Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I give up making excuses for Luck's INTS

GoodLuck

I love it when somebody says "well, so and so said RG3 is gonna change the way the game is played". LOL, they say that crap all the time about some freakishly athletic QB. It works for awhile then defenses figure it out and those QB's disappear into obscurity.

they said it about vick, vince young and cam newton...thats just off the top of my head. for some reason they are obsessed with changing the culture of the qb position, lol

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm very impressed with both QBs. Comparing what they've done is apples and oranges, 'cause they've been asked to run VERY different systems. You can't fault RG3 for throwing short balls, it's what comes from the system and he's been accurate when throwing deep too. It's the complex reads that he's not been asked to make...

How do you know he's not being asked to make complex reads?

Do the Redskins send 5 players out on routes like the Colts? Nope

Does RG3 have to go to his second and third option sometimes? Yup. He did it in this game as well. But as I said in another post, if your first or second option is open, whats the point of trying to scan the field?

But heres the thing...is the Colts oline really as bad as people make it seem? I mean if they are sending out so many WR's in routes and not max protecting, the Oline cant be that bad. I could be wrong.

Does RG3 have to go to his second and third option sometimes? Yup. He did it in this game as well. But as I said in another post, if your first or second option is open, whats the point of trying to scan the field?

But heres the thing...is the Colts oline really as bad as people make it seem? I mean if they are sending out so many WR's in routes and not max protecting, the Oline cant be that bad. I could be wrong.

The Colt OL is officially in shambles.. This OL has BEEN FORCED to mix and match the entire season.

It will end up killing our QB and/or our season.

Indy should have signed Jake Scott when he was out there.

The Colt OL is officially in shambles.. This OL has BEEN FORCED to mix and match the entire season.

It will end up killing our QB and/or our season.

Indy should have signed Jake Scott when he was out there.

If anything there's a chance pass rushers might get lost in his beard on the way to the QB. He would have been a good pick up but I don't think we were in the running ever.

What makes you think the Falcons can't do it again, bub? BB has confused Manning many times in playoffs. Romeo Crennell always causes Manning issues. Chargers always knocked Peyton and Colts out of playoffs too. and it wasn't my Best response, there have been plenty. learn to read my full repsonse.. Others will find ways to stump and slow Luck, and Griffin3 as well. As they have with Cam and the Panthers. And Vick, and Vince Young, and so many others already mentioned as well.

Original question- " i wonder who the first D coordinator to devise a d scheme that is effective against it will be. Because,it will happen at some point."

It's all I said, and it WILL happen. You rant on. I'm done discussing this with you.

Then your question has already been answeresd. Teams have played well against them. No team will co

E up with a permanent fix. They will continue to run that offense and be successful with it

This is where I totally do not get where you are coming from? Luck is a ROOKIE... yet you expect him to play like a 10 year vet.

WHO expects him to play like a 10 year vet? WHAT - no one should ever say a rookie is playing poorly because being a rookie is a valid excuse for poor play? WRONG!

Just like the days when Manning would play horrible - you'd have fans saying you cant say that about him, thats Peyton Manning .... GIVE ME A BREAK!

If the guy plays bad admit he played bad and move on - don't come up with excuses!

22 total TDs and 25 total turnovers - clearly the Colts are NOT 8-4 solely because of Andrew Luck! If we were 4-8 right now and he was playing like that the media and a whole lot of fans would have already sold him out and claimed RG was the real deal and that we had made a huge mistake!

I don't know, Man. Sounds like you may be taking offense, but I don't mean any insults. RGIII would have my RoY vote. It just seems like the Redskins run a somewhat gimmicky college option offense, with the additional option of RGIII very occasionally throwing downfield. Defenses probably run special gameplans to counter. In the end, RGIII is getting little experience reading and defeating the standard NFL coverages of the day. Contrast that to Luck, who has been throwing against nickel and dime packages designed to keep him from throwing. He's made a lot of mistakes, but he's learned a lot of what he needs to know to defeat modern defenses. When the book is out (in the next year or so) on how to contain Washington's option system, RGIII will have to start learning what Luck is learning today. That's just my take on the matter...

I don't know, Man. Sounds like you may be taking offense, but I don't mean any insults. RGIII would have my RoY vote. It just seems like the Redskins run a somewhat gimmicky college option offense, with the additional option of RGIII very occasionally throwing downfield. Defenses probably run special gameplans to counter. In the end, RGIII is getting little experience reading and defeating the standard NFL coverages of the day. Contrast that to Luck, who has been throwing against nickel and dime packages designed to keep him from throwing. He's made a lot of mistakes, but he's learned a lot of what he needs to know to defeat modern defenses. When the book is out (in the next year or so) on how to contain Washington's option system, RGIII will have to start learning what Luck is learning today. That's just my take on the matter...

I am going on record as saying I like RG3 and I like our QB too. Washington is running an ols fashioned 'Veer' offense with a twist.....a world class sprinter/hurdler. :) I learned that offense in grade school....Washington does have the man to make it work with the Baylor twist.

Is it wrong football fans to appreciate RG3 and Andrew Luck? I am not afraid to say......I love watching both of these young men!!! Just my...... :2c:

I think some of us Colts fans are not used to such inconsistencies from the QB position.

Peyton? You always knew what you were getting from him.

Relax guys. It'll get better.

I seem to remember a certain San Diego game later in Peytons career when he threw more than three interceptions - just sayin!

Arians has turned him into a complete gun slinger. There's nothing cerebral about his game right now. They both need to be reeled in by someone. Not at all surprised by the 3 picks or the outcome of this game. I called it in another thread. Arians has to go.

What outcome? Oh you mean the WIN!!!

I seem to remember a certain San Diego game later in Peytons career when he threw more than three interceptions - just sayin!

You just gave me a TUMs/Cromartie stomach ache.....with habanero(spellcheck) peppers.

I hated that game.....I was in San Diego's airport at the time.....GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :rawr:

WHO expects him to play like a 10 year vet? WHAT - no one should ever say a rookie is playing poorly because being a rookie is a valid excuse for poor play? WRONG!

Just like the days when Manning would play horrible - you'd have fans saying you cant say that about him, thats Peyton Manning .... GIVE ME A BREAK!

If the guy plays bad admit he played bad and move on - don't come up with excuses!

22 total TDs and 25 total turnovers - clearly the Colts are NOT 8-4 solely because of Andrew Luck! If we were 4-8 right now and he was playing like that the media and a whole lot of fans would have already sold him out and claimed RG was the real deal and that we had made a huge mistake!

So knowing that that we have Stanton as our backup, do you think we are 8 and 4 with him? Also the whole interception debate is nonsensical, he has 16 while being forced to carry the load throwing it in the air 40 times per game, he already has 503 pass attempts with 4 games to go so of course he will throw some interceptions especially when throwing down field down after down

little factoid I created, this is int rate. Or, how many passes out of 100 are picked off (not all listed, good sample)-

Interceptions per attempt

Name Int/ATT %

M. Cassel 4.33

P. Rivers 3.54

J. Cutler 3.53

M. Sanchez 3.50

B. Weeden 3.46

R. Tannehill 3.31

J. Locker 3.30

D. Brees 3.25

R. Fitzpatrick 3.22

A. Luck 3.17

A. Dalton 3.15

T. Romo 3.11

C. Ponder 2.86

M. vick 2.85

R. Wilson 2.52

S. Bradford 2.32

A. Smith 2.30

M. Hasselbeck 2.26

------------------------

RG III 1.23

T. Brady 0.87

some backups-

C. Batch 5.71

R. Lindley 4.85

J. Campbell 4.76

B. Quinn 3.77

J. Skelton 2.79

N. Foles 2.26

C. Henne 2.17

I didn't read everthing in this post - but I looked at replays of the 3 interceptions.

There was one where it looked like he overthrew the receiver, but on further review the receiver looks like he might have gone in when luck thought he would keep going. Might be a QB or receiver mistake. Arians did say the receivers made some errors in Detroit.

There was one in the flat into tight coverage and probably shouldn't ahve been thrown.

Another he was under pressure and was stepping up in the pocket and was tripped up as he moved forward. Got his footing, saw a guy, and threw the ball. It was short and was intercepted, but the receiver looked open.

So I would say one is a toss up for fault, one was a mental mistake, and one a physical imperfection. The first kind will become less as Luck and his receivers work together more and know each other better, read defences the same, etc. Remember, Luck isn't the only new guy out there. Mental mistakes will happen. They should decrease with maturity. And sometimes you will get outplayed. If a QB never threw a tough pass into tight coverage successfully we would call him Painter.

Absolutley not. Thank God he only had to throw the ball 5 yrds for the winning Td. A great effort to extend the play on his part

I guess you forgot the 47 yard touchdown strike to Brazill in the endzone with the defender draging him down from behind :highfive2:

For every int he has thrown he has made an equally great completion.

I just can't get into the number crunching with Luck. There's obvious variables that don't make his number's match his performance.

This offense is designed to take advantage of the only thing we can do. Toss the ball down the field.

I couldn't be happier, and these threads are a major kill-joy.

I honestly believe he will be in the 2nd tier of greatness. But right now, he looks alot like Jim Harbaugh. FWIW

Take it easy on Jimmy Boy - he had us within a dropped hail mary of going to the SuperBowl! I would have taken Harbaugh in a hot second last season as I scratched my eyeballs out watching that Painter dumpster fire :eek:

No, but they take the same kind of hits that Griffin does in the pocket. In case you haven't noticed, running and athletic quarterbacks are the new thing right now....

Both have much better pocket presence and in now way shape or form take the same kind of hits.

Take it easy on Jimmy Boy - he had us within a dropped hail mary of going to the SuperBowl! I would have taken Harbaugh in a hot second last season as I scratched my eyeballs out watching that Painter dumpster fire :eek:

I hear you. He's the 2nd best Qb in Indy history. Right now, Luck is playing blue collar football and we haven't seen that style of play since Harbaugh. That's all....

I guess you forgot the 47 yard touchdown strike to Brazill in the endzone with the defender draging him down from behind :highfive2:

For every int he has thrown he has made an equally great completion.

That post was sarcasm, but I left it at that. I could have written (Sarcasm) at the end, but some homers were being...... less than kind. lol

If anything there's a chance pass rushers might get lost in his beard on the way to the QB. He would have been a good pick up but I don't think we were in the running ever.

That must be what it boils down to. I can't imagine that Grigson didn't at least try to get something going there.

What outcome? Oh you mean the WIN!!!

Still stand by everything I said. I thought we would lose, and to that point, Arians' play-calling was making that the likely outcome. My error was underestimating Mr. Luck's ability to overcome poor play-calling and his shear will to win. Arians is like a parasite that feeds off of his QB's god given abilities that make his dog turd play-calling look like chocolate souffle. All of the memorable moments that came from his offense (Indy and Pittsburgh) were from busted plays where the QB improvised and/or ran no-huddle.

I'm happy we won the game though, and quite enjoyed the crow!

Both have much better pocket presence and in now way shape or form take the same kind of hits.

Well they are two of the greatest QBs of all time and Griffin is a rookie...in any case he can extend plays in a very impressive way, both in and out of the pocket.

That must be what it boils down to. I can't imagine that Grigson didn't at least try to get something going there.

From what I can find he's on a 1 year $825k deal but I don't know how trustable that number is nor where that would fit with our cap problems this year.

I imagine too he has a fair idea of his value and wanted to go to a team with a fair chance of post season. But then he picked the Eagles?!

From what I can find he's on a 1 year $825k deal but I don't know how trustable that number is nor where that would fit with our cap problems this year.

That number makes sense. It's right in line with vet minimum. We have about $8-10 million in cap space right now, so we could have easily fit him in from the very beginning, even with a more hefty number.

I imagine too he has a fair idea of his value and wanted to go to a team with a fair chance of post season. But then he picked the Eagles?!

I always thought he was holding out for more money. Maybe he hit his breaking point and signed with the first team to call. But it's just hard to believe that we didn't at least put a call in. To me, he was the best free agent guard on the market during camp. If it were up to me, he would have been a Colt.

I wouldn't profess to have enough knowledge of O line schemes but would he have fit in with what we are running?

Even so I would have wanted him here, he couldn't fail to be an upgrade.

We switched from a zone blocking scheme to a more straight-ahead power scheme. It's usually harder for a lineman to convert to a zone blocking scheme than it is to convert to a power scheme, but sometimes the more agile and athletic zone blockers are considered smallish for a power scheme. Jake Scott would probably be considered undersized for our scheme, but the Titans ran something of a hybrid running scheme for most of Scott's time there. It's wasn't until his final season that they converted to a full zone scheme.

But, like you, I believe he would have been able to fit into whatever we chose to do.

Well they are two of the greatest QBs of all time and Griffin is a rookie...in any case he can extend plays in a very impressive way, both in and out of the pocket.

So you're completely changing the subject we were talking about after realizing it was flat wrong. Fair enough.

So you're completely changing the subject we were talking about after realizing it was flat wrong. Fair enough.

And what subject am I changing exactly? Griffin can have good pocket presence and still not be at the level of Brady or Manning. They also take the same kind of hits if not worse by being statues in the pocket. Griffin is just fine, despite your belief that he is constantly getting hammered.

And what subject am I changing exactly? Griffin can have good pocket presence and still not be at the level of Brady or Manning. They also take the same kind of hits if not worse by being statues in the pocket. Griffin is just fine, despite your belief that he is constantly getting hammered.

It's not some faith based belief, he absolutely is getting picked up off the ground and driven into the turf every game I've seen him in. Hits that Brady and Manning never take.

It's not some faith based belief, he absolutely is getting picked up off the ground and driven into the turf every game I've seen him in. Hits that Brady and Manning never take.

He is getting hit way less than a lot of people make it out to be. He is also popping right back up from those hits like Roethlisberger or Rodgers would and delivering bombs down the field right after without any fear. And I have seen Brady and Manning take some big hits...they have been playing for more than a decade in this league. They have taken way more big hits than Griffin has in just 12 games.

I still maintain that this was not, ON THE WHOLE, a good performance, and he has a lot to learn from going back over the film.

That said, his work in the last few minutes was incredible and had me jumping around the room with delight. Things like that make me certain he's destined for greatness. I just wish he'd cut down on the turnovers.

I was glad I was in the Man er Woman Cave so the neighbors couldnt hear me SCREAMING at the top of my lungs :rock: I must always remember be belowe ground level while watching away games. Funny how screaming at LOS is a virtue but in the average suburban neighborhood it is frowned upon ;) ;)

I didn't read everthing in this post - but I looked at replays of the 3 interceptions.

There was one where it looked like he overthrew the receiver, but on further review the receiver looks like he might have gone in when luck thought he would keep going. Might be a QB or receiver mistake. Arians did say the receivers made some errors in Detroit.

There was one in the flat into tight coverage and probably shouldn't ahve been thrown.

Another he was under pressure and was stepping up in the pocket and was tripped up as he moved forward. Got his footing, saw a guy, and threw the ball. It was short and was intercepted, but the receiver looked open.

So I would say one is a toss up for fault, one was a mental mistake, and one a physical imperfection. The first kind will become less as Luck and his receivers work together more and know each other better, read defences the same, etc. Remember, Luck isn't the only new guy out there. Mental mistakes will happen. They should decrease with maturity. And sometimes you will get outplayed. If a QB never threw a tough pass into tight coverage successfully we would call him Painter.

Watching the replay right now on NFL network, at least twice in this game we have had a receiver (I think it was Hilton both times) fail to cross the face of the defender on the slant pass. It resulted in an INT one time and a near pick the other time, and the second time it was the play before the long bomb to Brazil for the TD. These are probably some of the errors Arian's was talking about. Everyone blames Luck for the INT's but like you said we need to remember the guys he's playing with are young too and make a fair amount of mistakes.

little factoid I created, this is int rate. Or, how many passes out of 100 are picked off (not all listed, good sample)-

Interceptions per attempt

Name Int/ATT %

M. Cassel 4.33

P. Rivers 3.54

J. Cutler 3.53

M. Sanchez 3.50

B. Weeden 3.46

R. Tannehill 3.31

J. Locker 3.30

D. Brees 3.25

R. Fitzpatrick 3.22

A. Luck 3.17

A. Dalton 3.15

T. Romo 3.11

C. Ponder 2.86

M. vick 2.85

R. Wilson 2.52

S. Bradford 2.32

A. Smith 2.30

M. Hasselbeck 2.26

------------------------

RG III 1.23

T. Brady 0.87

some backups-

C. Batch 5.71

R. Lindley 4.85

J. Campbell 4.76

B. Quinn 3.77

J. Skelton 2.79

N. Foles 2.26

C. Henne 2.17

Golly sure would be nice if Luck could fake a hand off behind the best rushing attack in the NFL and throw to "HIS FIRST READ" .. which is exactly what they do..

It has been mentioned constantly but some talking head s are RG3 drunk...

He is getting hit way less than a lot of people make it out to be. He is also popping right back up from those hits like Roethlisberger or Rodgers would and delivering bombs down the field right after without any fear. And I have seen Brady and Manning take some big hits...they have been playing for more than a decade in this league. They have taken way more big hits than Griffin has in just 12 games.

Yeah, they have taken some hits spread out over 10+ years, he is taking them every week. He's going to break, just like Vick did.