discussion about how well our center is blocking and if we should start a potentially better center than the discussions we were having last year about our center.

I'm tangled between this question. I personally am not a coach and I don't see what goes on during practices. For all we know Holmes could be dominating these practices, who knows. Whoever they decide to put in there I'll be happy with.. If they go with Holmes, he must be doing something right if he's out playing Shipley who has been fantastic thus far.

I'm tangled between this question. I personally am not a coach and I don't see what goes on during practices. For all we know Holmes could be dominating these practices, who knows. Whoever they decide to put in there I'll be happy with.. If they go with Holmes, he must be doing something right if he's out playing Shipley who has been fantastic thus far.

What good is dominating if you can't stay healthy?

Sean Lee is a pretty good LB, but he can't ever get on the field

That we would be in this predicament regarding our O-line.

I say stick with A.Q.!   If it's not broke, don't fix it. Plus, he's earned it!

http://www.indystar.com/story/colts-insider/2014/09/23/colts-to-choose-between-aq-shipley-and-khaled-holmes-at-center/16083829/

LOL I just said this before the Jags game!  I watched him closely on Sunday and he was even getting downfield making blocks.  He's not making too many mistakes either.  I think Holmes will be better in a few years, but why make changes now?  Especially when Holmes hasn't really proven anything. 

That we would be in this predicament regarding our O-line.

I say stick with A.Q.!   If it's not broke, don't fix it. Plus, he's earned it!

http://www.indystar.com/story/colts-insider/2014/09/23/colts-to-choose-between-aq-shipley-and-khaled-holmes-at-center/16083829/

Shipley has played decent, but isn`t knocking ANYONE off the line. Ya Homers you are AWESOME loving how well we are running it up the gut. lmao!

Hate On as you have NO CLUE what Holmes offers and don`t care AS Shipley is = to your beloved De La Puente who waited long to find a job.

Good grief!

So what's the problem?  What's wrong with having two centers?  If both can do the job then rotate them to keep them fresh.  Most complain about players not doing their job. Now some want to complain about having two that do a good job? Geez   :dunno:

I don't think offensive line -- especially at center -- is where you want to rotate.

Continuity is King on the OL.    Holmes will get some snaps when Shipley invariably gets dinged or during a blow-out,  one way or the other.......

Or....   Holmes will demonstrate in practice that he's better than QB and he'll become a starter.

These things have a way of working things out over time.....

Shipley has played decent, but isn`t knocking ANYONE off the line. Ya Homers you are AWESOME loving how well we are running it up the gut. lmao!

Hate On as you have NO CLUE what Holmes offers and don`t care AS Shipley is = to your beloved De La Puente who waited long to find a job.

Good grief!

What are you talking about?

Good grief!

Only you & the Coachs know what Holmes offers ?  :thmup:    Clueless  much ?

For several years Colts fans have waited to see the O - line do better & yes A.Q Shipley has played decent In your opinion - better than that in mine , The bottom line is he  has earned his spot at this time there has been many injuries having Holmes back healthy and ready to go is awesome to this HOMER   & IMO its nice of you to take time out of your busy day to clue us clueless Homers in ..  

:humble: :humble:

Good grief!

Cool story, Bro! What in the h&*# are you talking about?

Good grief

I'm all for keeping Holmes on the sideline for quite a while to rest that high ankle sprain.  Shipley's solid play is making it non-painful to do so.  However, in the second half of the season (our schedule will be quite weak after the Patriot game or so),  I expect there to be a competition.  We won't see any of it, since it will basically be the coaching staff deciding which center they will be better off with.  It'll be whoever practices best.  Either way, we seem to be in good hands for the rest of the year... 

LOL I just said this before the Jags game!  I watched him closely on Sunday and he was even getting downfield making blocks.  He's not making too many mistakes either.  I think Holmes will be better in a few years, but why make changes now?  Especially when Holmes hasn't really proven anything. 

The only reason why I see making a change now is that we want Holmes to be the starter for the future.  He has had injury troubles, but IMO, his ceiling is much higher than AQ's.  AQ has played quite well, much better than Satele or whoever else we had at C last year and I can see justification in either way the coaches decide.

The reason to put Holmes on the field now (or as soon as he's healthy enough to do so) is to give him confidence, to let him get experience before the playoffs, and to see if he really has what it takes to be our C for the future.  If he goes in and gets hurt again, or really struggles, then we know we can go back to AQ and then we know we have to search for a new C in the off-season (though we may have another long-term C prospect in Harrison).  Not that I dislike AQ, but I think we'd be better off having him as a back-up in the future, so it'd be nice to see Holmes get a shot to see if he is the real deal and if he can handle starting duties moving forward.

The downside to putting Holmes in now is that he may struggle or some of the cohesiveness that the OL has developed thru 3 games may come undone for a brief time until Holmes figures out how to gel with Thornton and Mewhort and Luck.

I will stand behind whatever choice the coaches make, as I'm sure they know better.  However, if we are going to make the change, I'd rather see it happen this week vs. the Titans than in the next 2 weeks vs. the Ravens or Texans who have much better defenses (and I think overall teams).  I think we'd have a better chance of masking minor mistakes and figuring them out vs. the Titans than we would vs. the Ravens or JJ Watt.

Good grief!

BBZ.....you must have studied this...cause ya ain't makin' a bit of sense....

26788129-egyptian-hieroglyphics-grunge-b

Good grief!

What mean? 

The only reason why I see making a change now is that we want Holmes to be the starter for the future.  He has had injury troubles, but IMO, his ceiling is much higher than AQ's.  AQ has played quite well, much better than Satele or whoever else we had at C last year and I can see justification in either way the coaches decide.

The reason to put Holmes on the field now (or as soon as he's healthy enough to do so) is to give him confidence, to let him get experience before the playoffs, and to see if he really has what it takes to be our C for the future.  If he goes in and gets hurt again, or really struggles, then we know we can go back to AQ and then we know we have to search for a new C in the off-season (though we may have another long-term C prospect in Harrison).  Not that I dislike AQ, but I think we'd be better off having him as a back-up in the future, so it'd be nice to see Holmes get a shot to see if he is the real deal and if he can handle starting duties moving forward.

The downside to putting Holmes in now is that he may struggle or some of the cohesiveness that the OL has developed thru 3 games may come undone for a brief time until Holmes figures out how to gel with Thornton and Mewhort and Luck.

I will stand behind whatever choice the coaches make, as I'm sure they know better.  However, if we are going to make the change, I'd rather see it happen this week vs. the Titans than in the next 2 weeks vs. the Ravens or Texans who have much better defenses (and I think overall teams).  I think we'd have a better chance of masking minor mistakes and figuring them out vs. the Titans than we would vs. the Ravens or JJ Watt.

Great Analysis!!  You kind of swayed my own opinion there also.  I definitely agree with starting him against easier teams so he has time to find his comfort zone before we play against better defenses.  I also agree that it's better to get him experience now rather than late in the season or playoffs because that is the time to be playing our best football.  Holmes does have a higher ceiling than AQ but he is also a risk for injury, so if we were to put in Holmes now and he gets hurt in a few games or isn't playing well we can always go back to Shipley.  Also, leading Holmes to believe he is the guy of the future and then not giving him the job back when he is healthy can give him mixed feelings.  It will also build his confidence back as you mentioned.

I now believe Holmes should start this week but he should be on a very short leash.  If he is good as Grigs says he is then we shouldn't have a problem, but if there is a reason to look elsewhere we can always go back to Shipley

AND Throwing BBZ has no response after being called out by quite a few people!  It's okay to express your opinion, just make sure to reply when people call you out.  I think the majority know that Holmes has higher potential, but he is unproven and has an injury risk, that why screw something up that is working well.  It's not just the JAX game we have had a decent line, it has been for most of all the games.  Luck and Chuck both have commented several times how well the line is performing this season, although it is early, I still like what I see.