Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do you have a problem with Jim Irsay and his tweeting?

StewieG

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think someone said it best in the Irsay/Tweeting thread that is now 16 pages long. I think we have an owner who gets genuinely excited and is very enthusiastic about the colts. I think that him tweeting all the time is a great thing. Not only does he give us insight as to what is going on with the colts but he also has contests all the time for his fans.

People have to remember that you only have 140 characters in a tweet so its hard to say alot in that little of a space. Also you have to expect that he can't give away everything as it could create alot of problems.

I ask you this though, woiuld you rather have him tweeting and telling us things that might happen, or did you like the past decade of when preseason we never heard of any trades or any attempts to make this team get better? You mean to tell me none of the people who saw the other thread didn't get that adrenaline rush when they saw the thread? Then the list of possibilities? People around here will never be pleased. When stuff like this wasn't happening people were upset and now that this type of stuff is happening people are still mad.

We are fanatics for a reason, we live and die by the horseshoe. Remember this though as well. SO DOES THE OWNER! Yet his is in the literal sense. He is the biggest fanatic of us all. Let the man be happy and excited like we all are and if something happens great. Yet if something doesn't happen ohwell. There is still time.

His style with twitter doesn't suit me personally - I really don't care for the mindless stream of consciousness. However, owners of NFL teams are wealthy enough to generally live life on their own terms. Such freedom tends to make you quirky. I'd much rather have quirky Jim Irsay than quirky Jerry Jones or Al Davis (modern version) as the owner of my favorite team. If you look at the substance of the man, Jim Irsay is an outstanding owner - one of the best in the game. He may have gotten lucky with Peyton Manning, but it was still his wisdom and leadership that enabled Polian and Dungy to build a model of consistency never seen before. He is a smart football dude with an offbeat tendency. I'll take him everyday, and twice on Sundays!

His style with twitter doesn't suit me personally - I really don't care for the mindless stream of consciousness. However, owners of NFL teams are wealthy enough to generally live life on their own terms. Such freedom tends to make you quirky. I'd much rather have quirky Jim Irsay than quirky Jerry Jones or Al Davis (modern version) as the owner of my favorite team. If you look at the substance of the man, Jim Irsay is an outstanding owner - one of the best in the game. He may have gotten lucky with Peyton Manning, but it was still his wisdom and leadership that enabled Polian and Dungy to build a model of consistency never seen before. He is a smart football dude with an offbeat tendency. I'll take him everyday, and twice on Sundays!

Agreed. It will be tough to replace Irsay. But thats a whole 'nother discussion for another time.

It's a mixed bag of treats.

This situation I detest, because the business at hand isn't complete.

I haven't liked some of his tweets that one could perceive as him being petty over the Irsay/Manning breakup. He also comes off hypocritical at times when he's had spats with writers.

I do like how he connects with the fans. The contests he hold where he's trying to pass on what is small prizes to him, on to others who could easily be more affected by it.

In the grand scheme of things you have to take the good and the bad, and the good outweighs the bad.

First things first. I don't use twitter, so I find it easier than farting in my sleep to ignore.

I'm personally getting sick of this conventional group think that says Irsay is a derp for tweeting, as if it's a big deal. Get over it. The complaining about Irsay is far more in my face than anything he does.

I don't tweet, I just don't care about it and think it is annoying, but with that said, I couldn't care less who else does it, including Mr. Irsay. If it makes him happy and he enjoys it, then more power to him. I honestly just think some people are trying to find a reason to not like Irsay and they use his tweeting as a poor excuse. He's a happy go lucky guy that likes to interact with the fans and that is personally refreshing IMO.

I like it because he keeps us updated and gives us chances to win things that we normally wouldn't be able to do.

But I feel it may be a negative in this situation, it could cause a trade that hasn't been completed to fall apart, especially since he's obviously excited about it, that could jack up the price the other team is asking for.

I'd rather have an Owner who keeps us in the Loop of Things. Than a Owner who we have to turn on the TV or go to ESPN, NFL.com etc & realize that Bethea moved to SS & we got Haden.

It really helps us out, so idk why anyone wouldn't like it.

Let's look at this scenario based on his "Trade winds, starter/high pick/ check book" comments from yesterday.

Now let's assume that he was talking about Mike Wallace from the Steelers.

He makes the claim... This peaks the interest of other teams. What is Irsay talking about? They start digging... GM's have sources too, and at times their sources are better than reporters. So another team learns that Irsay would give up next year's 1 to the Steelers for Wallace. They say well, we can do that and to guarantee we get him. We will give up the 1 and 4th rounder... At that point the Steelers could easily say you need to match or beat that offer. The cost of the transaction just went up. If you get a couple of teams involved no telling what a team would have to give away to get Wallace. It could end up costing more picks than was originally planned.

Let's say the trade goes through. The team is strapped for cap space this year... Rough estimate is that they have 5-6 million in space. With that said they should be able to sign a creative deal to get Wallace under contract with an extension, but the “I have my check book ready” comments can make the agent's asking price a little higher... Which likely means the settling price will end up being higher than if his asking price was a little lower.

In this particular case, Irsay would've been better suited just waiting for the deal being done before thumb wrestling his iphone into submission.

Whatever this deal is, it might get done without any issues... It might blow up in his face. The less he says about things like this the better.

1st Grigson's Trading, now Irsay Tweeting??

You know, I get the feeling that some of you guys just don't like our Front Office :lol:

AS long as they can field a winning team I don't care. My only concern is can they put together a winner.They can tweet and trade all they want, but they better build the monster!

I love that he tweets, i normally deffend him bcause so many people it seems to be like to be to serious...but i cant support his last move. I understand trying to incentivate fan base, but he doesnt land the guy he is gonna look bad ...and Griggs...or if the player is not what we are expecting, hte likes of Hadden revis etc...

i just hope he wouldnt have tweeted about a possible trade. otherwise, im fine with him tweeting

Let's look at this scenario based on his "Trade winds, starter/high pick/ check book" comments from yesterday.

He makes the claim... This peaks the interest of other teams. What is Irsay talking about? They start digging... GM's have sources too, and at times their sources are better than reporters. So another team learns that Irsay would give up next year's 1 to the Steelers for Wallace. They say well, we can do that and to guarantee we get him. We will give up the 1 and 4th rounder... At that point the Steelers could easily say you need to match or beat that offer. The cost of the transaction just went up. If you get a couple of teams involved no telling what a team would have to give away to get Wallace. It could end up costing more picks than was originally planned.

Let's say the trade goes through. The team is strapped for cap space this year... Rough estimate is that they have 5-6 million in space. With that said they should be able to sign a creative deal to get Wallace under contract with an extension, but the “I have my check book ready” comments can make the agent's asking price a little higher... Which likely means the settling price will end up being higher than if his asking price was a little lower.

In this particular case, Irsay would've been better suited just waiting for the deal being done before thumb wrestling his iphone into submission.

Whatever this deal is, it might get done without any issues... It might blow up in his face. The less he says about things like this the better.

I mean that's just his Style. You can't change someone

AS long as they can field a winning team I don't care. My only concern is can they put together a winner.They can tweet and trade all they want, but they better build the monster!

I think this Trade will be a big part in building the monster if it's who we think it is

I think this Trade will be a big part in building the monster if it's who we think it is

Who do we think it is? Because with all the silly rumors, I personally have no idea. Hayden or Revis would be awesome, but I just doubt very much if that happens. In fact, I have really been doubting that anything was going to happen since late yesterday afternoon.

I used to have major problems with Irsay's tweets.....but in the words of the great Pink Floyd song "I've become comfortably numb" to them....

The incessant tweets as we worried about Peyton kicked my 'rear end.' Then the plays on words during the coaching search.....but he is the owner of our Indianapolis Colts.....he will tweet until the cows come home....and we aint got no cows... :)

To make 'a long story 'longer' I am over it :)

Edited by BrentMc11

I ask you this though, woiuld you rather have him tweeting and telling us things that might happen, or did you like the past decade of when preseason we never heard of any trades or any attempts to make this team get better? You mean to tell me none of the people who saw the other thread didn't get that adrenaline rush when they saw the thread? Then the list of possibilities? People around here will never be pleased. When stuff like this wasn't happening people were upset and now that this type of stuff is happening people are still mad.

Why does it have to be one or the other?

I like what the front office is doing, and I would give them an A- grade on this offseason so far. Grigson is active, he's not restricting himself to just working through the draft (neither did Polian in his first few years here either though, just to be fair), and I think we're in good hands. If we wind up swinging a trade for a starter, I'll judge the move based on its merits.

However, I don't like Irsay's tweets about a potential move. There's nothing positive that can come from it. For him to tweet that the GM is actively pursuing ways to improve the team, and that his checkbook is open, that's fine, but tipping your hand that you're ready to make a trade isn't really smart.

When he tweets things that are going on with the team, or when he announces roster moves or things like that, no problem. Even when he was tweeting progress about Luck's deal, I have no problem with that (some did, though). In this case, however, there's simply no upside to saying that you're working on a trade.

I think it's fine and don't see a problem with it, sure some of his tweets are not the greatest PR, but they're still fine, he's just as big of a fan as we are of the game, and wants to be a regular guy. I mean aren't we all a little bit of guitar playing, alcohol consuming hippies?

Why does it have to be one or the other?

I like what the front office is doing, and I would give them an A- grade on this offseason so far. Grigson is active, he's not restricting himself to just working through the draft (neither did Polian in his first few years here either though, just to be fair), and I think we're in good hands. If we wind up swinging a trade for a starter, I'll judge the move based on its merits.

However, I don't like Irsay's tweets about a potential move. There's nothing positive that can come from it. For him to tweet that the GM is actively pursuing ways to improve the team, and that his checkbook is open, that's fine, but tipping your hand that you're ready to make a trade isn't really smart.

When he tweets things that are going on with the team, or when he announces roster moves or things like that, no problem. Even when he was tweeting progress about Luck's deal, I have no problem with that (some did, though). In this case, however, there's simply no upside to saying that you're working on a trade.

Second paragraph 'spot on!' No hints to other GMs....could actually 'hinder' a deal.

I don't use twitter, so I only see Irsay's tweets when they are posted here. I'm annoyed when they are cryptic and offer no real information, just a tease. My annoyance is my own impatience and has nothing to do with Irsay's will to tweet or not to tweet. Irsay is pretty good at getting people hyped up and using twitter as a clever marketing tool. He gets a reaction and people tune in.

Personally I don't use twitter, but I think its kind of cool he is willing to use his twitter to communicate with fans (like this whole trade thing)

Does anyone not like it?

No...he's having fun...and its his team...we read him and I'm sure he gets a kick out of it...

Whatever decisions he makes right or wrong (and he's made some wrong ones this year)

...I appreciate that its not only his team...its something he is occupied with every day....

..and he knows we make the Colts popular by our attention so he messes with us and gives us something to think about.

I appreciate hearing from him even when he makes no sense...

On the other hand, He Just Announced He and Grigs are ready to deal to ANYONE with Starting Quality players.

The Bank is Open! There is Some limit to the Available Resources (Salary Cap) so if you got some good Product that you might be needing/willing to make available at the 53 man cut, You just might want to see what you can get Today while we are Still IN THE MARKET! :stir:

People think NOW, these are going to be Quality early in the Round draft picks. Value.

Sharp! Shrewd! Very Good Positioning!

Irsay, Grigson, Pagano are Loving it and IMO, think this Team is so close to Shocking the World! :omg:

On the other hand, He Just Announced He and Grigs are ready to deal to ANYONE with Starting Quality players.

The Bank is Open! There is Some limit to the Available Resources (Salary Cap) so if you got some good Product that you might be needing/willing to make available at the 53 man cut, You just might want to see what you can get Today while we are Still IN THE MARKET! :stir:

People think NOW, these are going to be Quality early in the Round draft picks. Value.

Sharp! Shrewd! Very Good Positioning!

Irsay, Grigson, Pagano are Loving it and IMO, think this Team is so close to Shocking the World! :omg:

I hope he has a better understanding of the salary cap then he did in the past 12 months.

It certainly doesn't seem like it.

Unless they plan on getting very creative with guaranteed dollars for next year.