Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rumor: Colts Listed as Trade Partner for Steelers WR Mike Wallace

Restored

Reporters are saying a 4th

We don't have a 4th next year. I would be super surprised if the Steelers don't retain him this year at that low salary. Next year they would have the option of franchising him or again doing a sign and trade. Its the Cowboy situation all over. He is way too affordable to give away for the production he can offer. Unless someone comes out and is willing to give like a 2nd rounder or another quality player I don't see it. The issue for other teams isn't just giving away someone or a pick but then signing him to a deal that would be around 10-12 million likely that he is asking for. I personally don't see him going anywhere!

As for him coming here. Arians would have to be very very much in love with the guy which I doubt. Arians system is set up that they often were able to constantly draft middle of the draft guys and get GREAT production out of them. I think we can get just as good production out of what we have here if the coaching staff does their job right. Personally I like investing money in the OL and DL/DBs. If Luck is soo good he should be able to make avg receivers look good like Peyton did. I would rather go after a stud tackle or proven pass rusher which to me is much harder to develop or discover than a wr or rb where teams tend to bust on high profile picks or guys and find gems late in the draft like we did with Garcon and other teams have as well.

I think there is about a 10% chance we even sniff Mike Wallace.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We don't have a 4th next year. I would be super surprised if the Steelers don't retain him this year at that low salary. Next year they would have the option of franchising him or again doing a sign and trade. Its the Cowboy situation all over. He is way too affordable to give away for the production he can offer. Unless someone comes out and is willing to give like a 2nd rounder or another quality player I don't see it. The issue for other teams isn't just giving away someone or a pick but then signing him to a deal that would be around 10-12 million likely that he is asking for. I personally don't see him going anywhere!

As for him coming here. Arians would have to be very very much in love with the guy which I doubt. Arians system is set up that they often were able to constantly draft middle of the draft guys and get GREAT production out of them. I think we can get just as good production out of what we have here if the coaching staff does their job right. Personally I like investing money in the OL and DL/DBs. If Luck is soo good he should be able to make avg receivers look good like Peyton did. I would rather go after a stud tackle or proven pass rusher which to me is much harder to develop or discover than a wr or rb where teams tend to bust on high profile picks or guys and find gems late in the draft like we did with Garcon and other teams have as well.

I think there is about a 10% chance we even sniff Mike Wallace.

We have a forth, we just don't have a fifth.

I don't know if this has been mentioned in this thread or not, but the rumor started from a Pittsburgh writer saying the Steelers should think about trading Wallace since it will be difficult to resign him given their cap constraints. Then it goes from an idea from a writer to a "rumor" to a "report."

The Steelers are probably not going to trade Mike Wallace, especially for a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Wallace wants to be paid like Vincent Jackson, not Fitzgerald

http://www.rotoworld...29/mike-wallace

this changes my opinion on the matter. I'd say offer a 4th and give the guy his money next year, we can more then a afford a large contract next year.

I was just thinking that would be market value. 5 years $55 mil. is something we can work out as an extension next year, that is VJax money. I think we trade for him, give up a 3rd, which would be still a good trade, and as soon as the season ends, sign him up for an extension for that that money. We just do not have the room to do it during the season if that is what he wants. That is what makes it practically impossible.

Wallace was a 3rd round pick and he is not going to get more than a 3rd round pick, so the Steelers wanting more than a 3rd round pick is not going to get them a trade partner and will result in a continually disgrunted wideout. Randy Moss - 3rd round pick, Santonio Holmes - 5th round pick, Ted Ginn Jr. - 5th round pick - these are all original first round picks. Yes, circumstances were all different but unless it is a QB, it is totally unrealistic to expect more than a 3rd rounder for Mike Wallace.

How do the offseason rules work? When does the dead cap space go away completely officially?

The Steelers are probably not going to trade Mike Wallace, especially for a 3rd or 4th round pick.

If the Steelers do end up trading Mike Wallace, they are not going to get anything better than a 3rd round pick, book it right now!!! I will be back to tell you "I said so". :)

Brown was actually a 6th which shows how well the steelers draft

Thanks, good catch and correction. I had a nagging thought that was the case, but was too lazy to look it up....

So, Wallace a #3, and Brown a #6.

Hmmmmmmm........

Know any other team that recently used a 3 and a 6 to take wide receivers? Any other team?

A team will all love and cheer for? :thmup:

Yup.... that's right!

Thanks, good catch and correction. I had a nagging thought that was the case, but was too lazy to look it up....

So, Wallace a #3, and Brown a #6.

Hmmmmmmm........

Know any other team that recently used a 3 and a 6 to take wide receivers? Any other team?

A team will all love and cheer for? :thmup:

Yup.... that's right!

Collie was a 4th and Garcon was a 6th, and with the right QB, both of them can be very productive. But neither of them is a game breaker like Mike Wallace. T.Y.Hilton is what we hope he can be with that kind of speed. Yeah, he is a couple of inches shorter than Mike Wallace but we will see how he pans out. Let him get healthy first. :)

That's an argument that goes either way. It's like what Denver did in their draft, focusing on defense. Since you have such a good QB, do you surround him with weapons to maximize his potential or do you put more top picks and stuff into the defense because your QB is so good, he can make below average WRs seem decent?

Come on now. Wouldn`t that be make average WRs seem Good? Brady does it. All the TOP QBs do.

:facepalm:

Do you honestly believe that Reggie is still an elite level receiver? And how would paring him with a talented yet limited receiver make them near the top of of the receiving dous in the league? The answer is it wouldn't.

Collie was a 4th and Garcon was a 6th, and with the right QB, both of them can be very productive. But neither of them is a game breaker like Mike Wallace. T.Y.Hilton is what we hope he can be with that kind of speed. Yeah, he is a couple of inches shorter than Mike Wallace but we will see how he pans out. Let him get healthy first. :)

T.Y. is NOT healthy? For some reason, this is news to me....

What is ailing him? How bad? And for how long? Is there a link to this news?

Thanks...

INJURY REPORT:

May 10 2012 - WR T.Y.Hilton suffered a strained quadriceps on the first day of the Colts' recent three-day rookie minicamp. The injury limited what the speedy Hilton could do in the workouts. "He is a little bit banged up. I know he can run and I know he is explosive. He has got a quad injury that he is dealing with right now. We saw (the explosion) on tape," coach Chuck Pagano said. "The first play I saw against Louisville he went 60 or 70 yards on a quick slant and ran away from everybody. It looked like everybody was standing still. Again, he is battling a little bit of an injury, so we know it is there."

They gave Mike Wallace a 2.5 million dollar tender that he has yet to sign. If he plays this year it will be the result of signing that tender. That's not a bunch of money by any means.

And if he doesnt sign that tender?

Doesnt make sense to turn down a 42 mil+ contract then sign a tender

Do you honestly believe that Reggie is still an elite level receiver? And how would paring him with a talented yet limited receiver make them near the top of of the receiving dous in the league? The answer is it wouldn't.

It's true.

Julio/Roddy. Nicks/Cruz. Jennings/Nelson. Austin/Bryant Getting into just rec options. Welker/Gronk. Welker/Lloyd? Fitz/Flloyd? Johnson/Pettigrew.

Sure they'd be good. But still bottom 10.

And if he doesnt sign that tender?

Doesnt make sense to turn down a 42 mil+ contract then sign a tender

I believe when he was under contract he was offered the 42mil then turned it down(if I'm wrong please correct me). After his contract was up, the steelers gave him a restricted free agent 1st round tender of actually 2.7 million which is what he would have to sign to play this year. As a restricted free agent, other teams have the right to mach the tender plus draft picks I believe, but I believe on the draft pick side the steelers keep demanding too much and no one has come forward to match Wallaces' tender.

In order to see the field this year, Wallace will have to sign the tender from the Steelers or another team must be wiling to give Wallace a better offer than the steelers, plus whatever draft pick(s) the steelers are looking for.

If neither of the two happen, then Wallace won't see the field this year. Wallace is probably going to wait out a little longer to see if anyone will give a better contract than the steelers. If not he will probably sign the tender, but will end up making much less than $2.7 million due to not playing any games. Obviously if you decide to sign your tender after 10 games have been played you will be getting a prorated amount and not the full amount.

I believe when he was under contract he was offered the 42mil then turned it down(if I'm wrong please correct me). After his contract was up, the steelers gave him a restricted free agent 1st round tender of actually 2.7 million which is what he would have to sign to play this year. As a restricted free agent, other teams have the right to mach the tender plus draft picks I believe, but I believe on the draft pick side the steelers keep demanding too much and no one has come forward to match Wallaces' tender.

In order to see the field this year, Wallace will have to sign the tender from the Steelers or another team must be wiling to give Wallace a better offer than the steelers, plus whatever draft pick(s) the steelers are looking for.

If neither of the two happen, then Wallace won't see the field this year. Wallace is probably going to wait out a little longer to see if anyone will give a better contract than the steelers. If not he will probably sign the tender, but will end up making much less than $2.7 million due to not playing any games. Obviously if you decide to sign your tender after 10 games have been played you will be getting a prorated amount and not the full amount.

Tbh i dont even know when he was offered that, but the steelers said hes not going anywhere so someones gonna give soon.

Tbh i dont even know when he was offered that, but the steelers said hes not going anywhere so someones gonna give soon.

Yeah it was a 1 year 2.7 million dollar tender. I believe they will work something out.

Come on guys...this isn't happening. I mean seriously...if you are the Steelers GM and you would have Mike Wallace for 2.7 million this year and then you could franchise him next year if you want or sign him or do a sign and trade then what would you do? No way I give up a player of his caliber set to make only 2.7 million this year for a middle round draft pick that will do NOTHING to help you this year! He is going to play or he is going to sit out. If I was him I would sit out like Vincent Jackson did a few years ago. 2.7 million is crap and the Steelers know it. He has the leverage because that offense is pretty predestrian without him and a new coordinator. It isn't worth getting hurt this year and missing out on a contract of 40 or 50 million plus next year for that miserable money he will get or the better than 10 million he would get if franchised next. I doubt he gets franchised because I don't think Pittsburgh has the money to do it and keep other key players but they may. Regardless I come back at week 10 and play the last 6 games and take my 1 million dollars and get my big payday next offseason. No reason to risk so much playing the whole year for a team that doesn't care about you enough to pay you what your worth.

He's in a tight situation which wouldn't exist if they would have worked out the long term contract when it was time.

But looking at it...if you were Pittsburgh...would you give up this talented a player that is only going to cost you 2.7 million...when you know you will get no help this year?

And if your Wallace would you play the full season for that contract? 2.7 million...that is nothing...might as well sit out and try to force their hand on a contract. If not you play the last 6 games for like a little more than a million....not much less then the 2.7 for the whole season...significantly less chance of getting hurt and puts lots of pressure on them.....then you can walk and get your big money. It isn't worth playing and risking injury for about a million dollars difference for 10 games when you are risking 40 or 50 million if you was to blow out your ACL or get a couple concussions.

If the Steelers do end up trading Mike Wallace, they are not going to get anything better than a 3rd round pick, book it right now!!! I will be back to tell you "I said so". :)

You can say "told you so" right now if you want. It's highly unlikely that Wallace is traded for anything. That's really what my point was. He has no leverage.

I expect him to show up to camp in a week or so, by the deadline. I believe he has to report 30 days before the season starts in order to accrue another season and be a free agent next year.

This situation highlights why the new rookie system is so much better than the old one. The four year contracts essentially abolish this form of restricted free agency. This is a situation where, putting aside any long term offers the Steelers might have made previously, neither side is necessarily wrong. Wallace's market value is well above the tender value, so I understand him holding out. But the Steelers aren't interested in enabling, so I get their stance.

Either way, I think it's highly unlikely that Wallace is traded, not unless someone blows their socks off. And that isn't a third round pick.

This trade isn't going to happen. I sincerely wish it would, but it's not.

People on this Forum seem to divide into:

1. The camp that wants the Colts to pick up every random player that gets cut

2. The camp that wants to find every reason to bash any player the first camp proposes.

I guess I think a lot of the "we should consider picking up player X from waivers" threads are over the top, and ultimately, this one is probably guilty of being unrealistic, but a ton of the posts in this thread seem to bash Wallace without facts.

For instance... He was taken in the 3rd round of the '09 draft, and has (for all intents and purposes) outperformed all of the WRs taken ahead of him that year (he was 11th WR off the boards that year, and since has been T1 in TDs, 5 in targets and receptions, 3 in rec%, 1 in yards and YPC among that class). People want to make Hakeem Nicks out to be a beast, but Wallace is right there with him statistically.

I know... his stats didn't live up to the hype last year. I drafted him too high in fantasy football, thinking he'd go off. Regardless, his play still improved, and that despite a QB playing a large part of the season battling injuries. In each season (much like a young Wayne), he has seen steady increases in targets and receptions. Perhaps the slight downturn in yards and TPC last year indicate that he was running more diverse and shorter routes than he did his first 2 years.

He is hardly a one trick pony. According to Pro Football Focus, he was fifth best in the league on slants, second on WR screens, and fifth on post and corner routes.

I think the guy would flat out blossom as a Colt... but it won't happen.

One last point...

I know there is a tendency to want to lump all players who cry about their contacts into a giant pool of players to be labeled "crybabies" or "locker room cancers". I'm not seeing it here. Yes, Wallace wants a new contract. But his stats have him at the tops of his draft class for all three years he's been in the league, and where DHB received an average of approx. $7.5M/yr with a healthy amount guaranteed (Crabtree ($5.3/y), Maclin ($3.1/y), Harvin ($2.4/y), Nicks ($2.5/y))... Wallace has been playing for just over $500K per year. The dude flat out deserves to be payed.

I've never heard anything to suggest that he's caused problems for the Steelers or the League, other than whatever headache this contract request gives them.

You need a bookend here:

If the Steelers do not end up trading Mike Wallace, they are not going to get anything worse than a 4th round compensatory pick when he leaves.

So there's your range.