Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pagano: Colts will try and Draft a Safety...

NewColtsFan

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really don't think we need to draft one but hey, they know best

My approach would be (and I'm sure this is in minority on this forum) draft front 7 & offensive line. Everything starts in the trenches. Get a better front 7, we could start Howell & rotate Sergio in & out. We also have that Lynch guy we signed too

I'd just work on the front 7. But whatever Mr. Grigson does in May I'll support his decisions.

:rantoff:

:colts:

good idea, I think we need a safety that can cover receivers well and is a smart player and a hard hitter, like the Seahawk's Earl Thomas

The 2 safeties that can do that in this draft that I know of (Ha-Ha Clinton Dix & Poyer) will definitely be gone by the time we draft

The 2 safeties that can do that in this draft that I know of (Ha-Ha Clinton Dix & Poyer) will definitely be gone by the time we draft

There are a few others, especially in the 3rd and 4th rounds

Jimmie Ward

Dion Bailey

Kenny Ladler

Kenny Ladler: COMPARES TO: Antoine Bethea, Colts: While not as big or athletic as some of the other safeties in their respective classes, Ladler and Bethea's diagnosis skills and penchant for the big play help them project as quality NFL starters.

Jimmie Ward's great Pro Day probably means he will be gone by Pick 59.  Possibles, according to CBSSports.com: Deone Bucannon SS Round 2-3, Ed Reynolds FS Round 3-4, Dion Bailey FS 4, Craig Loston SS 4, Kenny Ladler FS 4-5, Ahmad Dixon SS 4-5, Dontae Johnson FS 5-6, Marqueston Huff FS 6, Tre Boston FS 6-7. As someone else here observed, there is a mind boggling difference of opinion on the safeties on different sites (Marqueston Huff is a high 2nd rounder on NFL.com).  If we go BPA in Round 2, there should be a number available at Pick 90.  Let's hope Grigson can pull another T.Y Hilton out of his hat.

My approach would be (and I'm sure this is in minority on this forum) draft front 7 & offensive line. Everything starts in the trenches. Get a better front 7, we could start Howell & rotate Sergio in & out. We also have that Lynch guy we signed too

I'd just work on the front 7. But whatever Mr. Grigson does in May I'll support his decisions.

Safety by far is our #1 priority in the draft, not only because of the void left by Bethea, but because both Landry and Toler in our secondary are somewhat injury-prone.

Jimmie Ward's great Pro Day probably means he will be gone by Pick 59. Possibles, according to CBSSports.com: Deone Bucannon SS Round 2-3, Ed Reynolds FS Round 3-4, Dion Bailey FS 4, Craig Loston SS 4, Kenny Ladler FS 4-5, Ahmad Dixon SS 4-5, Dontae Johnson FS 5-6, Marqueston Huff FS 6, Tre Boston FS 6-7. As someone else here observed, there is a mind boggling difference of opinion on the safeties on different sites (Marqueston Huff is a high 2nd rounder on NFL.com). If we go BPA in Round 2, there should be a number available at Pick 90. Let's hope Grigson can pull another T.Y Hilton out of his hat.

If I remember correctly, we trade up to get T.Y. I don't really like the thought of trading up at the cost of next year. We should have another late round pick again next year (i hope!) and pickings are slim enough as it is. At some point trading into the following year is going to bite us. Hopefully we can grab a good safety without having to trade up. This draft is supposed to be deep that way.

Agree with everything except one thing... I'm thinking just use 1 pick on safety Atleast for depth purposes incase Landry or Howell are hurt then all the rest on trench players

If I remember correctly, we trade up to get T.Y. I don't really like the thought of trading up at the cost of next year. We should have another late round pick again next year (i hope!) and pickings are slim enough as it is. At some point trading into the following year is going to bite us. Hopefully we can grab a good safety without having to trade up. This draft is supposed to be deep that way.

I hope to Hell we do not trade up That'll jeopardize our future and we are already feeling the not having many picks this draft let alone not 1st rd pick,Only way I'd trade up is if there is a no brainer in sight to grab as a trade up in the draft,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Anyway there shoukd be a good Olineman at 59 or FS or WR

I'm warming up to the idea of Lamarcus Joyner at FS, not SS though. The guy has a knack for big plays. His size is underwhelming but I don't think it'll be too much of a factor, especially considering how tough he is. Reminds me of Tyran Mathieu

Also Ward is a fringe first round pick, I think he'd be gone before our pick.

Ward won't be there in the 3rd or 4th rounds. I don't think he'll be there in the 2nd round. 

Yeah I  know, I got a little carried away. Though I think he goes in the 2nd round, I see holes in Wards game that makes me think Nickel Corner, Lack of top end speed to recover when beat, Good hands but is a times slow to react from Safety, I dont see the holes in his game like I do a Terrance Brooks for example but I think Ward has Nickel Corner traits, he made many of his best plays from down in that spot and is okay in Press....not great...But okay, Also is at times a bit late diagnosing run or pass which leads him to often times to get there late to only clean up the scraps of someone elses tackle, Does have very good hands though

Yeah I know, I got a little carried away. Though I think he goes in the 2nd round, I see holes in Wards game that makes me think Nickel Corner, Lack of top end speed to recover when beat, Good hands but is a times slow to react from Safety, I dont see the holes in his game like I do a Terrance Brooks for example but I think Ward has Nickel Corner traits, he made many of his best plays from down in that spot and is okay in Press....not great...But okay, Also is at times a bit late diagnosing run or pass which leads him to often times to get there late to only clean up the scraps of someone elses tackle, Does have very good hands though

In other words, :colts: don't need him. We don't need a nickel CB, we have Darius Butler for that

We need a FS if we're gonna draft one

One of these guys will be there at 59. Ward, Joyner, Bucannon, or Brooks. I like Loston in the 3rd too. I haven't seen his name here very much. What do you guys think of him?

IDK much about loston but what I read is that he is more of a SS prospect. Good hitter, aggressive

Bethea? Penchant for the big play? Lolwut?

Antoine made plenty of big plays over the years. His play dropped off a bit but he is a better than average NFL safety and nothing you will say will change my mind. I watched him very closely for 8 years. He's had a great career

Antoine made plenty of big plays over the years. His play dropped off a bit but he is a better than average NFL safety and nothing you will say will change my mind. I watched him very closely for 8 years. He's had a great career

Don't think he ever was known as the big play guy, that would be Bob Sanders. Bethea has just been a good, steady backfield presence save for the last few years.

Don't think he ever was known as the big play guy, that would be Bob Sanders. Bethea has just been a good, steady backfield presence save for the last few years.

"steady backfield presence except for the last few years"? I'll admit his play dropped some since the change in scheme. He was still a good player the last 2 years. I'm not saying this about you in particular but some people think that if a player didn't make the pro-bowl or some other award they aren't good. I remember the days before Bethea came along. The Colts safety situation was absolutely putrid. Bethea came in as a 6th round pick and absolutely solidified the spot and more. Sure, I loved Sanders. Im a big Hawkeye fan and Sanders was a big play guy but he didn't last. Bethea played every game, brought the hard hat, lunch pail and held down the back end of the cover 2.

I am starting to get the distinct impression that the Colts intent to stand pat on their OLine. If you had asked me a couple of weeks ago, I would have said the opposite, but after watching interviews and reading quotes, I would no longer be shocked if they don't draft a single OLinesman.

Mind you I'm not saying it would be my preference.

I suspect they feel they can truly go BPA in this draft, but I agree there will probably be a leaning towards making sure they get some earlier round talent at FS and likely at CB.

If it was me... I still want the best scheme-fit ILB we can possibly draft. I can buy into DQ's leadership, but am not convinced he is either the best fit, or otherwise good enough. It is just too critical a position in this D.

In other words, :colts: don't need him. We don't need a nickel CB, we have Darius Butler for that

We need a FS if we're gonna draft one

Believe it or not I think there are Corners that can make great Free Safeties...The ones with natural ball skills and good stands and speed. I just have concerns about Ward that I dont about a couple other Safeties

Not to be overly critical, but your subject heading is misleading.  The Pagano quote isn't saying "we'll try to draft one," it's just saying that "we'd like to get one."  Huge difference.  Biggest reason why it's different is, no coach would say they were trying to draft one unless it was for the purpose of throwing someone else off, misdirection if you will.  Saying you'd like to get a safety means nothing.  They'd like to get all sorts of positions.  Doesnt' mean they are trying to get one.

Not to be overly critical, but your subject heading is misleading.  The Pagano quote isn't saying "we'll try to draft one," it's just saying that "we'd like to get one."  Huge difference.  Biggest reason why it's different is, no coach would say they were trying to draft one unless it was for the purpose of throwing someone else off, misdirection if you will.  Saying you'd like to get a safety means nothing.  They'd like to get all sorts of positions.  Doesnt' mean they are trying to get one.

The Colts' coach turned his attention to the draft and said they would like to select a safety.

“There are some great safeties in the draft,” Pagano said. “We have our board set, we’ll tweak it as we go through the month of April, go to pro days and gather information on the draft. We’ll see how the draft goes and how the board is once we get to our first pick. It’ll be nice to get a young one in the fold, but we’ll see how it goes.”

Not exactly saying they will look in the draft but I dont think they are in any hurry to sign anyone off the FA list, My guess...and this is just a guess...If Jimmie Ward is there at 59 he is our man, But that will be settled come draft day,

Safety by far is our #1 priority in the draft, not only because of the void left by Bethea, but because both Landry and Toler in our secondary are somewhat injury-prone.

I neglected to mention, Delano Howell also finished the year on IR.

Yeah I  know, I got a little carried away. Though I think he goes in the 2nd round, I see holes in Wards game that makes me think Nickel Corner, Lack of top end speed to recover when beat, Good hands but is a times slow to react from Safety, I dont see the holes in his game like I do a Terrance Brooks for example but I think Ward has Nickel Corner traits, he made many of his best plays from down in that spot and is okay in Press....not great...But okay, Also is at times a bit late diagnosing run or pass which leads him to often times to get there late to only clean up the scraps of someone elses tackle, Does have very good hands though

It's not the wholes in his game that concern me with Ward going in the first round.

But I believe he's sub-5'11" and he's sub-200 pounds.

I'm not sure there's any kind of great history of safeties that small going in the first round.   And if someone can come up with one, I'd guess he's exceptionally athletic.    Exceptionally something.   If you don't have size, you better have something else going for you!

You are either a Hawkeye or a youngster. Bethea made plenty of big plays for the Colts over the years. A lot more than Bob Sanders who only played in more than 6 games for only 2 seasons. Bethea is tied for the lead in career post season int's for the franchise. He was a pro bowler in 07 nominated 2 other times and most importantly he was on the field for every big game the Colts played during his career here,. Sanders was a great talent that had a lot of big plays in him but you have to be on the field to make them. Bethea anchored the back 4 during his years here.

You have been sitting around to many camp fires to think Bob Sanders made more big plays than Bethea. 2011 was the fourth season Sanders finished the year on the IR in a row. Not to be heard from since

You are either a Hawkeye or a youngster. Bethea made plenty of big plays for the Colts over the years. A lot more than Bob Sanders who only played in more than 6 games for only 2 seasons. Bethea is tied for the lead in career post season int's for the franchise. He was a pro bowler in 07 nominated 2 other times and most importantly he was on the field for every big game the Colts played during his career here,. Sanders was a great talent that had a lot of big plays in him but you have to be on the field to make them. Bethea anchored the back 4 during his years here.

You have been sitting around to many camp fires to think Bob Sanders made more big plays than Bethea. 2011 was the fourth season Sanders finished the year on the IR in a row. Not to be heard from since

^this