Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rumor: Colts Listed as Trade Partner for Steelers WR Mike Wallace

Restored

According to numerous reports via Twitter (Evan Silva and Pittsburg Post Gazette Ed Bouchette) the Colts are listed as a possible team along with Miami for a possible trade for Steelers WR Mike Wallace.

I can't post actual links since I'm at work. Any links would be appreciated!

Thoughts?

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember.... wide receiver is the **diva** position. And by some accounts, Wallace is asking for Larry Fitzgerald money.

Even if it's short of that, he's looking for $10 MIll + per season. Doubt we have the cap room this year....

Does Grigson want to blow-up his cap space on this guy? Maybe. But I'm not so sure.

Remember.... wide receiver is the **diva** position. And by some accounts, Wallace is asking for Larry Fitzgerald money.

Even if it's short of that, he's looking for $10 MIll + per season. Doubt we have the cap room this year....

Does Grigson want to blow-up his cap space on this guy? Maybe. But I'm not so sure.

We will have the money next season. Pitt could go a "sign and trade" similar to what the NBA typically does. We'd pick up his one year deal on the premise that we would give him big time WR money next year (which he really deserves IMO).

We will have the money next season. Pitt could go a "sign and trade" similar to what the NBA typically does. We'd pick up his one year deal on the premise that we would give him big time WR money next year (which he really deserves IMO).

Which is what I see the colts doing, give pits a third rounder and a fair amount of money to wallace but not so much that he seems overpaid

He's got one route. It's an awesome one and he runs it with precision, often with huge results. I'm with everyone else though, not top tier enough. Can't pay him like it.

That's the beauty of it. The fact that he has only one real route he excels at and everyone knows it but they still can't stop him? That's a sign of greatness. Now if he can refine his other routes, just imagine how well he could excel. Learning from Wayne couldn't hurt either.

A lot of people would like this move, but I'm not for it. Mike Wallace is a speedster who can run the go route. We already brought in 2 speedsters in Avery and Hilton and they are both much cheaper than Wallace, who is asking for Fitz type of money while not being anywhere near a Fitz type receiver. I don't want to see us trade for him.

It looks like the Steelers really are thinking trade. They signed their number two receiver Antonio Brown to a 5 year $42.5 million extension.

The insider rumor board says they are showing Wallace they'll only talk with players that are in camp. Here's a really interesting quote:

"Do not be surprised if Steelers trade Mike Wallace during training camp," Dulac tweeted. "They no longer believe they can sign him long term."

The article on Wallace and the Steelers is the last one down when you click the link.

http://insider.espn....features/rumors

The problem you somewhat run in with Hilton mainly and a little less in Avery is size. Hilton at 5-9 against the press has a greater chance of struggling than Avery and Wallace. Wallace showed he can run more than the go route. It's no surprise he's asking for FItz type of money when was posting similar numbers to Fitzgerald before getting injured. He's not going to get Fitzgerald money, but it should be something in the range of it.

trade freeny and a second rounder. give him a back loaded contract, we would still have loads of cap space.

manning+harrison= luck+wallace

Umm....Why would the Steelers want Freeney? They have James Harrison and Lamar Woodley...Pretty sure both of them are better OLBs than Freeney is.

EDIT: Another thing to add, the Steelers if nothing good comes to them on the trade table can simply keep wallace and franchise him again next year since they signed Brown long term. It would be low blow move by them, but a smart one and it's something for them to lean back on.

I sure hope they can pull this trade off. Wayne and Wallace teaming up with each other would help Luck that much more to settle in to the NFL. Wayne will not have to worry about being double teamed, would put collie back in the slot, and would keep TY Hilton Healthy for special teams. not to mention our WR core would be that much deeper. and could be the next great colts offense kinda giving the Manning/Harrison/Wayne feel to it instead would be Luck/Wayne/Wallace. definentely not worth a first round pick though. maybe a second round pick if they give back a 5th or 6th round pick with wallace. again not worth the first round pick, that pick needs to be used on a defensive player. im kinda iffy about a second round also because i have a feeling te'o will fall to the second round given his shaky pass defense. all in all i hope we get him.

trade freeny and a second rounder. give him a back loaded contract, we would still have loads of cap space.

manning+harrison= luck+wallace

Lol i just posted the whole Luck/Wayne/Wallace would be the next Manning/Harrison/Wayne threat the same time you did haha.

I am all for picking up Mike Wallace if he ever really retires from 60 Minutes. :)

Seriously Bruce Arians will have already talked to Wallace via cell. Big Ben and Arians made him a name in the NFL......Luck to Wayne, Collie, Wallace, Fleener, Allen, and Mewelde Moore on 3rd down...sounds scary to this Colt Fan!! Arians knows him...if he is worth it I trust him to help Grigs and Pagano decide. Freeney and a 4th?

He would be a great fit at the #2 WR spot. BUT is he really worth the headache? I dont think so. Plus the Colts will have to trade a lot for him.

Wallace would be our #1 I think. He's only been a headache about a long term deal. We wouldn't have to give up too much, and he would be worth it, IMO.

I am all for picking up Mike Wallace if he ever really retires from 60 Minutes. :)

Seriously Bruce Arians will have already talked to Wallace via cell. Big Ben and Arians made him a name in the NFL......Luck to Wayne, Collie, Wallace, Fleener, Allen, and Mewelde Moore on 3rd down...sounds scary to this Colt Fan!! Arians knows him...if he is worth it I trust him to help Grigs and Pagano decide. Freeney and a 4th?

Assuming he's not the missing piece for us winning the Super Bowl this year (which he's not), I'd just rather him become a free agent then sign him outright next year if we're interested. He knows Arians, he knows the system; you'd have to think we'd have a leg up on the rest of the league when you pair that with our $. I don't know why we'd give up assets for him AND still have to pay him.

Assuming he's not the missing piece for us winning the Super Bowl this year (which he's not), I'd just rather him become a free agent then sign him outright next year if we're interested. He knows Arians, he knows the system; you'd have to think we'd have a leg up on the rest of the league when you pair that with our $. I don't know why we'd give up assets for him AND still have to pay him.

I won't disagree...I smelled the cap space for next year growing more and if and only if Freeney does not fit the 3/4. Arians does know him better than anyone.....so just throwing one out there. Good point.

He would be a great fit at the #2 WR spot. BUT is he really worth the headache? I dont think so. Plus the Colts will have to trade a lot for him.

Well that headache is not all his fault. The Steelers have been doing everything possible to delay paying him when he's shown he at least deserves to be payed a decent amount. He might not be Fitzgerald or Johnson (Calvin or Andre) money, but he's earned his payday. Besides the the contract issue I at least haven't seen him be an issue.

Well that headache is not all his fault. The Steelers have been doing everything possible to delay paying him when he's shown he at least deserves to be payed a decent amount. He might not be Fitzgerald or Johnson (Calvin or Andre) money, but he's earned his payday. Besides the the contract issue I at least haven't seen him be an issue.

He turned down a 5 year 50 million dollar deal almost immediately. I don't want to spend a dime more than that, and plus the Colts can't even afford that.