Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Colts in talks for Alex Mack (mega-merge)

vitoaf27

Is it possible for the Colts to offer Mack a 10 year 150M$ contract, that paid him like 8M, 8M, 8M, 8M, 14M,18M,20M, 22M, 22M, 22M=150M  Give him say 20M guaranteed over the 1st 3 years, so he could be cut after 3 or 4 years with no cap hit, but, make it known to him, that after he signs, he would restructure his deal to more like 5 year/45M$ with 25M guaranteed. 

I don't know if that would work, or if Cleveland would still sign that with the hope to restructure as well. Just an idea.

• Replies 960
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it possible for the Colts to offer Mack a 10 year 150M$ contract, that paid him like 8M, 8M, 8M, 8M, 14M,18M,20M, 22M, 22M, 22M=150M  Give him say 20M guaranteed over the 1st 3 years, so he could be cut after 3 or 4 years with no cap hit, but, make it known to him, that after he signs, he would restructure his deal to more like 5 year/45M$ with 25M guaranteed. 

I don't know if that would work, or if Cleveland would still sign that with the hope to restructure as well. Just an idea.

:woah:

Another Browns player? OK, I know Mack is a premier C but why are we getting all these Browns players? First Richardson, that's worked out great so far....then Jackson who I'm still not sold on....and now Mack.

The Browns have a ton of talent, just no coaching or leadership with their front office.

Is it possible for the Colts to offer Mack a 10 year 150M$ contract, that paid him like 8M, 8M, 8M, 8M, 14M,18M,20M, 22M, 22M, 22M=150M Give him say 20M guaranteed over the 1st 3 years, so he could be cut after 3 or 4 years with no cap hit, but, make it known to him, that after he signs, he would restructure his deal to more like 5 year/45M$ with 25M guaranteed.

Cleveland could still match that though. This is my point, there really isn't a way for his agent to construct a deal with us that Cleveland couldn't match so I don't see why his agent would say something like that.

Cleveland could still match that though. This is my point, there really isn't a way for his agent to construct a deal with us that Cleveland couldn't match so I don't see why his agent would say something like that.

Go through that link I put earlier.  

You basically need to wait until Cleveland spends a bunch of cash, sign him to a sheet with a big year 1 roster bonus instead of signing bonus so theres a $20M+ cap hit, have the Browns not match, and then renegotiate it to a signing bonus after the time to match has passed.

You basically need to wait until Cleveland spends a bunch of cash, sign him to a sheet with a big year 1 roster bonus instead of signing bonus so theres a $20M+ cap hit, have the Browns not match, and then renegotiate it to a signing bonus after the time to match has passed.

This is assuming that Cleveland is going to spend a bunch more cash. They left almost 25 million from last yr. so I don't see them spending the type of money that would take Mack off the market for them.

This is assuming that Cleveland is going to spend a bunch more cash. They left almost 25 million from last yr. so I don't see them spending the type of money that would take Mack off the market for them.

Ben Tate wont come cheap to Cleveland.  Who knows?  This may happen.  

Wish it was a way we could get Alex Mack &/or Joe Haden :sleepy:

*Wakes up from dream*

Anyway, back to reality. If cleveland can match any offer, why are they even entertaining talks?

Well there is always the hope Mack tells Cleveland don't match the offer, I want to go to Indy and not play for you, and Cleveland listens

Wish it was a way we could get Alex Mack &/or Joe Haden :sleepy:

*Wakes up from dream*

Anyway, back to reality. If cleveland can match any offer, why are they even entertaining talks?

This is what I'm saying. Were wasting a chance to sign one of the other available guys for literally almost 0% chance of getting Mack. Unless Mack just comes out tells Cleveland not to match because he won't play for them, then were wasting our time. BTW, Mack isn't gonna do that.

That's basically a poison pill strategy.  Of course the Browns could still match it.

I'm sure Mack's agent is in heaven right now.  I'd love to have him but EDS would be a great upgrade too.

This maybe a stupid question but if the Colts offer x amount of money and the Browns matches it, can Mack still pick the Colts? Does the tag prevent him from going elsewhere if the Browns match any offers?

Nope. Mack has to sign the contract if Browns match.

If they get both Mack and say Hakeem Nicks... this free agent period would be an overwhelming success. I'm not sure on cap space , but a Mack and Decker combo would be unlikely.

There won't be enough money because of what each player will cost. We have 17 million. I don't think we can sign both unless one takes a cheap deal.

This maybe a stupid question but if the Colts offer x amount of money and the Browns matches it, can Mack still pick the Colts? Does the tag prevent him from going elsewhere if the Browns match any offers?

If the Browns match it he stays in Cleveland regardless of his wishes.

If they get both Mack and say Hakeem Nicks... this free agent period would be an overwhelming success. I'm not sure on cap space , but a Mack and Decker combo would be unlikely.

No way we get Mack and Decker. We have about 18 million left I believe. Mack will likely cost 10-11 million so that leaves us with 7-8 million

If Cleveland matches then Mack has to play in Cleveland unless he just quits. Cleveland would retain his rights for the remainder of his contract.