Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Irsay, now (23/08)

Marcio James

I have no problems with Irsay doing this - his enthusiasm is infectious. It's just that unless the only thing they are waiting for is for the ink to dry on the agreements, this type of thing can NOT be making Grigson's job easier. It could even cost him leverage in a deal if he is trying to play things close to the vest ("ah, we'd like to get him but it's not THAT big a deal") and all of a sudden the owner is bouncing around like a 5 year old.

I personally like it. Makes it seem like he's more like one of the guys instead of a stuck up rich *...which I have to deal with at times. Its usually the wannabe baller types who really get on my nerves.

My only issue is the deal isn't done.

This "technique", if that is what you want to call it could invite other teams into the discussion. Of course it depends on the guy. The checkbook comments are a little out there since there is about 1/3rd of the cap sitting in dead money this year. There isn't a ton of space to be writing checks. Comments like that will make the agent add some $'s to the request. A lot like how he did with Manning wanting to brag and boast about him being the highest paid player... Agents love that garbage.

I like the enthusiastic nature and everything I just don't think it's a great idea to go about it this way.

Now once the deal is signed and delivered, then by all means have fun with the fan base.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

found this on rotoworld.com

Cary Williams - DB - Ravens

A reliable source tells the Indianapolis Star the player the Colts are pursuing in trade talks is a cornerback.

Owner Jim Irsay's comments suggest the trade target is a veteran looking for a new contract. Williams reportedly turned down a three-year, $15 million offer before training camp, and the Ravens have depth in 2011 first-rounder Jimmy Smith. CBS Sports' Jason LaCanfora confirms the Colts have had no talks with the Cowboys about Mike Jenkins' (shoulder) availability. Rotoworld's Evan Silva suspects Dolphins CB Vontae Davis could be the Colts' target, as Williams is playing Thursday night. If he was involved in talks, the Ravens would likely hold him out.

this would be Nice..

yea I posted I thought it might be williams.. i dont care if hes playing I think its likely considering he turned down contract extension

found this on rotoworld.com

Cary Williams - DB - Ravens

A reliable source tells the Indianapolis Star the player the Colts are pursuing in trade talks is a cornerback.

Owner Jim Irsay's comments suggest the trade target is a veteran looking for a new contract. Williams reportedly turned down a three-year, $15 million offer before training camp, and the Ravens have depth in 2011 first-rounder Jimmy Smith. CBS Sports' Jason LaCanfora confirms the Colts have had no talks with the Cowboys about Mike Jenkins' (shoulder) availability. Rotoworld's Evan Silva suspects Dolphins CB Vontae Davis could be the Colts' target, as Williams is playing Thursday night. If he was involved in talks, the Ravens would likely hold him out.

this would be Nice..

Sweet. Vontae! Still young and looked like a very promising corner. Just that pats game where Brady threw all over them for like 517 yards.... I was thinking what was he doing during that game? And that game was like a week before he (or Sean Smith) said they were the best cornerback tandem in the NFL..

100% certain that it will be a cb. my gut feeling is that it will be for dominique rodgers-cromartie. pagano's knows that were thin at cb but he also likes big physical cb's and drc is 6'2 with 4.3 speed. if not drc then the only other cb that i see us trading for is vontae davis.

Try 4.2 speed, and a man coverage extraordinaire.

I"ll say this.....

If we make a trade where we are sending out a high draft pick (read 1st or 2nd round) to take on a veteran player like a CB or OT, or whatever the position.... here's what I think it signals...

I think it means that Irsay/Grigson/Pagano all feel that we have a very good chance of being a playoff team THIS YEAR.

Think about that.

No reason to trade a high pick for a player if you don't think we've got a very, very good shot at the playoffs.

I hope we're not over-evaluating what we've seen after just two pre-season games. That might be a bad mis-read of our situation....

The next few days/few weeks leading up to the start of the regular season are going to be fascinating to watch....

I"ll say this.....

If we make a trade where we are sending out a high draft pick (read 1st or 2nd round) to take on a veteran player like a CB or OT, or whatever the position.... here's what I think it signals...

I think it means that Irsay/Grigson/Pagano all feel that we have a very good chance of being a playoff team THIS YEAR.

Think about that.

No reason to trade a high pick for a player if you don't think we've got a very, very good shot at the playoffs.

I hope we're not over-evaluating what we've seen after just two pre-season games. That might be a bad mis-read of our situation....

The next few days/few weeks leading up to the start of the regular season are going to be fascinating to watch....

If we're gonna trade a first or second rounder, they'd better be a star in their prime.

I"ll say this.....

Think about that.

I agree. I think we are going to beat alot of teams this year. Or at least make more waves than expected. Don't know why just a gut feeling.

Apparent laziness.

Yeah I just looked him up and wasn't really pleased with what I read..

From Rotoworld:

Tuesday night's first episode of Hard Knocksshowed that Dolphins LCB Vontae Davis was out of shape when he reported to camp.

We're surprised the Miami media never picked up on this. Davis, who was recently demoted to the second-team defense, is not depicted in a positive light on episode one. He was also called out by the Dolphins' secondary coach. "You need to change your attitude, change your ways," said DBs coach Lou Anarumo. Davis had a minor confrontation with head coach Joe Philbin later on.

indee I saw that you posted about Williams, just thought this had more info on possibilities.. who would you take Williams or Davis? I think I would take Williams... Pagono and history and he is good.. don't know a whole lot about Davis

Davis was just a first round pick a couple years ago. He's pretty good.

I'm fine with Davis, he's a solid corner.

What is it, though, that makes the Dolphins prepared to part with him? There aren't some underlying issues, are there?

He's probably a stand-up guy with no obvious issues, and they decided that they weren't comfortable with that. :)

Cary Williams?

"Report: Colts pursuing a veteran cornerback - Cary Will... http://bit.ly/O75kLe"

Report: Colts pursuing a veteran cornerback - Cary Will... http://t.co/W1YjstVV

— Colts Insider (@Colts_Insider)

August 24, 2012

Per Scouts, Inc., "Williams is a long and lean player with good athleticism and above-average strength. He was very active in Baltimores secondary with 18 passes broken up this season. He is quick to react as route progressions unfold. Williams is a solid run-support defender but has a tough time in block protection versus larger and more physical receivers."

We're surprised the Miami media never picked up on this. Davis, who was recently demoted to the second-team defense, is not depicted in a positive light on episode one. He was also called out by the Dolphins' secondary coach. "You need to change your attitude, change your ways," said DBs coach Lou Anarumo. Davis had a minor confrontation with head coach Joe Philbin later on.

Ouch.

indee I saw that you posted about Williams, just thought this had more info on possibilities.. who would you take Williams or Davis? I think I would take Williams... Pagono and history and he is good.. don't know a whole lot about Davis

honestly I really dont know much about either williams or davis and i know alot about football more than average watcher. I only guessed it might be williams based on early week turn down of extension. I guess I would take williams based on Pagano history and maybe thats why he turned ravens down.

Cary Williams?

"Report: Colts pursuing a veteran cornerback - Cary Will... http://bit.ly/O75kLe"

https://twitter.com/...802947818016768

Per Scouts, Inc., "Williams is a long and lean player with good athleticism and above-average strength. He was very active in Baltimores secondary with 18 passes broken up this season. He is quick to react as route progressions unfold. Williams is a solid run-support defender but has a tough time in block protection versus larger and more physical receivers."

ive never heard of him, but I love to have vonta davis

Yeah I just looked him up and wasn't really pleased with what I read..

From Rotoworld:

Tuesday night's first episode of Hard Knocksshowed that Dolphins LCB Vontae Davis was out of shape when he reported to camp.

Hmmm.... Not sure if I like the sound of that... Especially if Jimmy's got the checkbook ready....

honestly I really dont know much about either williams or davis and i know alot about football more than average watcher. I only guessed it might be williams based on early week turn down of extension. I guess I would take williams based on Pagano history and maybe thats why he turned ravens down.

Davis is younger, faster, and better.

Cary Williams Bio

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/team/roster/Cary-Williams/5550c752-576a-43af-b864-ad45c0d343e4

Transactions

Cary Williams signed with the Baltimore Ravens on 11/24/09...Originally drafted by the Titans in the seventh round (229th-overall) in the 2008 NFL Draft.

Career

• Has 13 tackles (7 solo) and 1 PD from scrimmage and 11 special teams stops
  • Posted a career-high 9 tackles and had a PD from scrimmage at NE (10/18/09) while playing for Tennessee

2010: (with Baltimore – 13/0, 2/0) Tied for fifth on the team with 6 special teams tackles...Also pulled in his first-career pass reception, for 13 yards, on a fake punt vs. Mia. (11/7)

• Pulled in his first-career pass reception (on a fake punt), good for 13 yards, to convert a first down on 4th-and-10 in the 26-10 win in game 8 vs. Mia. (11/7)
  • Saw action from scrimmage and collected 1 special teams tackle in game 6 at NE (10/17)
  • Played on special teams and had a key solo special teams tackle (Josh Cribbs) in the 24- 17 victory in game 3 vs. Cle. (9/26)

2009: (with Tennessee/Baltimore – 9/1, 2/0) Appeared in five games with the Titans, including his first-career start after being signed by Baltimore on 11/24 (also played in four games with the Titans in 2009)...Posted 13 tackles from scrimmage and 5 special teams stops

• Started his first-career NFL game and posted 1 tackle for a defense that tied a franchise record, forcing 6 turnovers and holding QB Jay Cutler to a Ravens' franchise-record-low 7.9 QB rating in the 31-7 victory in game 14 vs. Chi. (12/20)...Also netted 2 tackles and a FR on special teams against the Bears
  • Saw his first action as a Raven, posting 2 solo special teams tackles, in game 12 at GB (12/7)
  • Posted a career-high 9 tackles and had a PD (while playing for Tennessee) in game 6 at NE (10/18)

2008: (with Tennessee – 1/0, IR) Spent the majority of the season on the Titans' practice squad...Placed on Injured Reserve (quad) on 12/19

• Played in his first-career NFL game in game 14 at Hou. (12/14)...Signed to Tennessee's active roster from its practice squad on 12/9

College

Two-year starter (2006-07) at Washburn after playing his initial two collegiate seasons at Fordham University...Started all 23 games for Washburn, collecting 94 tackles, 11 INTs, 12 PD and 1 FR...Also posted 27 KORs for 689 yards (25.5 avg.) and 2 TDs...Also had 1 reception for a 68-yard TD...Led the team (second in school history) and was sixth in Division II with 7 INTs returned for 164 yards and 1 TD as a senior…Was named All-MIAA as a KO returner, recording 17 returns for 487 yards (28.6 avg.) and 2 TDs...Also netted a career-high 56 tackles and 1 FR...Started all 11 games and recorded 38 tackles, 5 PD and 4 INTs (second on team) as a junior in 2006...Added 10 KORs for 202 yards in his first playing season at Washburn...Redshirted in 2005…Played in 13 games, netting 18 tackles, 2 PD and 1 FR in two seasons (2003-04) at Fordham...When Williams participated at Washburn's pro timing day early in the 2008 offseason, only one NFL scout was in attendance, but the University of Kansas then allowed him to take part in its pro day, providing an audience of representatives from most teams in the NFL.

High School, Personal

Played WR and DB at Chaminade-Madonna College Preparatory (Hollywood, FL) as a senior, after attending Coral Gables (Miami, FL) HS as a junior and Flanagan (Pembroke Pines, FL) as a freshman and sophomore…Full name: Cary Eric Williams.

Community

Participated in a number of his teammates' community efforts in 2010...Supported Ed Reed's relationship with Booker T. Washington Middle School by assisting in the distribution of Thanksgiving dinner baskets to 125 families...Attended Ray Rice's Thanksgiving dinner at the Helping Up Mission...Joined Baltimore City Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake, Rice and other teammates in serving hot meals to the 275 men who stay at the shelter

Cary Williams?

https://twitter.com/...802947818016768

This is the first report I've read that makes sense. Ties to Pagano, young enough to justify a high draft pick, #2 CB is a position of need since trading Thomas, 16 game starter last year with 18 PDs (no INTs though in his career).

Hmm...I'm not sure i'd be happy with giving a "HIGH" draft pick for either Williams or Davis...Nor would I be happy for Mr. Irsay to "have the checkbook ready" for either of them

Gotta say, after all this build up and excitement I'll be a little disappointed if it's all for Cary Williams...>__>

Davis would be slightly less disappointing...

Cary Williams Bio

http://www.baltimore...64-ad45c0d343e4

Transactions

Cary Williams signed with the Baltimore Ravens on 11/24/09...Originally drafted by the Titans in the seventh round (229th-overall) in the 2008 NFL Draft.

Career

• Has 13 tackles (7 solo) and 1 PD from scrimmage and 11 special teams stops
  • Posted a career-high 9 tackles and had a PD from scrimmage at NE (10/18/09) while playing for Tennessee

2010: (with Baltimore – 13/0, 2/0) Tied for fifth on the team with 6 special teams tackles...Also pulled in his first-career pass reception, for 13 yards, on a fake punt vs. Mia. (11/7)

• Pulled in his first-career pass reception (on a fake punt), good for 13 yards, to convert a first down on 4th-and-10 in the 26-10 win in game 8 vs. Mia. (11/7)
  • Saw action from scrimmage and collected 1 special teams tackle in game 6 at NE (10/17)
  • Played on special teams and had a key solo special teams tackle (Josh Cribbs) in the 24- 17 victory in game 3 vs. Cle. (9/26)

2009: (with Tennessee/Baltimore – 9/1, 2/0) Appeared in five games with the Titans, including his first-career start after being signed by Baltimore on 11/24 (also played in four games with the Titans in 2009)...Posted 13 tackles from scrimmage and 5 special teams stops

• Started his first-career NFL game and posted 1 tackle for a defense that tied a franchise record, forcing 6 turnovers and holding QB Jay Cutler to a Ravens' franchise-record-low 7.9 QB rating in the 31-7 victory in game 14 vs. Chi. (12/20)...Also netted 2 tackles and a FR on special teams against the Bears
  • Saw his first action as a Raven, posting 2 solo special teams tackles, in game 12 at GB (12/7)
  • Posted a career-high 9 tackles and had a PD (while playing for Tennessee) in game 6 at NE (10/18)

2008: (with Tennessee – 1/0, IR) Spent the majority of the season on the Titans' practice squad...Placed on Injured Reserve (quad) on 12/19

• Played in his first-career NFL game in game 14 at Hou. (12/14)...Signed to Tennessee's active roster from its practice squad on 12/9

College

Two-year starter (2006-07) at Washburn after playing his initial two collegiate seasons at Fordham University...Started all 23 games for Washburn, collecting 94 tackles, 11 INTs, 12 PD and 1 FR...Also posted 27 KORs for 689 yards (25.5 avg.) and 2 TDs...Also had 1 reception for a 68-yard TD...Led the team (second in school history) and was sixth in Division II with 7 INTs returned for 164 yards and 1 TD as a senior…Was named All-MIAA as a KO returner, recording 17 returns for 487 yards (28.6 avg.) and 2 TDs...Also netted a career-high 56 tackles and 1 FR...Started all 11 games and recorded 38 tackles, 5 PD and 4 INTs (second on team) as a junior in 2006...Added 10 KORs for 202 yards in his first playing season at Washburn...Redshirted in 2005…Played in 13 games, netting 18 tackles, 2 PD and 1 FR in two seasons (2003-04) at Fordham...When Williams participated at Washburn's pro timing day early in the 2008 offseason, only one NFL scout was in attendance, but the University of Kansas then allowed him to take part in its pro day, providing an audience of representatives from most teams in the NFL.

High School, Personal

Played WR and DB at Chaminade-Madonna College Preparatory (Hollywood, FL) as a senior, after attending Coral Gables (Miami, FL) HS as a junior and Flanagan (Pembroke Pines, FL) as a freshman and sophomore…Full name: Cary Eric Williams.

Community

Participated in a number of his teammates' community efforts in 2010...Supported Ed Reed's relationship with Booker T. Washington Middle School by assisting in the distribution of Thanksgiving dinner baskets to 125 families...Attended Ray Rice's Thanksgiving dinner at the Helping Up Mission...Joined Baltimore City Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake, Rice and other teammates in serving hot meals to the 275 men who stay at the shelter

awesome.. now whats his favorite color? Movie? does his car have enough gas for an 11 hour trip to Indy?... Ha!!

Hmm...I'm not sure i'd be happy with giving a "HIGH" draft pick for either Williams or Davis...Nor would I be happy for Mr. Irsay to "have the checkbook ready" for either of them

Gotta say, after all this build up and excitement I'll be a little disappointed if it's all for Cary Williams...>__>

Davis would be slightly less disappointing...

That's what I was thinking, Irsay probably wouldn't need to bring out his checkbook for either of those players