Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What unproven players do you have a soft spot for?

funktacious2

A frequent theme of offseasons is the do or die mentality. Someone has to step up or they won't be here for long. Some players get drafted high but under-perform while others get drafted low, show some bright spots, but then they disappear off the radar.

Who do you often find yourself rooting for? Who do you still have faith in, and who do you think may still have a breakout season ahead of them? Or maybe you just have a rookie infatuation you want to share?

It's a slow part of the offseason, I know, but let's have some fun and gush. lol

Mine are:

1. Donald Brown (RB)- Drafted 1st round, always gets praise from coaches, has shown a few bright spots. His upside corresponds with both his youth and the belief of many that we haven't had the solid, strong O-line to support him.

2. Kevin Thomas (CB)- He was out his entire rookie season, and then the NFL lockout came, so I feel that Thomas was kind of just thrust into the mix of things. He has a really bad history of injuries, but he speaks with confidence which good because he has no time left for excuses. Word out of mini camp recently is hopeful, and a lot of people still project him to play opposite of Powers, but everyone seems a bit happier we at least picked up some back up. I won't say my hopes are high for Thomas, but I certainly have a soft spot for the guy.

3. David Caldwell- I'm too lazy to make sure, but I'm pretty sure Caldwell, like Thomas, was on on IR for most if not all of his rookie season. So similarly he was kind of expected to do a lot with little experience in the 2011 season. That didn't stop him from starting 13 games and tallying 67 tackles, and I remember seeing multiple interception attempts (which on a negative note should have been caught). Like Thomas I wouldn't say I'm really 'expecting' much from Caldwell, but I'll certainly be following his progress.

Rookies:

1. Vick Ballard- I have high hopes for Brown and I hope he becomes the definitive no. 1, but Ballard is talented and promising. Also I don't get excited about RBs anymore with our team, so this is nice. lol

2. Jabin Sambrano- Yes. I'm on this bandwagon. I'm not really sure what it is, but after i watched some interview of him online and watched some highlight, I'm become really impressed with how he carries himself and love his demeanor of just being thankful for the opportunity to come in and make the team. However, one thing to note is that he was told part of why he was brought in was special teams, so the hopes we have of him beating out expectations overshadowed by this fact.

And I won't gush about our TE's because almost everyone seems to have high hopes for them. :)

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Donnie Avery. I guess you could say he needs to be re-proven. I really think he could be a key to our offense if he's back to form, he can take the top off the D. Of course that assuming our O-line can give Luck time enough to throw.

On D, I'd love to see Rucker succeed. I just like his attitude.

Donald Brown- Hasn't really been able to prove himself because he was 2nd to Addai

Jerry Hughes- Great Player, but behind 2 of the BEST Pass Rushers in NFL History. And because he attended the College I'm attending this Fall

Jerraud Powers- Could be an Excellent CB, but the Injury Bug won't leave him alone

Drake Nevis- Could also be an Excellent Player, but the Injury Bug got to him last year. But I look for him to be outstanding this year

Drake Nevis- Started out great last year, i really liked what I seen in 2011 preseason, then he got injured so I hope he can come back from his injury and reak havic.

Darren Evans- I know he will probably either be cut or end up being like 4th string and only see playing time on special teams but I was really hoping to see what he could bring to the table. After watching him in preseason last year i thought he should've been 2nd or 3rd string. With all the competition and investments the organization has in other running it'll be extremely hard for Evans but i really think he has potential. If the colts drop him i hope he shines, if just given the opportunity i think he will be a very solid RB.

Ben Ijalana- I don't know much about him and we didn't get to see much out of him last year but with most of the 0-line being up in the air I hope he steps up and proves to be a solid 2nd rd pick, and helps sturdy up our 0-line. Theres still alot of ?s about his health as well so im hoping hes back to 100% by preseason.

Donnie Avery/TY Hilten- I'm also anxious to see if either of these guys can step up and be our #2 WR. I know most of you are going to say we already have a #2 in Collie and as much as i like collie (I and my fiance both have his jersey) i don't think hes a proven #2, he's a great slot receiver but i'm not sure if he has the speed and big play making ability to be a real great outside receiver. So I'm hoping Avery has the speed he claims and can learn to run crisp routes for Luck. The biggest thing i want to see out of Hilten is if he can be that big play maker on ST like a josh cribbs, leon washington, devin hester etc.

Jerry Hughes- Great Player, but behind 2 of the BEST Pass Rushers in NFL History. And because he attended the College I'm attending this Fall

I know you're a TCU fan, and as a Michigan fan I understand standing by my college's players blindly (looking at you, Braylon Edwards), but I don't have any soft spots for Hughes. He's bad by choice. He doesn't try, he doesn't care. People who are bad because of injury or because they're too small can have my sympathy, but Hughes is a bust because he doesn't care if he does well or not. He could excel in the 3-4, but I've given up on that. He still isn't trying, he still isn't performing. He's out of the league this time next year, IMO.

I know you're a TCU fan, and as a Michigan fan I understand standing by my college's players blindly (looking at you, Braylon Edwards), but I don't have any soft spots for Hughes. He's bad by choice. He doesn't try, he doesn't care. People who are bad because of injury or because they're too small can have my sympathy, but Hughes is a bust because he doesn't care if he does well or not. He could excel in the 3-4, but I've given up on that. He still isn't trying, he still isn't performing. He's out of the league this time next year, IMO.

what evidence do you have that he quit trying and doesnt care, hes 6'2 255lbs thats linebacker height/weight not to mention he plays behind Freeney so he hasnt had a chance

Andrew Luck...

....I dodn think he knows what's about to hit him media-wise ....and I hope he can survive

Honestly, I don't think you have to lose a minute's worth of sleep over Luck and the media. He'll be fine. I hope I have contributed in any way to your view of Luck and the media. I think Indy is a PERFECT city for him. He'll be nice and polite and respectful and give all the answers that are needed. He just won't do much more than that. He'll do what's required of him. He'll be fine.

He's smart, and savy. He's no hick. He spent part of his childhood in Europe and he and his sister would hop on a train and go to another country for a soccer game, or a European NFL game, or just to see a museum or something else famous. He's a pretty sophisticated kid. He won't be overwhelmed by anything.

Really. Seriously. He'll have more trouble dealing with the speed of the NFL game (all rookies do) and the sophistication of NFL defenses (whatever he saw while at Stanford can only prepare you so far). Those are the things that will give him trouble. But that's to be expected. All he needs is reps and game experience. Everything else should fall into place.

No worries.

what evidence do you have that he quit trying and doesnt care, hes 6'2 255lbs thats linebacker height/weight not to mention he plays behind Freeney so he hasnt had a chance

The Jets return. The coaches. Watching him play.

ya might be right but Id like to see what he can do in the new scheme some this year

If the coaches are saying he isn't impressive at this point, where anyone who does anything gets praise, he's probably sucking it up. I was hoping he would improve too, but I think he's done.

If the coaches are saying he isn't impressive at this point, where anyone who does anything gets praise, he's probably sucking it up. I was hoping he would improve too, but I think he's done.

probably is done, well hopefully someone else steps up, Im high on Jerrell Freeman but he is a MLB, he shows alot of speed, can hit and is a good tackler and can pick off a few passes if the oppurtunity is there

on;y a highlight video but I was impressed with his speed and instincts, I wonder if its just a matter of him getting the playbook down, I bet he makes the team if he does and shows a good hard work ethic

I would love to stand by Texas players here but sadly Indy doesn't take to kind to Longhorns

Josh Chapman... If he didnt get hurt in college he was a 1st round pick, i think he could be just what our D-line needs and has a great work ethic

Jerry Hughs... Hasnt seemed to learn what it takes to be a great player and he should have had an easy time with the knowledge Freeney and Mathis could provide him... No pitty party for him these days from me.

A frequent theme of offseasons is the do or die mentality. Someone has to step up or they won't be here for long. Some players get drafted high but under-perform while others get drafted low, show some bright spots, but then they disappear off the radar.

Who do you often find yourself rooting for? Who do you still have faith in, and who do you think may still have a breakout season ahead of them? Or maybe you just have a rookie infatuation you want to share?

It's a slow part of the offseason, I know, but let's have some fun and gush. lol

Mine are:

1. Donald Brown (RB)- Drafted 1st round, always gets praise from coaches, has shown a few bright spots. His upside corresponds with both his youth and the belief of many that we haven't had the solid, strong O-line to support him.

2. Kevin Thomas (CB)- He was out his entire rookie season, and then the NFL lockout came, so I feel that Thomas was kind of just thrust into the mix of things. He has a really bad history of injuries, but he speaks with confidence which good because he has no time left for excuses. Word out of mini camp recently is hopeful, and a lot of people still project him to play opposite of Powers, but everyone seems a bit happier we at least picked up some back up. I won't say my hopes are high for Thomas, but I certainly have a soft spot for the guy.

3. David Caldwell- I'm too lazy to make sure, but I'm pretty sure Caldwell, like Thomas, was on on IR for most if not all of his rookie season. So similarly he was kind of expected to do a lot with little experience in the 2011 season. That didn't stop him from starting 13 games and tallying 67 tackles, and I remember seeing multiple interception attempts (which on a negative note should have been caught). Like Thomas I wouldn't say I'm really 'expecting' much from Caldwell, but I'll certainly be following his progress.

Rookies:

1. Vick Ballard- I have high hopes for Brown and I hope he becomes the definitive no. 1, but Ballard is talented and promising. Also I don't get excited about RBs anymore with our team, so this is nice. lol

2. Jabin Sambrano- Yes. I'm on this bandwagon. I'm not really sure what it is, but after i watched some interview of him online and watched some highlight, I'm become really impressed with how he carries himself and love his demeanor of just being thankful for the opportunity to come in and make the team. However, one thing to note is that he was told part of why he was brought in was special teams, so the hopes we have of him beating out expectations overshadowed by this fact.

And I won't gush about our TE's because almost everyone seems to have high hopes for them. :)

CHAPMAN.... this kid could make Grigs look like a genius real fast...

and the kid can play. So... whatever... he drafted him.

On offense, I am rooting for an OL that has really been 'ripped apart' by some in the forums. Castonzo, Reitz, Satele, McGlynn and Justice.(You will be fine with this young QB) Use EVERY second of Training camp to learn and grow. (Throw in all of the OL back-ups too....Iljalana, Taylor, Link, Foster etc.)

On defense, the obvious answer is for a CB to step up and silence the critics. I will say, however I want to see back-ups who can go out and make a difference on the special teams. I feel that Freeman, Hickman, and Fugger offer that tenacity needed to change the course of a maligned Colts special teams.

Lastly, Like many have said....Josh Chapman! Show us you can be that anchor, and Nevis prove to us you can make a difference in a disguising 3-4 4-3 attacking defense!!

He's had chances, and done zilch. He's another Polian bust.

darn bro... how many did Bill miss on?

Drafting at the bottom of the 1st is not like drafting in the top ten. Which many teams still butcher. But Bill didn't.

A decade of stellar football and Bill couldn't draft all of a sudden?

C'mon now......

I think he drafted alot of times with certain player qualities in mind such as speed and smaller guys, unfortunately speed wont get you alot on defense if your undersized....you will bounce right of the bigger guy......our linebackers of the past did plenty of that, our defensive tackles were well undersized and didnt have a good get off on the line....our Corners couldnt tackle consistently and had average to poor instincts for the ball

Especially this year. The Longhorns D has some stars just waiting on that team now: Kenny Vaccaro comes to mind along with Jackson Jeffcoat and Alex Okafor

Yep. Wouldn't mind Drafting offensively in a few years. Come grab Jaxon Shipley & Joe Bergeron

He's not really an unknown player but at this point it's unknown how he will do but I am really hoping for big things from Freeney. I've have long thought that he is a much better all around player than what he was given credit and that he got the "poor against the run label" because of his size and the scheme. And I think this year, in this scheme, he has a chance to show that not only he is one of the NFL's best pass rushers, he is one of the NFL's best defensive players.

He's had chances, and done zilch. He's another Polian bust.

There is a poster on this forum who rewatched all the games last year and specifically watched Hughes and, after doing that, his opinion was quite a but different than both of yours. And no offense to either of you but that poster has proven that he understand what he sees on the field.

Also this thread was started so people could tell which player they are rooting for to do well, why do you feel the need to jump on someone's choice?